ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2022-2023 Off Season Thread

Let's just say that this isn't the only situation that comes up late in games. Maybe you're hyper-focused on it and overplayng its importance. If the Mets don't have a speedy guy who can hit, they have to make a decision about what they will need more often and what will allow them to win the most games. I'll leave that to those who construct the roster, but I won't just muse into existence a plethora of late game needs for a fast guy that outweighs the need for other things that are generally more imporant in baseball, like hitting and good pinch hitters. I will say, though, that Jankowski stinks.
We were discussing the remaining free agents left on the board for a 4th outfielder. We were notctalking about adding a jankowski over a proven hitter. You seem to be obsessing on one aspect of the game, hitting but speed and defense also have a place on a balanced roster. I will also leave it to those who construct the roster to help me prove my point. Over the past couple of seasons we have had guys like janlowski, Lee, Hamilton etc on the roster as a 4th outfielder, so those who construct the roster seem to value that sort of contribution.

You have seen, haven’t you, the interest in other options that haven’t worked out? If we end up with Jankowski and his weak bat it won’t be our first choice or anything close to it. We’ll be settling, Because he stinks. I’m sure the Mets are looking forward to the days when they have a deeper, broader system and the ability to fill out a roster with young athletes, not choices from the land of misfit toys.

Last edited:
Let's just say that this isn't the only situation that comes up late in games. Maybe you're hyper-focused on it and overplayng its importance. If the Mets don't have a speedy guy who can hit, they have to make a decision about what they will need more often and what will allow them to win the most games. I'll leave that to those who construct the roster, but I won't just muse into existence a plethora of late game needs for a fast guy that outweighs the need for other things that are generally more imporant in baseball, like hitting and good pinch hitters. I will say, though, that Jankowski stinks.
Here is the thing…with the DH and quite honestly- pretty much all D players are at least average to above- we no longer have a minus in the field- Maybe Alonso…not much need to worry about defensive replacement.
Also-?outside of catcher-?every position player is a average/good/great hitter- there will be more than likely, with this team, to just need that speed.

Yes, I’m sure that every good team will happily put a crappy hitter who can run on their active roster. I can see it now:

Joe, can he hit?

No. Not a god damn lick. He couldn’t hit little league pitching. In fact, he didn’t.

Ok, Joe. Thanks. Oh, by the way, can he run?

Yeah, I think he’s pretty fast. And he looks cool doing it. His hair flows behind him and everything.

Awesome Joe. Sign him up!!!

Myself- I wouldn’t sign someone just as a base runner. And our outfield doesn’t have any poor defensive starters.
But, we do need a legit 4th OF. And carrying Vogey and Ruf is a shame.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
The fact Correa didn't steal once I read more about it was a red flag for sure.He knew he had issues. Speed is a weapon just like a great arm, you can't coach or teach it, your born with it. Correa didn't use it.

The fact Correa didn't steal once I read more about it was a red flag for sure.He knew he had issues. Speed is a weapon just like a great arm, you can't coach or teach it, your born with it. Correa didn't use it.
Wouldn’t that also be considered an issue with Nimmo then?

BTW- in regard to Correa- love those that say he had no problem passing the physical in Minny. Except, that even the Mets approved him for 6 years. So, apples to oranges.

I would have loved him on the Mets but not to upset not to have him.

are there any bad contract decent OF's out there that a team may want to trade to get out of their contract?

This is heading into trade zone, which after Ruf, clearly isn’t in his lane 😢

Mets have 2 of the top 3 catching prospects in baseball per Pipeline. #6 Endy Rodriguez was a Mets prospect as well who was in Lucchesi trade.

The Top 10 (ETA)
1. Francisco Álvarez, Mets (2023)

2. Diego Cartaya, Dodgers (2024)
3. Kevin Parada, Mets (2025)
4. Harry Ford, Mariners (2025)
5. Logan O'Hoppe, Angels (2023)
6. Endy Rodriguez, Pirates (2023)
7. Henry Davis, Pirates (2024)
8. Bo Naylor, Guardians (2023)
9. Drew Romo, Rockies (2024)
10. Edgar Quero, Angels (2025)

Some notes:

Hit: Parada (60)
The first catcher taken in the 2022 Draft, No. 11 overall by the Mets, Parada keeps thing simple at the plate with a good feel for the barrel. He hit .361 with a .453 OBP at Georgia Tech in his Draft year and that approach could allow him to hit .300 with plenty of pop as a big leaguer.

Power: Álvarez (70)
There likely isn’t another prospect in baseball with more power than Álvarez, both raw and in games. He hit 24 homers as a teenager in A ball in 2021, then 27 more at age 20 at the upper levels last year. His whip-like swing and plus bat speed will continue to produce plenty of home runs in the big leagues.

Highest ceiling: Álvarez
An argument could be made to put Cartaya and his overall skillset here, but if Álvarez can be even an average receiver, his offensive upside should make him an All-Star several times over.

Rookie of the Year candidate: Álvarez
Assuming he gets enough at-bats in New York, it’s easy to see Álvarez putting up the kind of numbers to attract plenty of attention from ROY voters.

Humblest beginning: Rodriguez
Rodriguez signed for just $10,000 with the Mets back in July 2018 and he’s now knocking on the big league door after a huge 2022 season that saw him reach Triple-A in his second season with the Pirates since coming over in the three-team deal that sent Joe Musgrove to the Padres.

Nido signs a new two year deal for a total of $3.7M. It pays him $1.6M in 2023, and $2.1M in 2024 which would have been his final year of arbitration. The Mets guaranteed his 2024 salary in exchange for price certainty.

What does this mean for Alvarez? Probably nothing. When he's deemed to be ready, he will be here.

Former Bench Mob leader Kevin Pillar signs a minor league deal with Atlanta. Watch him become the same pain in the ass that Guillermo Heredia has been for the last two years.

Former Bench Mob leader Kevin Pillar signs a minor league deal with Atlanta. Watch him become the same pain in the ass that Guillermo Heredia has been for the last two years.
Loved that guy and his bravery. To step back into the box that soon after that hit to the face was amazing to me.

Last edited:
It’s ok- for the first time in years, in regard to Atlanta, I say “bring them on”
Now, Philly- they worry me if the are +/- just a couple of games when Harper comes back.

Marlins trading Pablo Lopez to twins for Luis Arraez with some more players involved.

For those who care about the World Baseball Classic, as I do, here is a list of the Mets who are expected to play:

USA
Jeff McNeil
Pete Alonso
Adam Ottavino

PUERTO RICO
Francisco Lindor
Edwin Diaz

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
Starling Marte

NICARAGUA
Mark Vientos

VENEZUELA
Eduardo Escobar

ITALY
Brandon Nimmo

For those who care about the World Baseball Classic, as I do, here is a list of the Mets who are expected to play:

USA
Jeff McNeil
Pete Alonso
Adam Ottavino

PUERTO RICO
Francisco Lindor
Edwin Diaz

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
Starling Marte

NICARAGUA
Mark Vientos

VENEZUELA
Eduardo Escobar

ITALY
Brandon Nimmo
Has Nimmo ever seen Italy? Lol

• Haha
Has Nimmo ever seen Italy? Lol
He played for Italy in 2017, back when he wouldn't have gotten a sniff for the USA team. So I guess he is being loyal. Or maybe it is like international soccer - once you play for one country, you can't switch.

As you may know, Team Italy is managed by none other than Mike Piazza.

One other note: Mets Top 10 prospect Calvin Ziegler has committed to play for Canada.

A Francisco Alvarez note: per Andy Martino, Alvarez is not under consideration to be the Mets primary DH in 2023. He won't be brought up until he's deemed ready to be their primary catcher, at which time he will no doubt DH occasionally.

A Francisco Alvarez note: per Andy Martino, Alvarez is not under consideration to be the Mets primary DH in 2023. He won't be brought up until he's deemed ready to be their primary catcher, at which time he will no doubt DH occasionally.
Ugh.......Hopefully it's a lot more Pham and Baty / Escobar etc and not more of Vogelbach / Ruf

USA
Jeff McNeil
Pete Alonso
Adam Ottavino

PUERTO RICO
Francisco Lindor
Edwin Diaz

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
Starling Marte

NICARAGUA
Mark Vientos

VENEZUELA
Eduardo Escobar

ITALY
Brandon Nimmo
Btw per odds I saw today, Dominincan Republic is a slight favorite over U.S. to win

Tommy Pham was terrible with the Padres. He always has that Chris Ash constipated face. Has had issues over the past few years. The pre game fanntasy football slap and he was stabbed in a strip club parking lot in SD. Padres signed 107 year old Nelson Cruz to DH. I'd rather have him than Pham.
Met fans, don't expect much from him.

Tommy Pham was terrible with the Padres. He always has that Chris Ash constipated face. Has had issues over the past few years. The pre game fanntasy football slap and he was stabbed in a strip club parking lot in SD. Padres signed 107 year old Nelson Cruz to DH. I'd rather have him than Pham.
Met fans, don't expect much from him.
He's our 4th OF and maybe even 5th OF if Baty rotates in as well. Basically an afterthought on this team to hopefully displace Ruf.

I remember a few years back when pretty much the same thing was said about Alonso and he tore up spring training.
If Alvarez tears up ST and sent down and does the same is aaa- then it is that dreaded contract control type BS.
But, I also understand them wanting him to really learn the position.

I remember a few years back when pretty much the same thing was said about Alonso and he tore up spring training.
If Alvarez tears up ST and sent down and does the same is aaa- then it is that dreaded contract control type BS.
But, I also understand them wanting him to really learn the position.
Remember, he’s only 21

Lets just hope Alvarez is working hard at his backup skill and isn't going to be lazy behind the dish like that former Baby Bomber dog Gary Sanchez☺️

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT