ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2022-2023 Off Season Thread

Team Cuba announced its 30 man WBC roster today. Penciled in as the starting LF is none other than Yoenis Cespedes.

Chapman is not a FA anymore so you're wrong there. All Worm was asking was which players in the HOF had once worn a Mets uni and listed them. He never claimed Willie Mays was in the HoF because of his time with the Mets. Stick to your own thread or at least know what you're talking about when you come here.
So true, and one of the least informed. The Dead Zone is boring so he comes here to squat and try to drop a deuce,lol.

Please. Mays played two seasons...a total of 135 games....at the end of his career with the Amazins.
Spahn played one year. Snider as well. Same with Ashburn.
Yogi played FOUR games with your team.
Sign Aroldis Chapman...he's a free agent now....and you can add one more to the list.
Too funny.
kbee- you need to see the question and answer the question. Pretty simple concept- he did not ask if any of them deserved to be in the HOF based on their Met playing career.

I mean, if you want to play that game- how many Yankees have their number retired that are not in the HOF or even one of the top 3 to ever play that position for the Yankees. You all are going to run out of numbers soon.

Correct! Arguably the greatest right-handed hitter of all time. He was a coach on the 1962 team. A real ornery SOB. According to one report, one of Casey Stengel's few rules was don't wear muddy cleats in the clubhouse. Hornsby was the primary violator of that rule.

Sadly, Rogers Hornsby died that offseason, January 1963, at age 66.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby
Mays and Hornsby can easily be argued for best right hand hitter. I would put Mays ahead of him. Keep in mind that RH did play before integration.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
MLB Top 100 Right Now rated Lindor #5 shortstop. That's their computer. Their human beings had him ranked higher.

Love it. McNeil hopefully can retire a Met. Wish Cohen was owner when Murphy was about to hit free agency.
So- I doubt even Cohen was giving Murphy a long extension because of a single playoffs. And a very average bat and below average fielding. Slow too.
I liked him but people really need to slow down on Murph…it’s funny, because I do it sometimes too because it just seemed in my head he had two different careers.
A good career with the Mets and HOF quality after.
Except..,a 5 year extension with the Mets after 2015 would have seemed great for a total of two years. He kind of fell off a cliff after that.,,

Reactions: RUfinally2008
37.5M for 3 years not matchable after the guy just went Ruthian? Still no excuse and glad he went off on us.

Mets extend McNeil, 4 years 50 million.
Mets are buying up McNeil's final two arb years. He in turn is giving up two, and potentially three, years of free agency.

Mets are overpaying this year to the tune of at least $5M. They are likely overpaying a bit next year. The payback comes in years three, four, and hopefully five.

Compared to the 4/$78 that Marte got, this seems like a bargain.

I've been saying forever Mauricio is not a big prospect. He's a really interesting player. The prospect community underrated him because his bat to ball skills look bad.

I've been saying forever Mauricio is not a big prospect. He's a really interesting player. The prospect community underrated him because his bat to ball skills look bad.
Bat to ball skills are rather significant, no ?

FWIW, the folks at the Amazin Avenue site are not high on Mauricio to put it mildly.

I've seen him play several times when they came in to play Lakewood. I think if the Mets let him go in a trade it'll come back to bite them in the as$. Some skills aren't coachable, arm strength, speed and power. I saw all 3 and in fact one game at Lakewood when Binghamton came there, Baty, Mauricio and Alvarez all hit bombs.

Last edited:
Aaron Judge money. Barring that, he'll take his chances in free agency.

EDIT: Maybe not Aaron Judge money, but certainly Francisco Lindor money.
I don't think so. 1B don't get paid that high. Look at the Olson contract it might be something like that.

Aaron Judge money. Barring that, he'll take his chances in free agency.

EDIT: Maybe not Aaron Judge money, but certainly Francisco Lindor money.
If he hits 62 home runs this coming season then give him Judge money.

It would either take a shorter term like 5 years at 130-135 or if you go 10- you may have to give him 35-40 per year. Alonso knows that in 5 years, a 40 per year contract will be very common.

If he hits 62 home runs this coming season then give him Judge money.
If he hits 40+ and 120 + rbi again, you give it to him. He is 3 years younger and much more consistent. 3 full seasons and he has 53/37/40 HR and 120/94/131 RBI

Judge deserves his money but Alonso doesn't need 62 to get that money. and if he gets 9 years- you are only paying until 37 vs paying until 40 for Judge.

kbee- you need to see the question and answer the question. Pretty simple concept- he did not ask if any of them deserved to be in the HOF based on their Met playing career.

I mean, if you want to play that game- how many Yankees have their number retired that are not in the HOF or even one of the top 3 to ever play that position for the Yankees. You all are going to run out of numbers soon.

To quote another poster: So true.

Chapman is not a FA anymore so you're wrong there. All Worm was asking was which players in the HOF had once worn a Mets uni and listed them. He never claimed Willie Mays was in the HoF because of his time with the Mets. Stick to your own thread or at least know what you're talking about when you come here.

So true

Please. Mays played two seasons...a total of 135 games....at the end of his career with the Amazins.
Spahn played one year. Snider as well. Same with Ashburn.
Yogi played FOUR games with your team.
Sign Aroldis Chapman...he's a free agent now....and you can add one more to the list.
Too funny.
Please, you guys know that those famous players were "affiliated" with the Mets back in the beginning when the Amazins were winning about 50 games per season and were desperate to have their team mentioned in the same breath with any star player. Don't besmirch their reputations by tying their good names to that sad sack outfit.

Please, you guys know that those famous players were "affiliated" with the Mets back in the beginning when the Amazins were winning about 50 games per season and were desperate to have their team mentioned in the same breath with any star player. Don't besmirch their reputations by tying their good names to that sad sack outfit.
And there is the true kbee, lol. Dead Zone really that Dead?

Ouch. Who’s the one denying facts now?
Guess the truth only matters as long as you agree with it?
Where have I heard that before.

You sound like the CE bozos who do the same thing that you like to call out.

Reactions: BLewis1968
As a Mets fan from the 60’s- this is the one thing we have been blessed with.
Throw in McCarver, Healy, Thorne
Let's not forget the original three: Nelson, Kiner, Murphy. Although they were never a team in the sense that Gary, Keith, and Ron are. Back then, the three announcers covered both TV and radio, switching back and forth between the two. All three were never on the same medium at the same time.

ADVERTISEMENT