ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Mets Season

And no one is saying Reyes is the biggest issue. It's a simple fix to cut him for minimal dollars and yet because of crappy ownership and bad front office management we refuse to do so. It gets more complicated with cespedes and Bruce. Every roster spot is valuable and should be upgraded if you have dead weight on the team.
Can I like this post 100x ?

Reyes needs to be cut immediately and Rosario sent down to the minors to get his confidence back. We may not have anyone else to play short but we don’t have anyone there now so what’s the difference.

Flexen is horrible. At least you only to worry about him every fifth day until Thor returns. Reyes somehow plays almost everyday. What more does McNeil have to do to get called up? Certainly can’t be worse then Jose

Flexen is horrible. At least you only to worry about him every fifth day until Thor returns. Reyes somehow plays almost everyday. What more does McNeil have to do to get called up? Certainly can’t be worse then Jose
Be shocked if Flexen isn't sent back down today. McNeil will be brought up when Cabrera is moved, as he inevitably will be.

Going to the doubleheader today. At one point I could have seen two out of Thor, Harvey, and Jake. Now it’s Wheeler and Oswalt. At least Wheeler pitches game one so I don’t have to stay past the third inning when Oswalt usually melts down. Will be a beautiful day and a Fathers Day present from the best daughter in the world. Much like rooting for RU I may get down on the team but will never give up!

Last edited:
Here's a game. You are the GM. Pick one:
Matt Harvey, Flexen or Vargas.

I'm taking Harvey.
Game is not fair. Are you asking what Harvey is doing now OUTSIDE of NY or what he did this year for the Mets?

Here's a game. You are the GM. Pick one:
Matt Harvey, Flexen or Vargas.

I'm taking Harvey.
I don't like your rules. I am changing them. You are the GM. It is May 5, 2018. Harvey has been ineffective for over a year, and you are losing him at the end of the year anyway. Vargas has just come off an injury and has been ineffective for a few weeks. You are contractually committed to him for next year. Flexen is a highly rated prospect who was brought up last year before he was ready, and was ineffective.

When we insert this element of reality, does it change your answer?

BTW - even under your rules, I'm STILL taking Flexen.

Instead of debating the facts I laid out as to why Reyes should be cut, you say I have a “hard-on for him”? Why do you love him? His batting title? W
Where did a ever say Reyes is the only problem or even biggest problem for that matter? Ces. And Bruce are hurt and have huge contracts. No GM is cutting them or getting anything for them in a trade, plain and simple. As of now, Reyes is an easier fix, so many complain about a youth movement. You keep saying Mets will wait until end of year. Ask most Met fans, would they rather see Reyes everyday,who is a shell of who he was during his batting title, or see one of the youngsters get a shot?
Stop saying things like “I think it is a requirement” that he is a mentor. It certainly would help his cause if he was a better one. If Reyes was playing anywhere near what he played in the past then it is a whole lot easier to keep him. Right now (and for the entire season) he has brought nothing.
Any good GM knows (yes we can agree Mets don’t have one) you need to fix ALL problem you have not just wait until the bigger ones are solved. Bruce and Ces. Should not be tied to what needs to be done with Reyes
I don't love him. I respect what he did for the Mets years ago. Does he belong on the team now? No, but every time someone has something to say about the Mets you bring the debate back to Reyes. We can be talking about the moon, but somehow you throw Reyes name in there. Cutting Reyes doesn't change the fact the Mets suck right now. Players like Cespedes and Bruce have a bigger impact on this team, and right now they suck. Cosmetic fixes don't solve the problem. If you can fix those more prominent issues, then the smaller problems are easier to correct.
Instead of debating the facts I laid out as to why Reyes should be cut, you say I have a “hard-on for him”? Why do you love him? His batting title? Why are you blindly looking past Reyes’ negative influence on Rosario? Many older players saved their jobs, as their skills decline, if they at least have a positive influence in the clubhouse and help mentor. Reyes is batting .180 and showing Rosario exactly what not to do!
Where did a ever say Reyes is the only problem or even biggest problem for that matter? Ces. And Bruce are hurt and have huge contracts. No GM is cutting them or getting anything for them in a trade, plain and simple. As of now Reyes is an easier fix, so many complain about a youth movement. You keep saying Mets will wait until end of year. Ask most Met fans, would they rather see Reyes everyday,who is a shell of who he was during his batting title, or see one of the youngsters get a shot?
Stop saying things like “I think it is a requirement” that he is a mentor. It certainly would help his cause if he was a better one. If Reyes was playing anywhere near what he played in the past then it is a whole lot easier to keep him. Right now (and for the entire season) he has brought nothing.
Any good GM knows (yes we can agree Mets don’t have one) you need to fix ALL problem you have not just wait until the bigger ones are solved. Bruce and Ces. Should not be tied to what needs to be done with Reyes
I don't love him. I respect what he did for the Mets years ago. Does he belong on the team now? No, but every time someone has something to say about the Mets you bring the debate back to Reyes. We can be talking about the moon, but somehow you throw Reyes name in there. Cutting Reyes doesn't change the fact the Mets suck right now. Players like Cespedes and Bruce have a bigger impact on this team, and right now they suck. Cosmetic fixes don't solve the problem. If you can fix the more prominent issues, then the smaller problems are easier to correct.

Btw, I never said the Mets should wait until the end of the year. You're so blinded by rage to beat me in a debate, you are confusing my statements just to get your point across. Next question for you. Have you ever played sports at a high level? If so, you know first hand being a mentor is not part of the job description. Being a mentor is a courtesy and it always depends on the situation. During my senior season at Rutgers, I did mentor my backup Mark Washington. I was established and felt no threat from him. Now, during my freshman season at Colorado, I was battling three juniors for the safety spot. All three guys were nice as you can be to me, but the didn't go out of their way to help because I was a threat to their playing time. You have to put things in proper context to understand each situation is different. Reyes doesn't own Rosario anything. Rosario's ability got him the to the big leagues and it's on Rosario to stay. If you're going to blame someone, then blame David Wright for not being around his teammates.[eyeroll][winking]

This debate is official over. Let's move on to something else.[laughing]

Reactions: rubaseball78
Stop... Almost everyone wanted Harvey gone when he was still in NY. Now everyone wants the Cincy Harvey to come back.
It seems like Mets management is the problem. Cincy ease into things with Harvey. Meanwhile, the Mets wanted instant results from a guy coming off two major surgeries over the last four seasons. Mets' medical staff has shown over the years to be incompetent. As much as I loved Harvey being a bulldog in 2015 during the playoffs, the trainers should have put their foot down to prevent him from hurting himself even more. I remember Nats doing it to their ace Strasburg because they were more concerned with long-term health which would benefit the Nats.

The only problem that matters for the Mets now is the numbnut's owners impending decision to extend this problem years into the future by selecting the next GM from among the three flunkies, Ricco, Ricciardi and Minaya. Of course, the Mets will have to fight off a throng of exactly zero other teams for their services, but I think Jeff Wilpon can do that. He'll then somehow alienate the new AAA team in Buffalo, and our next AAA team will be in Alaska.

Reactions: megadrone
I don't love him. I respect what he did for the Mets years ago. Does he belong on the team now? No, but every time someone has something to say about the Mets you bring the debate back to Reyes. We can be talking about the moon, but somehow you throw Reyes name in there. Cutting Reyes doesn't change the fact the Mets suck right now. Players like Cespedes and Bruce have a bigger impact on this team, and right now they suck. Cosmetic fixes don't solve the problem. If you can fix those more prominent issues, then the smaller problems are easier to correct.

I don't love him. I respect what he did for the Mets years ago. Does he belong on the team now? No, but every time someone has something to say about the Mets you bring the debate back to Reyes. We can be talking about the moon, but somehow you throw Reyes name in there. Cutting Reyes doesn't change the fact the Mets suck right now. Players like Cespedes and Bruce have a bigger impact on this team, and right now they suck. Cosmetic fixes don't solve the problem. If you can fix the more prominent issues, then the smaller problems are easier to correct.

Btw, I never said the Mets should wait until the end of the year. You're so blinded by rage to beat me in a debate, you are confusing my statements just to get your point across. Next question for you. Have you ever played sports at a high level? If so, you know first hand being a mentor is not part of the job description. Being a mentor is a courtesy and it always depends on the situation. During my senior season at Rutgers, I did mentor my backup Mark Washington. I was established and felt no threat from him. Now, during my freshman season at Colorado, I was battling three juniors for the safety spot. All three guys were nice as you can be to me, but the didn't go out of their way to help because I was a threat to their playing time. You have to put things in proper context to understand each situation is different. Reyes doesn't own Rosario anything. Rosario's ability got him the to the big leagues and it's on Rosario to stay. If you're going to blame someone, then blame David Wright for not being around his teammates.[eyeroll][winking]

This debate is official over. Let's move on to something else.[laughing]
Blinded by rage? Get over yourself. Try reading all my posts. Everyposts I write about Reyes? Try again my main complaint with one of your posts was saying Mets will wait until end of the year because he won A batting title in the past. Now we can agree to move on

Blinded by rage? Get over yourself. Try reading all my posts. Everyposts I write about Reyes? Try again my main complaint with one of your posts was saying Mets will wait until end of the year because he won A batting title in the past. Now we can agree to move on
The Mets should wait to the end of the year for some of the significant moves such as the pitchers and dumping some of the big salaries. You can't do as much because time constraints of the trade deadline prevent the Mets from getting fair market value for any moves.

It does seem like every reply to my posts was about Reyes because you intended to win every debate. This is a forum and people have different opinions, so be it. Don't hold on so tight to everything mentioned on the board.

So, now this is over what's your thoughts on the Yankees?[roll]

The Mets should wait to the end of the year for some of the significant moves such as the pitchers and dumping some of the big salaries. You can't do as much because time constraints of the trade deadline prevent the Mets from getting fair market value for any moves.

It does seem like every reply to my posts was about Reyes because you intended to win every debate. This is a forum and people have different opinions, so be it. Don't hold on so tight to everything mentioned on the board.

Let them have Reyes for Judge[cheers]

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Our moves for the doubleheader today. Why not call up McNeil and move AsCab to 3rd or just have him play 3B!!!!

—Todd Frazier to DL, Ty Kelly with Mets
—Flexen optioned, Conlon called up
—Rhame is 26th man
—Drew Gagnon will start for Mets tomorrow

Our moves for the doubleheader today. Why not call up McNeil and move AsCab to 3rd or just have him play 3B!!!!

—Todd Frazier to DL, Ty Kelly with Mets
—Flexen optioned, Conlon called up
—Rhame is 26th man
—Drew Gagnon will start for Mets tomorrow
https://metsmerizedonline.com/2018/...rt-tuesday-rhame-named-mondays-26th-man.html/

Gagnon, 28, will be making his Major League debut after spending the past seven and a half seasons in the minor leagues.

With Triple-A Las Vegas this year, the California native is 1-4 with a 4.67 ERA across 17 appearances.

The Mets have also called-up Jacob Rhame to act as the 26th man for their doubleheader against the Phillies this evening.

Rhame, 25, has been on the taxi squad from Vegas to New York this season, accumulating an 0-1 record with a 6.75 ERA in his time with the big club.

failure-failure-everywhere.jpg

This speaks volumes about Sandy and the organizations minor league system.

Gagnon's Mets name is GagME.

Reactions: rurichdog

We would be challenging the Phillies and Braves today if Reyes wasn't on the team.

https://metsmerizedonline.com/2018/...rt-tuesday-rhame-named-mondays-26th-man.html/

Gagnon, 28, will be making his Major League debut after spending the past seven and a half seasons in the minor leagues.

With Triple-A Las Vegas this year, the California native is 1-4 with a 4.67 ERA across 17 appearances.

The Mets have also called-up Jacob Rhame to act as the 26th man for their doubleheader against the Phillies this evening.

Rhame, 25, has been on the taxi squad from Vegas to New York this season, accumulating an 0-1 record with a 6.75 ERA in his time with the big club.

failure-failure-everywhere.jpg

This speaks volumes about Sandy and the organizations minor league system.

Gagnon's Mets name is GagME.

So Flexen and his 12+ ERA is replaced by Conlon and his 12+ ERA? Are we just really really trying hard to exhaust everyone's options this year?

So Flexen and his 12+ ERA is replaced by Conlon and his 12+ ERA? Are we just really really trying hard to exhaust everyone's options this year?

Options are yearly. You can get sent up and down multiple times a year and it's only one option.

DeGrom is a great pitcher but I really think you're overstating what they could fetch for him in a trade. 4-5 HIGH level prospects? Like top 20 from an organization? Come on man. Remember what Seaver brought back in return?
Yanks gave the A's Dustin Fowler (.260/.294/.413 in 48 games with the A's this year), Jorge Mateo (.224/.274/.350 at Nashville AAA) and James Kaprielian (recovering from Tommy John, but the A's hope to have him for a Sept call up) for Sonny Gray at the deadline last year. So a better package I think would be reasonable. Definitely not a team's top five prospects- that's a pipe dream; but if Mets management wanted to make their team better and set realistic expectations, they could move the needle a lot by trading DeGrom. Just my opinion, they'll sit on their hands anyway. They always do.

I am happy to say that this will not be a concern. The Mets OWN the new AAA team, so it doesn't matter who they piss of. BTW it is in Syracuse, not Buffalo.
Yes, I knew the Mets bought it. But I'm confident that the Mets will find a way to screw up the Syracuse (Buffalo, what's the difference?) situation. Not that Fred Wilpon was a genius, but whatever he was, Jeff Wilpon is an apple that fell well far from the tree. A complete buffoon.

I dont have a hard on for Reyes but it's a shame that he has had more chances to start than Wilmer Flores, who just hit another walk off to beat the Phillies in the first game of their DH. He's one of those Daniel Murphy, Justin Turner, Kevin Mitchell, Melvin Mora type players who they shouldve just let them play one position and let them rip. But what do I know?

Flores wants to play, and it shows.

The simple way of looking at it (the way I look at it) is you keep the guys who want to play.

Flores. Nimmo. Mesoraco. Cabrera. Conforto. Frazier, maybe. The rest are expendable.

The simple way of looking at it (the way I look at it) is you keep the guys who want to play.

Flores. Nimmo. Mesoraco. Cabrera. Conforto. Frazier, maybe. The rest are expendable.

Asdrubal, Frazier, and Mes should all be dealt before deadline if someone wants them.

Like Oswalt was actually going to pitch well at any time? He gave up a 3 run double to the pitcher, FFS.
Compared to those other three options I’ll take Oswalt any day. Walks hurt him but he is getting stronger every start. Put it this way. Flexen gives up three before getting out of inning 1. Oswalt just went 6. One bad pitch ( ok more if you include the walks). Except for one inning he also worked out of trouble

Could've just put him in the bullpen and let a proven starter like Seth Lugo into the rotation.

I do not follow this at all. Are you suggesting that, say, Kevin Plawecki does not want to play?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT