ADVERTISEMENT

OT-How many times you wear your dress shirts before laundering?

C0bra Kai

Redshirt
Nov 8, 2015
Just curious as to what you fellas on here do with regards to laundering your dress shirts?

Do you wear them once only and then have them laundered, or do you wear multiple times before laundering?

For years I've been re-wearing my dress shirts until they look too wrinkled or if I get a stain.. So I usually get a couple wears before laundering. I mean... I wear an undershirt every day so most of the shirt never even touches my body..and I don't really sweat either unless it's Summer-time.

I guess I'm lazy, don't want to schlep back and forth to the cleaners to do my shirts more often. How bout you guys? One and done... or something else?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
2. I do my own shirts. I shine my own shoes. I mow my own lawn. Don't let someone do something that you otherwise can do for yourself.

Iron after every use, even if they are non-iron. V-neck under always. Easy to find the slobs.

Last edited:
2 maybe 3. I do my own shirts. I shine my own shoes. I mow my own lawn. Don't let someone do something that you otherwise can do for yourself.

Iron after every use, even if they are non-iron. Easy to find the slobs.
Don't your shirts get ruined when you iron them after wearing? There is always gonna be some dirt on the shirt after even one wear.

3 is a stretch. Happens if I forget and put it in wrong place in the closet and the rotation gets messed up.

Also, the higher the end of the shirt, the more durable the cloth to handle the iron. You get what you pay for.

2. I do my own shirts. I shine my own shoes. I mow my own lawn. Don't let someone do something that you otherwise can do for yourself.

Iron after every use, even if they are non-iron. Easy to find the slobs.
One and done. There is an opportunity cost to my time. Every shirt I clean and iron is 5 minutes less time shooting hoops with my sons etc. The $1 per shirt I spend is the deal of a lifetime not because I get a clean shirt, but because I am literally buying time with my family.

Depends how dingy the Collar is. Usually can get 2 - 3 use before it's noticeably dingy. In the summer once use is usually all you'll get before needing to wash. I actually dry clean my shirts because I like crisp when I step out

One and done. There is an opportunity cost to my time. Every shirt I clean and iron is 5 minutes less time shooting hoops with my sons etc. The $1 per shirt I spend is the deal of a lifetime not because I get a clean shirt, but because I am literally buying time with my family.
Fair. I get up really early in the mornings and get some stuff done. Its my "listening to the WFAN time."

Last edited:
One wear and then into the laundry. Brooks Brothers no iron shirts are great. They are much easier to iron than other no iron shirts. I have yet to find a shirt that looks as crisp out of the dryer as it does after it is ironed. I do all of my own ironing; as I have found that sending them out reduces the life of the shirt.

Have only bought wash and wear, no iron, wrinkle free dress shirts from either LL Bean or Lands End for years, they hold up very well. Wear once then wash. Usually at least an 8 hour day.

Reactions: mdk01
Just curious as to what you fellas on here do with regards to laundering your dress shirts?

Do you wear them once only and then have them laundered, or do you wear multiple times before laundering?

For years I've been re-wearing my dress shirts until they look too wrinkled or if I get a stain.. So I usually get a couple wears before laundering. I mean... I wear an undershirt every day so most of the shirt never even touches my body..and I don't really sweat either unless it's Summer-time.

I guess I'm lazy, don't want to schlep back and forth to the cleaners to do my shirts more often. How bout you guys? One and done... or something else?

Trick question - I don't think I have any "dress shirts" and I certainly don't have any clothes "laundered" unless you count my wife doing the laundry on the weekend (her chore - I do some others). So, my shirts get washed after one wear and then I just wear them without ironing, as I'm way too busy to waste my time ironing. I do have a few of those "wrinkle-free" cotton shirts, which don't need ironing after washing - those are easy.

I so love that I've never had to wear "nice" clothes to work - I've never worn a tie at work and I might wear khakis if I have a major presentation with lots of VPs, but 95% of the time it's jeans, an Oxford shirt (which is what I wear on my days off, too), and deck shoes or sneakers - one small advantage of being in an R&D area. I've turned down interviews at other companies where I could make $20K more per year, just because they're known to dress more formally.

There is absolutely no standard answer to this, lol. I know some guys who would be well served the change shirts once during the day.

I get 3 wears out of them, except for the peak of summer, in which case it is obviously only once. But I sit in an office all day, so I am only really outside (or active) when I walk to and from my car in the morning and evening.

Once, unless I just wear it for a couple of hours and I'm somewhere where washing would be a pain in the neck.

I'm an Software Engineer, I only own 1 drest shirt for weddings and funerals. It gets washed depending on how long it's been between the two.
Okay, a more important question: "How many Hawaiian shirts do you own?"

Man I can't wait for Spring Ball or a recruit committing or SOMETHING related to football.

once,then if its dirty mix it with the chuck Roast that I just learned on here how to cook! SMH..

I sweat like a rainforest above 75 F. 75 or better=one and done. 65 to 75 one or two. below 65 or so. Two or three (as long as it doesn't get dirty, etc). Used to work with this consultant that never washed his shirts. trust me it was obvious.He was good natured about it. We used to say that if we crashed on a deserted island we'd want him with us. We could boil his shirt and make soup.

Twice. Unless I stain it. I wash 'em at home. And I always iron before each wearing. I'm a wrinklephobe.

LOL! You guys are great! I knew I wasn't the only one.

My wife dry cleans EVERYTHING! Costs a fortune... so we got to talking about it... and how often I bring my shirts to the cleaners... it got me thinking... is it gross??

I mean... if there's dirt on the collar of course I'll get it cleaned...but if it doesn't look dirty....

I should look into those no iron shirts. I was under the assumption that they didn't really work. They actually look good right out of the dryer?

Reactions: delaynomore
2. 1 and done I think would wear out the integrity of the shirt way before its prime. 5 white custom made shirts every year like clockwork. Once I start to see yellow order new shirts to be delivered. $45 from Thailand

30 years in my past corporate life as a suit and tie guy. Never wore they same shirt twice without washing /dry cleaning
Now in the beer biz and have no problem wearing a craft beer shirt without washing but never back to back days

Has anyone seen the recent report that links the chemical used in wrinkle-free no iron shirts to cancer? It is all about the formaldehyde.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-chameides/the-wrinkle-in-no-iron-sh_b_793703.html

Formaldehyde is a carcinogen, but all of the studies that show that were based on an inhalation route of exposure, not dermal, which is the primary concern for these shirts. Levels of formaldehyde released from the slow decomposition of the dimethylol dihydroxyethylene urea (DMDHEU; formaldehyde is not actually added to the cotton, rather, it is slowly produced in low levels by decomposition) cross-linker used to stabilize the cellulosic polysaccharide chains that make up much of cotton (such that these chains retain their shape and don't wrinkle) are exceedingly small and would never result in human exposures anywhere near the carcinogenic dose.

The primary concern with the very low levels of formaldehyde generatated from the DMDHEU is contact dermititis, which is typically reversible (and is not a route of exposure known or thought to be carcinogenic). Bottom line is people who are sensitive to very low levels of formaldehyde in contact with their skin probably shouldn't wear the shirts, while everyone else should have no concerns. I certainly don't. Formaldehyde in the chemical industry and workplace is a different story and exposures need to be controlled to well below any of the toxic/carcinogenic levels, using the appropriate engineering controls and personal protective equipment.

http://cen.acs.org/articles/91/i48/Wrinkle-Free-Cotton.html

I feel a bit hypocritical...my first thought was ewww...why would you wear a dress shirt more than once between launderings? But then I'll wear my jeans a few times between launderings. Or khakis. And I definitely don't dry clean my wool slacks or suits or wool sweaters after each wear. What's the difference?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT