ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2022 NY Mets Season And Post Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how did Robertson’s value go from wanting one of the top four prospect in the Mets org/MiLB to getting an Phillies’ A Ball pitcher with TJ in a matter of hours???
Because the reporters are being fed BS. They're not actually in these trade conversations.

Two things:

(1) having now been forced to read this thing you linked, I have to ask why you point to a blogger who speculates that the Mets were gunshy about offering their better prospects for Contreras and says nothing about your conspiracy theory? Let me guess. You read it between the lines.

(2) even more concerning, why cite this guy for anything, even something that he doesn't say? He's in the insurance and healthcare business, has one of the existing ten-bajillion blogs in the world, and his self-prcolaimed qualifications are: "co-founder of Cubs Insider and has proclaimed himself Central Indiana's foremost Cubs authority. He is a husband, father, homebrewer, and award-winning blogger with entirely too much pop culture knowledge. Evan's greatest accomplishments include scoring 400 points in Magic Johnson's Fast Break, naming all 10 members of the Wu-Tang Clan in under 3.5 seconds, and winning the Meese Literary Award at Hanover College."

If you're still doubting that you are simply offering conspiracy theories, this could be a self-reflection moment.

Reactions: rubaseball78
I thought some mentioned Chicago wanted at least two of the Mets' top prospects for Robertson. It turns out the Cubs sent Robertson to the Phillies for a rookie A-ball prospect. I still think there is pushback against Cohen owning the team. It started with no team allowing the Mets to interview candidates from their team for the open GM job. Next, the Mets wanted to trade for players, and every team asked for the Moon, but those same teams ended up trading the same players for peanuts. There is a lot of hate against the Mets from most of the MLB, but no one is talking about it.
The thing is these owners knew what they were getting with Cohen. They did not have to approve him. They could have turned him down and ended up with the J-Lo & AROD circus; which I am sure some wanted as it would have kept NY weak.

As for SD- yes, they grand slammed the TD but at what cost of the future- but the worry is about this year- hopefully, the silver lining is that if we hang onto 1st, we may only have to face one of either the Dodgers or SD on the way to the WS, not both.

This is what Preller does though, he’s excellent at identifying talent. The Padres have not been great at developing that talent. It’s actually a good business model, load your farm and then sell your farm for established players.

We will be reloaded in the farm in 3 years because of Preller.

With that said, it’s 3 years to take a stab at this thing. If it doesn’t work, who cares? I appreciate the fact that the front office is freaking going for it. No more “small market” excuse BS. We’re spending money and want to win. An NLCS game in SD vs LA would be must see TV, it’s a great thing for the game.

Also, we’re going to resign Soto. We are refusing to play second fiddle to the Doyers and I love it.

I would feel differently if Soto was just a rental, but this is 2.5 years of control. Hader looked great last night, and I thought we robbed the Brew crew with that deal.

Only bummer is Voit getting moved, he had a really rough start, but thought he was turning into a good piece for us.

We seem to agree often, or at least I think we do, but c'mon. Mets had their ace back on the mound against one of the worst teams baseball that lost their two best players. I'm usually mister sunshine, but some whining was justified.
Fully agreed. Tack on a day that started with hope of good deadline deals and we end up with Darin Ruf...it was a royally tough pill to swallow.

Fully agreed. Tack on a day that started with hope of good deadline deals and we end up with Darin Ruf...it was a royally tough pill to swallow.
Today needs to be a win going into that Atlanta series. If we can get out of the Atlanta series still up at least 1 (preferably 2) games, good. Anything more, even better.

Reactions: FrankZ
I don’t think Ruf is all that bad tbh.

I think it just shows front office is happy with the team you got and he wanted to roll with it.
Ruf/Volgelbach actually make up to be a damn good DH. See the numbers I posted above.

Met's big failure was Catcher and a lefty. But, as mentioned, the Cohen factor does seem to be in place.

Our team is still built nicely for the playoffs so it isnt like giving up on the season. We actually got better and gave up almost nothing.

But my gut tells me- Cohen will put the screws to the other owners come this offseason with FA's.

This is what Preller does though, he’s excellent at identifying talent. The Padres have not been great at developing that talent. It’s actually a good business model, load your farm and then sell your farm for established players.

We will be reloaded in the farm in 3 years because of Preller.

With that said, it’s 3 years to take a stab at this thing. If it doesn’t work, who cares? I appreciate the fact that the front office is freaking going for it. No more “small market” excuse BS. We’re spending money and want to win. An NLCS game in SD vs LA would be must see TV, it’s a great thing for the game.

Also, we’re going to resign Soto. We are refusing to play second fiddle to the Doyers and I love it.

I would feel differently if Soto was just a rental, but this is 2.5 years of control. Hader looked great last night, and I thought we robbed the Brew crew with that deal.

Only bummer is Voit getting moved, he had a really rough start, but thought he was turning into a good piece for us.
Boras almost never does early signings or extensions. Why are you so sure he is signing? I'm not saying he won't but what makes you so sure?

Yesterday's events:
1) Saw Ruf trade
2) Saw 4 players in deal and panicked
3) Immediately fled to MLB At Bat and watched his first AB from the night before
4) Had flashbacks to Cuddyer (his Game 1 in '15 WS still nauseates me)

Reactions: cicero grimes
Yesterday's events:
1) Saw Ruf trade
2) Saw 4 players in deal and panicked
3) Immediately fled to MLB At Bat and watched his first AB from the night before
4) Had flashbacks to Cuddyer (his Game 1 in '15 WS still nauseates me)
And you will have the pleasure of repeating that experience for the next two seasons as he is signed through 2024.

• Sad
Reactions: FrankZ

I think it just shows front office is happy with the team you got and he wanted to roll with it.
And the Padres have a hill to climb to win the West. The Mets have to stay on top of their hill with the Braves nipping at their heels.

Boras almost never does early signings or extensions. Why are you so sure he is signing? I'm not saying he won't but what makes you so sure?
Because ultimately it’s Soto’s call, not Boras’.

"Well, I do have a record. You name me my guys we've taken to free agency and I'll name you a guy that we haven't. What we do is we listen to players and we follow what players tell us to do, because we work for them. Other than that, Juan, I just know that Juan has mentioned to me that he wants to make sure he's working for a club that's going to compete annually."

This is about to be a 10-15 year run by the Padres with two young Dominican stars that have played together since they were 15.

We got Tatis as a steal (assuming he stays healthy through the majority of his contract), just re-signed Musgrove on a steal IMO, and in hearing conversations from them and Preller, they’re selling a vision these guys are buying into. They’re openly telling players they’re committed to a championship, and this deadline proved it.

Is it possible Soto gets a massive deal from the Dodgers, or Giants, or Yankees? Absolutely. I just think he’s going to have a blast the next couple years playing in SD and will want to remain a part of it. It’s not like Tatis is going anywhere anytime soon.

Because ultimately it’s Soto’s call, not Boras’.

"Well, I do have a record. You name me my guys we've taken to free agency and I'll name you a guy that we haven't. What we do is we listen to players and we follow what players tell us to do, because we work for them. Other than that, Juan, I just know that Juan has mentioned to me that he wants to make sure he's working for a club that's going to compete annually."

This is about to be a 10-15 year run by the Padres with two young Dominican stars that have played together since they were 15.

We got Tatis as a steal (assuming he stays healthy through the majority of his contract), just re-signed Musgrove on a steal IMO, and in hearing conversations from them and Preller, they’re selling a vision these guys are buying into. They’re openly telling players they’re committed to a championship, and this deadline proved it.

Is it possible Soto gets a massive deal from the Dodgers, or Giants, or Yankees? Absolutely. I just think he’s going to have a blast the next couple years playing in SD and will want to remain a part of it. It’s not like Tatis is going anywhere anytime soon.
If I’m Soto- nothing happens this year, regardless. Next year, maybe. SD getting to the WS would help a ton. Other than a WS, I think he goes to FA…

And the Padres have a hill to climb to win the West. The Mets have to stay on top of their hill with the Braves nipping at their heels.
Down 11.5 games with 12 games left vs LA.

Lots of people saying it’s too late, but I don’t think so.

Either way, it doesn’t matter, get to the wildcard game and anything can happen.

Down 11.5 games with 12 games left vs LA.

Lots of people saying it’s too late, but I don’t think so.

Either way, it doesn’t matter, get to the wildcard game and anything can happen.
True. Even if the Braves catch the Mets, they are in good shape for wildcard unless they have an epic collapse.

If I’m Soto- nothing happens this year, regardless. Next year, maybe. SD getting to the WS would help a ton. Other than a WS, I think he goes to FA…
Entirely possible. Honestly doesn’t matter to me either way, I’m just excited for these 3 runs and whatever happens happens. Petco is going to be a blast

Reactions: yesrutgers01
FWIW I think you guys have a better team than the Braves and playoff baseball in NYC is unmatched.
I agree. But even some here seem to think the Braves are superior because they hit a lot of home runs which I guess is flashy. They also strike out a ton whereas the Mets just battle you, break you down and administer death by a thousand cuts.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
I agree. But even some here seem to think the Braves are superior because they hit a lot of home runs which I guess is flashy. They also strike out a ton whereas the Mets just battle you, break you down and administer death by a thousand cuts.
I mean look at the Yanks right now. Lost last night and on track to lose again today. Dropping 2 of 3 to Seattle at home.

HRs are awesome, but they aren’t everything.

Nothing compares to October Mets baseball for me in regards to sports.
The amazing thing is that you say this as a Met fan but you are very much correct even if you weren't. When the Met's are good, in a race or in the playoffs with a packed house- it is like no where else...Not even the Yankee fans during their run in the late 90's.

Excellent start 💩

Good job by Bassitt avoiding a big inning after error and bunt single to start inning

Last edited:
Love Lindor’s energy. Would have never given him $340 million, but heck, ain’t my money. But I like how he relates to his teammates too.

Chris Farley Dancing GIF

Vogelbomb!!!! 💣💣💣💣

Trade of the century.
he is actually a good pickup on his own but to platoon DH between him and Ruf- we got one of the best players out there not named Soto.
As I mentioned before- if you take both numbers vs r/l splits- we got a .260 21 HR .370 OBP almost .900 OPS up until today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT