ADVERTISEMENT

OT - NO Transit Strike

Reppin_Jerz

Sophomore
Feb 9, 2016
I know a lot of folks on this board, like me, commute from Jersey into Manhattan. I read an article on NJ.com recently that a transit strike was almost a certainty beginning mid March and could last quite some time. Now I just received a text (while traveling) that there may be "...no NJ Transit Rail Service at EWR beginning March 13 in the event of a work stoppage".

Does anyone have any more information on this? Will commuting in and out be a nightmare as everyone will be forced to either drive in or take the park-and-ride? Has anyone thought about any options if its not possible to work from home?

If a stoppage occurs there will be additional buses provided at some of the major hubs, PNC Art Center, Metropark, etc. but this will be in no way enough to cover the 100,000+ passengers that ride the trains daily. Listen for updates, hopefully it gets resolved, but expect a tough commute if the strike occurs.

Reactions: RU22
This happened back in the 80's when I was working in NYC and I used the Giants Stadium (now Met Life) park & ride they set up during the strike.

This happened back in the 80's when I was working in NYC and I used the Giants Stadium (now Met Life) park & ride they set up during the strike.
I'd imagine back in the 80s there were not nearly the number of people commuting from such long distances into Manhattan daily, my commute from Morristown is already two hours door to door...now it gets worse!

I'd imagine back in the 80s there were not nearly the number of people commuting from such long distances into Manhattan daily, my commute from Morristown is already two hours door to door...now it gets worse!

You assume wrong. One guy in my office was coming in from Hackettstown. I doubt the numbers from Morristown have changed at all.

I was involved in the first strike as I worked my way through college as RR Conductor for first Penn Central, then Amtrak and NJ Transit. Got the job through my dad who was a the local Union Chairman for the Centrl RR of NJ (CNJ) conductors. Worked summers, paid union dues throughout the winter so could come back to work next summer with valuble seniority . Strike lasted about a week if I remember correctly , and compromise on both sides brought a settlement. My dad who passed 4 years ago was very involved in the negotiations. It was awesome for a 19 year old college kid to see how hard his father negotiated for his members and how they cheered him at the votes for settlement as he explained the terms.

After graduation NJ Transit asked me to become a financial analyst for them in Newark , and I did, but kept paying Union dues in case I wanted to go back to being a Conductor , which I did, as the financial analyst job for NJ Transit was more boring than I could possibly imagine. Stayed long enough as a Conductor working trains for both NJ Transit and Amtrak (Amtrak used NJ Transit crews between NYC and Wash DC upt to about 1980) long enough to qualify for a RR pension. I sometimes regret leaving.

I predict NO Strike.

I was involved in the first strike as I worked my way through college as RR Conductor for first Penn Central, then Amtrak and NJ Transit. Got the job through my dad who was a the local Union Chairman for the Centrl RR of NJ (CNJ) conductors. Worked summers, paid union dues throughout the winter so could come back to work next summer with valuble seniority . Strike lasted about a week if I remember correctly , and compromise on both sides brought a settlement. My dad who passed 4 years ago was very involved in the negotiations. It was awesome for a 19 year old college kid to see how hard his father negotiated for his members and how they cheered him at the votes for settlement as he explained the terms.

After graduation NJ Transit asked me to become a financial analyst for them in Newark , and I did, but kept paying Union dues in case I wanted to go back to being a Conductor , which I did, as the financial analyst job for NJ Transit was more boring than I could possibly imagine. Stayed long enough as a Conductor working trains for both NJ Transit and Amtrak (Amtrak used NJ Transit crews between NYC and Wash DC upt to about 1980) long enough to qualify for a RR pension. I sometimes regret leaving.

I predict NO Strike.
How long did you work as a conductor and why did you finall leave? Do you think it's unfair for them to strike?

How long did you work as a conductor and why did you finall leave? Do you think it's unfair for them to strike?

I worked from about 1971 to about 1984 with a few years as a financial analyst. I haven't followed the negotiations of this possible stoppage yet so it's hard to comment. I guess as long as they have legal right to go out on strike ,then it's their choice, but the Union will get a LOT Of Bad publicity , which is what management is counting on, to pressure the Union into accepting the terms on first pass of what management is offering. I do not know the details of the terms, and not sure I will have the time to learn it all. The labor climate now is pretty much Anti Union , so I think the Union will bend more than management. The Transportation (Conductors, brakemen, engineers etc) Union usually doesn't have a good PR team, so they will lose most of the public sympathy at first, or at least until they get their side of the story out .

The reason I finally left was I simply became bored with collecting tickets on a train and dealing with packed trains causing grouchy commuters , working late nights and holidays, weekends. Good pay and benefits though. After that I became a stock broker ( see movie Boiler Room for what my life was like then lol) later commodities, then real estate, now Big Pharma ! 3 years to go to full retirement and travel to RU road games !

Anyway I haven't read much of this negotiation, but the thread brought me back to the long time ago strike that my Dad was a figure in, and I was part of the Union that voted to go back to work.

I predict NO Strike.

I hope you're right. Sadly, I feel like if that were to happen it would be at the expense of the union members because I dont think CC+team cares enough to negotiate reasonably.

Last edited:
This is going to make traffic just brutal...

Can they just fire them all and hire all new non-union workers?

from what I had read some days back, the mediation team was on the side of the union and the other side essentially didn't care and said they can't make money out of the air---essentially spinning it that in order to give them the raises/keep healthcare costs down they would have to do another farehike for passengers (which obviously would put more pressure on the union so the commuters don't blast them).

If I read correctly it's not just a strike by the union but a possible lock out by the corp? Either way I'm already preparing my staff for working remotely if possible. Unfortunately in the insurance business we need to be face to face with our brokers.
from what I had read some days back, the mediation team was on the side of the union and the other side essentially didn't care and said they can't make money out of the air---essentially spinning it that in order to give them the raises/keep healthcare costs down they would have to do another farehike for passengers (which obviously would put more pressure on the union so the commuters don't blast them).
?

Leaders have gone to DC to try to get something done. Two independent mediators favored the union saying it was in line with NY metro, but as said, money isn't there, and health care cost is a sticking point.

Hopefully if there is a strike it's only a day or two, but it could be a mess.

This is going to make traffic just brutal...

Can they just fire them all and hire all new non-union workers?

Sounds like a typical response from the "I've got mine" crowd.

I've never been a member of a union but understand all you people wouldn't have the benefits your employers provide if it wasn't for unions. They fought the good fight and everyone benefited. Maybe you'd be happy if NJT hired Pinkertons and union busters to beat strikers. Perhaps shoot a few?

Where is New Jersey's governor?

Oh right, traveling with fascist demagogue after a failed presidential campaign where even after he bowed out, a newspaper revoked its endorsement.

27% approval.
9 credit down grades.
7+ NJ newspapers calling for a recall.
Bottom 10 in job growth.
And a May trial where multiple appointees go on trial for closing down a city for political revenge, where they plan to declare him the orchestrator.

Time to bust the union. They are nothing but trouble.

12750248_1034595076602757_606201822_n.jpg

Reactions: RU-AGK
Where's Ronald Reagan when you need him?
Ronald Reagan is not available. Nor is he needed. Unlike the PATCO firing about which you are reminiscing, this would be a LEGAL strike. In fact, at this point a lockout seems as likely as a strike.

I've never been a member of a union but understand all you people wouldn't have the benefits your employers provide if it wasn't for unions. They fought the good fight and everyone benefited. Maybe you'd be happy if NJT hired Pinkertons and union busters to beat strikers. Perhaps shoot a few?

I know of at least one poster ITT who would support just those measures.

After all, this same poster told me several years ago how he hoped my child possibly going hungry would teach me a lesson about my belief in my PW union after a layoff. That same union fought for me and got me my job back and made sure any interruption in my pay and benefits was made completely whole.

Great insight Abro...

Personally, I'm all for the rail workers striking if need be - they deserve whatever they are asking for IMO, which I believe is nothing more than a contract similar to and in line with contracts that are in place on other regional commuter railroads.

Selfishly though, I hope it doesn't happen - as my Father will be undergoing a major surgery in the city on the 17th - and I have no idea what we'll do if there is a strike...

Where is New Jersey's governor?

Oh right, traveling with fascist demagogue after a failed presidential campaign where even after he bowed out, a newspaper revoked its endorsement.

27% approval.
9 credit down grades.
7+ NJ newspapers calling for a recall.
Bottom 10 in job growth.
And a May trial where multiple appointees go on trial for closing down a city for political revenge, where they plan to declare him the orchestrator.

New Jersey Transit approval isn't great either - aggregate survey results are 6.2/10 and on my rail line, a 5.4 out of 10..

Maybe we can clean out some of the overhead (bad management)?

http://www.njtransit.com/var/var_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=ScoreCardSurveyTo

Reactions: NotInRHouse

You are making assumptions there, all wrong and of course it speaks volumes about you rather than me.

Great insight Abro...

Personally, I'm all for the rail workers striking if need be - they deserve whatever they are asking for IMO, which I believe is nothing more than a contract similar to and in line with contracts that are in place on other regional commuter railroads.

Selfishly though, I hope it doesn't happen - as my Father will be undergoing a major surgery in the city on the 17th - and I have no idea what we'll do if there is a strike...

I hope all turns out well for your father. Always sucks when anyone you love has major surgery.
It may cost you a bit more if there is a strike but you should be able to get in on "your" schedule and park without too much issue. I do understand it sucks though but the real issue is for commuters. We don't have the luxury to drive in on our own schedules or find all day parking near our offices plus we have all already paid for extremely expensive monthly passes. Mine is over $350 per month.
I haven't heard how they may plan on extra busses either. If the strike happens it is going to have a major impact to many of us in our daily lives.

I hope all turns out well for your father. Always sucks when anyone you love has major surgery.
It may cost you a bit more if there is a strike but you should be able to get in on "your" schedule and park without too much issue. I do understand it sucks though but the real issue is for commuters. We don't have the luxury to drive in on our own schedules or find all day parking near our offices plus we have all already paid for extremely expensive monthly passes. Mine is over $350 per month.
I haven't heard how they may plan on extra busses either. If the strike happens it is going to have a major impact to many of us in our daily lives.

Also if it works, expect that monthly pass to go up 60% just like last time this happen.

Hopefully, there can be a real compromise in which they all get a raise but commuters are not getting screwed in the process. If they get what they are asking for which is a better raise than most of us here have ever gotten, that will only led to tax hikes, less people taking trains, and in turn layouts for them.

Last edited:
The reason I finally left was I simply became bored with collecting tickets on a train and dealing with packed trains causing grouchy commuters , working late nights and holidays, weekends. Good pay and benefits though. After that I became a stock broker ( see movie Boiler Room for what my life was like then lol) later commodities, then real estate, now Big Pharma ! 3 years to go to full retirement and travel to RU road games !

Anyway I haven't read much of this negotiation, but the thread brought me back to the long time ago strike that my Dad was a figure in, and I was part of the Union that voted to go back to work.

Abro, interesting perspective and it must have been great collecting a nice check while still in college! Good for you! But the problem is that collecting tickets is a low skill job ("boring" as you accurately described it) and the compensation is out of whack. The unions have done a great job over the years using the leverage that rail stoppages cause massive problems for thousands of people and impacts the economy. Generally, you have to know someone (in your case, your father) in order to get hired originally. Add in some of the disability scandals (LIRR) and the commuting public is not real sympathetic. To fund raises, either the tickets have to increase or the government subsidy has to increase (higher taxes). No other magical way to fund them.

Last edited:
I predict the soft strike for next weekend and the Monday am commute. Then they will strike the following week.

I predict the strike won't last more than a few days.

The issue is the state has been asking NJ Transit to run a balanced budget which has caused service to become worse and fares to go up. The state needs to subsidize NJ transit the way NY does for LIRR and MTA.

Leaders have gone to DC to try to get something done. Two independent mediators favored the union saying it was in line with NY metro, but as said, money isn't there, and health care cost is a sticking point.

Hopefully if there is a strike it's only a day or two, but it could be a mess.

Great. Metro North is a travesty and driving the system towards the public equivalent of bankruptcy. Drop your pants and bend over commuters and taxpayers

I predict NO Strike.

Abro - The strike I was talking about was in the spring of 1983, NJ Transit. I was taking the Bergen County Line at the time. It lasted, as I remember, a couple of weeks.

I predict the soft strike for next weekend and the Monday am commute. Then they will strike the following week.

I predict the strike won't last more than a few days.

The issue is the state has been asking NJ Transit to run a balanced budget which has caused service to become worse and fares to go up. The state needs to subsidize NJ transit the way NY does for LIRR and MTA.
Can passenger service ever run as a zero sum game or for a profit? There's no freight to offset costs and that's how books were balanced in the past.

Pulled this off of the NJ Transit website

Fares and Ticket Types
All existing NJ TRANSIT tickets to/from New York will be honored by NJ TRANSIT and private bus carriers, PATH, some ferry services and from the following five (5) Park-Ride locations: Meadowlands, Ramsey/Route 17, Metropark, Hamilton and PNC Arts Center. This service will operate 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday only. Roundtrip tickets must be purchased during the morning hours only.

Meadowlands and PNC Arts Center buses will go directly into Port Authority
Metro Park will go to th ePATH station in Harrison
Hamilton will go to the PATH station in Newark
Ramsey/Route 17 will go to Weehawken Ferry Terminal

**All tickets are existing prices from these rail stations to New York except at PNC Arts Center, which is the existing Academy rate into New York.

Cross-Honoring
NJ TRANSIT rail tickets and passes will be cross-honored on all NJ TRANSIT bus and light rail lines, private carrier buses, PATH trains and NY Waterway’s Weehawken, Hoboken and North Hoboken, as well as Seastreak ferry services into Manhattan.

Unions are such scum. Pretend to care about the employees while taxing them with dues. They are like termites, bankrupting any entity that they Unionize. They don't actually care about the employees. They care about collecting dues.

Fire them all and hire non-Union workers. I would guarantee the customer service would improve and I wouldn't have asshole conductors barking at me for falling asleep on the train after a 13 hour day.

Can passenger service ever run as a zero sum game or for a profit? There's no freight to offset costs and that's how books were balanced in the past.

Depends. If you run it as a commuter service during rush hour it may break even. Question there is whether the operating profits can cover the capital expenditures necessary to keep the tracks and tunnels operational. But you can't provide service between, say, 10AM and 4PM and after 9PM and not lose your shirt. Question is whether the state should subsidize off-peak service.

Are railroad conductors outdated like the toll collectors? Isn't there a better way?

Hardly. The conductor is responsible for making sure the train gets from Point A to Point B, making all stops; he's basically the guy in charge (moreso than the brakeman).

If a turnstile system was installed (with swiping on both ends of your ride) then you could possibly cut back on brakeman positions on trains.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT