ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Exceptional Baked Ribs Recipe

SantaFeScarlet

All American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
A dear friend is a top executive chef & caterer and was kind enough to share her rib recipe with me, which is outstanding.

Start with frozen baby back ribs. They key is that the ribs are frozen when you prep them. Then dry rub the frozen ribs thoroughly with your favorite dry rub. Wrap the frozen dry-rubbed ribs in saran wrap and then wrap them in tin foil. Refrigerate for 4 days. As the ribs defrost over the 4 days the dry rub seeps into the meat. Then after 4 days of the ribs defrosting in the fridge, bake them in the saran wrap and tin foil at 200 degrees for 8 hours . The saran wrap does not burn or melt at 200 degrees and keeps the moisture and flavor sealed into the ribs.

Ohh la la are they superb!!!!

Enjoy!

MAke sure to remove the silver skin from the less meaty side of the ribs. IT is a thin membrane that can be a pain to remove but it makes the ribs easier to eat and the rub will seep in from both sides.

Originally posted by SantaFeScarlet:
A dear friend is a top executive chef & caterer and was kind enough to share her rib recipe with me, which is outstanding.

Start with frozen baby back ribs. They key is that the ribs are frozen when you prep them. Then dry rub the frozen ribs thoroughly with your favorite dry rub. Wrap the frozen dry-rubbed ribs in saran wrap and then wrap them in tin foil. Refrigerate for 4 days. As the ribs defrost over the 4 days the dry rub seeps into the meat. Then after 4 days of the ribs defrosting in the fridge, bake them in the saran wrap and tin foil at 200 degrees for 8 hours . The saran wrap does not burn or melt at 200 degrees and keeps the moisture and flavor sealed into the ribs.

Ohh la la are they superb!!!!

Enjoy!
Wouldn't the heated Saran Wrap touching the meat release poisonous chemicals?

The Saran Wrap is fine in the heat. Unfort, the 4day rub brine won't really impart much into the meat other than salt.

Interesting. Aluminum foil wrapped around the plastic wrap around the ribs? Why the aluminum foil?

Saran Wrap and the like don't contain "certain harmful plasticizers" that would leach out at elevated temperatures.

sorry dude.. but she ain't a top executive chef... they would NEVER use frozen.. she's just a caterer

If the RIbs are frozen and the time of wrapping would you still be able to get the membrane off? I know it is a pain in the ass to remove when they are not frozen.

Can you use the meatier "country style" ribs ? I picked up a package of those last week when they were on "manager's special" for $1.49/lb. I'm too cheap to buy baby backs.

Would this work for LoBro if you got it on sale at ShopRite?

Originally posted by R1776U:
sorry dude.. but she ain't a top executive chef... they would NEVER use frozen.. she's just a caterer
exactly. As I read the OP I was wondering not only why but where I would even get frozen ribs

You really shouldn't ever use country ribs for a "rib" experience... Spares or baby backs.

Frozen meat is fine, as a vast majority of pork sold in the us was sold frozen. I still see a lot of problems with this recipe. The consistency of them is going to be mush as you're essentially braising them in rendered fat and juices. To me, there's nothing worse than a fall off the bone rib. A desired outcome should always be pull of the bone with a light pull.

Also, you will have no crust on the ribs. The best part of any meat; steak, ribs etc is the crust. You don't get that here. Lastly BB ribs are the filet mignon of the pork world in that people order them expecting the best. It's all about the spares, much much better marbling and fat content aka flavor

Originally posted by MrsScrew:
exactly. As I read the OP I was wondering not only why but where I would even get frozen ribs
I was entertained at the idea of getting ribs and then freezing them for this purpose!?!?

Get cases of it at Restaurant Depot.

But more importantly... why would you?

We may have to vote to override RU4Real's objection to ribs and do them for a tailgate this season.

Originally posted by NoLondonBroil:

We may have to vote to override RU4Real's objection to ribs and do them for a tailgate this season.
you'll see my first thought was "why" then "where". but certainly "why, oh, God, why".

I was unaware of a rib objection. I vote yes for the ribs. that's 2 against 1...we win.

you'll see my first thought was "why" then "where". but certainly "why, oh, God, why".

I was unaware of a rib objection. I vote yes for the ribs. that's 2 against 1...we win.
2 to 2 - I vote for Hot Dogs.

Originally posted by RUScrew85:

2 to 2 - I vote for Hot Dogs.
3-2 ribs...you lose

Originally posted by miket007:

Sorry OP but ribs are for the charcoal grill ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
latest

not everyone has a smoker or a grill --gas or charcoal. There are ways to make pretty great ribs in the oven...starting with frozen product is NOT one of them.

Mrs screw... You often start with a frozen product and don't realize it. A vast majority of commercially available swine in this country is shipped frozen

Originally posted by bob-loblaw:
Mrs screw... You often start with a frozen product and don't realize it. A vast majority of commercially available swine in this country is shipped frozen
I didn't know that about some of the TTFP posters who visit our board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT