ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Devils 2023-2024 Thread

Sharongovich has two more goals than our leading scorer and he’s 6 years younger than Toffoli.

Just a terrible job by Fitzgerald overall especially the Timo trade where Zetterlund is the better player and we gave SJ much more.

No wonder why we are 7 points behind “rebuilding “ Philly

Sharongovich has two more goals than our leading scorer and he’s 6 years younger than Toffoli.

Just a terrible job by Fitzgerald overall especially the Timo trade where Zetterlund is the better player and we gave SJ much more.

No wonder why we are 7 points behind “rebuilding “ Philly
Is this what we are doing now? Acting like Zetterlund is a better player then Timo?

Just watched the highlights of the Bruins game.

And that pivot move by McLeod out of the corner, 3rd period I think? His ascension is incredible, and it doesn't look like we are near a top. I'm really not sure what his ceiling is, but it's up there.

I think we will be talking about how much his shot has improved next.

Guy is "tough" too.

As we keep falling further out of the WC and have a share load of long term injuries including our star
They really haven't fallen further out of the WC at all though. They're 6-3-1 in their last 10 and can jump back into the WC1 slot with a win over MTL tonight. They've played fewer games than any team East outside of OTT and are 4th in point percentage in the Metro. Whether they can do anything with all these games in hand is another question, given the injuries.

On that front, Meier is on the ice and taking line rushes this morning, so he looks to be back tonight. However, neither Smith, nor Luke are out there. Cal Foote will probably draw in to one of those spots. Daws to start in goal.

They really haven't fallen further out of the WC at all though. They're 6-3-1 in their last 10 and can jump back into the WC1 slot with a win over MTL tonight. They've played fewer games than any team East outside of OTT and are 4th in point percentage in the Metro. Whether they can do anything with all these games in hand is another question, given the injuries.

On that front, Meier is on the ice and taking line rushes this morning, so he looks to be back tonight. However, neither Smith, nor Luke are out there. Cal Foote will probably draw in to one of those spots. Daws to start in goal.
Amanda Stein just tweeted that Luke is sick, but expected to play tonight.

Injury cursed

Toffoli - Hischier - Bratt
Meier - McLeod - Mercer
Haula - Lazar - Bastian
Willman - Tierney - Holtz

Those are tonight's line rushes for tonight's game. Ruff's handling of Holtz borders on the criminally insane.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Toffoli - Hischier - Bratt
Meier - McLeod - Mercer
Haula - Lazar - Bastian
Willman - Tierney - Holtz

Those are tonight's line rushes for tonight's game. Ruff's handling of Holtz borders on the criminally insane.
Bad turnover in the 3rd near the blueline by Holtz.

Ruff has demanded Holtz play a more complete game, and I think that has helped Holtz develop a more complete game, but when their are lapses in play, Ruff sends the message via TOI and linemates.

Bad turnover in the 3rd near the blueline by Holtz.

Ruff has demanded Holtz play a more complete game, and I think that has helped Holtz develop a more complete game, but when their are lapses in play, Ruff sends the message via TOI and linemates.
And I'd be fine with that if he held everyone on the team to the same account, but he has a hard-on for Holtz. To your point, he's finally adjusting to the NHL and leading the fancy stats at 5v5 for the entire team. Better than Jack, better than Nico, better than Timo. Nate Bastian shouldn't be in the NHL, much less getting more ice time than Holtz. Playing him next to Chris Tierney doesn't do him a service.

Is this what we are doing now? Acting like Zetterlund is a better player then Timo?
The timo contract will age like milk.

Devs are in pretty bad shape on the back end and in net. Fitz I think really thought he was on top of the world after last season and beating a rangers team who effectively didnt have a coach. He thought winnepeg would gift him helly. He made his bed, now hes sleeping in it.

Also the nhl thread was better than just a devs thread

And I'd be fine with that if he held everyone on the team to the same account, but he has a hard-on for Holtz. To your point, he's finally adjusting to the NHL and leading the fancy stats at 5v5 for the entire team. Better than Jack, better than Nico, better than Timo. Nate Bastian shouldn't be in the NHL, much less getting more ice time than Holtz. Playing him next to Chris Tierney doesn't do him a service.
He lead's in terms some individual numbers 5v5. Notably points/60 and goals/60. His shots/60 are also good, though not team best.

His on ice #'s are not so good. Corsi% shot% and xGF% are not more towards bottom of the team then the top.

Truthfully if we are talking "fancy stats" Bastian has a better xGF% then Holtz. Not that I'm in love with that stat.

Last edited:
I wonder how things go with mcleod’s next contract. I know he wasnt exactly thrilled how fitz held the canada thing over his head while negotiating. Pair that with he’ll be 1 year from UFA and a higher salary cap. Of course hes arb eligible too.

If mcleod were to hit UFA this summer (which hes not obviously) he’d fetch 5X5 more than likely. Anyway, itll be interesting to see how it goes

Fitz is a pretty cut throat negotiator and players and other gm’s alike dont love it. He never tries for the win win, he treats everything as zero sum

He lead's in terms some individual numbers 5v5. Notably points/60 and goals/60. His shots/60 are also good, though not team best.

His on ice #'s are not so good. Corsi% shot% and xGF% are not more towards bottom of the team then the top.

Truthfully if we are talking "fancy stats" Bastian has a better xGF% then Holtz. Not that I'm in love with that stat.
I think it's impressive he's at or near the top of any category, given the lack of top-6 time he gets. He plays next to plugs on a nightly basis. I'm not saying he's a perfect player or that he should be given top line minutes, but Ruff has stunted his growth here. He needs more than 11 mins of ice time on a team ravaged with injuries to it's top 6 forwards.

Based on what?

I can’t control the behavior of snowflakes that don’t like to discuss reality.

We need a win tonight at all costs
Tonight is just as important as any other game...not that important.

If things hold as they are now 96 points is what you need to get in the playoffs. We probably need 49 points in 43 games. GM has 2 things in his back pocket. Cap space to make a trade and fire the coach. It is almost a certainty the team will get a D or 2 and maybe a goalie. I'd like to think Timo, Palat and jack at some point get healthy too.

I am very optimistic about things.

Reactions: goru1869
I think it's impressive he's at or near the top of any category, given the lack of top-6 time he gets. He plays next to plugs on a nightly basis. I'm not saying he's a perfect player or that he should be given top line minutes, but Ruff has stunted his growth here. He needs more than 11 mins of ice time on a team ravaged with injuries to it's top 6 forwards.
I dunno, I think in demanding Holtz play an all around game he is helping Holtz long term.

And as you note, he's producing with scrubs, so these guys are not holding him down too much.

I wonder how things go with mcleod’s next contract. I know he wasnt exactly thrilled how fitz held the canada thing over his head while negotiating. Pair that with he’ll be 1 year from UFA and a higher salary cap. Of course hes arb eligible too.

If mcleod were to hit UFA this summer (which hes not obviously) he’d fetch 5X5 more than likely. Anyway, itll be interesting to see how it goes

Fitz is a pretty cut throat negotiator and players and other gm’s alike dont love it. He never tries for the win win, he treats everything as zero sum
I've been a big McLeod fan, but if he thought Fitz should give him a big contract while a rape investigation was on going he's not living in reality.

I'm not sure what kind of contract he will fetch, yes he has broken out, but most of his career has been underwhelming, production wise at least.

I think $5x5 would be pretty fair, and could turn into a very good deal for NJ. To the point where I would give him a 6th year at that AAV.

The league should offer some assistance to the Devils gamenight presentation staff.
It’s pretty weak compared to other arenas

Noted. Anyhow, back to the original discussion. You say tonight is a pretty much a must win…

Does that mean you agree the devils still can make the playoffs? If not why do you consider it a must win?

I've been a big McLeod fan, but if he thought Fitz should give him a big contract while a rape investigation was on going he's not living in reality.

I'm not sure what kind of contract he will fetch, yes he has broken out, but most of his career has been underwhelming, production wise at least.

I think $5x5 would be pretty fair, and could turn into a very good deal for NJ. To the point where I would give him a 6th year at that AAV.
At his age hes gonna want a 7-8 year deal or a 1-2 year deal. 5X5 was dumb. I mostly just meant $5mm cap hit

Zzzzzz

Step up your game bruh

I’m asking you a question. Why won’t you answer?

Let’s have a civil conversation about the devils? You’ve said since week 1 that they were done, are a terrible team and aren’t gonna make the playoffs.

Why all the sudden is tonight’s game a must win if you truly feel this way?

At his age hes gonna want a 7-8 year deal or a 1-2 year deal. 5X5 was dumb. I mostly just meant $5mm cap hit
Before this season a 7-8 year deal would have been a pipe dream

Has this year earned him max term? Maybe. Maybe not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT