ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jersey Shore Real Estate Market Advice Needed

It isn't just locals vs visitors.

My grandfather and his 2nd wife who grew up in Manasquan bought a home up by the HS in the 50's. Once he retired they moved down here permantly till he passed almost 25 years later. He used to say to the locals he would always be the "Guy who bought so and so's house". Heck when I moved here FT there was an unspoken divide between people depending on whether you lived on the beach or town side of the bridges.

It isn't just locals vs visitors.

My grandfather and his 2nd wife who grew up in Manasquan bought a home up by the HS in the 50's. Once he retired they moved down here permantly till he passed almost 25 years later. He used to say to the locals he would always be the "Guy who bought so and so's house". Heck when I moved here FT there was an unspoken divide between people depending on whether you lived on the beach or town side of the bridges.
interesting...

interesting...
It can trickle down to the kids too…

We moved when my oldest was starting 3rd grade. He was reminded of that for the rest of his elementary years by some of his classmates.

His younger brother on the other hand started kindergarten years later and was considered “one of them” from the outset.

Thanks everyone for your advice. We took the plunge. We will be renting it heavily and have a couple of questions.

- LP Grill: are we better off just buying a cheapo and tossing every year or two or investing in something like a Wilmington that is made of a 304 stainless and hopefully last? Just not sure how bad it will get trashed by renters.
- Smart locks - is this the best way to go instead of managing keys with renters and contractors, cleaners etc? Any particular ones work better/last longer in salt air? Leaning towards Nest x Yale connect just not sure about longevity.

As always, appreciate the well rounded advice/knowledge this forum provides.

Thanks everyone for your advice. We took the plunge. We will be renting it heavily and have a couple of questions.

- LP Grill: are we better off just buying a cheapo and tossing every year or two or investing in something like a Wilmington that is made of a 304 stainless and hopefully last? Just not sure how bad it will get trashed by renters.
- Smart locks - is this the best way to go instead of managing keys with renters and contractors, cleaners etc? Any particular ones work better/last longer in salt air? Leaning towards Nest x Yale connect just not sure about longevity.

Congrats! Where did you end up buying? A must for me was getting Ring doorbells with the WiFi connection.

Reactions: scfa99

Weber with a cover (a good one) is fine. Mine has lasted longer because of it.

We use a Master Lock for our pavilion locker in Spring Lake and they hold up well considering it’s right on the ocean.

What town did you end up in?

To the OC peeps on this thread, does coming to OC for over 50 years have a special designation? Perhaps "regular visitor" rather than shoobie - LOL

On a side note, my mother has a picture (somewhere) of me and my siblings on the beach in OC (from the 60's) and a very famous blonde in the background. Can you name that blonde - hint 1 - the blondes family is from Philadelphia........
Grace Kelly?

Reactions: newell138

I use a Schlage with a Samsung smarthub and can change/add key codes remotely.

For the grill, I got a Weber with a cover. No issues so far.

Lastly, your cleaning person is the single most important piece of this. I would view them as a house keeper more than cleaning as you will need someone on the ground for things that pop up.

I use a Schlage with a Samsung smarthub and can change/add key codes remotely.

For the grill, I got a Weber with a cover. No issues so far.

Lastly, your cleaning person is the single most important piece of this. I would view them as a house keeper more than cleaning as you will need someone on the ground for things that pop up.
Agree on Schlage, but not sure if the Samsung smarthub adds value? We use our newer Schlage locks connected directly to the WiFi, and we can add and delete codes and get notifications.

Agree on the Weber grill, along with @e5fdny .

Same on cleaning person. Ask around your locale, and treat and pay your cleaning person well. Cleaning person is key, and ensure it is in their deal to clean the grill-they will charge extra, but it is worth it.

Also, find a good HVAC person to address any heating/air conditioning issues. They pop up from time to time. Same thing for plumber and electrician.

Lastly, a Blink or other type of security camera to monitor the front door (and back/side doors) in the off season (or when renters/you are not at the house) is a good investment. We have had good luck with Blink cameras.

Grace Kelly?
To the OC peeps on this thread, does coming to OC for over 50 years have a special designation? Perhaps "regular visitor" rather than shoobie - LOL

On a side note, my mother has a picture (somewhere) of me and my siblings on the beach in OC (from the 60's) and a very famous blonde in the background. Can you name that blonde - hint 1 - the blondes family is from Philadelphia........
That would be my guess as well

my neighbor was born and raised here, he’s about 85 I’d guess, played football at UPenn. He’s had some great stories about Grace Kelly and the family

That would be my guess as well

my neighbor was born and raised here, he’s about 85 I’d guess, played football at UPenn. He’s had some great stories about Grace Kelly and the family
I can't imagine anyone who ever met her would forget that face. What a beauty.

Hey guys thanks for the responses and tips. We ended up in Sea Isle. We wanted Avalon but just couldn't swing it and Sea Isle is more our scene anyway. Any other tips on renting a beach home would be appreciated.
Have a lawyer prepare your short term rental agreement. Short term rental agreements have different (generally, more lenient to landlords) rules/regulations than longer term rentals. We prefer to handle the rentals and do the tenant screening ourselves, as opposed to using a realtor. If your house will accommodate, have a large closet or room for cleaning supplies, extra linens, paper towels, soap, etc for the cleaning person and you to access, and perhaps to keep your own linens and towels and personal items.

Hey guys thanks for the responses and tips. We ended up in Sea Isle. We wanted Avalon but just couldn't swing it and Sea Isle is more our scene anyway. Any other tips on renting a beach home would be appreciated.
I have changed my mind with regard to the grill thing now that I know you’re renting it out. I miss understood and thought you would be the only one living there.

I’d skimp on that until and buy something cheaper until or unless you know you’re going to have a good set of regular weekly or seasonal renters.

Everyone wants to live on the seashore, wake up to the sounds of waves beating on the shore, watch the changing shades of the sea and ocean surface. By buying a house on the ocean coast, you can escape from the madness and bustle of the modern world. However, if you decide to realize your dream in life, you need to foresee many things in advance. The harsh realities of the ocean can turn your life ashore into a continuous nightmare if you do not take certain precautions. Before buying a property, it is advisable to rent it or a property nearby for a couple of months. Study how things are with roads transport. Find out if there is a factory or an airport nearby. Pay special attention to grocery stores! Use only reliable sources like realtysouth.com to buy property!

Last edited:
SIAP -- a bennie is a day visitor (so called because a visitor would bring a $100 bill -- which bears Ben Franklin's picture -- for expenses.)
I had never heard that one. So many to choose from.
“The origin of the term is disputed.[1][2] One common theory says the term originates from an acronym that was stamped on the beachgoers' train tickets, representing the city in which they boarded the train to the Jersey Shore: Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark, and New York City. The term "Benny" may also originate from the early 20th century practice of wealthy New Yorkers taking trips to the Jersey Shore as treatment for myriad maladies such as anemia, hemophilia, and hysteria. These therapeutic trips were called "beneficials" by doctors and patients. Often, visitors would claim to be at the Jersey Shore on a "beneficial", hence the term Benny.[3][4]"Benny" refers to Ben Franklin, whose picture is on the $100 bill. Still another theory refers to off-shore boat racing during the 1970s sponsored by the restaurant chain "Benihana's".

Reactions: retired711
SIAP -- a bennie is a day visitor (so called because a visitor would bring a $100 bill -- which bears Ben Franklin's picture -- for expenses.)
Thanks - somebody did answer already, but did not include the etiology of the phrase. But what’s with the $100 bill? A suggestion that these day visitors are well-heeled?

Congrats on your purchase! Many happy years. One little furniture tip. Good idea to get Sunbrella - indoor/outdoor cloth that washes easy and lasts pretty good. We got some Sunbrella sectionals at Raymour & Flanigans and had delivered directly to shore house.

Thanks - somebody did answer already, but did not include the etiology of the phrase. But what’s with the $100 bill? A suggestion that these day visitors are well-heeled?
I had always thought that Ben was on the $50 bill -- but that's Ulysses Grant. I think the phrase is an old one, but $100 used to be a lot of money.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
I had never heard that one. So many to choose from.
“The origin of the term is disputed.[1][2] One common theory says the term originates from an acronym that was stamped on the beachgoers' train tickets, representing the city in which they boarded the train to the Jersey Shore: Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark, and New York City. The term "Benny" may also originate from the early 20th century practice of wealthy New Yorkers taking trips to the Jersey Shore as treatment for myriad maladies such as anemia, hemophilia, and hysteria. These therapeutic trips were called "beneficials" by doctors and patients. Often, visitors would claim to be at the Jersey Shore on a "beneficial", hence the term Benny.[3][4]"Benny" refers to Ben Franklin, whose picture is on the $100 bill. Still another theory refers to off-shore boat racing during the 1970s sponsored by the restaurant chain "Benihana's".
"Bennie" pre-dates the Benihana Races.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
I remember when it was the Hennessy Offshore Grand Prix, and it changed to Benihana around 1976. Some great footage of the Manasquan Inlet and the throngs of people on both sides and the boats. Used to be a huge event. I remember going out on my father's boat to watch the race each year.

At that point my family were still members of the old Penninsula House Beach Club in Sea Bright and would only see/hear the boats on their northern part of the course.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Talking about things no longer here, Gee-Gee's Pizza on the Manasquan "boardwalk" announced they're done.
When we walked by on Friday, we noticed a sign that said it was opening in May. I don't recall that Gee Gee's used to close in the winter- it stayed open year round. With more people living in Manasquan year round, it would seem Gee-Gee's could stay open and make money, but guess not.

Just looked at their website, and it says "founded in 1987." Wha? Gee Gee's was there in the early 1980s and probably earlier.

Also, on our walk, we noticed a sign on Carlson's Corner that it was for rent/sale.

When we walked by on Friday, we noticed a sign that said it was opening in May. I don't recall that Gee Gee's used to close in the winter- it stayed open year round. With more people living in Manasquan year round, it would seem Gee-Gee's could stay open and make money, but guess not.

Just looked at their website, and it says "founded in 1987." Wha? Gee Gee's was there in the early 1980s and probably earlier.

Also, on our walk, we noticed a sign on Carlson's Corner that it was for rent/sale.
Yeah.

I know the “change” guy for the video games from way back when. We didn’t do Manasquan back then, just know him now as an adult. But I’m pretty sure he had that job before 1987?

Yea seem to remember that sign at Carlson's appears most winters. I know it was there a couple of winters ago because I called the number a couple of times without a return call.

Yeah.

I know the “change” guy for the video games from way back when. We didn’t do Manasquan back then, just know him now as an adult. But I’m pretty sure he had that job before 1987?
I worked at "The Corner Store" on 1st and Ocean Ave (now "The Breeze"- a Skynyrd song!) in the summers of 1984 and 85, and unless my memory is failing, it was Gee Gee's back then. There was an old guy with a mustache, and two older women who worked the counter for a very long time.

The linked story from 2011 is in line with my memory (Guess an 11 year run is it for the current owners):

"Obviously, with summer in full swing, the front of the house sees a lot of activity, which is how Gee Gee's has endured more than 40 years. "

"The general manager has been here 27 years, he was here two owners ago," said Jeff Terry.

So, that puts it back to at least 1971.

It was announced on Instagram. Leaving after 30+ years. Still doing the ice cream shop. i remember Gee-Gee's being open on weekends a few winters mostly for kid parties and late night pizza but not recently. I assume once Leggetts expanded their operation it hurt the business. Don't know if true but was told the current owners are stepping away and the younger gen wants no part. Someone will come in but who knows what it will be.

Seems to me Carlson's has been for sale on and off for years. A guy who was a couple years behind my sister in HS leased and ran it for a couple years. iI don't know if it's the current price but at one time you could have owned it for $1.7 million. I thought about it but didn't want to reach into 2 pockets for the cash.😄

Last edited:
Reactions: NotInRHouse
It was announced on Instagram. Leaving after 30+ years. Still doing the ice cream shop. i remember Gee-Gee's being open on weekends a few winters mostly for kid parties and late night pizza but not recently. I assume once Leggetts expanded their operation it hurt the business. Don't know if true but was told the current owners are stepping away and the younger gen wants no part. Someone will come in but who knows what it will be.

Seems to me Carlson's has been for sale on and off for years. A guy who was a couple years behind my sister in HS leased and ran it for a couple years.
I read the Instagram post. It was signed by the Bryant family, not the Terry's, who were in the linked article from 2011 and who purchased Gee Gee's from Fred Bryant in 2011. Maybe it was sold back to the Bryant family.
Hadn't been to Gee Gee's in a lot of years, as parking is always difficult in that area.

I read the Instagram post. It was signed by the Bryant family, not the Terry's, who were in the linked article from 2011 and who purchased Gee Gee's from Fred Bryant in 2011. Maybe it was sold back to the Bryant family.
Hadn't been to Gee Gee's in a lot of years, as parking is always difficult in that area.
I am not sure if I am remembering this correctly but I think the Bryants stepped back in after Sandy. Gee Gees was wiped out and I remember hearing the Bryants did not want the new owners to have the extra burden of a rebuild. I believe the Bryants still owned the note on the property.

Last edited:
I am not sure if I am remembering this correctly but I think the Bryants stepped back in after Sandy. Gee Gees was wiped out and I remember hearing the Bryants did not want the new owners to have the extra burden of a rebuild. I believe the Bryants still owned the note on the property.
I did some Google searches, and saw that Gee Gees did get some post Sandy aid. That makes sense now, and totally forgot that based on the Patch article, the Terry family took over in March 2011, and then Sandy happened in October.

Reactions: kupuna133
I did some Google searches, and saw that Gee Gees did get some post Sandy aid. That makes sense now, and totally forgot that based on the Patch article, the Terry family took over in March 2011, and then Sandy happened in October.
Before

BEACH2008+008.jpg

After

beachfront-manasquan.jpg

What is your go to pizza place? Squan Tavern?
First Ave pizza is good when it is open in the summer.
Squan is always 1st choice. If I don't feel like driving, I'll walk to 1st Ave Pizza. People I know like Jimmy's on 71 in Brielle. Can't offer an opinion.

By the way if Carlson's doesn't interest you, the Riverside Cafe is also on the block. I believe a bit north of $2 million.

I think the owners of the condos across from Legetts are petitioning DJais to open a second location in the former Gee Gees. The best people are saying.

Reactions: knightfan7
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT