ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2022-2023 Off Season Thread

Let's not forget the original three: Nelson, Kiner, Murphy. Although they were never a team in the sense that Gary, Keith, and Ron are. Back then, the three announcers covered both TV and radio, switching back and forth between the two. All three were never on the same medium at the same time.
Nelson/Kiner/Murphy are a given and mentioned in the article that was linked. Just tried to mention the bridge between these great teams.

Top 100 Prospects per Keith Law of The Athletic:

#7 Alvarez
#31 Baty
#44 Parada
#68 Ramirez
#87 Mauricio

Mauricio's stock is dropping - Law had him at #40 last year.

Reactions: Zak57
That's fine but they just need to have a quick hook with him if he doesn't show it by end of May.

Reactions: Unionst
That's fine but they just need to have a quick hook with him if he doesn't show it by end of May.
This one just bothers me (and you were right there with me). Literally one quick review of 1 AB on At Bat and I knew we were screwed. Hopefully he turns it around, but I'm not feeling it.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
Leaving Citi Field. Next stop, Port St. Lucie.
327317410_6321217837890766_4700100342724197579_n.jpg

This one just bothers me (and you were right there with me). Literally one quick review of 1 AB on At Bat and I knew we were screwed. Hopefully he turns it around, but I'm not feeling it.
You watched 1 AB and knew we were screwed? Impressed

Yep and posted about here at the time of the trade
I get that he sucked here but he does have a pretty good history against lefties-
Regardless- you literally are saying you knew he would suck here by watching 1 single AB? Just a little bit of hyperbole

Reactions: RUfinally2008
I get that he sucked here but he does have a pretty good history against lefties-
Regardless- you literally are saying you knew he would suck here by watching 1 single AB? Just a little bit of hyperbole
Yes, he looked like the 2nd coming of Cuddyer in G1 WS ‘15, which this team should have sniffed out if I could

I was and still am. At some point I looked at Rufs numbers against LHP like Eppler said so I'm trying to give Ruf the benefit of the doubt.

Still goes down as a terrible trade overall.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankZ
Can anyone verify the deGrom story for leaving?
Here is what I've heard:
My understanding is Sandy Alderson played a role in his leaving. It appears deGrom and Sandy didn't see eye to eye after Sandy degraded him to lower the cost to re-sign deGrom. Sandy is not the GM but continues to interfere with the baseball side of the organization. Sandy is rubbing plenty of people the wrong way within the organization. Hence, another reason why the Mets are trying to push Sandy out without embarrassing him.

I'm sure more will come out over the years but that could be a part of it. He apparently didn't seem to like NY as well. Hey it's not for everyone.

I have no idea of Sandy’s involvement etc. But it’s been reported that Mets brass knew Jake wasn’t returning. It was a personal thing with his family made worse by the offer which Jake felt was disrespectful etc.

I have no idea of Sandy’s involvement etc. But it’s been reported that Mets brass knew Jake wasn’t returning. It was a personal thing with his family made worse by the offer which Jake felt was disrespectful etc.
deGrom was not going to sign with the Mets. It was a well known fact. He wanted to move to a red state. He got the Rangers to offer him the contract he was looking for. I don't think he hates the Mets. Obviously his chances for winning a ring is much higher with an owner like Cohen, but that was not his goal.

Some interesting quotes from Buck. Apparently Jake had told Buck that he fully expected to remain a Met, and someday Jake would reveal the "real story" behind his departure.

Buck then tactfully states that he takes the above with a few grains of salt.

deGrom was not going to sign with the Mets. It was a well known fact. He wanted to move to a red state. He got the Rangers to offer him the contract he was looking for. I don't think he hates the Mets. Obviously his chances for winning a ring is much higher with an owner like Cohen, but that was not his goal.
Who knows all that went on but the Rangers gave him a crazy stupid contract. If the Mets had offered that contract, he would still be a Met.

I know you had made those posts, you don’t have to repost them.
What I am saying- you saw 1 AB and decided you had an opinion. For 2022, you were right.
What I am also saying- you did not make a qualified decision on his chances to succeed in watching 1 AB. That is just a crazy, stupid statement.

I know you had made those posts, you don’t have to repost them.
What I am saying- you saw 1 AB and decided you had an opinion. For 2022, you were right.
What I am also saying- you did not make a qualified decision on his chances to succeed in watching 1 AB. That is just a crazy, stupid statement.
I usually never do that, but this time I did, and proved to be right. What can I tell you, the guy just looked like awful ‘15 WS Cuddyer all over again.

I usually never do that, but this time I did, and proved to be right. What can I tell you, the guy just looked like awful ‘15 WS Cuddyer all over again.
What I am saying…you saw and made that assessment- but even you know, NO ONE can do that in watching a single AB.
That is my point- you had already formed an opinion and that 1 AB confirmed it.
And if he goes 37/150 9 HR this year as a DH?
Do you say you were completely wrong?

MLB Network has announced it's Top 10 Starting Pitchers Right Now.

Verlander #2.
Scherzer #4.

Top of Mets rotation is pretty good.

Two former Mets made the list - Wheeler #8 and deGrom #9. deGrom obviously downgraded due to injury concerns.

Possible future Met Ohtani #6.

That list seemed out of place to me. Leaving Dylan Cease off was part of it. Not sure what The Shredder algo consists of though.

Not that anyone cares and not that it matters.
But you don’t see omitting your first sentence and acknowledging he’s seen a lot of baseball is more tactful and respectful?
I don’t think any part of it was meant as a compliment but I’ll just leave it as to who the source is.

Baty was working with Tulowitzki on his D this winter. Not a bad guy to get lessons from!

Keith Law ranked our farm system #15 overall. Still a bit top heavy as we know but depth starting to build.

You say some awful weird stuff.
I remember Don Buford hitting Seavers 2nd pitch of 1969 World Series for a lead off homerun like it was yesterday.
#4 Swoboda misplaying the ball and crumpling into the wall
I remember 1962. My favorite Mets back then were Jay Hook, Choo Choo Coleman, Jim Hickman and Rod Kanehl.

Reactions: zappaa
I remember 1962. My favorite Mets back then were Jay Hook, Choo Choo Coleman, Jim Hickman and Rod Kanehl.
All I remember about 1962 is that I was in a nice comfy, dark place, fed well and growing like crazy. And then poof- bright light, covered in goop and someone spanking my ass making me cry...lol

• Haha
Matt Allan had UCL revision surgery. Probably out another full year. His career is basically finished before it even had begun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT