ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Let's break down the lawsuit filed against the Giants and Jets over the usage of 'New York'

Complete breakdown: Someone, and his attorney, either expects to get a cheap "go away" settlement or has too much time and money on their hands if the attorney isn't handling it on a contingency basis. Anyone know what NJ has as precedent for awarding sanctions, including the respondent's attorney fees, for filing a frivilous lawsuit

Dumb suit, but I remember the Giants suing some guy selling NJ Giants stuff (& iirc they won)

Do they really benefit by using the NY name? I’m pretty sure ny state contributes nothing to either team. I would prefer they change their names to nj but I would never sue them for it.

The Jets tried to build a stadium on the west side and were blocked.

Not sure if it was true, but I remember hearing years ago when the Jets, Oakland, and some other teams that moved were being discussed that if an NFL team moves less than 50 miles, they can (or must) keep the same name (don't remember the particulars.) I have no idea what happens if they want to change it.

Reactions: ashokan
The judge will keep it as NY since they are both terrible teams. We don't NY trash in NJ.

Dumb suit, but I remember the Giants suing some guy selling NJ Giants stuff (& iirc they won)
I remember being able to buy NJ Giants stuff in the 80s.

My beef is with the Red Bulls.👎

Do they really benefit by using the NY name? I’m pretty sure ny state contributes nothing to either team. I would prefer they change their names to nj but I would never sue them for it.

The Jets tried to build a stadium on the west side and were blocked.

Taking the suit seriously, I think this is the only legitimate claim.

However, it's not a class-action suit then.
Individual citizens would have no standing to sue the teams for their use of and benefit from the name "New York".
It would have to be the State of NY filing the lawsuit.

Note - Not a lawyer but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Especially annoying since New York City FC became a thing
I was annoyed even before since I thought there was some sort of ordinance/law which stated you had to have New Jersey in the name.

I don't really pay any attention to either team or their league but do consider them to be NJ teams. If anyone happens to mention NY and the NFL to me, I ask them if they're talking about Buffalo.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Both teams have been New Jersey teams for almost a half-century. I have been calling them New Jersey Giants, New Jersey Jets, New Jersey Knights, New Jersey Hitmen, New Jersey Sky Blue, New Jersey Red Bulls since they moved here. By the way, the New Jersey Generals and the USFL are back next month.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I never cared that that they kept the New York name when they came to NJ. Only thing I didn't like was when they changed the helmets from "Giants" to "NY". Giants represents all fans regardless of state. Changing to "NY" when you play here was alienating. And yes I know it was NY back in the day.

I never cared that that they kept the New York name when they came to NJ. Only thing I didn't like was when they changed the helmets from "Giants" to "NY". Giants represents all fans regardless of state. Changing to "NY" when you play here was alienating. And yes I know it was NY back in the day.
I go back and forth on that.

I see and agree with the “GIANTS” is more for everyone. But that NY script and those uniforms are one classic look.

The NY they used in between looked awful IMO and was glad to see it go.

Feel the same way about the new look for the Jets. Not a fan at all

Loved when Parcells brought back the old one even though the green wasn’t the same.

Not sure if it was true, but I remember hearing years ago when the Jets, Oakland, and some other teams that moved were being discussed that if an NFL team moves less than 50 miles, they can (or must) keep the same name (don't remember the particulars.) I have no idea what happens if they want to change it.
Cowboys don't actually play in Dallas but in Arlington 21 miles away (less than Manhattan to E Rutherford). Port Authority is from 1920s. I'm sure there must be a pretty substantial complex of legal and economic codification between states. I know Giants list E. Rutherford as main address but they are registered as a foreign corporation in both NJ and TX. Their trademarks are registered in NY. Of course they began in NY in 20s. I' know players live in both states but I'm sure NJ has more (and the coaches lived there since the move). I wonder how the NYG taxes work? Must be a tangle.

The Cowboys haven’t been the Dallas Cowboys since they left the Cotton Bowl in 1971, a half century ago. Texas Stadium was in Irving and Jerryworld is in Arlington.

Very few cities have at least one team in all four major sports. The only ones I can think of are Denver, Philadelphia, Detroit, and Chicago. Chicago will drop off when the Bears move.

Holy crap! Did anyone notice the San Francisco 49'ers don't even play in San Francisco and I've never ONCE see the New England Patriots play in New Hampshire!!!!!

there's money to be made!!!!!

Manhattan to E. Rutherford is about 12 miles…..but at least Dallas and Arlington are in the same state!
True but cities, states etc can get stressy over who owes who taxes. When rich people leave NYS they go and hunt them down with audits. "You can check-out any time you like, but you can never leave!" lol

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT