ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I am now officially retired!

I would think a retired professor would welcome healthy debate. It’s not like we ruined a a 7 year olds birthday.
Sure, but kind of like a new recruit thread, let’s say congrats/welcome and not diverge into debates on other topics. Just my opinion, though I agree the discussions about the “value” of various schools, cost of higher education, etc are very personal decisions.

Last edited:
Sure, but kind of like a new recruit thread, let’s say congrats/welcome and not diverge into debates on other topics. Just my opinion, though I agree the discussions about the “value” of various schools, cost of higher education, etc are very legitimate, and personal decisions.
If I know my @camdenlawprof ...he’s loving it.

This is a thread that should be congratulating Camden. It devolves into all sort of debates about which school is better than others. Somewhat dysfunctional but not surprising...

Camden, congratulations. I’d encourage you to explore and follow your passions. Learn/improve your skills with a musical instrument, learn Russian or whatever language and read Pushkin or whatever literature in its original language, travel and learn about different cultures, enhance your cooking skills, walk/run/bike/swim or whatever to stay fit, watch great classic movies, mentor someone, cultivate interests that you like if/when you become less mobile, improve your finance skills, volunteer, write a novel or whatever fiction/nonfiction interests you, etc. Lots to do and enjoy!

Thank you for your very valuable and interesting suggestions!

Actually, he's not, on the grounds that, since he did not teach undergraduate students, the topic is wholly irrelevant to him. But he knows that it is impossible to keep any thread closely to the topic, so he is not upset.
The thread hijack was in bad taste. Basically calling you out in your own thread.

But this is a Rutgers board and we all have thicker skin because of it.

Enjoy your freedom!

Actually, he's not, on the grounds that, since he did not teach undergraduate students, the topic is wholly irrelevant to him. But he knows that it is impossible to keep any thread closely to the topic, so he is not upset.
That’s what I meant. :)

Reactions: retired711
The thread hijack was in bad taste. Basically calling you out in your own thread.

But this is a Rutgers board and we all have thicker skin because of it.

Enjoy your freedom!
Done by one guy who @camdenlawprof answered correctly.

And most of us don’t even talk to that one.

US News

Rutgers #56
Fordham #70
The same US news this board has a 10 page thread about each year upon its release? The thread that rails on how it’s BS and can’t be trusted.

Again. I’ve already stated majors matter. My nephews girlfriend got a scholarship to RU, got into NYU, and a full ride to St. John’s but didn’t get into some Marist program.

Marist might have rejected the student because they knew he would not attend if accepted

I had a friend in admissions at TCNJ and that was a standard move in the late 80's. Reject a strong student who most likely would not attend anyway.

Marist might have rejected the student because they knew he would not attend if accepted

I had a friend in admissions at TCNJ and that was a standard move in the late 80's. Reject a strong student who most likely would not attend anyway.
Whatever the program was it was her first choice even over NYU

Need to buy you a retirement drink. Staying in the Philly area?

Yes, we're sticking around. We don't see any reason to move. As you know, South Jersey is less expensive than the rest of the state; for one thing, our property taxes are lower than elsewhere because housing prices are lower. Beside, we're used to being here. But we will explore spending some time in Maine during the summer and the Florida Gulf Coast in the winter.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Congrats on retirement. Volunteer for a good cause is always a good way to kill time.

Love how you went 3rd person on us here like Jimmy on Seinfeld...

34rztl.jpg

As of today, I am retired from Rutgers -- maybe I should rename myself "camdenlawprofemeritus?" I have enjoyed being a professor, but it is now time to kick back and spend my time as I wish and that includes being in touch here. Best wishes to all of you!!
Congrats and I hope you enjoy the luxury of free time!

Congrats, Professor. Do exciting things the next 5 years then slow down and smell the roses. Been my plan the last 15 years and has worked just fine. Going to grandkids youth and HS sports ( if you're lucky enough to have some), may be more enjoyable than RU FB these days.

As of today, I am retired from Rutgers -- maybe I should rename myself "camdenlawprofemeritus?" I have enjoyed being a professor, but it is now time to kick back and spend my time as I wish and that includes being in touch here. Best wishes to all of you!!

Congrats.

Congrats and best of luck in your retirement! Given your intelligent, friendly and even-handed posts here, I'm sure your students (and colleagues) will miss those qualities in their professor. Hope you have some fun things lined up to do. Let us know how it goes - I'm fairly curious, as I'll be retiring at the end of the year, but am debating whether to do some other work or to try the goofing off completely approach.

Congrats! I hope you find a good balance of stimulating hobbies, charitable work and relaxation!

I'll retiring in 9 years at age 56. My pension will kick in then, and should provide me around $3500+, after taxes, every 2 weeks for the rest of my life. Thankful for my job.

Last edited:
Congrats and best of luck in your retirement! Given your intelligent, friendly and even-handed posts here, I'm sure your students (and colleagues) will miss those qualities in their professor. Hope you have some fun things lined up to do. Let us know how it goes - I'm fairly curious, as I'll be retiring at the end of the year, but am debating whether to do some other work or to try the goofing off completely approach.

Thank you for your kind words. The new issue of the New Yorker has a long review of a book regarding weather forecasting. According to Dwight Eisenhower, we won World War II because our meteorologists were better than the Germans'; perhaps not surprising because we had more data about the Atlantic than they could gather.

Thank you for your kind words. The new issue of the New Yorker has a long review of a book regarding weather forecasting. According to Dwight Eisenhower, we won World War II because our meteorologists were better than the Germans'; perhaps not surprising because we had more data about the Atlantic than they could gather.
I’ve learned thru my “consulting” work in the wild land fire community the meteorologist(s) is one of the most important players of the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT