ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Need attic exhaust fan advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll do this from the inside. To be able to access it, I first have to build a ladder up to the 2nd level. From there one can stand under the peak and access it. I'll do that during the week, then narrow down which circuit breaker controls it.
Why can't you bring up a little giant ladder?

Reactions: Knight Shift
Trusses are built to support the weight of the roof, not the weight of a DJ Spanky and his toolbelt. Many of the trusses pieces used in condo/townhouse construction are held together by gusset plates. I would double check to make sure if you can do this without comprising the truss.

Spanky has a tool belt? Who knew?

Spanky has a tool belt? Who knew?
belt09.jpg

Reactions: knightfan7
The trouble with being an engineer is you don’t trust anyone to do as good of a job as yourself. That’s why we don’t hire tasks like replacing an attic fan out. Plus how the hell are we going to over engineer the replacement if we don’t do the work.

My attic fan replacement involved adding a light switch for the 2 new 4’ led lights the seemed like a good idea. Now I use the term attic loosely because my attic was just the unusable space above my ceiling insulation. But I also replaced my bathroom exhaust fan which was easier to do from said attic.

Now will I ever need to use the permanent light in my attic ever again. No, of course not, but they’re there anyway.

Edit: along with 4 new electric outlets. Almost for about those. I mean, you need some place to plug in tunes while replacing the fan.

Geeze, I don't need scaffolding. As I said, there's an upper level that can be walked on, I just need a short ladder built off of the vertical trusses to access it.
I'd call Acme to see what products they offer. They always seem to work for Wile E..
giphy.gif

They also sell this for when your initial plan doesn't work and you get back to the drawing board on that second attempt.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
I'd call Acme to see what products they offer. They always seem to work for Wile E..
giphy.gif

They also sell this for when your initial plan doesn't work and you get back to the drawing board on that second attempt.
giphy.gif
Spanky said the attic fan is not working. But the question is--has it gotten hot enough to activate the thermostat?

If he builds a fire in the attic, this "should" generate sufficient heat to activate the thermostat and turn the fan on. Saves the trouble of building a ladder to climb the truss.

If the fire plan goes awry, the fire department will show up and cut a hole in his roof to ventilate the attic fire, negating the need for the attic fan. Problem solved!

NOTE--the above post was pure sarcasm. Do NOT try the above method.

Reactions: PRH_RU
Suitcase ladder (yes, it’s a real thing) and it’s probably the thermostat.

Last edited:
I am an engineer, and I value my time, but I also get a lot of satisfaction from doing things myself. I’ve replaced both the motor and thermostat in my attic fan. Very easy job if you don’t have access issues.

So I built the ladder up to the upper level: the box that is up near the fan is actually the thermostat control. So that other piece must be a link down to the thermostat which indicates that the fan is on. The fan blades move with significant resistance, so my first thought is that it's shot. I'll hotwire it at some point to see if it actually works.

I do a number of things myself, but one fall off my roof early in parenthood I learned the hard way (broken wrist with a plate inserted, bad knee, and my Hyundai Sonata key stabbed my ball sack pretty severe)
An attic with major heights, I would pay someone. It’s not a matter of weather or not you can do it, it’s the risk that not worth taking

Note to self - take car keys out of pocket when climbing a ladder.

Ouch!

Reactions: PRH_RU
So I built the ladder up to the upper level: the box that is up near the fan is actually the thermostat control. So that other piece must be a link down to the thermostat which indicates that the fan is on. The fan blades move with significant resistance, so my first thought is that it's shot. I'll hotwire it at some point to see if it actually works.

If you have a multimeter you can ohm it out. You should be able to find the rated resistance to compare. But if the resistance is 0 there’s an internal short and if it’s infinite then the windings have an open circuit. Or since those fans are like $100 you could just replace it and save the time.

These off topic posts have really gotten out of control. What next, some guy gets on here and tells people where they can get Rutgers shirts, toothbrushes,Capri pants,rugs,etc.

Serious comment: Is your attic properly vented without the fan? You really need to have airflow through an attic from outside in the winter so moisture doesn't build up.

That is a great first step if you have a ladder reaching the upper level of your attic. Once you are up there, look at the electrical box the power wire is leading to.

Hire a trusted electrician to scope it out and he will do the job in about an hour. Homeowners who think they can act as successful tradesmen are often disappointed with the results. My buddy from Howell fell off his roof trying to power wash the 2nd floor of his house. Lots of homeowners fall off ladders.

You probably won’t electrocute yourself but will be happier if you hire a professional. Being cheap is not always the right choice.
He'll be fine. He's building the ladder himself!

And yet, if I don't build something to get up to that level (which I was going to do anyway as part of my attic project), no one will be able to fix it.
I would imagine there must be at least one company somewhere that actually already builds ladders. I've had a few and never bothered to actually make one myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT