ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Rangers 2023-2024 Thread

You’re missing a very important aspect to win the playoffs..depth. Need that depth scoring. It’s not just about the stars and the top 6..especially in the playoffs.

I mean devils beat rangers last year in the playoffs with a top 6 very similar to what the have now..so I don’t think that’s an issue
Haha I wouldnt point to your April 2023 cup as a measure of success. The rangers quite literally werent coached. Larry Brooks pulled no punches and mentioned it again today in his column.

If rangers had lavi last year they wouldve cruised through the devs, beat carolina and likely lost to the panthers in ECF

MacDermid is an awesome locker room guy, teammates love him. I’d say that’s a main reason he got resigned
As a Devils fan, I have to admit Rempe is the main reason MacDermid was signed.

Very much dislike that I believe this to be true.

MacDermid is an awesome locker room guy, teammates love him. I’d say that’s a main reason he got resigned
Rightttt, has nothing to do with matt rempe LOL. You can admit the only reason macdermid got signed/even traded for was rempe, it’s okay

Haha I wouldnt point to your April 2023 cup as a measure of success. The rangers quite literally werent coaches. Larry Brooks pulled no punches and mentioned it again today in his column.

If rangers had lavi last year they wouldve cruised through the devs, beat carolina and likely lost to the panthers in ECF

And if the devils had a competent goalie this year, our first pair d pairing wasn’t out hurt, etc..we could have cruised this year too…see how that works?

You’re proving my point, too..that it’s much more than just the size of your top 6 that is key in the playoffs

Rightttt, has nothing to do with matt rempe LOL. You can admit the only reason macdermid got signed/even traded for was rempe, it’s okay

Never said it had nothing to do. Yea, I’d admit we got him for Rempe. All indications are he was resigned cause he was universally loved by the players.

Did Mika even play against Florida? Didn't notice him.
Zero points 5v5 vs Florida. Really had a poor showing overall in these playoffs 5v5, few points, very few shots.

But the PP points dried up as well. Did get sog's though. To me this points to how the Rag's can feast on poor goalies, but then struggle against better ones.

Still after Zib's you have Trocheck, who is just not a top line center, and Chytil, a guy who missed most of the season with concussion's and is more a good 3rd line center then a top 6 guy.

Zib's may not be a good playoff performer but Rag's prob miss the playoffs without him.

Florida was the better team. The Rangers are much improved versus when they were rag-dolled by Tom Wilson, but they are still not tough enough for the NHL playoff grind. They are close. They have the goalie which is the biggest piece of the puzzle. Gotta make a few moves to get bigger and tougher.

1994 wouldn't have happened if they stuck with Amonte and Gartner. Need an extra grinder or two.
Correct.
Rangers don’t lack individual toughness and character, it’s why inserting a Reeves or Rempe doesn’t change anything.
What they lack is undefinable and bordering on intangible.
They lack collective toughness and have for 60 years outside of 1994.
Just look at the way Tarasenko and Mikolla bullied us… both guys fell victim to the Ranger curse last year.
How did Bobby Holik go from one of the most miserable players in the league to play against with the Devils to a waste for us?
We’re cursed.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Zero points 5v5 vs Florida. Really had a poor showing overall in these playoffs 5v5, few points, very few shots.

But the PP points dried up as well. Did get sog's though. To me this points to how the Rag's can feast on poor goalies, but then struggle against better ones.

Still after Zib's you have Trocheck, who is just not a top line center, and Chytil, a guy who missed most of the season with concussion's and is more a good 3rd line center then a top 6 guy.

Zib's may not be a good playoff performer but Rag's prob miss the playoffs without him.
So, without Mika, they would have went from President's Cup to 17th or worse team? Give that man the Hart Trophy! :)

I watched Robinson, Langway, Savard, Chartraw and LaPoint bully us all over the Montreal forum in 1979, i watched Gillies, Nystrom and Tonelli bully us all over the Nassau Colosseum, I watched The Kings bully us all over the ice.
Some things never change

Last edited:
Panthers are just a HARD team. Tough, disciplined, all on the same page, plus skilled. Kudos to Maurice & that whole team.

Panthers are just a HARD team. Tough, disciplined, all on the same page, plus skilled. Kudos to Maurice & that whole team.
And playoff experienced. Getting to the finals last year was a big plus for this year.

And if the devils had a competent goalie this year, our first pair d pairing wasn’t out hurt, etc..we could have cruised this year too…see how that works?

You’re proving my point, too..that it’s much more than just the size of your top 6 that is key in the playoffs
Your top 6’s ability to get to the dirty areas, get inside, get to the slot, win puck battles on the boards and pin teams down is the most important part. Those things arent done with little guys.

Igor is the best goalie in the world, not even he could cover up the rangers lack of grit to get into the dirty areas and battle. And the rangers have 10X more grit and nasty than the devils which isnt saying much

Correct.
Rangers don’t lack individual toughness and character, it’s why inserting a Reeves or Rempe doesn’t change anything.
What they lack is undefinable and bordering on intangible.
They lack collective toughness and have for 60 years outside of 1994.
Just look at the way Tarasenko and Mikolla bullied us… both guys fell victim to the Ranger curse last year.
How did Bobby Holik go from one of the most miserable players in the league to play against with the Devils to a waste for us?
We’re cursed.
Not cursed just a rotten soft country club culture. Culture needs to be flipped. Rangers top core players like mika and kreider care more about being able to hang out with their opposition in the offseason than they do winning

Your top 6’s ability to get to the dirty areas, get inside, get to the slot, win puck battles on the boards and pin teams down is the most important part. Those things arent done with little guys.

Igor is the best goalie in the world, not even he could cover up the rangers lack of grit to get into the dirty areas and battle. And the rangers have 10X more grit and nasty than the devils which isnt saying much

Again we did it fine last year. Rangers had more grit than us last year and we won. It’s not all about grit as you’re making it out to be. Coaching, skill, strategy, defense, goaltending…all matter

Reactions: goru1869
Not cursed just a rotten soft country club culture. Culture needs to be flipped. Rangers top core players like mika and kreider care more about being able to hang out with their opposition in the offseason than they do winning
I don’t think that’s the case since it’s been our nemesis for decades.
Put those guys on other teams who play with snarl and toughness and suddenly so will they.
Our back end With Gus, Fox and Lindgren is physically overmatched.

Again we did it fine last year. Rangers had more grit than us last year and we won. It’s not all about grit as you’re making it out to be. Coaching, skill, strategy, defense, goaltending…all matter
The rangers had no system. They wouldve lost to any playoff team. Stop going back to your one series win in 12 years vs a team without a coach to rationalize being fine.

Ill say it again in case your missing it. The most important thing a team needs for success in June is a top 6’s ability to get to the dirty areas, get inside, get to the slot, win puck battles on the boards and pin teams down. Those things aren't done with little guys.

I don’t think that’s the case since it’s been our nemesis for decades.
Put those guys on other teams who play with snarl and toughness and suddenly so will they.
Our back end With Gus and Lindgren is physically overmatched
Correct aka its a rotten country club culture. They need union workers, the rangers are a bunch of bankers.

Correct aka its a rotten country club culture. They need union workers, the rangers are a bunch of bankers.
We try like hell, we get the kid from St Louis and he goes 50 games without a goal, we get the son of the biggest agitator in NHL history and he does nothing.
We can’t bottle the formula

The rangers had no system. They wouldve lost to any playoff team. Stop going back to your one series win in 12 years vs a team without a coach to rationalize being fine.

Ill say it again in case your missing it. The most important thing a team needs for success in June is a top 6’s ability to get to the dirty areas, get inside, get to the slot, win puck battles on the boards and pin teams down. Those things aren't done with little guys.

Most important thing is having the correct mix. You’re contradicting yourself saying rangers lost to devils last year cause of coaching. THAT was the most important thing then last year, no?

We try like hell, we get the kid from St Louis and he goes 50 games without a goal, we get the son of the biggest agitator in NHL history and he does nothing.
We can’t bottle the formula
I liked brendan lemeiux, think hes a good 4th liner but he played on some really bad teams. He didnt fit the country club culture so was shipped out

Reactions: zappaa
Even with all my negativity today, let me say this. NYR was a super soft team a few years ago (think what the Devils are today). They have vastly improved. I didn't think they could beat Carolina or Florida. No issues with any western conference teams. I was wrong about Carolina and right about Florida.

They are close. They need a few more grinders for the playoffs. It's okay to have Panarin and Fox, but you need the toughness to surround them to balance it out.

Reactions: thegock
Most important thing is having the correct mix. You’re contradicting yourself saying rangers lost to devils last year cause of coaching. THAT was the most important thing then last year, no?
Theres a baseline minimum coaching that gets you to june. Rangers didnt have that with gallant. You can have the best coach on earth, if your top 6 cant get to the dirty areas, get inside, get to the slot, win puck battles on the boards and pin teams down you aint winning. This is most important. Those things aren't done with little guys.

Why did you lie and tell people you worked in hockey? Haha

Theres a baseline minimum coaching that gets you to june. Rangers didnt have that with gallant. You can have the best coach on earth, if your top 6 cant get to the dirty areas, get inside, get to the slot, win puck battles on the boards and pin teams down you aint winning. This is most important. Those things aren't done with little guys.

Why did you lie and tell people you worked in hockey? Haha

And if your top 6 can get in those areas but you have the worst coach on earth….you ain’t winning either.

Last edited:
And if your top 6 can get in those areas but you have the worst coach on earth….you ain’t winning either.
Whats more important? You change lavi and maurice this series, what team wins? Both solid coaches so, florida still wins. Why? Because they have a top 6 that can get to the dirty areas, get inside, get to the slot, win puck battles on the boards and pin teams down. This is most important. Those things aren't done with little guys.

Reactions: Randal7
Whats more important? You change lavi and maurice this series, what team wins? Both solid coaches so, florida still wins. Why? Because they have a top 6 that can get to the dirty areas, get inside, get to the slot, win puck battles on the boards and pin teams down. This is most important. Those things aren't done with little guys.

You change Bobrovsky with Akira Schmid…who wins? Rangers.

What is more important to one team is less important to another..but the most important thing for every team is to have a great mix of talent, speed, coaching, toughness and goaltending.

No the Potvin sucks chant is clearly the greatest.
Except it wasn't true lol, just Rags' sour grapes. #FourRings
denis-potvin-b-bennett.jpg

R.74bad4585d03c05323f8bfee7aab4495

You change Bobrovsky with Akira Schmid…who wins? Rangers.

What is more important to one team is less important to another..but the most important thing for every team is to have a great mix of talent, speed, coaching, toughness and goaltending.

Throw in playoff experience..knowing how to get to Final..huge factor in this series.

This whole combo is what made Florida the better team..not just cause they could “get in the dirty areas”

We're Devils fans the ones screaming for separate threads? Once again the little brother complex is fully apparent, but Krup said it best earlier in thread

I never screamed for separate threads. Plus this is a rangers topic

We're Devils fans the ones screaming for separate threads? Once again the little brother complex is fully apparent, but Krup said it best earlier in thread
I prefer all one thread. Good banter. Little brother is just mentally weak and doesnt want to hear criticism.

They think its better to not make the playoffs than lose in the ECF. They keep going back to 2003 haha but eventually theyll realize next season will be 22 years

Hey cheese
tough day for cheeseball. Another year and another no cup for the rags. Just 1 in the last 84 years and none in 30 years. Embarrassing.

I prefer all one thread. Good banter. Little brother is just mentally weak and doesnt want to hear criticism.

They think its better to not make the playoffs than lose in the ECF. They keep going back to 2003 haha but eventually theyll realize next season will be 22 years

“Better” in what way? As Igor said last year, nothing matters unless you win the cup. So in a season that nothing mattered for either team..Devils probably making out “better” with this higher pick.

Little brother isn’t the burn you think it is…lots of times little brothers are more successful

I mean we are the little brothers. A 40 year old franchise vs an 80+ year old franchise.

The 40 year old franchise has been more successful since they were founded. I’d take that any day

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT