ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ musical artists

Let's not forget Rutgers own...."Looking Glass"
Let's not forget Rutgers own...."Looking Glass"
They were well known for their one hit wonder "Brandy" (You're a fine girl).

One of the great classic songs. Band members may have attended RU after their "fame". I entered Cook Fall 81 and sometime between 81 and 86 I remember reading (Cook paper) the guitarist? was attending at That point. "Brandy" was a 70s song.
Would have to check but "Brandy" woul

Band members may have attended ru post fame. I attended COOK FALL 81 TO may 1986. Somewhere within the Cook paper reported the guitarist? was a then current student.

Yes you have. She had a Billboard #1 in 1971 with "Brand New Key" ("I've got a brand new pair of roller skates / you've got a brand new key"). It was an AM radio staple for years, really all through the 70s until the demise of AM music radio.

WORST SONG EVER. I hope she dies a horrible death for recording that song. And now its stuck in my head - again.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
Band members may have attended ru post fame. I attended COOK FALL 81 TO may 1986. Somewhere within the Cook paper reported the guitarist? was a then current student.
They were at RU long before 81. I'm sure someone will have an exact year, but it was in the 70's.

The first time I went to Maxwell's it was to see The Feelies. Probably around 1982.

the_feelies_press_shot_for_website.jpg

And of course the most underrated, under appreciated band of all time doesn’t even get a mention in a 4 page thread about NJ music !
Let’s just call them the most mismanaged band in history -

From the blue collar town of Garfield,NJ ...

The Rascals

Some of their hits include : Good Lovin, How can I be sure , it’s a beautiful morning , Groovin, I’ve been lonely too long and much much more.

Patti Smith's musical director, Lenny Kaye played at many RU dances at the commons in the mid 60's (the band was called the Zoo)...and he graduated from Rutgers!

MO

He taught a music class I took sophomore year on Douglass campus, I forget the exact name but it covered popular genres of music up to the mid-eighties. fun class and well attended.

Melanie had some really good songs, Brand New Key was not one of them, even though it topped the charts, I really hated that song, so irritating.
You Probably hated it because of what it implied, I'd say this was a
ground breaker, and the beginning of what followed in coming years.
She was an absolute favorite of mine, My wife and I went to see her at the Garden State
Arts Center, she was alone on the stage and it was her and her guitar, no backup music
no back up singers, and it was the worst show I have ever seen.

Last edited:
You Probably hated it because of what it implied, I'd say this was a
ground breaker, and the beginning of what followed in coming years.
She was an absolute favorite of mine, My wife and I went to see her at the Garden State
Arts Center, she was alone on the stage and it was her and her guitar, no backup music
no back up singers, and it was the worst show I have ever seen.

No, not why I hated it, for me it was like nails on a blackboard, but to each their own.

Skid Row
Trixter
Lauren Hill (Fugees)
Mary Chapin Carpenter
Stone Temple Pilots (Technically formed in LA but Dean and Robert DeLeo are from NJ)

Reactions: scripts
A lot of you guys are older - but I'll throw in some younger Jersey groups I think most of you will like:

The Gaslight Anthem

Bruce has performed with them in the past

The lead singer does his own solo stuff now as well, Brian Fallon:

Anthony D'Amato

And of course the most underrated, under appreciated band of all time doesn’t even get a mention in a 4 page thread about NJ music !
Let’s just call them the most mismanaged band in history -

From the blue collar town of Garfield,NJ ...

The Rascals

Some of their hits include : Good Lovin, How can I be sure , it’s a beautiful morning , Groovin, I’ve been lonely too long and much much more.
one of the best!

Maybe one member attended later or took time off or was ayyendond grad scjppl. Paper said...Maybe of was 80s fake news.

From Wikipedia

The group was formed in 1969, at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey. The original version of the band broke up after college, with original members Elliot Lurie and Larry Gonsky recruiting two new members to form the classic Looking Glass lineup:[1]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT