ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2022-2023 Off Season Thread

As we stand right now, I'm still concerned about the potential gaps in the lineup at catcher, 3B and DH.
I’m not really worried about 3B. Escobar had a horrible start and still ended fairly decent. If he has just a slightly better year- then he doesn’t hurt us at all.
Catcher- there are a handful of good hitting catchers in the league- this is the position we are much better off with defensive game callers than a bat that is below average defense.
DH- yeah, that is a huge hole.,,

Reactions: RUfinally2008
There are several good teams against which we are competing who have catchers that who hit. Philly, Atlanta, more. We are trying to win the league, not just be better than half of it, or even more than half of it. Escobar, we'll see. I hope you're right.

Last edited:
There are several good teams against which we are competing who have catchers that who hit. Philly, Atlanta, more. We are trying to win the league, not just be better than half of it, or even more than half of it. Escobar, we'll see. I hope you're right.
Forgot who Atlanta has at SS?
Philly lineup is impressive but Harper being out a significant portion of the year hurts.

Reactions: shields
I'd say pen. When Mets threw him in the rotation few years ago he didn't look as good. He actually never performed the same in the pen after that as well even though he was still solid.
It is such a tough call. He has been in the pen for so long and for the most part- very good and dependable, but if you had asked this 3-4 years ago, I would say he could be a good 4/5 starter.
He may surprise and be a average 5th starter now but he would 100% be better as a dependable guy in the pen.

Reactions: colbert17
Tommy Pham signing official. Taylor Saucedo DFA'd to make room on the 40 man. If you don't know who Taylor Saucedo is, I guess there's no point in looking it up now.

Reactions: FrankZ
OT - If you needed further proof that this world is not rational: Scott Rolen is in the Hall of Fame, and Jeff Kent has fallen off the ballot without ever reaching 50%.

OT - If you needed further proof that this world is not rational: Scott Rolen is in the Hall of Fame, and Jeff Kent has fallen off the ballot without ever reaching 50%.
Rolen and D Wright are almost exactly the same player.
Both way above average- borderline HOF but both should just miss it.
Funny thing is, David will barely get even 20%vote.

Rolen only got !0% of the vote in 2018, his first year of eligibility. He got 76% now. I guess he really upped his game in five years.
David and Rolen both had 7 HOF type seasons. Their average season almost exactly the same.
Again- both were way above average and both deserve their clubs to retire their numbers but neither are HOF

Rolen only got !0% of the vote in 2018, his first year of eligibility. He got 76% now. I guess he really upped his game in five years.
I just read that advanced metrics has come out in the last few years that put his WAR in I think the top 7 all time for third baseman. But I wouldn’t have called him a HOFer

I just read that advanced metrics has come out in the last few years that put his WAR in I think the top 7 all time for third baseman. But I wouldn’t have called him a HOFer
He and David are as close as you get but just not there.
And someone like A Jones…when I see so many people talk about him- I think, ok, Ozzie Smith got in with defense but then say…but neither were better at their position that Keith H was at his..,

Rolen won 8 Gold Gloves, David had two. Schmidt said Rolen was better than him on D. And yes the War for Rolen was very good.

On the subject of HOF. A total of 16 former Met players are in the Hall of Fame. Obviously most of them aren't there due to their Met exploits, but they are there.

Without looking them up, how many can you name?

If Scott Rolen is in the HOF, Keith Hernandez, Don Mattingly, Jeff Kent, Albert Belle, others should be in it.

It took Gil Hodges 50 years to get in but Rolen got in his second.

Rolen was a lot better defensively at 3B than Wright. Wright would have got in the HOF if it weren't for his back issues. He would have probably had another 5 seasons with big numbers. Injury was such a shame. My favorite Met.

Last edited:
Reactions: shields
If Scott Rolen is in the HOF, Keith Hernandez, Don Mattingly, Jeff Kent, Albert Belle, others should be in it.

It took Gil Hodges 50 years to get in but Rolen got in his second.
If Rolen is in- I used to always have Hernandez on the just on the bubble. But...Except for HR's- Rolen was not in Hernandez's league in hitting or fielding. And Rolen was good at both. But consider that Keith was a MVP and also had years where he finished, 2/4/8/11 - Rolen finished 4/14 - also, Rolen had no single year that he led the NL in any stat. And as good of a fielder he was, KH changed the way 1B is played and we have yet to see anyone do it as week as he did. And if O Smith is in for his defense- then KH should be in as well.
Rolen was a lot better defensively at 3B than Wright. Wright would have got in the HOF if it weren't for his back issues. He would have probably had another 5 seasons with big numbers. Injury was such a shame. My favorite Met.

Yes, a healthy David Wright had a real shot at the Hall.
Agree with both statements...Without the back issue- DW was easily on his way to the HOF. When you look back at his first 10 years- the guy was an extra base and RBI machine.

Sadly, they’re at the point of putting players in, for the sake of putting players in. Harold Baines ??

Reactions: tico brown
I still can't believe Jeff Kent isn't in yet. Greatest offensive 2nd baseman in history.
You have five years to get your mind around that reality, THat's how long it will be before he can enter via the Fred McGriff route.

On the subject of HOF. A total of 16 former Met players are in the Hall of Fame. Obviously most of them aren't there due to their Met exploits, but they are there.

Without looking them up, how many can you name?
OK no takers, so here they are, in chronological order. The 16 former Met players who are now in the Hall:

1972 - Yogi Berra
1973 - Warren Spahn
1979 - Willie Mays
1980 - Duke Snider
1992 - Tom Seaver
1995 - Richie Ashburn
1999 - Nolan Ryan
2003 - Gary Carter, Eddie Murray
2009 - Ricky Henderson
2011 - Roberto Alomar
2014 - Joe Torre*, Tom Glavine
2015 - Pedro Martinez
2016 - Mike Piazza
2022 - Gil Hodges

Torre has an asterisk because he is in the Hall as manager, but he did play for the Mets.

I had thought that the next addition to the list would be Jeff Kent, but now I would say Billy Wagner.

OK no takers, so here they are, in chronological order. The 16 former Met players who are now in the Hall:

1972 - Yogi Berra
1973 - Warren Spahn
1979 - Willie Mays
1980 - Duke Snider
1992 - Tom Seaver
1995 - Richie Ashburn
1999 - Nolan Ryan
2003 - Gary Carter, Eddie Murray
2009 - Ricky Henderson
2011 - Roberto Alomar
2014 - Joe Torre*, Tom Glavine
2015 - Pedro Martinez
2016 - Mike Piazza
2022 - Gil Hodges

Torre has an asterisk because he is in the Hall as manager, but he did play for the Mets.

I had thought that the next addition to the list would be Jeff Kent, but now I would say Billy Wagner.
Please. Mays played two seasons...a total of 135 games....at the end of his career with the Amazins.
Spahn played one year. Snider as well. Same with Ashburn.
Yogi played FOUR games with your team.
Sign Aroldis Chapman...he's a free agent now....and you can add one more to the list.
Too funny.

Please. Mays played two seasons...a total of 135 games....at the end of his career with the Amazins.
Spahn played one year. Snider as well.
Sign Aroldis Chapman...he's a free agent now....and you can add one more to the list.
Too funny.
Chapman is not a FA anymore so you're wrong there. All Worm was asking was which players in the HOF had once worn a Mets uni and listed them. He never claimed Willie Mays was in the HoF because of his time with the Mets. Stick to your own thread or at least know what you're talking about when you come here.

Chapman is not a FA anymore so you're wrong there. All Worm was asking was which players in the HOF had once worn a Mets uni and listed them. He never claimed Willie Mays was in the HoF because of his time with the Mets. Stick to your own thread or at least know what you're talking about when you come here.
Out of the 16 on the list, the only ones whose Met experience played an integral part in their HOF election were Seaver, Carter, and Piazza.

We all get that.

Too funny.
Maybe we should just retire all their numbers.

Too funny.
OK as long as I'm taking ownership of every great player who's ever worn a Met uniform, let me pose this question:

Who is the greatest hitter who has ever worn a Met uniform?

IMHO there is one clear correct answer, and it's probably not the guy you're thinking of.

I’m hung up between choosing Willie Mays or George Theodore.
Willie Mays is the better answer, but it's not the best answer.

Hint. I did not say the best hitter who ever played for the Mets. I said the best hitter who ever wore a Met uniform.

Too funny.
Chapman is not sniffing the Hall.

Rogers Hornsby
Correct! Arguably the greatest right-handed hitter of all time. He was a coach on the 1962 team. A real ornery SOB. According to one report, one of Casey Stengel's few rules was don't wear muddy cleats in the clubhouse. Hornsby was the primary violator of that rule.

Sadly, Rogers Hornsby died that offseason, January 1963, at age 66.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby

ADVERTISEMENT