ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Music (Released January 2020 or Later)

Saw Tool at MSG a few weeks ago. Not much to see directly on the stage. Maynard James Keenan is in the shadows, drummer is deservedly center stage with spotlight on him. Sonically perfect and the video show behind them was mesmerizing. Not for everyone, but phenomenal if you like that sort of thing (no sing alongs).
tell me about this concert thing Maynard is doing with Puscifer/A Perfect Circle/Primus

I prefer A Perfect Circle over Puscifer over Toll

Reactions: okieKnight908
tell me about this concert thing Maynard is doing with Puscifer/A Perfect Circle/Primus

I prefer A Perfect Circle over Puscifer over Toll
It's all in the link below.

Puscifer is very different. I call it performance art. It's OK, but not to my liking. Primus is always great live. A Perfect Circle Guitarist is a NJ guy.

It's all in the link below.

Puscifer is very different. I call it performance art. It's OK, but not to my liking. Primus is always great live. A Perfect Circle Guitarist is a NJ guy.

i like some Puscifer..my fave with Milla Jovovich...what happened to music

Just heard this one on AltRok (90.5HD3)- The Bug Club formed in 2016 in the little-known rock n' roll hotbed that is Caldicot, Monmouthshire. Great, retro pop sound, kind of reminds me of the band X with John Doe and Exene Cervenka. Check it out @RutHut

Reactions: RutHut
People are either going to love this or say it sounds like all of his other stuff. The answer to that is yes, but Billy's music is as much about the lyrics as it is about his harmonies and instrumentation. Going to be a lot of discussion on exactly what this song is referring to. His career and decision to step away from songwriting for a LONG time. Maybe a relationship. Maybe a chance to make some money. Maybe all of the above. Personally, I think it's vintage Billy Joel and I love it. He's performing on the Grammys this Sunday and I'm assuming he'll do this. Can't wait.

People are either going to love this or say it sounds like all of his other stuff. The answer to that is yes, but Billy's music is as much about the lyrics as it is about his harmonies and instrumentation. Going to be a lot of discussion on exactly what this song is referring to. His career and decision to step away from songwriting for a LONG time. Maybe a relationship. Maybe a chance to make some money. Maybe all of the above. Personally, I think it's vintage Billy Joel and I love it. He's performing on the Grammys this Sunday and I'm assuming he'll do this. Can't wait.
Have long been a "casual" Billy Joel fan. Until more recently, after having seen him live with Stevie Nix, I thought he was very good, but always thought his lyrics did not have a lot of depth. During the concert, he did Vienna and Zanzibar back to back.

It was only because I was a lazy, casual fan that I never thought much of those songs. I thought that Zanzibar was only about him trying to score with the waitress. I completely missed the subplots about Pete Rose and Muhammad Ali (huge miss by me). And then Vienna--if you have children who are adolescents or young adults-this song takes on a whole new meaning as parents. And finally, The Stranger- never thought much about that song either, but is is such a wonderful statement on the nature of complexity of relationships. I had a much better appreciation for the depth of his lyrics that I overlooked for years.

As for the new song, it is interesting to me how a songwriter or a poet or a writer can capture feelings of love and romance in written word, but they can't seem to find a lifetime partner. Billy is on his 3rd (or 4th?) wife. Hope they are still happy. Sounds like trouble in paradise, but that's my take.

Watching Taylor Swift at the Grammys and boy she is phony and rude of her to force Lana Del Rey up on stage

Billy Joel voice is terrible. How do people pay to hear that

Watching Taylor Swift at the Grammys and boy she is phony and rude of her to force Lana Del Rey up on stage

Billy Joel voice is terrible. How do people pay to hear that
I only caught a YT vid of her but it looked like she just ran-up and promoted her new album.
Treated event like a trade show - which is what it is.
I saw some new Beatles thing won - I think it was a video.

I only caught a YT vid of her but it looked like she just ran-up and promoted her new album.
Treated event like a trade show - which is what it is.
I saw some new Beatles thing won - I think it was a video.

At the end one album of year and practically dragged an embarrassed Lana up on stage against her will

At the end one album of year and practically dragged an embarrassed Lana up on stage against her will
I guess she has record for most Albums of the Year,
Oddly enough she has never had a Song of the Year.
Also odd is Jay-Z complaining that Beyonce has never been given an Album of the Year.
She's a good entertainer but if you heard 6 of her songs you heard them all (sound the same ).
None of Taylor's songs are epic but her Albums switch-up if you hear them (a lot of people know just the hits)

Two great new upbeat indie rock songs that just came out from a couple of my favorite artists. First is boygenius (a collaboration with Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus and Julien Baker - an indie "supergroup") with "Not Strong Enough," which really shows off some great vocals and an anthemic chorus/ending. Could be a hit (the album debuted at #4 on Billboard last month) - and Pitchfork gave the new album an 8.2, which is high praise for them.

The second song is NYE by Local Natives, who have been around since 2010 or so and have a number of indie hits. Just heard this for the first time tonight and loved it. Beautiful melodies and vocals, but it also rocks. Enjoy.

Well, surprised there wasn't any thread on the Grammys, but was nice to see boygenius get awards for best alternative music album, and their song "Not Strong Enough" won best rock song and best rock performance. However, sadly, those three awards didn't even make the show, which is a bit of a travesty to me. Still bummed they didn't win the album of the year, as it was my favorite album of the year and I think Taylor could've survived without winning her record 4th album of the year award, lol.

Here's a more recent single from the album, which is another strong song with incredible soaring harmonies reminiscent of Simon & Garfunkel, to me (and this song has a hint of The Boxer IMO).

Reactions: Knight Shift
Well, surprised there wasn't any thread on the Grammys, but was nice to see boygenius get awards for best alternative music album, and their song "Not Strong Enough" won best rock song and best rock performance. However, sadly, those three awards didn't even make the show, which is a bit of a travesty to me. Still bummed they didn't win the album of the year, as it was my favorite album of the year and I think Taylor could've survived without winning her record 4th album of the year award, lol.

Here's a more recent single from the album, which is another strong song with incredible soaring harmonies reminiscent of Simon & Garfunkel, to me (and this song has a hint of The Boxer IMO).

Phoebe Bridgers is one of the three in that band and she tours/plays with Swift a lot.
She does a nice cover of The Cure's "Friday I'm in Love."

I agree about boygenius. My wife was watching the show and I told her to call me when they performed. Disappointing.
BTW, I happened to be in the room when some clown was accepting his award and he made me laugh by classlessly complaining about his wife not getting some award. Hilarious.

Reactions: RU848789

Agree, Cool About It reminds me of the Boxer. Similar harmonies and similar style of Travis Picking. Good song

Reactions: RU848789
Straight out of Brooklyn, off their second album, Gustaf--heard on Altrok.com. Deemed as "no wave" and "post punk" whatever those labels even mean :

Newer song by them, that I don't like as much as the one above. Talk about a slow build--go to 4:42 if you get bored:

I've liked what I've heard from this guy so far.
But Springsteen ?
Really ?
A fairly large amount of the children of the 60s I know, don’t care much for the vast majority of Bruce’s music.
Going to Bruce imitation concerts at the shore are torture for me

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT