ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2022-2023 Off Season Thread

A hypothetical for you:

Let's say that Manfred decrees that the Mets are banned from making any more 2023 transactions. They are allowed one more free agent signing. That's it.

Whom do you sign?

My vote is Duvall.

Reactions: FrankZ
Talking Robert Duvall GIF

SIAP - ESPN is reporting (unconfirmed) that all AAA games will use robot umps this season. There will be two operating models, with half the games played under each.

1) The robot makes all the ball/strike calls.

2) The human ump makes the calls, but each manager is allowed three challenges per game. If the challenge is successful, it is retained. So in theory a team can challenge indefinitely.

I see #2 as the eventual bridge to #1.

EDIT: Actually, the managers cannot challenge. Only the pitcher, catcher, and batter can. I guess they want to avoid delays while the manager is watching replays while deciding whether to challenge.

McNeil the only player we didn't agree with arb on.
McNeil filed for $7.75M and the Mets filed for $6.25M. Based on prior estimates, the Mets filing is the more realistic. I am guessing they will come to an 11th hour agreement to avoid the arbitration process, which can get nasty.

Reactions: cicero grimes
McNeil filed for $7.75M and the Mets filed for $6.25M. Based on prior estimates, the Mets filing is the more realistic. I am guessing they will come to an 11th hour agreement to avoid the arbitration process, which can get nasty.
I was thinking it would be more for the batting champion

Reactions: RUfinally2008
I was thinking it would be more for the batting champion
Give the man the extra money, he won the batting title and has been extremely productive since he's been called up years ago. Has to be frustrating to see all the money thrown around when you've been a huge part of the organization for several years. Uncle Stevie has the money.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Give the man the extra money, he won the batting title and has been extremely productive since he's been called up years ago. Has to be frustrating to see all the money thrown around when you've been a huge part of the organization for several years. Uncle Stevie has the money.
I would hope it may just be a precursor to a longer term extension that they are working on.

But I hate to even say this- makes McNeil super attractive as trade…

I would hope it may just be a precursor to a longer term extension that they are working on.

But I hate to even say this- makes McNeil super attractive as trade…
Let's hope the first part or your response comes true, as I don't want any part of him being traded. Just like Nimmo, he works pitchers counts and is a pain in the ass for opposing pitchers. We got 2 of those guys in the lineup with a couple others that do that, but not to the extent those 2 do, and I love that fact. When they do bat 1 & 2 on occasion, it's Lenny and Wally to me.

Lol they're not trading McNeil because of a possible arb dispute.
I meant his salary, if correct and still being under some control- makes him very attractive to other teams. They would not be trading him because of a dispute. And doubt it would happen but, it makes him very attractive to use if let’s say, you wanted to pry a certain 2 way player from another team a year early.

I meant his salary, if correct and still being under some control- makes him very attractive to other teams. They would not be trading him because of a dispute. And doubt it would happen but, it makes him very attractive to use if let’s say, you wanted to pry a certain 2 way player from another team a year early.
That's still no reason to deal McNeil. Angels wouldn't want a 30 year old about to get a bigger deal. They want prospects.

They're also giving Baptist $1.1 million. He's an OF. Giving SS Larez a $1.5 million bonus.

That's still no reason to deal McNeil. Angels wouldn't want a 30 year old about to get a bigger deal. They want prospects.
I dn't think they have any intention to trade him. My point was that it is a very low number for a guy that is a batting champion and it didn't seem like an outliner season for him.
I also don't think they are going to trade for S.O. when they can buy him next year anyway. I was just making a point that if I were another team and the Met's come to me for a mega deal trade- I would be asking for McNeil because of how team friendly that contract is for a known commodity.

I dn't think they have any intention to trade him. My point was that it is a very low number for a guy that is a batting champion and it didn't seem like an outliner season for him.
I also don't think they are going to trade for S.O. when they can buy him next year anyway. I was just making a point that if I were another team and the Met's come to me for a mega deal trade- I would be asking for McNeil because of how team friendly that contract is for a known commodity.
It does seem odd that Alonso will be paid twice as much as McNeil this year. But the Mets offer to McNeil was right on line with the MLB Trade Rumors estimate, which was based on prior comparables.

We know that chicks dig the long ball. Apparently, arbitrators do too.

Our old friend Travis Jankowski is still available. Love his speed. Would not mind seeing him back.

The late innings aren't somehow exempt from the need for hitting. If you mean just the ninth inning in games with a lead, then that's mostly OK. But there is so little room for a guy who can't hit at all on a team. Jankowski's a last resort for just about any roster.

The late innings aren't somehow exempt from the need for hitting. If you mean just the ninth inning in games with a lead, then that's mostly OK. But there is so little room for a guy who can't hit at all on a team. Jankowski's a last resort for just about any roster.
Not just games with a lead in the late innings but also games in the late innings where we trail and need a run. Jankowski can score from first on a double as a pinch runner. It does not have to be Jankowski, I just want someone who can defend late and gives us some speed for those situations.

Not just games with a lead in the late innings but also games in the late innings where we trail and need a run. Jankowski can score from first on a double as a pinch runner. It does not have to be Jankowski, I just want someone who can defend late and gives us some speed for those situations.
Keep listing them, each of the moments to have someone with speed. Yet there is no requirement that, to address those situtations, you must sign a guy with speed who can't hit. How about a guy with speed who can hit? Jankowski is a last resort, a roster deficiency.

Keep listing them, each of the moments to have someone with speed. Yet there is no requirement that, to address those situtations, you must sign a guy with speed who can't hit. How about a guy with speed who can hit? Jankowski is a last resort, a roster deficiency.
Speedy guys who can hit are currently not available in the FA pool. We were talking about the remaining free agents. Do you want to see Ruf in LF late in a game or Vogelbach as a tying run on first late? If the Mets can land someone speedy who can hit I am all for it.

. . . Do you want to see Ruf in LF late in a game or Vogelbach as a tying run on first late? . . .
Let's just say that this isn't the only situation that comes up late in games. Maybe you're hyper-focused on it and overplayng its importance. If the Mets don't have a speedy guy who can hit, they have to make a decision about what they will need more often and what will allow them to win the most games. I'll leave that to those who construct the roster, but I won't just muse into existence a plethora of late game needs for a fast guy that outweighs the need for other things that are generally more imporant in baseball, like hitting and good pinch hitters. I will say, though, that Jankowski stinks.

Reactions: Zak57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT