ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is this a historically rainy year?

Yes it does. I am a tomato grower. 2015 and especially 2016 were extremely dry. I only remember a few T-Storms from June to Sept last year. My ground was soaked in May/June. The last few weeks have been nice amount to keep the garden moist.

depending on location rainfall is running slightly above normal for July but nothing crazy...some spots got deluges the past week that upped totals over average....the early part of July actually was quite dry. Last July I saw 7 inches IMBY...people have short memories.

Yes it does. I am a tomato grower. 2015 and especially 2016 were extremely dry. I only remember a few T-Storms from June to Sept last year. My ground was soaked in May/June. The last few weeks have been nice amount to keep the garden moist.

Agree. I watered my tomatoes about four times all year. Also I'm still cutting my lawn about once a week. Usually by this time it starts drying out and I only need to cut it maybe once every 2.5/3 weeks if not longer

Always seemed like too many NJ summers were either borderline to full-on drought conditions or washouts. Always preferred the droughts, so glad I found my way to virtual desert.

Think I've seen 15 minutes of rain since mid May. Fire restrictions kinda suck, though.

okay I checked my stats for Hillsborough...last year....July 2016 rainfall total was 7.91 including 17 days of measurable rainfall and a whopping 4.49 of it feel between 7/25-7/31

July 2017 has only 4.55 of rain with 2.78 of that falling in the last 5 days. July 2017 has only 10 days of measurable rain

People have short memories, it has been fairly wet the past few Junes and Julys...its actually the months of August and September than have trended drier in recent times

Reactions: RUaMoose
Having a hard time keeping the wood on the ARC I am building dry....other than that it has been fine.

okay I checked my stats for Hillsborough...last year....July 2016 rainfall total was 7.91 including 17 days of measurable rainfall and a whopping 4.49 of it feel between 7/25-7/31

July 2017 has only 4.55 of rain with 2.78 of that falling in the last 5 days. July 2017 has only 10 days of measurable rain

People have short memories, it has been fairly wet the past few Junes and Julys...its actually the months of August and September than have trended drier in recent times

90 days maps suggests something a bit different BAC. The 30 day for where I live is up like 1.5 inches to 6.5 vs. 5. That's a 30% increase. I do agree though, seems like early summer rain then drought than big rebound in Oct.

http://www.weather.gov/marfc/NJPrecipitation90Day

I guess RU #'only drops in when the thread is about frozen precip......
Actually #s has been working his ass off and has only popped in occasionally lately and hasn't made many posts. Just noticed this thread. It's true I don't care nearly as much about non-winter weather (apart from tropical systems), but for those who are interested, below is the summary of the first half of the year from my buddy Dave Robinson, the NJ State Climatologist - it's been quite warm statewide (3rd mildest since 1895) and near normal with respect to precipitation:

http://www.njweather.org/content/potpourri-weather-june-2017-summary-and-mid-year-recap

Statewide, the first six months of 2017 averaged 50.3°. This is 2.6° above normal and ranks as the 3rd mildest since 1895 (tied with 2010). Precipitation (rain and melted snow) averaged 23.15” across NJ from January through June. This total is 0.85” above normal and is 40th wettest.

An examination of stations within the CoCoRaHS network shows Monmouth and Ocean counties had the wettest first six months of the year, with overall totals 4.00”–5.50” above average. Locations in the southwest and northwest saw the least precipitation with totals 0.50”–2.00” below average. Six month totals topped out at 32.93” in Belmar (Monmouth), Lacey Township 32.09”, Lavallette (Ocean) 31.92”, Berkeley Township 31.85”, and Eatontown 31.58”. On the dry side, Burlington (Burlington) came in with 21.45”, Woodstown (Salem) 21.48”, Florham Park (Morris) 22.08”, Andover Township (Sussex) 22.10”, and Franklin Township (Gloucester) 22.26”.

As a result of generally ample precipitation, drought warnings and watches for much of the state were lifted during spring. Sub-normal reservoir levels in Hunterdon County have resulted in a drought warning continuing in that county and in Somerset County, further downstream in the Raritan basin.

90 days maps suggests something a bit different BAC. The 30 day for where I live is up like 1.5 inches to 6.5 vs. 5. That's a 30% increase. I do agree though, seems like early summer rain then drought than big rebound in Oct.

http://www.weather.gov/marfc/NJPrecipitation90Day

It was wet in April and May. I am just posting July totals compared to last year...now we do have a shot at 1-3 inches coming this weekend so we could approach last years totals.

I planted a new lawn from seed this spring that really took off early with all the rain in April and May. It hung in there through June but now big parts of it have started to crap out during the hotter and drier July. I probably could have been more diligent about watering, but I thought it could handle it considering how well it did up until now, plus chalking up some of the wear to it going dormant for the peak of summer. Hoping it's a combination, as a lot of weeds are starting to fill in the thin spots. I try to stay chemical free since I have 3 little ones that love running around the yard with their friends. I did water in Milorganite in June but that's just baked poo water from Milwaukee. Still kept everyone off until it got a handful of soakings.

Plan for the Fall is to give it a good scalp and overseed, and water water water to re-establish the good grass. Hopefully I can get the grass going good enough during the good growing season in Fall and next Spring to choke out the weeds when they try to come back.

I planted a new lawn from seed this spring that really took off early with all the rain in April and May. It hung in there through June but now big parts of it have started to crap out during the hotter and drier July. I probably could have been more diligent about watering, but I thought it could handle it considering how well it did up until now, plus chalking up some of the wear to it going dormant for the peak of summer. Hoping it's a combination, as a lot of weeds are starting to fill in the thin spots. I try to stay chemical free since I have 3 little ones that love running around the yard with their friends. I did water in Milorganite in June but that's just baked poo water from Milwaukee. Still kept everyone off until it got a handful of soakings.

Plan for the Fall is to give it a good scalp and overseed, and water water water to re-establish the good grass. Hopefully, I can get the grass going good enough during the good growing season in Fall and next Spring to choke out the weeds when they try to come back.
I tried the no chemical thing. Didn't work. I use turf builder when it's called for. Big difference it made. You're right though, watering is key. If you don't have a sprinkler system, best thing, I found, was to buy a timer you can set how often you want it go, how long, and what time. Was about $20 at Home Depot. Saved a ton of hassle.

That's true. Sometime he'll even start his own thread to do that.
I only start my own thread when some overzealous moderator blocks members even before Ive posted in another thread.
And yet its ok for you to bring me up in this thread before I even posted. Extra cranky these days Spanky? That time of the month??

Last edited:
the bergen record has the total for the year, along with the yearly average..... right now we are about 5 and 1/2 inches more than
normal for the year..... not a huge difference, but as some mention, could be higher totals for recent months.

And we're off!
"We're" not off, you're off. If you don't want to play the game don't start the game.
As a moderator you think you would have a little more class or restraint. But we all know you're not capable of either.
Next time you have the cramps and feel the need to call a poster out, just take a Midol and chill out.

Animal_House_Rolling.jpg

He's Rolling!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT