ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NC State given 1 year probation for facilitating payments to players

NickRU714

Heisman Winner
Aug 18, 2009
Just wanted to make sure all the "I'm going to stop watching college athletics if players start getting paid" people can easily see yet another instance of players getting paid prior to the scary "NIL".

I'd hate for those people to continue to be so uninformed about the "amateur " sport they keep watching.
Don't want them to come off as hypocritical or anything.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...mark-gottfried-gets-one-year-show-cause-order

Just wanted to make sure all the "I'm going to stop watching college athletics if players start getting paid" people can easily see yet another instance of players getting paid prior to the scary "NIL".

I'd hate for those people to continue to be so uninformed about the "amateur " sport they keep watching.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...mark-gottfried-gets-one-year-show-cause-order
Can you not understand the distinction between VIOLATIONS against the rules and merely eliminating the rules?

It is completely consistent to be against the NIL and knowing that there were many entities violating the rules prior to NIL.

This is the first year for NIL.. you do not know where this ends up. To pretend that NIL is the same thing as financial violations in the past is being willfully ignorant.

Can you not understand the distinction between VIOLATIONS against the rules and merely eliminating the rules?

It is completely consistent to be against the NIL and knowing that there were many entities violating the rules prior to NIL.

This is the first year for NIL.. you do not know where this ends up. To pretend that NIL is the same thing as financial violations in the past is being willfully ignorant.
All that said- what do you do with these types of cases right now? Schools could challenge penalties in court and may win. Sure they violated the rules at the time but the SC struck down the rules to a certain extent.

Reactions: Danprusa_4

Is that double secret probation ?

People want to live in fantasy land . Most of the players in rutgers football and basketball teams would not be admitted to the school if not for sports

I guess SCOTUS was fairly clear against the NCAA.. (who gets like ALL their revenue from selling of the NCAA tournament) AGAINST the opposition to NIL... essentially stopping state laws being passed to prevent NIL in individual states.

So.. yeah.. any LEGAL ramifications for past cheating doesn't make sense... but NCAA sanctions against programs that knew the rules and ignored them.. circumvented them? That is certainly still on the table and will remain on the table as there are rules to allow the athletes to sell their NIL... but teams can still be found to cheat on the rules that allow them to sell their NIL.

Furthermore, that introduces the possible CRIMINAL liability for the athletes who might stray from the legal way to sell NIL, pay taxes.. etc. Then if you connect schools, coaches and athletes in illegal payments.. you are looking at RICO-type stuff. I think there are enough legal ways to work the system and most shouldn't have any trouble... but still.. we have seen penalties for schools who simply didn't file papers the right way in the past.

Last edited:
Man, that’s harsh.
Actually you're right because this wasn't an NCAA ruling.

NC State requested their situation go thru the Independent Accountability Resolution Process. The IARP involves outside advocates and investigators who conducted a hearing with both parties and then issued a ruling.

Interesting enough, Memphis requested an IARP review before NC State did but a ruling was issued in the NC State case first.

I wonder wuts up with that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT