ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Round 2 Rainstorm 1/12 (not as bad as round 1); Rainstorm 1/9-10 - Major Urban/Stream Flooding, High Winds and Coastal Flooding Likely

Status
Not open for further replies.

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
I know we're in the midst of a winter storm thread, which will likely deliver 1" of rain to most of the Philly-NJ-NYC region from the coast up through 95, with significant snows likely N of 78, but regardless of where it snows or rains, we're going to get about 3/4-1" of liquid equivalent precip and next week's storm is likely to add 2-3" on top of that, meaning we're likely to have 3-5" of total liquid precip over the next 5 days, which could lead to significant flooding, given the saturated conditions we already have and the fact that most rivers/streams are still at well above normal levels from recent flooding.

This storm will also likely be more powerful than this weekend's, with higher winds, which could lead to some power outages, and it is much more of a threat for coastal flooding (at least minor). This storm also doesn't have the complexities of trying to figure out precipitation type, so it's just about how much rain/wind we'll get, which are easier to predict. For many of us, this storm will end up being more impactful than this weekend's storm, especially for those who don't get much snow.

Below are the WPC 5-day QPF (quantitative precip forecast) graphic, a link to the NWS flood page, where one can check on river/stream flooding, should we get to that, and another good graphic from the NWS Mid-Atlantic River Forecast Center, showing they're already considering most of our area to be at a likely risk of flooding from the next storm. It's unusual to have a "likely" this far in advance, meaning they're taking this situation pretty seriously. Stay tuned.

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=PHI

qo81WHr.png

eKFvb4H.png

Last edited:
Hey I'll take cats and dogs, but having my main route home flooded for 10 days sucked. I suspect with all the snow north and west it's going to make it worse this time around.

Reactions: RU848789
Hey I'll take cats and dogs, but having my main route home flooded for 10 days sucked. I suspect with all the snow north and west it's going to make it worse this time around.
It really could be - having a "warning" like this 5 days in advance is supposedly unprecedented, from what I read elsewhere (no source though), so if we get 2-3", especially in ~12-18 hours, which is possible, flooding could end up being quite serious. Like life-threatening/home-threatening serious.

Reactions: bac2therac
You gotta get you one a dem airboats like Bobby Boucher got. Fix ya right up, ahuh.

Get you some Vicki Vallencourt too, while you at it.

Waterboy GIF

It really could be - having a "warning" like this 5 days in advance is supposedly unprecedented, from what I read elsewhere (no source though), so if we get 2-3", especially in ~12-18 hours, which is possible, flooding could end up being quite serious. Like life-threatening/home-threatening serious.
Well stop foreguessing the weather and start changing it! Life is already life-threatening enough without no storms and whatnot. C'mon now.

I have to go to Westfield/Mountainside so should I go on Saturday or Sunday?

In Jackson we are getting rain.

Whew, since I live for your approval. 😉 😉
"Survive and advance" just like Jimmy V used to say.

We'll get by this weekend, but the other one is a big deal too. Good to get the message out there now.

Have all four versions (Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Mahalia Jackson, Aretha Franklin and Tom Jones) on my Spotify but like his the best…

Enjoy.🎤

May need to pick up some 10ft lengths of Schedule 40 to extend my downspouts further. My poor sump pump has been getting a workout these past few weeks.

Reactions: Postman_1
May need to pick up some 10ft lengths of Schedule 40 to extend my downspouts further. My poor sump pump has been getting a workout these past few weeks.
Same for me, I actually just ordered a new sump pump two days ago. My basement is half crawl space, sometimes I will get some water on the floor in the crawl space it comes from below I believe as I have no pump in the crawl space. The section without the crawl space is unfinished and water comes through the weep holes pretty good sometimes. My slab does not go all the way to the wall though so the water goes into a channel to the sump. I may be looking into some basement waterproofing companies soon. I have all my downspouts extended with Schedule 40 to pop up drains.

The first graphic, below, is even uglier, as the ensemble river flooding forecast has the Passaic in major flood stage again and the Raritan and many others in moderate flood stage from the coming rainfall. The NWS graphic below that summarizes the issues well, as we're expecting a region-wide 2-3" of rainfall (with up to 4" possible) from Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday morning, on top of the ~1" of liquid equivalent that just fell (most of which will melt with the upcoming mild rain with temps in the 50s). That's why I had my gutters cleaned on Friday.

In addition, there is the risk of high winds along the coast (40-50 mph gusts), which could lead to downed trees, exacerbated by saturated soils, and power outages (less of a risk inland), plus there is a high likelihood of at least minor coastal flooding and maybe even moderate coastal flooding (nowhere near Sandy levels, but still dangerous and damaging). Little to no snow from this storm in our region and even the ski resorts in NY/New England, will eventually change over to rain after a pretty good thump of snow (8-16" likely for those resorts before the changeover). And this storm will be a raging blizzard for huge parts of the Plains, Midwest and Great Lakes areas and will drive severe weather and heavy rains in the SE US.

https://www.weather.gov/phi/

tU1S6hD.png

uC7Ng8P.png

Last edited:
Yep, it's going to be at its height with 1/2" per hour rainfall rates likely, at times, in the evening.
Any chance the timing gets pushed back to late Tuesday night into Wednesday as to not affect the game? Or is it pretty dead set already on that timing to affect the game?

Same for me, I actually just ordered a new sump pump two days ago. My basement is half crawl space, sometimes I will get some water on the floor in the crawl space it comes from below I believe as I have no pump in the crawl space. The section without the crawl space is unfinished and water comes through the weep holes pretty good sometimes. My slab does not go all the way to the wall though so the water goes into a channel to the sump. I may be looking into some basement waterproofing companies soon. I have all my downspouts extended with Schedule 40 to pop up drains.
Quality First Basements in Aberdeen, this fantastic for waterproofing, the best in the business

Reactions: Postman_1
They are talking serious winds for this too. Possibly 70mph gusts along the shore counties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT