ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MLB and Cleveland Indians/Guardians, really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"New York" includes everybody in the City. Metropolitans is redundant. And dumb. But I'm still a fan, just like I am of the Giants and Jets, even though they don't have Jersey in their names.
That’s a location. The Metropolitans are who inhabit it.

How cool is that, a team named after you and all your friends. 👍 LOL

As for the worst…any organization who uses the singular thing: Sting, Heat, Avalanche, etc.

Weird post, yet again. I know that may be somewhat true with regard to healthcare and family healthcare decisions but haven’t seen much of that relative to sports marketing.

You missed a yearly Octobers of pink clothes and women's causes in NFL? Sports marketing is full of women specific marketing because leagues/networks see woman as the decision makers 70-85% of the time

With regard to viewers, NFL made a big deal out of stating that men watch sports for the games and women watch for "the narratives." Leagues/networks go out of their way to whip-up a lot of fluffy-dramas about players, teams etc.

You can catch the narrative vibe in Cleveland talking about its new name (based on statues near a road):

"Brian Barren, Cleveland’s president of business operations, said ..We think Guardians is unique and authentic to Cleveland...It’s less about the Guardians of Traffic and more about what the Guardians represent and that idea of protection. For us and our research, Cleveland folks are very protective of one another...They’re protective of our city, they’re protective of the land and everything about it. "

That's totally a femme vibe with that "protection stuff. A basic name like "Browns" or "Steelers" has no narrative juice. But "Guardians" is what the marketers call "aspirational/inspirational" and women like that stuff.

I guarantee that when teams heads were talking about a new name a first question would be about what the women like .

Reactions: RUScrew85

As for the worst…any organization who uses the singular thing: Sting, Heat, Avalanche, etc.
Hockey is terrible, but Avalanche is a perfect name. Singular names work when the plural option is no-go, at least if they're fitting.

Sting sounds lame but light years better than Metropolitans.

You missed a yearly Octobers of pink clothes and women's causes in NFL? Sports marketing is full of women specific marketing because leagues/networks see woman as the decision makers 70-85% of the time

With regard to viewers, NFL made a big deal out of stating that men watch sports for the games and women watch for "the narratives." Leagues/networks go out of their way to whip-up a lot of fluffy-dramas about players, teams etc.

You can catch the narrative vibe in Cleveland talking about its new name (based on statues near a road):

"Brian Barren, Cleveland’s president of business operations, said ..We think Guardians is unique and authentic to Cleveland...It’s less about the Guardians of Traffic and more about what the Guardians represent and that idea of protection. For us and our research, Cleveland folks are very protective of one another...They’re protective of our city, they’re protective of the land and everything about it. "

That's totally a femme vibe with that "protection stuff. A basic name like "Browns" or "Steelers" has no narrative juice. But "Guardians" is what the marketers call "aspirational/inspirational" and women like that stuff.

I guarantee that when teams heads were talking about a new name a first question would be about what the women like .

Why would the NFL not want to attract women viewers, again?

Reactions: BLewis1968
As opposed to the good old days when women shut their mouths and got dinner on the table promptly, lessen they got some knuckles to the eye.

Amirite?!

Many more pro and college athletes are giving their women knuckles to the eye more than ever before. As cities, families, colleges, sports, infrastructure etc collapse into decay all around, a look back shows the "good old days" were safer than what there is now. Heck this year there are something like 3500 unruly passengers who had to be restrained - some punched women staff in the face and knocked teeth out.

Many more pro and college athletes are giving their women knuckles to the eye more than ever before. As cities, families, colleges, sports, infrastructure etc collapse into decay all around, a look back shows the "good old days" were safer than what there is now. Heck this year there are something like 3500 unruly passengers who had to be restrained - some punched women staff in the face and knocked teeth out.

People are garbage, sure. But I wonder what could have happened this year to explain that?

Down here, they have a weird way of referring to teams via singular and plural. They might be talking about the All Blacks, and say, "New Zealand are a tough side this year."

When I think of dumb team names, I also include names that are no longer associated with the place, like the Los Angeles Lakers and the Utah Jazz.

Now that I think of it, Cleveland also has the Browns, dumbest name in pro football, Guardians is probably appropriate.

Stay well e5.

The point isn't which name is better, Guardian or Mets, it's the fact that groups of snowflakes forced a name change
like the Lake Erie Native American Council and The Cleveland Indigenous Coalition ???
Native American organizations that pushed for the change.

Down here, they have a weird way of referring to teams via singular and plural. They might be talking about the All Blacks, and say, "New Zealand are a tough side this year."

When I think of dumb team names, I also include names that are no longer associated with the place, like the Los Angeles Lakers and the Utah Jazz.

Now that I think of it, Cleveland also has the Browns, dumbest name in pro football, Guardians is probably appropriate.

Stay well e5.
I should have used that one as well to make my point. Agree with you there.

I don't hate the Guardians name, and after hearing the "why" part I get it.

But I think as others have pointed out too...Spiders would have been a great one:

- fun name to say
- some history with it
- done right, a good uniform and logo would have sold like hotcakes

Always happy to see you contributions in a thread. I look forward to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUScrew85
I’m not a fan of the woke left but very much not a fan of the belligerent right. Just to be clear “Native Americans” are American Indians who were the first inhabitants of the region known as America. Those people were subsequently moved onto reservations for the most part, if not killed by disease;, etc by the original European settlers. I don’t know if there is a significant American Indian population in Ohio, but I think they should have had the final say about the Cleveland Indians name … whether they considered it offensive.

They were slaveholders, too, right? Are we sure we want the descendants of slaveholders to have any influence on what a professional sports team gets to call itself?

You care to cite verified statistics? As if physical violence against woman did not happen 40; 50; 60 years ago? Come on man, this romantized view of the past is absurd. Violence has been an entrenched part of American culture from the get go…whether you want to accept that fact or not. Read some real history books. The issue now is woman in general have much more economic freedom which is different from decades past. That has created a problem for some people. Either evolve and grow or get more angry and bitter.

The new name sucks but I find it interesting that so many people have issues with the "WOKE" when the WOKE happens to be Native American's that are unhappy about something or Blacks unhappy about something or any other minority. But when their Asses are upset- It is their American right to storm the Whitehouse or converge on Government bldgs in places like Michigan fully armed.
Anyway- new name is bad. but if Native Americans wanted a change, it is a good thing to change it.

I should have used that one as well to make my point. Agree with you there.

I don't hate the Guardians name, and after hearing the "why" part I get it.

But I think as others have pointed out too...Spiders would have been a great one:

- fun name to say
- some history with it
- done right, a good uniform and logo would have sold like hotcakes

Always happy to see you contributions in a thread. I look forward to it.
Couldn't agree more on Spiders! Would've been great! I'll adjust to Guardians. Maybe someone will come up with a cool shortened version of it or something.

They were slaveholders, too, right? Are we sure we want the descendants of slaveholders to have any influence on what a professional sports team gets to call itself?
I’m not sure what you mean. American Indians who were moved onto reservatons were slaveholders? I’m pretty sure the vast majority of slaveholders were of European descent. Anyway, I think people need to be less fearful and more open to some of these issues.

I’m not sure what you mean. American Indians who were moved onto reservatons were slaveholders? I’m pretty sure the vast majority of slaveholders were of European descent. Anyway, I think people need to be less fearful and more open to some of these issues.

Wikipedia - "The Cherokee was the tribe that held the most people in slavery. In 1809, they held nearly 600 enslaved Africans. This number increased to almost 1,600 in 1835, and to around 4,000 by 1860, after they had removed to Indian Territory. Cherokee populations for these dates are: 12,400 in 1809; 16,400 in 1835; and 21,000 in 1860. The proportion of Cherokee families who held others in slavery did not exceed ten percent, and was comparable to the percentage among white families across the South, where an "elite" group of people held most of the people who were enslaved for labor and profit."

I’m a right leaning guy.
The team indicated previously the name change was coming. It came. Unless you are an Indians fan who gives an F? What does it matter ?

Team names change all the time and this wasn’t a surprise. Do I agree? I’m not a Native American so it’s not my place to say. Do I care? No. Why should I? I’m not a fan of the team.

Team names change all the time and always will.

St Johns ? Where did the Redmen go?
Washington Bullets?
Cripes I had a friend who played for the Elon Fighting Christians. Now the Phoenix.

What does it matter? Such a weird thing to get bent outta shape over.

Wikipedia - "The Cherokee was the tribe that held the most people in slavery. In 1809, they held nearly 600 enslaved Africans. This number increased to almost 1,600 in 1835, and to around 4,000 by 1860, after they had removed to Indian Territory. Cherokee populations for these dates are: 12,400 in 1809; 16,400 in 1835; and 21,000 in 1860. The proportion of Cherokee families who held others in slavery did not exceed ten percent, and was comparable to the percentage among white families across the South, where an "elite" group of people held most of the people who were enslaved for labor and profit."
Ok .. I wasn’t aware that the Cherokee’s ( I’m not sure of other Indian tribes) were slave holders. However, are you trying to argue that the several million slaves who were held by Europeans in the US should be discounted? Additionally it could be argued that the same culture/mindset of humanity which was predominate in the US was integral in establishing names like the Cleveland Indians.

Ok .. I wasn’t aware that the Cherokee’s ( I’m not sure of other Indian tribes) were slave holders. However, are you trying to argue that the several million slaves who were held by Europeans in the US should be discounted? Additionally it could be argued that the same culture/mindset of humanity which was predominate in the US was integral in establishing names like the Cleveland Indians.

No, my point was that if we are going to give unilateral decision-making power to a handful of "offended"* in a particular identity group ... while simultaneously discounting the input of the descendants of a different identity group because of who their ancestors were ... then maybe we need to know what skeletons the ancestors of the first identity group have in their historical closet.

* I put "offended" in quotes because I do not really believe any of the native americans demanding a name change were actually offended. I believe they are willing to feign offense to gain any tiny sliver of additional power that might be derived from it.

Hmmm, another political thread full of vitriol (and worse), still going strong at 5 pages, despite the board policy of not allowing political threads. I'm sure it'll get locked now, though, since I've posted in it, since my posts are obviously so incendiary, especially if I type the magic 5-letter word, lol. Need to make the board safe for the snowflakes, I guess...

Hmmm, another political thread full of vitriol (and worse), still going strong at 5 pages, despite the board policy of not allowing political threads. I'm sure it'll get locked now, though, since I've posted in it, since my posts are obviously so incendiary, especially if I type the magic 5-letter word, lol. Need to make the board safe for the snowflakes, I guess...
I'm guessing your weather threads have pissed people off, lmfao. No worries, someone will cry and lock it, whatever, lots of good points made, and it's amazing how divided we are on so many topics in this country. Look no further than peoples reaction to several USA Women's Soccer team players taking a knee during OUR national Anthem. Many have expressed happiness at their shocking 3-0 arse beating. People are fed-up with all this "'woke" bull every time you turn on the TV. Wasn't there once a bill called The Fairness Doctrine, maybe it's time to reinstate it and hold the media to it, both sides before our country burns to the ground. Can anyone argue that this should be ENFORCED?https://mtsu.edu/first-amendment/article/955/fairness-doctrine

Last edited:
I'm guessing your weather threads have pissed people off, lmfao. No worries, someone will cry and lock it, whatever, lots of good points made, and it's amazing how divided we are on so many topics in this country. Wasn't there once a bill called The Fairness Doctrine, maybe it's time to reinstate it and hold the media to it, both sides before our country burns to the ground. Can anyone argue that this should be ENFORCED?https://mtsu.edu/first-amendment/article/955/fairness-doctrine
The history of the Fairness Doctrine is exactly what you don't want. It was a tool used by the political party in power to squash criticism or alternative views in radio media.

The history of the Fairness Doctrine is exactly what you don't want. It was a tool used by the political party in power to squash criticism or alternative views in radio media.
Oh geez, I honestly didn't know that. On paper, it seems like the answer to what we are witnessing today. Maybe we could draw something up to hold politicians to fairness and honesty, lol

So a group of people who aren't from India (and from whom an entire continent was stolen while they were raped and killed, btw) don't like being called Indian, and that angers you?

You realize they were raping and killing each other and the folks that came before them too, right? Let's not make it out to be anything more than another subjugation in a history of subjugations that has been going on since the beginning of time. Americans (Europeans) were no more evil then the rest of us humans. Less so if you take into account the pioneering of ending slavery.

Last edited:
I’m not a fan of the woke left but very much not a fan of the belligerent right. Just to be clear “Native Americans” are American Indians who were the first inhabitants of the region known as America. Those people were subsequently moved onto reservations for the most part, if not killed by disease;, etc by the original European settlers. I don’t know if there is a significant American Indian population in Ohio, but I think they should have had the final say about the Cleveland Indians name … whether they considered it offensive.

They weren't the first unless you count every population that was there before them as American Indians. And the folks before them were killed and raped just as much as those European settlers did to the current American Indians.

Agree that the Indian's opinions should count a lot. However merely naming your team or state after a population does not automatically make it an insult. Semioles seem happy with the FSU representation. Chief Wahoo or Chief Knock-a-Homa was not respectful representations IMO.

Reactions: RUfinally2008

Good point but I have to LOL at the quote:

" Cleveland folks are very protective of one another...They’re protective of our city, they’re protective of the land and everything about it. "

Meaningless gibberish.

Stay well e5.

Dragging ill fitting names to the new city for a sports team is a cash grab to try to keep the old abandoned fans associated with the team. It's pretty craven and as you pointed out dumb.

like the Lake Erie Native American Council and The Cleveland Indigenous Coalition ???
Native American organizations that pushed for the change.

And they should have a huge voice in the change - IF - they actually represent a large part of the population in question and not just a small loud group of folks with an agenda not in line with the majority.

I'd be the first to buy a jersey ... as would most of New Jersey.

I'd buy a jersey from this team. And giggle my ass off the whole time I'm wearing it. And Whitie is right there with Cracker as disrespectful term. But I'm not getting my Whities in a bunch over it.

2155799_1.jpg

Last edited:
You care to cite verified statistics? As if physical violence against woman did not happen 40; 50; 60 years ago? Come on man, this romantized view of the past is absurd. Violence has been an entrenched part of American culture from the get go…whether you want to accept that fact or not. Read some real history books. The issue now is woman in general have much more economic freedom which is different from decades past. That has created a problem for some people. Either evolve and grow or get more angry and bitter.

See this is why you're getting pushback:

"Violence has been an entrenched part of American culture"

What, other cultures aren't violent too? That's BS.

You realize they were raping and killing each other and the folks that came before them too, right? Let's not make it out to be anything more than another subjugation in a history of subjugations that has been going on since the beginning of time. Americans (Europeans) were no more evil then the rest of us humans. Less so if you take into account the pioneering of ending slavery.
Don’t think Americans pioneered the ending of slavery. Slavery was outlawed by France and Britain (and their colonies) around 1830 (too lazy to look up the exact date). Haiti ended slavery around 1804, via revolt that kicked out the French - although France later coerced Haiti into paying a big sum for reparations to guarantee the French would not come back to retake it.

I'm guessing your weather threads have pissed people off, lmfao. No worries, someone will cry and lock it, whatever, lots of good points made, and it's amazing how divided we are on so many topics in this country. Look no further than peoples reaction to several USA Women's Soccer team players taking a knee during OUR national Anthem. Many have expressed happiness at their shocking 3-0 arse beating. People are fed-up with all this "'woke" bull every time you turn on the TV. Wasn't there once a bill called The Fairness Doctrine, maybe it's time to reinstate it and hold the media to it, both sides before our country burns to the ground. Can anyone argue that this should be ENFORCED?https://mtsu.edu/first-amendment/article/955/fairness-doctrine
Actually very few good points have been made in this thread. A lot of whining over something that a) is not new and b) is just not that big of a deal.

And #s is correct that it’s very odd this thread has been going on for 5 pages since the OP made it political (calling out the “left”). Just another example of egregiously biased moderation on this board.

Feels like it's time for another rightard boycott!!! If every huge Indian fan in this thread just goes on full-time fan stike, you'll bring the organization to its knees ...just like you bros did in every other most successful past boycott.

Oh, wait ...I guess that won't work since you guys are already boycotting every sport ever, especially the woke mlb.

Oh well, I'm sure there'll be something else to get enraged about soon enough.
It's not just the right. At least some Native Americans are tired of the symbolic hand waving from the woke mob, which are mostly a bunch of rich and/or influential white people in media and politics. I follow Wind Talker for reasons unrelated to her political views.

Actually very few good points have been made in this thread. A lot of whining over something that a) is not new and b) is just not that big of a deal.

And #s is correct that it’s very odd this thread has been going on for 5 pages since the OP made it political (calling out the “left”). Just another example of egregiously biased moderation on this board.
Seems to me your whining now. Looking back, I probably shouldn't have brought it up unless I could have tied it to the "right", my bad. Next time, I suppose I should have treated it like it never even happened, you know, like most topics nowadays by mainstream except one VERY large shadow that looms out there for 2024. Lock it up, some can't handle the truth.
R.65012db8191ce9cd251a8c37bdb7deb6

Seems to me your whining now. Looking back, I probably shouldn't have brought it up unless I could have tied it to the "right", my bad. Next time, I suppose I should have treated it like it never even happened, you know, like most topics nowadays by mainstream except one VERY large shadow that looms out there for 2024. Lock it up, some can't handle the truth.
R.65012db8191ce9cd251a8c37bdb7deb6
Lol. Sure.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT