ADVERTISEMENT

OT: EURO 2024 Thread

Those losses still sting, particularly the Euto final versus France.

We got revenge at the World Cup in 06, but like they say, those crushing losses will always stay with you, sometimes even more so than dramatic wins.
No. Always savor the wins and don’t dwell on bad losses. Have we learned nothing as Rutgers fans?! 😎

As a long time fan of Italy I am relieved we got through. It was not pretty but I will take it. Sometimes it seems Italy hates offense almost as much as schiano.

Second game in row with last minute Hrvatski heartbreak. A long ways away from when we were in country for our yearly family reunion/vaca and saw their miracle trip to the WC finals a few years ago. My younger son has 2 or 3 Modrić kits. His favorite player. He has a lot in common with him - stature, skills, drive, and…coincidentally, my kid’s name is the American version of his. Then the rollercoaster. The complete shock and disappointment of the missed penalty. Seconds later, the high on his face when Luka scored was awesome. But, the look he game me at the end was awful. He was gutted. Completely. A little later I had the talk, lol. Son, you just experienced the beauty and the misery that is being a true sports fan. Now get up, dust yourself off and practice some penalties. And he did.

Reactions: RUPete
Really hate to see Modric go out like that. Brutal loss. You have to think this is his last big international tournament.

All we have to play for today is pride. Potentially Lewandowski's (though I just read that he feels differently, which is great) and likely Szczesny's last international game... Euros 2024 didn't go how we hoped, but will always be proud.

England and the USA are starting to remind me a lot of one another.
You could buy 10 USA teams for England's xfer/wage bill. England is a continuing colossal overrated disappointment*. The US is a totally different story.

*That said - they did advance. And they have players. Maybe they'll still do it somehow.

You could buy 10 USA teams for England's xfer/wage bill. England is a continuing colossal overrated disappointment*. The US is a totally different story.

*That said - they did advance. And they have players. Maybe they'll still do it somehow.
I’m talking coaching for the most part. Also an overall lack of “killer instinct.” Watch their games at Mulligabs in Hoboken and my English friends and I all feel the same way about our sides lol!

All the favorites are on one side of the bracket. If England could get their act together I'm not sure they'll ever get a better path. Will be a 3rd place finisher (although I guess that could be the Dutch), Italy or the Swiss after that, and probably Austria to get to the final.

All the favorites are on one side of the bracket. If England could get their act together I'm not sure they'll ever get a better path. Will be a 3rd place finisher (although I guess that could be the Dutch), Italy or the Swiss after that, and probably Austria to get to the final.
Of course the Italians and the Swiss are saying the same thing based on how lackluster England have been!

Reactions: cicero grimes
Of course the Italians and the Swiss are saying the same thing based on how lackluster England have been!
I would be shocked if England didn't win this thing
Also hoping they do (assuming they beat Italy) so they'll get the monkey off their back and not have karma to take home the WC in 2026

What's the next best matchup coming up to start the round of 16? France/Belgium?

Let’s be honest: Italy got lucky to get as far as they did. They haven’t looked good the entire tournament and it sure as hell caught up with them today. Also, zero passion whatsoever from this side, really look like they’re completely uninterested.

That being said what a phenomenal job by Switzerland. From the game plan to all 11 on the pitch you couldn’t have asked for a better match from them today.

Let’s be honest: Italy got lucky to get as far as they did. They haven’t looked good the entire tournament and it sure as hell caught up with them today. Also, zero passion whatsoever from this side, really look like they’re completely uninterested.
Switzerland can have that effect on teams - they really frustrate you. They are much better than I first thought.

That being said what a phenomenal job by Switzerland. From the game plan to all 11 on the pitch you couldn’t have asked for a better match from them today.
Can’t argue with that
Need to regroup and reload for a big run in World Cup 2026 here in the states

I could see us ending up having to play Italy in the round of 16 and dropping a 3-1 decision lol!
Hopefully, they will be in different brackets, the game from 06 was a classic, but for the sake of the fans, let’s keep them separate and if we meet up, have it be much later in the tournament

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Unless something wacky happens the path for England to the final is Slovakia, Switzerland, and maybe Austria. That's as favorable as it could possibly be (although the Swiss do continue to impress).

Austria has also looked good. Finished top in their group, ahead of both France and Netherlands.

How do these guys not blow out their poor knees with the celebratory slides. Is just asking for eventual knee surgery.

Agreed 100%. Italy barely made it to the group stage and did not look good today, while the Swiss just looked great.

Germany - Denmark has been entertaining with Germany looking better, but the Danes have had some nice counters. 50/50 on whether that German goal on the corner should've been disallowed for a foul - I thought the German player did interfere with the Danish keeper getting to the ball, but it wasn't egregious - tough call. Also, it took until there was lightning visible over the stadium to pause the game? That's way too late.

Neuer with an amazing save at the end of the first half (probably my favorite player, since I play keeper and love his style). And a Danish goal was just disallowed for offsides. It still boggles my mind how shitty soccer coverage is wrt/slow and insufficient replays. Clearly they have them (the VAR folks see them and we often see them much later), but don't show them for some reason.

Edit: and seconds later, a PK for Germany by Havertz puts them up 1-0 (perfectly taken).

Now, they just showed the offsides from a few minutes ago and the Danish player was off by a toe - literally. While the PK was given for a glancing blow off of a hand that barely affected the flight of the ball. Hate PK rules - IMO refs should have latitude to call something less than a PK when the foul/handball really didn't prevent an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

Nice turn of events for Germany. Finish it off.

Yes! Good try by the GK though. Place right in the corner out of reach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT