ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Happy Columbus Day

According to UberEats

It's also "🌈 National Coming Out Day 🌈" today.

I wonder who's bright idea that was... to put it on Columbus Day of all days...

UberEats also says they are a "Safe Space" whatever THAT means for a food delivery service... 🙄

I just wish they'd stop commercializing their virtue signaling and just give me my damn burrito quicker and at a cheaper price. Without all those exorbitant "delivery and service" fees and 2-3hr wait times...

🌯

"One of the greatest explorers of all time." ????????
He was on his way to India, HE wasn't looking for new places to discover
But he was the one that made Europe interested in the Americas

Columbus could be considered an explorer that didn't find what he was looking for, but made an unexpected discovery

So, discounting it because you dislike KofC, Catholics, or just historical figures in general?
I do not dislike Catholics, being one myself.

I respect much of what the K of C does.

I am discounting the defense of Columbus because it is heavily biased. The de las Casas quotes are cherry picked to put it mildly. But I would not expect the K of C to provide an unbiased analysis.

Reactions: Scarlet Blind
Well , reading this thread was pathetic . Leave it to this place to piss on a holiday . Can’t wait for the happy Halloween thread where people complain about getting PTSD from scary costumes or cavities from m&m’s .
Happy Columbus Day to one and all !
Since Halloween is my birthday , can I start that thread also ?

Reactions: Plum Street
Interesting book to read “The Discoverers’ by Daniel Boorstin. Not just about exploration by Europeans like Columbus, Da Gama (whom he paints as a real sob), etc. Also covers astronomy, printing, calendars and time keeping, microscopy, medicine etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
However you feel about him there is really no reason to give him a holiday like Lincoln, Washington or Martin Luther King, or veterans. Maybe the holiday can be changed to something entirely different, celebrating an idea like being thankful or laborers rather than a person or people.

According to UberEats

It's also "🌈 National Coming Out Day 🌈" today.

I wonder who's bright idea that was... to put it on Columbus Day of all days...

UberEats also says they are a "Safe Space" whatever THAT means for a food delivery service... 🙄

I just wish they'd stop commercializing their virtue signaling and just give me my damn burrito quicker and at a cheaper price. Without all those exorbitant "delivery and service" fees and 2-3hr wait times...

🌯
Is this a once a year thing? If someone wants to come out, do they have to wait til next October? Asking for my friend...

Reactions: goru1869
However you feel about him there is really no reason to give him a holiday like Lincoln, Washington or Martin Luther King, or veterans. Maybe the holiday can be changed to something entirely different, celebrating an idea like being thankful or laborers rather than a person or people.
Agreed.

Just make it "People's Day" A day where we have a holiday, just because. No pretentious bullshit and fake cause for why we need the holiday. We have the holiday because we want one.

Or just make Halloween a federal holiday in October and get rid of this one all together.

Is this a once a year thing? If someone wants to come out, do they have to wait til next October? Asking for my friend...
What is this coming out you are speaking about ? Do you mean when little Johnny goes over to little Timmy's and asks him to come out and play ?

• Haha

Da Gama was a real genocidal religious nut.

Killed thousands of people just because they weren't Christians.

Real evil shit.

If there is a hell he'd be having a good ol time down there.

In the most horrific incident, da Gama intercepted a ship carrying Muslim families returning from a religious pilgrimage to Mecca in modern-day Saudi Arabia. Da Gama locked up the passengers in the ship's hull, and despite pleas from his own crew members not to do it, he set the pilgrim ship ablaze, slowly killing hundreds of men, women and children.

The Knights of Columbus sets the record straight about Columbus. Okay, I guess?
As an Italian, Catholic and member of the KoC, I laughed at your comment. I thought the same thing when I saw the link.

The most important fact about Columbus is that his original journal does not exist. His "journal" was written by a man named Las Casas, who apparently did not admire him, so its accuracy is doubtful. Even if it was partially accurate, language from the journal, as it was translated, was misinterpreted. When Columbus referred to natives as potentially becoming "good servants", there are historians who believe that he meant servants of God, not slaves.

When you study historical events, you have to consider primary sources, not someone's interpretation of history, or an article on the Internet. You also have to consider many other factors, including historical context. I'm not an expert on Columbus, but I've met many people who think they are. I love to ask them how they acquired their knowledge, and ask them if they ever read his original journal or any of his writings. It's amazing to you talk to people about history or current events, and ask them this question: "Well, that sounds very interesting. How do you know?"

Scarlet Jerry

The most important fact about Columbus is that his original journal does not exist. His "journal" was written by a man named Las Casas, who apparently did not admire him, so its accuracy is doubtful. Even if it was partially accurate, language from the journal, as it was translated, was misinterpreted. When Columbus referred to natives as potentially becoming "good servants", there are historians who believe that he meant servants of God, not slaves.

When you study historical events, you have to consider primary sources, not someone's interpretation of history, or an article on the Internet. You also have to consider many other factors, including historical context. I'm not an expert on Columbus, but I've met many people who think they are. I love to ask them how they acquired their knowledge, and ask them if they ever read his original journal or any of his writings. It's amazing to you talk to people about history or current events, and ask them this question: "Well, that sounds very interesting. How do you know?"

Scarlet Jerry
Las Casas was as primary a source as you are going to get. He witnessed the atrocities that Columbus ordered (or at minimum, permitted). In fact he participated in them. Later he had a religious conversion and became a Dominican friar.

To say that Las Casas did not admire Columbus is an understatement to say the least. What was there to admire? But that in no way invalidates his eyewitness testimony.

Do not forget that Columbus' brutality was too much for even the Spanish authorities to tolerate. He was arrested and returned to Europe in shame.

Besides the fact that he really didn’t do what we are “celebrating”…being married to a Caribbean woman, it is very difficult to look someone in the eye with their ignorant celebration without wanting to punch them. And if that offends anyone, don’t care…

Reactions: RUevolution36
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT