ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Rangers 2023-2024 Thread

Obviously I am disappointed the Rangers lost, and once again could not get a Cup.

However, I still got a ton of enjoyment out of this season with the incremental successes they did have.

I am thankful my existence isn’t as pathetic as fans of certain other teams, who appear to get more satisfaction from the schadenfreude of the Rangers losing than from anything positive their own team does.

Last edited:
What are we seeing year after year in the playoffs and seemingly more and more. Bigger heavier teams with good goaltendinf are winning.

- Jack Hughes is too small to even stay healthy for 2 round.
- Nico super soft
- Bratt, extremely small
- Mercer, extremely small
- Luke: can barely stay on his feet, granted he’ll get stronger

Mcleod is honestly the one who can be a june type player but who knows what happens there. Timo and palat are bigger but palat is aging not all that well and timo is just a non factor in a playoff setting.

neverMind the devs not having a goalie. Fitz went alllll in on small finesse in a sport where big and heavy wins
The chances of any of that group of that Canada WJC players who were arrested playing again in the NHL are slim. If you read the account of what allegedly happened, the chances of McLeod playing again in North America are virtually nil.

Nah rangers are built for sustainable success. Theyre gonna be extremely active in the 2025 UFA class.

Laff is a budding superstar at forward, fox is a norris trophy dman, igor is a vezina caliber goalie and the best in the world.

Igor is 28
Fox is 26
Laff is 22

Then you have

- kandre and schneider on the back end, top 4 dmen with size who are ages 24 and 22.

- Will Cuylle who at 22 is a total stud

- Rempe and Edstrom who are trees that will be 4th line players. Ages 21 and 23.

- Zac Jones should be a solid bottom pair offensive minded PMD. Age 23

- coming up probably 2025-2026 season, brett berard, brennan othmann and gabe perreault, all very good prospects.

- and likely will trade trouba, kreider, goodrow, kakko, lindgren by the time the 2025-2026 season rolls around and will be very active July 2025. Will be taking a big run at Draisaitl whos wife (actress) wants to be in a big market.

Rangers are extremely well set up. You could see them open up 2025-2026 looking like

Laff-Draisaitl-Perrault
Panarin-Trocheck-Boeser
Cuylle-Mika-Berard
Othmann-Rempe-Edstrom

Kandre-Fox
Theodore-Schneider
Jones-UFA vet 6D near league min.

Igor
Garand

And yes, assuming cap that season is about $92.5, thag is cap compliant
The “tell” for the Rangers’ future will be what they do with Lindgren. If they give him a big, long term deal ignoring that oft-injured defensemen playing his style don’t age well, because he is a “warrior”, and “Fox is so comfortable with him”, they haven’t learned anything since they signed Girardi to a big deal and let Stralman go

Broke the devils franchise??? lol. Again…devils are among the top 2 fastest growing NHL franchises (behind Florida) and in top 5 net worth increase this year, franchise totally ain’t broken
How does this have anything to do with their roster construction?

And yeah, you usually sell more tix when you make the playoffs than you do when you have a bottom 5 win percentage for a decade. Shocking, I know.

The “tell” for the Rangers’ future will be what they do with Lindgren. If they give him a big, long term deal ignoring that oft-injured defensemen playing his style don’t age well, because he is a “warrior”, and “Fox is so comfortable with him”, they haven’t learned anything since they signed Girardi to a big deal and let Stralman go
If lindgren would take $2mm to play bottom pair id be cool with it. If he wants more, I’d let him go and sign a 1 year stop gap then sign shea theodore next summer.

Obviously I am disappointed the Rangers lost, and once again could not get a Cup.

However, I still got a ton of enjoyment out of this season with the incremental successes they did have.

I am thankful my existence isn’t as pathetic as fans of certain other teams, who appear to get more satisfaction from the schadenfreude of the Rangers losing than from anything positive their own team does.
Just returning the favor after last seasons playoffs and the resident trolls piled on the devils . It’s a 2 way street . Good luck next year

And yet, the same number of championships as the Rangers over that period. Pretty interesting huh?
The devils have been non competitive and unwatchable for the majority of it. Theyve made the playoffs twice in 12 years. While the rangers havent won it all, they have made 5 eastern conference finals in 12 years. Theyve iced a competitive team, just not one capable of getting over the hump yet. The 2015 team had it, some untimely injuries to the best players derailed it.

And yes, I prefer to make 5 eastern conference finals on 12 years than to be one of the worst franchises in the sport. If that makes me a loser then so be it

How does this have anything to do with their roster construction?

And yeah, you usually sell more tix when you make the playoffs than you do when you have a bottom 5 win percentage for a decade. Shocking, I know.

Has nothing to do with roster construction. What did you mean by killed the devils franchise?

Reactions: Devilsfan118

You got a douchebag trolling the Devils fans here and in their own threads, what did you expect?

Reactions: martingum1986
Has nothing to do with roster construction. What did you mean by killed the devils franchise?
Fitz looked in the mirror and said well damn, this isnt going as planned, maybe loading up on 160 pound guys wont work.

Peep the NHL standings from 2/22/2024 when the rangers mauled the devils to where the standings finished.

the rangers forced the devils to sign kurtis macdermid to a 3 year deal lol

Fitz looked in the mirror and said well damn, this isnt going as planned, maybe loading up on 160 pound guys wont work.

Peep the NHL standings from 2/22/2024 when the rangers mauled the devils to where the standings finished.

the rangers forced the devils to sign kurtis macdermid to a 3 year deal lol

You’re all over the map now with your arguments. You were saying all last night that devils are small and not tough, need toughness..etc. now you’re laughing cause they have one of the toughest guys in the league locked up??? Make it make sense…

I think the Devils are in pretty good shape, but they do have similar concerns to this Rangers' roster. Lots of talent, but will need to add some gritty (and bigger) players with talent for the 4 round grind. It's not meant to be a knock on the Devils. Looking at Florida there is a lot; talent, size and determination. It's a hard combination to find. Think of the movie Miracle when Herb Brooks says: "I'm not looking for the BEST players, I'm looking for the RIGHT plauers."

Plenty of roster moves the Rangers need to make; very doubtful they'll be able to do it (NMCs).

I think we all know they need to add grit.

Florida was the better team. The Rangers are much improved versus when they were rag-dolled by Tom Wilson, but they are still not tough enough for the NHL playoff grind. They are close. They have the goalie which is the biggest piece of the puzzle. Gotta make a few moves to get bigger and tougher.

1994 wouldn't have happened if they stuck with Amonte and Gartner. Need an extra grinder or two.

You’re all over the map now with your arguments. You were saying all last night that devils are small and not tough, need toughness..etc. now you’re laughing cause they have one of the toughest guys in the league locked up??? Make it make sense…
All over the map how? Reading comprehension isnt a strong suit of yours so let me copy and paste what I said last night below

Who were floridas horses? And tell me how big they were.

Barkov
Bennett
Tkachuk
Verhaeghe
Reinhart

Who are the devs horses? And tell me how big they are.

Jack
Nico
Bratt
Mercer
Timo

Signing one talentless 30 year old goon to play 40 games and then be scratched all playoffs doesnt make your plethora of 160 pounders get inside where it matters in the playoffs.

You got a douchebag trolling the Devils fans here and in their own threads, what did you expect?
I wouldn’t know, because I have only jumped into the Devils thread from time to time when there is something substantive to talk about.

Florida was the better team. The Rangers are much improved versus when they were rag-dolled by Tom Wilson, but they are still not tough enough for the NHL playoff grind. They are close. They have the goalie which is the biggest piece of the puzzle. Gotta make a few moves to get bigger and tougher.

1994 wouldn't have happened if they stuck with Amonte and Gartner. Need an extra grinder or two.
Its not even about being tough, from a fists perspective, its about getting to the dirty areas and getting to the slot and not being afraid of contact.

Kreider for whatever reason pulls up every time he has a player lined up for a kill shot or even just a hard forecheck to cause a turnover. Mika is afraid to get touched, panarin avoids contact. Id be curious to see if we go after cirelli whos getting moved

All over the map how? Reading comprehension isnt a strong suit of yours so let me copy and paste what I said last night below

Who were floridas horses? And tell me how big they were.

Barkov
Bennett
Tkachuk
Verhaeghe
Reinhart

Who are the devs horses? And tell me how big they are.

Jack
Nico
Bratt
Mercer
Timo

Signing one talentless 30 year old goon to play 40 games and then be scratched all playoffs doesnt make your plethora of 160 pounders get inside where it matters in the playoffs.

I mean…you’re just looking like a fool now. 160 pounders???? Impossible to have an intelligent conversation about hockey with you.

I mean…you’re just looking like a fool now. 160 pounders???? Impossible to have an intelligent conversation about hockey with you.
What do you think your franchise player, bratt nico and mercer weigh?

Ill save it for you.

Jack is around 160 and is 5’10.

Bratt is even smaller than jack. Bratt is about 5’9 and around 160

Nico is closer to 170 but rail thin for a dude who is about 6 foot

Mercer is around 165-170.

But anyone, youre deflecting now because you know exactly what I meant and you have no rebuttal to floridas horses vs the devs horses. Oil and vinegar

l
Its not even about being tough, from a fists perspective, its about getting to the dirty areas and getting to the slot and not being afraid of contact.

Kreider for whatever reason pulls up every time he has a player lined up for a kill shot or even just a hard forecheck to cause a turnover. Mika is afraid to get touched, panarin avoids contact. Id be curious to see if we go after cirelli whos getting moved
It would totally like the Rangers to give up assets to get a highly paid Cirelli, after we took Howden instead of him in the McDonough trade.

What do you think your franchise player, bratt nico and mercer weigh?

Ill save it for you.

Jack is around 160 and is 5’10.

Bratt is even smaller than jack. Bratt is about 5’9 and around 160

Nico is closer to 170 but rail thin for a dude who is about 6 foot

Mercer is around 165-170.

But anyone, youre deflecting now because you know exactly what I meant and you have no rebuttal to floridas horses vs the devs horses. Oil and vinegar

I’ve been agreeing with you. Florida’s horses are bigger and stronger. Don’t know how many times I have to say this.

Devils have the ability to surround their horses with larger more physical guys that can help them. And by the way..all the talk about how much bigger the panthers are and his you need size in the playoffs..Devils average weight this year is about 10 pounds heavier than Florida.

Again, devils are set up great for the future

Reactions: goru1869
The devils have been non competitive and unwatchable for the majority of it. Theyve made the playoffs twice in 12 years. While the rangers havent won it all, they have made 5 eastern conference finals in 12 years. Theyve iced a competitive team, just not one capable of getting over the hump yet. The 2015 team had it, some untimely injuries to the best players derailed it.

And yes, I prefer to make 5 eastern conference finals on 12 years than to be one of the worst franchises in the sport. If that makes me a loser then so be it
download-1-jpeg.878627

Reactions: vic_torre42
So, I don't watch any regular season hockey, but in an earlier life I was a hockey addict (playing and a big fan until college), so I know the game reasonably well. How did the Rangers do so well in the regular season and then be so utterly dominated (especially physically) by a Florida team with similar regular season success? While this series went 6 games, Florida was clearly the better team and if not for Igor, this series wouldn't have even been close.
Ranger's have all season long(multiple seasons actually) been a team that leaned on special teams and their goalie. Not a good 5v5 team.

Florida was the #2 team in the league in terms of shot attempts this season 5v5, the #3 team in terms of goals for %.

Rag's did get a very good goalie performance from Igor vs the Panthers, but unlike the Carolina series, their opponent's goalie played very well as well. Rag's PP just never got going this series, and that is really the ball game. If, like vs Carolina, the Panthers goalie was soft, and maybe the Rag's netted a goal here and there on the PP or 5v5, this could have swung the other way, like the Carolina series did, but alas, that did not happen.

Reactions: RU848789 and CHOPU
l

It would totally like the Rangers to give up assets to get a highly paid Cirelli, after we took Howden instead of him in the McDonough trade.
Wont need to give up valuable assets. Tampa is cap dumping cirelli this offseason. They need to create cap space check out their cap situation. Abysmal.

I’ve been agreeing with you. Florida’s horses are bigger and stronger. Don’t know how many times I have to say this.

Devils have the ability to surround their horses with larger more physical guys that can help them. And by the way..all the talk about how much bigger the panthers are and his you need size in the playoffs..Devils average weight this year is about 10 pounds heavier than Florida.

Again, devils are set up great for the future
Haha now go back and look at the size of your top players who actually score vs theirs and get back to me.

Name me the big physical bruisers you will put in your top 6 to compete with a florida or heck even the rangers.

You mean just like the Rangers did with Reeves?

You mean just like the Rangers are going to do with Rempe?

Try again without being a hypocrite.
Rempe can at least play a little and is 21 years old and still learning/growing. Macdermid isnt an nhl caliber player. Macdermids teams have made deeeeeep playoff runs, of which hes played in… zero games.

Rempe is a 4th line nhl player who will get better. Macdermid is a talentless goon whos only reason he even got another contract is because, well, the rangers. He should donate some of his salary to Matt Rempe

Haha now go back and look at the size of your top players who actually score vs theirs and get back to me.

Name me the big physical bruisers you will put in your top 6 to compete with a florida or heck even the rangers.

You’re missing a very important aspect to win the playoffs..depth. Need that depth scoring. It’s not just about the stars and the top 6..especially in the playoffs.

I mean devils beat rangers last year in the playoffs with a top 6 very similar to what the have now..so I don’t think that’s an issue

Rempe can at least play a little and is 21 years old and still learning/growing. Macdermid isnt an nhl caliber player. Macdermids teams have made deeeeeep playoff runs, of which hes played in… zero games.

Rempe is a 4th line nhl player who will get better. Macdermid is a talentless goon whos only reason he even got another contract is because, well, the rangers. He should donate some of his salary to Matt Rempe

MacDermid is an awesome locker room guy, teammates love him. I’d say that’s a main reason he got resigned

Absolutely, not about goons or fighting. It's about forechecking, grinding, and doing the dirty work in a 7-game series that wears the other team down. We are very close. Just need a little bit more of this.

Panarin is talented enough that it doesn't matter if he is physical. I think Mika may be the odd player out.

Absolutely, not about goons or fighting. It's about forechecking, grinding, and doing the dirty work in a 7-game series that wears the other team down. We are very close. Just need a little bit more of this.

Panarin is talented enough that it doesn't matter if he is physical. I think Mika may be the odd player out.
Rag's can't get rid of Zib's, they'd have zero center depth.

Would be very surprised is someone takes on Mika’s contract.

Would be very surprised is someone takes on Mika’s contract.
Probably right, not that he is overpaid now, moreso that he will be in a few years, but he is a good player, and center. Rag's can't trade him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT