ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NASCAR

Jul 7, 2017
I know this is probably not your normal NASCAR crowd, but some might be interested to know Jersey guy Martin Truex Jr. clinched the regular-season Monster Series title.

Great race in Darlington. Denny Hamlin erased a six-second deficit in the final 15 laps and overtook Truex, who blew a tire after running way too long on his last set.

"Regular season title" - What the hell does that mean? NASCAR screwed up the points system so badly that it's completely meaningless now.

"Regular season title" - What the hell does that mean? NASCAR screwed up the points system so badly that it's completely meaningless now.

I agree, but I do like certain aspects of their playoff format.

Reactions: goru1869
It means he gets 15 bonus points going into the playoffs .. essentially getting the same advantage a 1-seed would get in any other sport's playoffs - getting to play the worst team, and a home field advantage, equates to about 15 points in a 3-race span in NASCAR. Should, in theory, help him advance to the next round, but if he falters, the 'upset' can still happen and he can miss the next race.

And if you think the Stages and new playoff format aren't super exciting, you are so wrong. Jimmie winning Homestead last year was way more sweet that any of his ones before for me, knowing what it takes to get to that opportunity. And it's literally very simple to follow, if you can explain football to someone (4 downs, why do you punt, field goal, extra point vs. 2-pt conversion) .. than you can understand 16 driver playoff, 3 rounds of 3 races, 4 drivers eliminated after each round until the final 4 are left for a winner-take-all race.

Reactions: RutgersRockies
My wife, son and I bought tickets for the race in Dover next month. We all will be wearing our Truex hats and flying our #78 flag along with our N.J. flag while tailgaiting. Looking forward to seeing a Jersey boy race as very few have been able to race like him this season!

I used to watch NASCAR religiously and went to several races in Delaware. But between the points changes the racing style changes and the massive retirements of longtime top racers I've barely watched in recent years. Add a stupid playoff point system that doesn't work for this type of sport as well as the stages that I don't get either.

I used to watch NASCAR religiously and went to several races in Delaware. But between the points changes the racing style changes and the massive retirements of longtime top racers I've barely watched in recent years. Add a stupid playoff point system that doesn't work for this type of sport as well as the stages that I don't get either.
Stages are completely artifical and asinine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT