ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NEW EVERYTHING / ANYTHING COVID-19 THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The appointment rollout was another Murphy disaster. The call center had to stop making appointments past week so the personnel could be retrained. After 3 weeks, 250 staff had managed to book just 600 appointments and were giving out the wrong information. With lives on the line that's a historic cluster.

Even more shocking is that the idea to even HAVE a call center to serve the must vulnerable who logically are going to be least savvy with internet-based vaccine info and appointment bookings was made by a member of the press corps at the end of one of the governors press conferences in December.

We're talking about historic levels of futility here. That's what happens when you pick your staff based on skin color and what's between their legs instead of competency, I suppose.
100% agree.

Yes the system could be better.. at getting it to the most at-risk people first.. but a lot of that is based on the honor system of our citizens, and we know how that works(lot of people looking out for #1)... but maybe just as importantly we are rapidly getting millions of people vaccinated. (14 Million fully vaccinated for the USA, and only 12.7 Million for the rest of the world combined!) so we are far ahead of the collective world at getting our population closer to a herd immunity situation and back to normal life ! Not sure about any one else, but I am certainly happy that the USA might be one of the first countries getting back to a normal life!
That’s all well and good but if you adhere to the belief in people being honorable. You live in a Utopian world. It’s a me first philosophy in 2021 and needs to change.

Racing at Turf Paradise in Phoenix was canceled today due to 4 positive tests in the jockey's quarters,only the second time in the country has this happened since racing resumed last May.

Novavax’s US trial apparently almost full which is great news. Probably will see results by the end of March. Which means an April approval. I don’t think FDA will approve earlier based solely on the UK trial.

Reactions: biker7766
Yes, we're up to 6 months on those from the vaccine trials, plus there is a ton of evidence of likely immunity for almost a year now for the vast majority of infected/recovered people (from those infected first, in China), which bodes well for the vaccines. Hopefully we'll get at least 2-3 years of protection from serious effects from COVID from vaccination and even if antigenic shift of the virus, via evolution of variants that can elude the vaccine, occurs, the mRNA platform should be able to crank out updated booster shots within 4-6 weeks.

Is it still thought that Covid mutates slower than the flu? Some of what I’ve read recently made it seem like it was closer than the flu, although maybe that’s attributed to the complete out of control spread on the virus currently?

Still don't understand the point of breaking down the population into qualifying groups if Fauci's plan was to just declare "open season, every man for himself". Stick to the plan and people don't have to push granny down the stairs to get their own vax.
It was the wrong decision imo. It turned a difficult distribution and implementation into one doomed to fail. Should have kept it simple and administered by age alone with health care workers with the first group.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
My friends hospital is now under 100 patients with Covid after having more than double that a couple of months ago.. Numbers keep coming down. Of course, they are worried about a possible surge from the super bowl.

It was the wrong decision imo. It turned a difficult distribution and implementation into one doomed to fail. Should have kept it simple and administered by age alone with health care workers with the first group.

This is pretty much exactly how South Carolina choose to do it. The one notable exception was that they let pretty much anyone who worked in a major hospital get it and that included office staff that really had no contact with COVID patients. But outside of that it's been age restricted 100% no exceptions. We are technically still in 1A with all Long Term Care done and any health care worker who wanted it either has it or is scheduled to receive the vaccine. The only other eligible people are 65+. No grey areas or smokers or wives of cops or whatever. The result is that the state, hospitals, CVS, Costo, Walmart, etc. have done a good job of getting vaccines into arms. The negative is that we are not getting anywhere near enough doses so we have one of the worst per 1 mil people vaccine rate but one of the best rates of vaccines given out of doses available. But to your point it has been smooth and clear and nobody is getting bent because some 35 year old with no conditions got a shot ahead of a 84 year old.

After much discussion, our staff has decided to start a new COVID thread, HERE is the link to the old one should you feel the need to go back and reference something. The old thread was extremely long and people started to bring politics into it. With that being said, NO POLITICS in this thread, if you do bring politics into the thread there will be no warnings and you will be banned from the thread temporarily, with increasing lengths of time with additional violations.

See the post above ☝

The appointment rollout was another Murphy disaster. The call center had to stop making appointments past week so the personnel could be retrained. After 3 weeks, 250 staff had managed to book just 600 appointments and were giving out the wrong information. With lives on the line that's a historic cluster.

Even more shocking is that the idea to even HAVE a call center to serve the must vulnerable who logically are going to be least savvy with internet-based vaccine info and appointment bookings was made by a member of the press corps at the end of one of the governors press conferences in December.

We're talking about historic levels of futility here. That's what happens when you pick your staff based on skin color and what's between their legs instead of competency, I suppose.
Wow - did you really mean that last sentence? I didn't think competence was a function of race or sex, at least not in my experience working with a very diverse group of people over many years. I'm not saying there aren't incompetent people in his Administration, but your statement seems like a huge reach.

There aren't really any hero designations in my land outside of the men and women who wear uniforms and protect our cities and country. I will add after last spring, medical staff have been elevated to that level. You are quite the Dick Tracey though, aren't you? You hit the nail on the head, but please don't tell anyone, especially my wife. For many years, I have adored Rebecca. I'm not sure why you spelled it that way though or didn't use her legal name.

Here is my REBECCA

Hero of Cnn..laughable attention for fbi raid

Fired for not doing her job in Florida

Abusive violent behavior...hero to coronabros

Is it still thought that Covid mutates slower than the flu? Some of what I’ve read recently made it seem like it was closer than the flu, although maybe that’s attributed to the complete out of control spread on the virus currently?
Yes. I've seen reports of mutation rates that are 1/2 to 1/3 that of the flu, but also commentary that direct comparisons might not be as relevant, since influenza has multiple "segments" that SARS-CoV-2 doesn't and these segments allow more "shuffling" and more impactful mutations.

One thing is absolutely true: the greater the transmission rate, the greater the mutation rate, so getting transmission rates down (via vaccination, preferably and not contracting the disease) is critical to slowing viral mutations, which should make it less likely that new variants evolve which can "escape" the vaccines.

The other positive factor in play for humanity is that our bodies have memory B cells which remember antigens like viruses, but that these also evolve, producing antibodies in the future that wouldn't be produced today, meaning it's possible that future variants might still be defeated by the evolving immune response triggered by the original vaccine (Derek Lowe did a nice write-up on this that I linked a few weeks ago).

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/a-guide-to-emerging-sars-cov-2-variants-68387

This is pretty much exactly how South Carolina choose to do it. The one notable exception was that they let pretty much anyone who worked in a major hospital get it and that included office staff that really had no contact with COVID patients. But outside of that it's been age restricted 100% no exceptions. We are technically still in 1A with all Long Term Care done and any health care worker who wanted it either has it or is scheduled to receive the vaccine. The only other eligible people are 65+. No grey areas or smokers or wives of cops or whatever. The result is that the state, hospitals, CVS, Costo, Walmart, etc. have done a good job of getting vaccines into arms. The negative is that we are not getting anywhere near enough doses so we have one of the worst per 1 mil people vaccine rate but one of the best rates of vaccines given out of doses available. But to your point it has been smooth and clear and nobody is getting bent because some 35 year old with no conditions got a shot ahead of a 84 year old.
Yet SC is behind NJ in terms of % of people who have received at least one dose of the vaccine, by a small amount (11% vs. 10%). Actually, if one looks at the Times tracker map, 95% of states are between 9 and 13%, meaning most states are doing relatively similarly; NJ is right in the middle at 25th.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html

Yes. I've seen reports of mutation rates that are 1/2 to 1/3 that of the flu, but also commentary that direct comparisons might not be as relevant, since influenza has multiple "segments" that SARS-CoV-2 doesn't and these segments allow more "shuffling" and more impactful mutations.

One thing is absolutely true: the greater the transmission rate, the greater the mutation rate, so getting transmission rates down (via vaccination, preferably and not contracting the disease) is critical to slowing viral mutations, which should make it less likely that new variants evolve which can "escape" the vaccines.

The other positive factor in play for humanity is that our bodies have memory B cells which remember antigens like viruses, but that these also evolve, producing antibodies in the future that wouldn't be produced today, meaning it's possible that future variants might still be defeated by the evolving immune response triggered by the original vaccine (Derek Lowe did a nice write-up on this that I linked a few weeks ago).

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/a-guide-to-emerging-sars-cov-2-variants-68387
According to the national news there have been 7 mutations started in the US which no one talks about. Also the UK variation was supposed to spread more quickly but in the UK and the US where that variant is in most states cases have fallen off a cliff.

Wow - did you really mean that last sentence? I didn't think competence was a function of race or sex, at least not in my experience working with a very diverse group of people over many years. I'm not saying there aren't incompetent people in his Administration, but your statement seems like a huge reach.
Competence isnt a function of race or sex. But when you prioritize hirings based on those things, you are narrowing your candidate pool, and *potentially* putting better candidates at a disadvantage or eliminating them based on reasons other than talent. The governor has been abysmal as an executive, from salting the roads to the unemployment crisis to vaccine distribution to Covid communications. Through his entire term he has put diversity as his priority. At the very least, he has been distracted by it. At worst, he has the wrong people in lots of key positions.

Competence isnt a function of race or sex. But when you prioritize hirings based on those things, you are narrowing your candidate pool, and *potentially* putting better candidates at a disadvantage or eliminating them based on reasons other than talent. The governor has been abysmal as an executive, from salting the roads to the unemployment crisis to vaccine distribution to Covid communications. Through his entire term he has put diversity as his priority. At the very least, he has been distracted by it. At worst, he has the wrong people in lots of key positions.
100% agree

Thanks for clarifying, as your original statement was pretty bad. If someone picked people who met some diversity criterion, but were less competent than others, that would be bad, but I doubt you have any "proof" of that. We used diversity for years in hiring and promotions, but the rule of thumb was diversity only came after competence (i.e., a tiebreaker). We disagree on most of the rest of this and this isn't the thread to debate it.

Thanks for clarifying, as your original statement was pretty bad. If someone picked people who met some diversity criterion, but were less competent than others, that would be bad, but I doubt you have any "proof" of that. We used diversity for years in hiring and promotions, but the rule of thumb was diversity only came after competence (i.e., a tiebreaker). We disagree on most of the rest of this and this isn't the thread to debate it.
Well let's just do the Covid stuff to keep it topical. The dashboard is buggy and doesn't report something properly once a week. We're in the bottom third nationally by state, of vaxx distribution by percentage of doses made available to us. Vaccine website, not helpful. Call center, actually harmful. The governor's social media accounts pick and choose what metrics to post in the daily updates. Sometimes Rt is included, sometimes hospitalizations, sometimes not. Always PCR positives though, the least useful metric. Daily PCR "new cases" include test results from weeks or months ago, and the gov and his PR never explain or clarify this.

The Covid modelling by DoH and Office of Innovation- complete waste of resources and dollars for abject modelling failure. The likelihood that the governor's restriction policies were based in part on those awful "models" is really frightening.

I'm not even getting into the nursing home debacle. How do you defend this stuff?

Last edited:
Reactions: TRU2RU
Im talking about your phony allegations about Florida and the hero who made them

It wasnt my phony allegation. The information came from the person who created and managed the state's covid dashboard. What other I formation would you like me to go by? Best part about this, you mentioned Rebekah out of the blue and I had no idea what or who you were even talking about. If you are implying she is a hero to me, you have swung out and missed royally.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
How would you know whether my wife and son are qualified to get the vaccine? I've only said they're both immunocompromised, which is why we've been so conservative since we went into quarantine about 2 weeks before most everyone else did. Immunocompromised is not on the list of eligibility conditions in NJ to be 1B (it's only there in relation to organ transplants).

And since you're asking about fairly personal stuff in such a smarmy way, my first thought was to say it's none of your business, but I realize plenty of other people read this thread and I'd rather be helpful than petty, so suffice it to say that we're both 1B (and not smokers, if that matters to anyone - it doesn't to me, actually). And with regard to tips, I posted everything I knew last night in my post on getting the vaccine appointments - it came down mostly to my wife's persistence and a bit of luck.

As an interesting aside, our son got the vaccine a few weeks ago even though he's technically 1C and not 1B, although his doc thinks he should be 1B, as he thinks his immunological condition should be on the list. We presume he got the vaccine because he might've been the first person to sign up back in mid-January when the NJ State site opened up for business (he's clever with websites and notifications) and we heard what might have happened was that in the first day or two, not enough high priority folks signed up and they had vaccines, so they scheduled some 1C folks who signed up early. If he had been a standard healthy 26-year old he wouldn't have gotten the vaccine then, as he didn't want to "cut the line," but his doc convinced him that he shouldn't look at it that way with his condition, so he got it.

Interesting. On March 7,2020 when you started to hunker down with 20lbs of grind meat and a months worth of food, you stated that your wife and son have asthma and your son has low immunoglobulin levels. You also stated that you have no issues. Even went to say you do the shopping because you are not compromised So wondering how you skipped the line while teachers are still waiting and others are still being shut out. Just because your wife was lucky to find an opening, how did you get one since you clearly stated you have no issues from that post?

And by the end of the March it’s 220M doses (Moderna 100, Pfizer 120).

They’ve only distributed about 70M to the states so far, so in the next few weeks if they are going to hit those targets, the supply should start exploding.

Interesting. On March 7,2020 when you started to hunker down with 20lbs of grind meat and a months worth of food, you stated that your wife and son have asthma and your son has low immunoglobulin levels. You also stated that you have no issues. Even went to say you do the shopping because you are not compromised So wondering how you skipped the line while teachers are still waiting and others are still being shut out. Just because your wife was lucky to find an opening, how did you get one since you clearly stated you have no issues from that post?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that since groub 1B is now up for vaccinations and he clearly stated he was in the 1B group, he is now eligible to receive said vaccination. That's not even sciency science. It's logical, deductivery deduction.

Last edited:

1. You're a snarky moron
2. I live in a state (Illinois) where if they have "extra" vaccines same day they open them up to anyone who signs up, maybe he did this.
3. I knew ALOT of people who were teachers our here 1b that were getting shots when it was "only 1a" aka most people from 1a got their shots and they had extra's so they low key moved onto the next group. There are also ton of technologically challenged teachers/ older people who cant figure out how to get the shot.
4. The categorization can be vague, "essential worker" out here has a wide, wide definition that each site has to decide what falls into that category. I knew someone as a teacher 1b and essential worker both went to same site the day before it was technically time for 1b to get their shots but only the teacher got it.
5. My mom is in health care and so is my sister in NJ. One got the shot and one didn't yet. Shots in arms are good for everyone.... Except smokers i still don't get that one.,

People really get all heated up over this...fascinating. My doc said you’re on a list and WE will call you when you’re up...otherwise no need to call US. That was in early Jan...I’m guessing April or May.
The VA has its own listing but I’ve learned to avoid that well-meaning but problematic bureaucracy.

People really get all heated up over this...fascinating. My doc said you’re on a list and WE will call you when you’re up...otherwise no need to call US. That was in early Jan...I’m guessing April or May.
The VA has its own listing but I’ve learned to avoid that well-meaning but problematic bureaucracy.
same here for wife and myself. Registered Jan. 6 th ... have received several verifications with the now familiar refrain you are eligible and registered for the Covid 19 vaccine you will receive an email with instructions to make an appointment when it is your turn. My primary tells us be patient you will get it soon? Ok we’re hoping by end of March but when I hear reports of line jumping... Pharmacies signing people up to put them on “ the list” now that is BS. Yesterday I called Trenton to question the system and why Murphy is allowing this? It Isn’t about the number of vaccine doses available. It’s about “ who cares”.

And by the end of the March it’s 220M doses (Moderna 100, Pfizer 120).

They’ve only distributed about 70M to the states so far, so in the next few weeks if they are going to hit those targets, the supply should start exploding.
And J&J is coming on board. Stay patient my friends.

1. You're a snarky moron
2. I live in a state (Illinois) where if they have "extra" vaccines same day they open them up to anyone who signs up, maybe he did this.
3. I knew ALOT of people who were teachers our here 1b that were getting shots when it was "only 1a" aka most people from 1a got their shots and they had extra's so they low key moved onto the next group. There are also ton of technologically challenged teachers/ older people who cant figure out how to get the shot.
4. The categorization can be vague, "essential worker" out here has a wide, wide definition that each site has to decide what falls into that category. I knew someone as a teacher 1b and essential worker both went to same site the day before it was technically time for 1b to get their shots but only the teacher got it.
5. My mom is in health care and so is my sister in NJ. One got the shot and one didn't yet. Shots in arms are good for everyone.... Except smokers i still don't get that one.,
How is he being snarky? Anyone can register and claim to be in the 1b group. There is no documention required. Why not ask for pulmonlogist or cardiologist script? Something!
What's happening is perfectly healthy people are getting the vaxx and some elderly who may not have an in or know the different websites are not.
My dad is still waiting for an email or txt alert.
I registered him 4 different places cause he is 74 and not the sharpest with technology. I'm also up crazy hours and can check for openings at 2am. Nada!
I'm chatting with some friends last week and they're 40s no health conditions in the years I've known them yet somehow they got it? 🤔
Luckily my father knew someone and got his last week. He is eligible and him getting Covid could be tragic due to COPD. He's still waiting for that email though... Lol

Here is my problem and it is why I get heated over it. I want the vaccine. Actually got first shot yesterday and my 89 year old mom got her first on Saturday (my nursing student daughter received her two shots a couple months ago). I've been called a wus, a p*ssy, a wimp, a hide under the bed guy, strap on a pair, etc. because I wanted the vaccine. I'm in reasonably good shape as I go to the gym 5-6 times each week. However, my mom is 89 with one lung and I'm 66 with asthma, so I'm concerned about getting infected. Me wanting the vaccine for us is not even close to a political statement. It is about looking out for our own well being, making choices for our family and nothing to do with me being a wus. I'm not telling others what to do regarding getting the shots and frankly, it is none of anyone's damn business as to whether I want to the shot or not. So if this fascinates you I feel sorry for you.

How is he being snarky? Anyone can register and claim to be in the 1b group. There is no documention required. Why not ask for pulmonlogist or cardiologist script? Something!
What's happening is perfectly healthy people are getting the vaxx and some elderly who may not have an in or know the different websites are not.
My dad is still waiting for an email or txt alert.
I registered him 4 different places cause he is 74 and not the sharpest with technology. I'm also up crazy hours and can check for openings at 2am. Nada!
Luckily he knew someone and got his last week. He is eligible and him getting Covid could be tragic due to COPD. He's still waiting for that email though... Lol
You need to do more that just register and wait. I registered my mom and me on a number of sites. I also actively logged onto Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid and Hackensack meridian daily until I connected with appontments at Walgreens for my mom and me. One site I registerd on (forget which one) showed I was 46, 219 on the waiting list.

You need to do more that just register and wait. I registered my mom and me on a number of sites. I also actively logged onto Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid and Hackensack meridian daily until I connected with appontments at Walgreens for my mom and me. One site I registerd on (forget which one) showed I was 46, 219 on the waiting list.
I did all that!! This is what they all say.. also through my town , county, his county etc etc. No one else in the family wants the vaccine, it's just frustrating.
HVY8Nhe.jpg

I did all that!! This is what they all say..
HVY8Nhe.jpg
Which is why you have to keep logging on. The pharmacies are continuing to get deliveries which allows them to post more open slots. I got both my mom's and my appointments about 5 minutes past midnight. CVS seems to change about 6 am in the morning (don't trust me on that) so you have to just keep trying.

Which is why you have to keep logging on. The pharmacies are continuing to get deliveries which allows them to post more open slots. I got both my mom's and my appointments about 5 minutes past midnight. CVS seems to change about 6 am in the morning (don't trust me on that) so you have to just keep trying.
The girl in CVS mentioned something about 6am. I'll relay this message to my mom if she decides to eventually get it. She is eligible as well.
She let my dad get vaccinated first in case anything happened. hahaha

Here is my problem and it is why I get heated over it. I want the vaccine. Actually got first shot yesterday and my 89 year old mom got her first on Saturday (my nursing student daughter received her two shots a couple months ago). I've been called a wus, a p*ssy, a wimp, a hide under the bed guy, strap on a pair, etc. because I wanted the vaccine. I'm in reasonably good shape as I go to the gym 5-6 times each week. However, my mom is 89 with one lung and I'm 66 with asthma, so I'm concerned about getting infected. Me wanting the vaccine for us is not even close to a political statement. It is about looking out for our own well being, making choices for our family and nothing to do with me being a wus. I'm not telling others what to do regarding getting the shots and frankly, it is none of anyone's damn business as to whether I want to the shot or not. So if this fascinates you I feel sorry for you.
Many things fascinate me...I’m sorry if you spent more than a nanosecond giving that any thought and getting frothy over it...a bad waste of time and mental energy. Relax, take a deep breath, be careful out there and I hope you get your vaccines soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT