ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ITT We List Towns In New Jersey That Have Unusual Names

Forked River, just because someone decided to mispronounce it, and now everyone does it
Kind of like the Raritan River. The RU Alma Mater mispronounced it to maintain proper poetic meter, and now everyone does. Well, most people on this board anyway.

South Hackensack comprise of three discontinuous sections under one township government. The main part is south of the City of Hackensack. Another part is stuck between Carlstadt and Moonachie. The last part is like three blocks long and two blocks wide tucked into the borders of Wallington, Garfield, Lodi, and Wood-Ridge.

Bergen_County%2C_NJ_municipalities_labeled.svg

South Hackensack comprise of three discontinuous sections under one township government. The main part is south of the City of Hackensack. Another part is stuck between Carlstadt and Moonachie. The last part is like three blocks long and two blocks wide tucked into the borders of Wallington, Garfield, Lodi, and Wood-Ridge.

Bergen_County%2C_NJ_municipalities_labeled.svg
Since you brought it up, Lodi is a strange name.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
West New York, NJ
The ex town of the Lighthouse Restaurant. Great food with huge portions. Every table would get a large wooden salad bowl with chunks of iceberg, cucumber and ripe tomato with Italian seasoning. Also a crusty loaf of bread. Eventually sold and more of an entertainment/upscale place. Great view of NYC.

Arthur Kill as well

Both perhaps more of an association with NY than NJ due to the Dutch in New Amsterdam

Equal parts NJ and NY, really. What we call NJ was part of New Netherland as well. Come to Jersey City and you can see what’s left of the Dutch settlement at Bergen.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Sooy Place

Yes, it's a real town, look it up. I used to live there. It's officiall pronounced so-ee, but everyone in the area pronounces it sue-ee. It's an unincorporated community located within Tabernacle Township in Burlington County. The founder's fist name was Yoos.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
But very different places
Brick and Wall have become more alike in the last 30 years. Growing up, Wall had a lot more open space, but as it developed, I remember my mother saying that Wall was turning into Brick. That has not happened, but Wall now has a lot more retirement communities. It broke my heart when they developed the land that was the old Bennett's Sand and Gravel Pit to turn it into a retirement community. The property on the other side of Lakewood Road was one of area's best sled riding hills. Now it is home to another retire community and the Shop Rite Plaza.

In the Herbertsville area, Brick and Wall are indistinguishable.

There is a bar in Asbury Park called the Brickwall! It really would sound better if it was called the Wallbrick.

Moo-Nah-key.......It is between Little Ferry and East Rutherford just north of the Meadowlands....There are some good restaurants in that area.
I know where it is. A dearly departed friend of mine was from the area, and years ago, he busted my balls mercilessly when I pronounced it with the emphasis on Moon. But I forgot. Correct to say that the emphasis should be on the "NAH"?

moo NAH key?

I know where it is. A dearly departed friend of mine was from the area, and years ago, he busted my balls mercilessly when I pronounced it with the emphasis on Moon. But I forgot. Correct to say that the emphasis should be on the "NAH"?

moo NAH key?

Correct.....

Highlands

Atlantic Highlands

“What’s the difference?” you ask...

“A BIG difference!” is usually the reply

Reactions: Scarlet4Shore
Talking about pronunciation, back in my youth we used to go to the Plainfield-Edison drive in and they did commercial announcements between shows. Cracked me up when the announcer would plug a business in “Ma too chin” (Metuchen)

The ex town of the Lighthouse Restaurant. Great food with huge portions. Every table would get a large wooden salad bowl with chunks of iceberg, cucumber and ripe tomato with Italian seasoning. Also a crusty loaf of bread. Eventually sold and more of an entertainment/upscale place. Great view of NYC.

Absolutely breathtaking view of Manhattan at night.

Reactions: RUsince52
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT