ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Global IT outage causing chaos with many systems.

WhiteBus

Hall of Famer
Oct 4, 2011
Airlines, banks, news associations...etc. going to be a long day for many.
US major airlines requesting the FAA for a global ground stop.
Your local news station may have production issue.

Awesome

All set to head to Cali tomorrow for a work conference and Dodgers - Sox

Hopefully it gets fixed today

Bad update. Not a hack
Good blog on the outage from the Times, including a nice summary of the event, below, which, as you noted, was from a flawed update of security software from CrowdStrike, not from any hack.

A massive global technology outage on Friday took down airlines, medical services, TV broadcasts, banks and scores of other businesses and services around the world, a stunning example of the fragile dependence the global economy has on certain software and the cascading effect it can have when things go wrong.

The outage was attributed to CrowdStrike, a cybersecurity firm whose software is used by scores of industries around the world to protect against hackers and outside breaches. A software update issued by CrowdStrike appeared to be at the root of the problem, resulting in crashes of machines running the Microsoft Windows operating system.

“This is not a security incident or cyberattack,” said George Kurtz, the chief executive of CrowdStrike. “The issue has been identified, isolated and a fix has been deployed.”

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/0...te=1&user_id=3f7a7d00850ad922736b3173646a296d

I've been helping out at the office bringing back systems. CrowdStrike pushed out a cyber security update which took systems down and caused a blue screen of death. Can't reboot them. Need to reboot in recovery mode under an administrative account, then drill down and delete a specific file. After that, reboot and the machine is fine.

Weird timing for this event as I'm in a Security Boot Camp all week and we've just spent a portion of our training this morning going over this issue.

My company had our annual disaster recovery test planned for tonight/tomorrow.

It's now cancelled.
I'm just glad I don't need to log in at 7:30am tomorrow.

Reactions: RU_DIO
I almost had a heart attack when I walked into my office at 4 only to be greeted by the "blue screen of death". Called IT guy in Manila to find out I wasn't hacked and it was a Crowdstrike sensor update issue. A few re-boots and I was up and running, but damn this is going to be costly for CS.

Seems the fix is relatively straight forward but for work computers you need admin privlidges and that's the bottleneck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT