ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MLB and Cleveland Indians/Guardians, really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That might be true for most Americans, but one group seems pleased

Here’s the full statement from the CLE Indigenous Coalition as posted by the Lake Erie Native American Council’s Facebook page on Friday morning:

This momentous occasion is the culmination of over 60 years of grassroots advocacy and activism by Indigenous leadership. Today, we stand with our heads held high and full of gratitude to those who came before us in this fight.
Our community has worked tirelessly to be recognized as diverse and vibrant, instead of being portrayed in inaccurate and harmful ways. This name change will help create a place where Native American children and their families are valued and fully seen.

We are pleased the Cleveland baseball team took a comprehensive approach to listen and learn and show it is possible to take steps toward change. We now call on the nearly 200 schools in Ohio with Native mascots to follow suit.

So the American Indians have Karens too.

No doubt that in testing surveys the team admins found out women like the name. That's how things roll now.
Weird post, yet again. I know that may be somewhat true with regard to healthcare and family healthcare decisions but haven’t seen much of that relative to sports marketing.

Should have been the Spiders - there was a Cleveland Spiders team 100+ years ago. Would have been cool, unique and a throwback. Stupid.
That’s what I favored too. If they were determined to change the name, tip your cap to history. And the creative possibilities off that name and logo would have been endless.

lol see what I mean...hahaha another sprite upset and has to resort to 'feelz'

you're a joke here, your view is retarded, your assessment is wrong, be onest with us, you lick the stick right?
Yes, I'm the one upset. Lol.

Keep boycotting, bro.

This tread is a fine example of good people on both sides!
The participants in this thread arguing would all have an excellent time with each other tailgating at an RU football game, regardless of their political beliefs.
My two cents
I agree 100% Zap, but notice who started the name calling, so I might have to shake my beer can up a little and point it to the extreme left of the tailgating. I got my peaceful protest thought out!!!! What does fsg2 stand for, Fugase Jr.?

Reactions: zappaa
I agree 100% Zap, but notice who started the name calling, so I might have to shake my beer can up a little and point it to the extreme left of the tailgating. I got my peaceful protest thought out!!!! What does fsg2 stand for, Fugase Jr.?
You tailgate Little League? Kinda alchy.

Everyone born in America is a Native American. It doesn’t matter if your ancestors came from England, Ireland, Poland, Laos, Nigeria, Chile, Australia, Tibet or Mongolia.
That means everyone in the Americans is a Native American.
Born in Chile, Argentina, Prue, Mexican , Panama along with Canada.
Cris C came over in 1492 seen the natives and dubbed them Indians because he hoped he was in India. But only reached the Antillean islands in the in the Caribbean Sea.
Making all the natives Caribbean Island countries Native Americans .
So now besides he South and Central American Countries along with North America USA & Canada, we have Cubans , Haitians, people living in the Dominican Republic , Jamaica and all the other island countries people able to claim they're Native Americans just like those of us born in the USA can claim.
Just think if Cris didn't get lost and did make it to India his first voyage , we might be pissed that the Clevland Native Americans changed their name to the Indians because Cubans and those born in the USA of European Heritage, along with a bunch of Canucks didn't like the name Native Americans being used and felt it an affront to their Native American status .[roll]😏

Agree that it's a bad name, but half the folks posting here are fans of a team called "The Mets" (including me). Easily a much worse team name. Maybe the worst in pro sports.

So the American Indians have Karens too.
RUScrew85 , the woke in me has to whine, please refer to those you call Indian Karens by their right handle.
The name is Geiweni using the Cherokee Nation's language .
Please don't act like a Goshe ( means dog in Apache)
How would you like it if I said you were a boy named Sioux 😁

Which way? I'm assuming you mean the Mets is worse. A Met isn't even a thing. (And I used to work at The Met!)
You assume wrong, Professor. 😉

Metropolitans IMO was used to get the Brooklyn and Giants fans onboard and maybe steal a few Yankee fans along the way…

- Colors of the NYC flag
- Dodger script for Mets
- Interlocking NY for the Giants
- Pinstripes from the Yankees

They have all the bases (see what I did there 🙂) covered by the name and the color scheme.

RUScrew85 , the woke in me has to whine, please refer to those you call Indian Karens by their right handle.
The name is Geiweni using the Cherokee Nation's language .
Please don't act like a Goshe ( means dog in Apache)
How would you like it if I said you were a boy named Sioux 😁
Larry Doby Jr. and I played on the Montclair Apache’s when we were 15 years old.
The Apache’s were an all African American men’s team….except for me

Reactions: RUfinally2008

Metropolitans IMO was used to get the Brooklyn and Giants fans onboard and maybe steal a few Yankee fans along the way…

- Colors of the NYC flag
- Dodger script for Mets

They have all the bases (see what I did there 🙂) covered by the name and the color scheme.

I had thought the colors were the Dodger blue and Giants orange.

Reactions: Section124
You can find a Seminole Indian coalition who think their portrayal buy FSU is flattering and they’re proud of it
yes the Seminole Tribe has a great relationship with FSU.
The university established a scholarship program that pays the way for students from the six Seminole reservations to attend Florida State.
FSU calls them selves the Seminoles and not a name members of that tribe finds offensive
Both the Seminole Nation and the University have been working for years to keep a good relation with each other and make sure disputes are handled in a way that satisfies both parties,
Since it's a tribe being honored instead of a generic name that might be disliked by tribe members, I feel the FSU/Seminole Tribe relationship doesn't adequately void any Native American complaints about names related to them being used that they feel is insulting to them..

How would you feel if Cleveland in honor of Italians called them selves the W*** or G******.
Can only imagine the uproar if Washington Football Team changed from the Redskins to Blackskins

Some Italians might not care, nor some blacks get upset, but bet-U- by-golly-wow, a lot of people in both groups would get upset

Last edited:
I’m not a fan of the woke left but very much not a fan of the belligerent right. Just to be clear “Native Americans” are American Indians who were the first inhabitants of the region known as America. Those people were subsequently moved onto reservations for the most part, if not killed by disease;, etc by the original European settlers. I don’t know if there is a significant American Indian population in Ohio, but I think they should have had the final say about the Cleveland Indians name … whether they considered it offensive.

- Colors of the NYC flag
- Dodger script for Mets

They have all the bases (see what I did there 🙂) covered by the name and the color scheme

Woulda been more effective to just win some more games along the way 😆

How's it a reach? Isn't that name over a 100 years old? Wasn't it good enough for all those years? How many of these changes being forced down our throats does it take for you to stop making excuses for it? The Scarlet Knights might have to go back to The Chanticleers, if it pisses off the right people I guess. lol. There was even a joke article written about it a couple of years ago. That's how it starts, lmfao. Go ahead smart as$, bust my balls about it, I don't give 2 $hits.😇https://www.theodysseyonline.com/rutgers-chanticleer-mascot

So a group of people who aren't from India (and from whom an entire continent was stolen while they were raped and killed, btw) don't like being called Indian, and that angers you?

How's it a reach? Isn't that name over a 100 years old? Wasn't it good enough for all those years? How many of these changes being forced down our throats does it take for you to stop making excuses for it? The Scarlet Knights might have to go back to The Chanticleers, if it pisses off the right people I guess. lol. There was even a joke article written about it a couple of years ago. That's how it starts, lmfao. Go ahead smart as$, bust my balls about it, I don't give 2 $hits.😇https://www.theodysseyonline.com/rutgers-chanticleer-mascot

But more importantly, I don't understand what impact this has on history. Changing a team's name or taking down a statue doesn't mean things stop being taught. It means we stop glorifying them. And I'm ok with that.

yes the Seminole Tribe has a great relationship with FSU.
The university established a scholarship program that pays the way for students from the six Seminole reservations to attend Florida State.
FSU calls them selves the Seminoles and not a name members of that tribe finds offensive
Both the Seminole Nation and the University have been working for years to keep a good relation with each other and make sure disputes are handled in a way that satisfies both parties,
Since it's a tribe being honored instead of a generic name that might be disliked by tribe members, I feel the FSU/Seminole Tribe relationship doesn't adequately void any Native American complaints about names related to them being used that they feel is insulting to them..

How would you feel if Cleveland in honor of Italians called them selves the W*** or G******.
Can only imagine the uproar if Washington Football Team changed from the Redskins to Blackskins

Some Italians might not care, nor some blacks get upset, but bet-U- by-golly-wow, a lot of people in both groups would get upset
My suggestion was Windtalkers:

- You honor the Native American contribution in defense of our Nation
- Done the right way, you keep most of the uniform*
- The alliteration works too
Washington-Redskins-football-corner-back-Darrell-Green-2002.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: zappaa

- Colors of the NYC flag
- Dodger script for Mets

OK, imagine you've got a team. You can choose between Guardians and Mets. I'm a fan of both teams. Pick Guardians every time. (And I don't like Guardians. A guardian is someone who stands around and doesn't do anything.)

And, you could have done all those things and still not named them the Mets. You really think people from Brooklyn would not have become fans if they had called themselves the Skyhawks?

OK, imagine you've got a team. You can choose between Guardians and Mets. I'm a fan of both teams. Pick Guardians every time. (And I don't like Guardians. A guardian is someone who stands around and doesn't do anything.)

And, you could have done all those things and still not named them the Mets. You really think people from Brooklyn would not have become fans if they had called themselves the Skyhawks?
The name works because it includes everyone in the City....that's who they are really named after.

The point isn't which name is better, Guardian or Mets, it's the fact that groups of snowflakes forced a name change

The name works because it includes everyone in the City....that's who they are really named after.
"New York" includes everybody in the City. Metropolitans is redundant. And dumb. But I'm still a fan, just like I am of the Giants and Jets, even though they don't have Jersey in their names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT