ADVERTISEMENT

OT: My Book Comes Out Today

rocky graziano
noted.. my bad.. check this out..
Phil Rizzuto, Yogi Berra, Marius Russo and Rocky Graziano in 1957 : News Photo
What a bunch of paisans..
from-left-to-right-former-yankees-shortstop-phil-rizzuto-yankees-picture-id1130795522

Great, Zap. Will get it from Abebooks when they have it. Kind of a coincidence--just finished Summer of 49, when you were minus seven.
TL

I can’t thank all of you enough for your kind words, support and well wishes!!!

This thread is typical of this board when it comes to the support of a fellow RU fanatic.

We destroy each other for our varying views of optimism and negativity, we disagree and argue vehemently over who should coach this team and the direction and philosophies we should pursue.

But when it comes time to support one another for reasons other than politics and sports... we always come thru for each other.

I’m proud to be a contributor on this board.
Thank you all

This thread is typical of this board when it comes to the support of a fellow RU fanatic.

We destroy each other for our varying views of optimism and negativity, we disagree and argue vehemently over who should coach this team and the direction and philosophies we should pursue.

When it comes time to support one another for reasons other than politics and sports... we always come thru for each other.
But let an outsider try that...and we take care of them. Like a family normally would.

I think none of us are (or should be) surprised by the support. I certainly wasn’t.

And also not surprised by your classy thank you post either.

“My Dad Yogi”is the name, the publisher is Hachette Books.
Perhaps some of you Rutgers fanatics might be interested in getting an inside view of my dad, our family, and how the importance of family saved me from myself.
Congrats

Zap, Abebooks has it--from three different booksellers. With shipping, comes to 20 bucks. Looking forward to reading it. Be here sometime the second half of May.

Strongly recommend Abebooks to all my fellow boardies. Lots of times, will go to a chain bookstore and find a book or two I like, but don't have to have Right Now This Very Minute. Can go home, go to Abebooks on-line, buy the same book several dollars cheaper, just as brand spanking new, even after you count in the shipping cost. 5-14 days later--there they are. You can get most books used, even paperbacks--they describe the condition. Dozens, maybe hundreds of booksellers, country-wide and in England. No pecuniary ties--just a very satisfied customer.
TL

Congrats Zap on your book and how you perfectly summarized how the members of this board interact .

OK, misspoke on the price. It was $12.98, new, from TTPC Books, whatever that is, and shipping is $3.99, So under $17, total.
TL

Perhaps some of you Rutgers fanatics might be interested in getting an inside view of my dad, our family, and how the importance of family saved me from myself.
Just ordered, looking forward to the read. Always loved your Dad. Who didn't though right? Good luck...

Here's Yogi with a Rutgers guy. Maybe Sit's Dad.

@10:11

Thanks for digging this up. I remember that on the program, the "mystery guest" -- which would have been Yogi -- appears in the last few minutes of the program. Is there some way you can edit so we can skip over most of this? BTW, the panelists and contestants really had to use their brains on this program -- it would never last today.

I paid $23.60 for the book … only kidding, Zap! :-)

I ordered it through Amazon. It's scheduled to arrive tomorrow, looking forward to a great weekend read!

Just bought the audio book. Will be looking to buy the hardcover.

Looking forward to getting my copy. I’ll post my review here. As an Italian-American I gotta know, did you put sauce or “gravy” on your pasta? I know some Nutley guys that call their pasta sauce “gravy” and it always makes me cringe. Tomato sauce is red. Gravy is brown.

Reactions: nikoru09
Looking forward to getting my copy. I’ll post my review here. As an Italian-American I gotta know, did you put sauce or “gravy” on your pasta? I know some Nutley guys that call their pasta sauce “gravy” and it always makes me cringe. Tomato sauce is red. Gravy is brown.
Sauce...”The Hill” in St. Louis where he grew up, was a landing spot for Northern Italians from Milan.
My dad never heard the word gravy associated with pasta until he came to NJ.

Reactions: BillyC80

But when it comes time to support one another for reasons other than politics and sports... we always come thru for each other.

I’m proud to be a contributor on this board.
Thank you all
any diehard ,long suffering ,ru supporter whether yogi's boy,or not. has my big your welcome, and thankyou

and belleville guys also....or as i like to call it, the pasta triangle, bloomfield,belleville,and nutley

Reactions: Jm0513

The big question is who gets to play you, me and RutgersAL when we met in the Soprano's booth @ Holstens!

Best of luck...go get em~

MO

I’ll pick up a copy. Good luck with the book. I’ve got a photo of your dad and the Babe, autographed by your dad, in my office. One of my prized possessions.

Thanks for digging this up. I remember that on the program, the "mystery guest" -- which would have been Yogi -- appears in the last few minutes of the program. Is there some way you can edit so we can skip over most of this? BTW, the panelists and contestants really had to use their brains on this program -- it would never last today.
Didn't I just see a remake of this on TV? Maybe it didn't last!

I'm looking forward to buying and reading Zap's book. The Yankee, Italian and North Jersey roots are all there for me.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Zap--
Your book came last week. Didn't want to read it all at once. If you spread it out some, the book stays with you longer. You were absolutely unsparing of yourself, blaming nobody else, especially for the feeling so many alcoholics also share that they never think they have a problem. Family was everything.

You credit Bill Dickey for improving your Dad's technique as a catcher. There's a scene from Summer of 49 when Allie Reynolds is glaring at your Dad and telling him to ignore Casey about which pitch to call. Halberstam seems to credit Reynolds and Raschi for teaching your how to call pitches.

Never thought the Yogi Berra in the Aflac commercials, say, was who he was. I remember him doing the narration for when they dug home plate out of the old Yankee Stadium and helicoptered it to the new park and hammered it down. The love your Dad had for Old Yankee Stadium was so thick you could almost see it. And why not? He was the rock of that team during that run from 49-64 that produced 13 pennants in 16 years and a bunch of WS titles. He was able to say Goodbye to Yankee Stadium, reflectively, and share the memories with millions of us watching. That was the man I remember.
TL

Zap, Abebooks has it--from three different booksellers. With shipping, comes to 20 bucks. Looking forward to reading it. Be here sometime the second half of May.

Strongly recommend Abebooks to all my fellow boardies. Lots of times, will go to a chain bookstore and find a book or two I like, but don't have to have Right Now This Very Minute. Can go home, go to Abebooks on-line, buy the same book several dollars cheaper, just as brand spanking new, even after you count in the shipping cost. 5-14 days later--there they are. You can get most books used, even paperbacks--they describe the condition. Dozens, maybe hundreds of booksellers, country-wide and in England. No pecuniary ties--just a very satisfied customer.
TL
Got it from Amazon/Prime. One day. Same price.Remarkable read.

This isn't just a sports story.. This is an American history story. A .baseball story.. An Immigrant story .A success story. An underdog story. A family story. A Jersey story. A love story. Thanks.Zap. Thanks Yogi.

Going to buy a bunch for all the fathers in my family as a Father’s Day gift. Good luck Zap.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT