ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kaiser Roll or Hard Roll?

Where are you from and what do you call this roll?

• NY/North Jersey - Kaiser roll

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • NY/North Jersey - Hard roll

Votes: 38 59.4%
  • PA/South Jersey - Kaiser roll

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • PA/South Jersey - Hard roll

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters

ScarletDave

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2010
Well add me to the list who was very confused seeing “hard roll” all this time in the Taylor Ham threads, now realizing it’s the same thing. Someone said, maybe it’s another cultural divide thing? I’m curious.

for the sake of this thread, South Jersey is if you call it Pork Roll and North Jersey is if you call it Taylor Ham (sorry central Jersey)

Well add me to the list who was very confused seeing “hard roll” all this time in the Taylor Ham threads, now realizing it’s the same thing. Someone said, maybe it’s another cultural divide thing? I’m curious.

for the sake of this thread, South Jersey is if you call it Pork Roll and North Jersey is if you call it Taylor Ham (sorry central Jersey)
It is Pork Roll in central Jersey on a Hard Roll.

There are no central jersey options please start a new thread
I was on my honeymoon in LA California in 1985. One morning I went to a deli near the hotel and asked for a hard roll with butter. The guy looked at me like I was crazy. Luckily the guy behind me said " I think he means kaiser roll". I had no idea what a kaiser roll was but I got my buttered hard roll.

We don't get either down here and I miss them hugely. Will never forget taking Skillethead Jr to White Rose in Northern HP (maybe south Edison) and telling him we were getting a buttered hard roll and coffee for breakfast on the start of a long drive. He was 12 and was a bit surprised that he was getting coffee and had no idea what a buttered hard roll was.

When he first bit into the hard roll, he turned to me and said, "this is like the best thing imaginable to have on a car ride." He also loved his first coffee.

That was 31 years ago. Remember it like it was yesterday. Love both hard rolls and kaiser rolls. Never thought much about the difference between the two.

Bacon, egg and Swiss on a Portuguese roll…salt/pepper/hot sauce
Central Jersey

Sunday mornings were made for hard rolls and iced crumb buns.

f5135d370a71bfd00987aab9f168b175.jpg

c52ecbe662b66947a5866eea5e314886.png

Last edited:
When I worked on College Ave would often walk over to Easton for a buttered hard roll on my way to the office for a buttered hard roll.
Also pork roll and cheese for lunch - they put enough pork roll on for two sandwiches.
“Forget the rest, we are the best”

In North Jersey hard is most common but both are used. I generally say hard, but will use kaiser from time to time. Growing up my mother used to get the best kaiser/hard rolls at Zimmerman's in Elizabeth. I believe it was an industrial bakery. I am more of a sesame fan but their poppy rolls were awesome. North End Bakery was also know for their hard/kaiser rolls.

Sobo= Sausage egg and cheese
Bobo= Bacon egg and cheese
Pobo= Pork roll egg and cheese

All on a HARD roll from Central Jersey. ✔

Reactions: goru1869
Yeah, wtf?
I guess since we're from Monmouth County we really can't partake in this poll. I identify with neither of those places. So I abstain.

And @e5fdny "fight for your right" you're now Central Jersey and have been for a while we must put up a united front to be recognized. We must not give in to this injustice.

I guess since we're from Monmouth County we really can't partake in this poll. I identify with neither of those places. So I abstain.

And @e5fdny "fight for your right" you're now Central Jersey and have been for a while we must put up a united front to be recognized. We must not give in to this injustice.
I just ignore the stupidity like this one….
Bacon, egg and Swiss on a Portuguese roll…salt/pepper/hot sauce
Central Jersey
and move on.

I mean who does this?

Last edited:
I like a Kaiser and there is a difference.
Yeah, I thought Kaisers were the ones with poppy seeds. A little softer inside than the other rolls but still a crisp or firmness on the outside.

This is a leftover from WW1. Prior to then it was only referred to as a Kaiser roll. It was brought over by the huge number of German immigrants to the USA. During WW1, a war against the German Kaiser, all things German were discriminated against. So a Kaiser roll became a hard roll, German chocolate cake became Swiss chocolate cake, Frankfurters became hot dogs, and German shepherds were referred to as Alsacians.

Reactions: RUShea
I’ve never specified, I just say “… on a roll” and take whatever the place gives me. If I don’t like it, that’s my problem.

I will say this though, if you get your egg sandwich on a bagel, I don’t even want to know you.

Last edited:
I once asked for a sandwich on a hard roll at a deli near Boston College (back when RU played football games there every other year). Bewildered guy behind the counter said..."I can give you a stale one"...

• Haha
Reactions: robcac26
I’ve never specified, I just say “… on a roll” and take whatever the place has. If I don’t like it, that’s my problem.

I will say this though, if you get your egg sandwich on a bagel, I don’t even want to know you.
I am okay with it if it’s just that.

But a pork roll, egg and cheese belongs on a roll (whatever you call it).

And don’t get me started on that brioche crap I saw earlier in the thread.

And in Morris county ...... "German Valley" became Long Valley during WWI due to similar reasons

Central. I feel like “hard roll” is predominant in Monmouth County. I have seen some confused responses in Middlesex County to hard roll.

I’ve never specified, I just say “… on a roll” and take whatever the place gives me. If I don’t like it, that’s my problem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT