ADVERTISEMENT

OT: HBO The Wire

The joke when we joined the B1G we should have named our trophy something like "The Soprano Wire." or something relating the two shows lol.

I'm in MoCo Maryland which is about as far off from Baltimore as Manhatten is from Newark.

As a Hispanic, I don't culturally identify with the Italian mob or Baltimore street gangs, but the shows are great and two of my all-time favorites.
So its your ethnicity and not your moral values that prevent you from identifying with these shows? (yeah, I know you said "cultural".. just messing around).

I heard someone.. Robert Duvall I think.. talk about westerns in a way that applies to these kind of shows.. and the post-apocalypse shows as well.

In the west, the "rules" were pretty much what you could safely get away with. You could not rely on a police force to protect you. Nor can you as a member of a gang or the mob. Nor can you among the Walking Dead.

These show allow you to safely examine what you get from living in a society... they are exciting.. having to resort to self-policing in, well, the wild west.

Last edited:
I have been watching the Sopranos.On your say so I will take a shot at the Wire.I dislike contrived programs so I am sceptical of this one. The acting has to look real. Ala the Sopranos.
One thing about The Wire, be prepared to sometimes got lost on the dialogue, the street talk is very real and can get lost on you, so you might find yourself rewinding and saying to yourself "What the hell did Snoop just say??".

What I did was I watched every episode twice because the first time I was so focused on what they were saying that I would miss other stuff in the scenes.

One thing about The Wire, be prepared to sometimes got lost on the dialogue, the street talk is very real and can get lost on you, so you might find yourself rewinding and saying to yourself "What the hell did Snoop just say??".

What I did was I watched every episode twice because the first time I was so focused on what they were saying that I would miss other stuff in the scenes.
T hanks.I may give it a try.BUT,I am still a Soprano Freak.

Reactions: Jm0513
I didn’t like season 2 at first. But watching it again I came to appreciate it. The death of the white, working class in Baltimore is the theme. I can relate to that and I think many in New Jersey can to similar situations. My uncle was a longshoremen. The two leads in that season, frank and nick, are good.
I get it but at least bring it back. I would like to know what happened afterwards you know?

Ok, I thought it was only me who couldn't understand what they were saying so I shut it off. I text my brother and said I was having a hard time and idk if I can continue and he replied in caps "Millions of people loved this show except you! What is wrong with you?" :weary:

Best Snoop quote:
"Damn... you ain't even wait to get the mother****er in the house"
:)

Wow~ same here. I have watched the sopranos 5 times through and recently finished my 2nd lap of the wire. After GOT is finished I’ll probably do a 2nd lap. You pick up more things on each lap. Those 3 shows are amazing!!
I just wish I had the time to do so! My recent watches are handmaids tale, stanger things, a rewatch of dexter, and westworld. Currently on season 1 of marvelous miss maizel and loving it

I just wish I had the time to do so! My recent watches are handmaids tale, stanger things, a rewatch of dexter, and westworld. Currently on season 1 of marvelous miss maizel and loving it

Never watched handmaids tail, stranger things or westworld. Thanks for those suggestions.
Dexter, I watched the entire series and season 4 I watched twice. John Lithgow was brilliant.
Mrs Maisel I am up to date on both seasons. That’s a great show!!

Never watched handmaids tail, stranger things or westworld. Thanks for those suggestions.
Dexter, I watched the entire series and season 4 I watched twice. John Lithgow was brilliant.
Mrs Maisel I am up to date on both seasons. That’s a great show!!

It's a old show but on same time as Sopranos and The Wire, but The Shield about a dirty cop was great. Actually had a great ending too.

Reactions: Sideline20
Ok, I thought it was only me who couldn't understand what they were saying so I shut it off. I text my brother and said I was having a hard time and idk if I can continue and he replied in caps "Millions of people loved this show except you! What is wrong with you?" :weary:
Not everyone gets into it. In fact when I saw the first episode of the first season, I felt it moved too slow for me. Watched it a second time during the week and I was hooked for life. The thing about these episodes, and I think it's true of the Sopranos as well, I would always pick up new things on second, third, and fourth viewings.

It's a old show but on same time as Sopranos and The Wire, but The Shield about a dirty cop was great. Actually had a great ending too.
Every time I see "Lemansky" on another show I get angry at him... yeah.. I love how writers can get you to root for the bad guys. Walt and Jesse on Breaking Bad.. Jamie Lannister.. Dexter.. Loove the challenge the writers must overcome.. consider GoT.. they took a character who, in the very first episode.. did his adulterous sister and threw a young boy out a window.. and they make him sympathetic.. eventually.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
My Top 10 favorite characters from The Wire:

10) Stringer Bell
9) Marlo
8) D'Angelo Barksdale
7) McNulty
6) Bodie
5) The 4 Boys --- they can't be separated
4) Omar
3) Bunk Moreland
2) Bubble
1) Sgt. Colvin

I'm rewatching the Sopranos. I forgot what a frigin awesome show this is.

Last edited:
Reactions: tico brown
Inspired by this thread I finally started watching The Wire. Currently about halfway through Season 3. Great show!

Funny thing is I started watching the first episode right after happening to see some of the movie Rock Star so for the first few episodes I'd sometimes picture McNulty like this

iu

Reactions: BaseballFan913
Ever hear the name Ed Bianchi, from Paterson ? Probably not. I've met him several times thru my best friend from HS who produces Ray Donovan, and did Californication and House of Lies as well (all Showtime). Played poker with him once as well.

Well Bianchi directed and sometimes produced:

The Wire
Homicide, Life on the Streets
Boardwalk Empire
Law and Order
Deadwood
Mad Men
Billions
Men of a Certain Age (Ray Romano)
Damages
The Killing

and others. Not every episode of every season, but many seasons of these great shows above. How's that for a resume !

Bianchi discussing an early episode :
https://www.dga.org/Craft/VisualHistory/Interviews/Ed-Bianchi.aspx

ttps://www.dga.org/Craft/VisualHistory/Interviews/Ed-Bianchi.aspx

Last edited:
If you ever read the 247sports.com message board for Maryland we have a guy named Omar and a guy name Marlo Stanfield who constantly argue and hate each other.

It's just about the funniest thing.
That's pretty cool.

I liked Omar. He had a code.

Marlo was a dick.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
So the 20th anniversary of The Wire just happened. Here are some of the actors reflecting on the show that IMO is the best show ever. Im still waiting for a show to come close to this. Also if anyone has a chance check out David Simons newest show on HBO We Own This City, I never took Jon Bernthal serious as an actor but he kills his role in this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT