ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Rangers 2023-2024 Thread

Zap - I completely agreed with your and your insider’s assessment of LAF. He has shown flashes over the years, but too many games where he was not noticeable, except for his penchant to be behind the play. Until this year. The last few games, production has been there. And the few times I saw him, he has been driving play and creating chances. Do you think he turned the corner or is this just a temporary hot streak?
Completely agree with you about Laf, I’m feasting on a huge plate of CROW.
Never in a million years did I think his problem was playing with North/South players and the remedy was playing with a creative East/West player like Bread.
His creativity was never allowed to come out, the kid is playing his ass off on night in night out basis.
He’s literally a difference maker now….Friggen Kyk was right 😊

Completely agree with you about Laf, I’m feasting on a huge plate of CROW.
Never in a million years did I think his problem was playing with North/South players and the remedy was playing with a creative East/West player like Bread.
His creativity was never allowed to come out, the kid is playing his ass off on night in night out basis.
He’s literally a difference maker now….Friggen Kyk was right 😊
Although your humility is admirable (MANY of us on this site and others should learn from your example), not sure that crow plate is a done deal yet, lol. You know better than most, that any player can get hot and go on an amazing streak, only to eventually revert to their “norm”. And you know, better than most, that it can all click for a player and they take off.

I’ve been on the books calling the kid a 3rd liner since almost the beginning. While I’m close, I’m not completely sold he has blossomed. IMO, not enough data. But another few months of consistent play, I’ll be right next to you on the bird chow line…

Oh and don’t feed the kyk beast. That last thing he needs is positive reinforcement. Any increase to his already swelled head and he won’t make it through the door, lol.

Reactions: zappaa
Yeah that was a hell of a win. Nashville threw everything they had at us all game…never felt comfortable watching that one.

It was the Sharks, but a win of a consecutive night game and Quick was in goal

Back to back road wins at Boston and at Toronto is pretty solid. Shesterkin has been looking much better the last couple games.

Back to back road wins at Boston and at Toronto is pretty solid. Shesterkin has been looking much better the last couple games.
The thing I always like to keep in mind with Shesterkin is that he was consistently good at all levels of development in Russia. He may hit a bad spot that affects his confidence, but working with Allaire will always get him back to his natural excellent level. I never worry much when he is struggling.

Quick as backup has been a hell of a luxury, though, and Allaire should get a banner when he finally retires.

Reactions: RUpop and RU Cheese
Play 57 minutes and you might not like the result. Effort needed to be better.

On to the next one.

Rangers opponents agree the Rangers have dangerous top end talent and great goaltending .

Ranger opponents also know they are easy to play against, even when they lose.

The Hurricanes in a losing effort where they can’t score are miserable to play against every night

Another game another win. Strong game for Miller.

Miller was good. Looks like Igor is back on track; figured he'd get it straightened out.

Happy to see Schneider bounce back. He had a very rough outing against Buffalo last game.

After a somewhat controversial loss to Florida ( Barkov skates his head into Laffy's shoulder while he's making a hockey play and Laffy gets the penalty? ), the Rangers play their 2nd game in 2 nights, 3 of 4, against a Tampa Bay squad who hadn't played since Wednesday. The result? A 5-1 pasting of Tampa Bay. Most points in the league heading into the New Year.

They have sent Chytil back to the Czech Republic for a while. You won't see him until the playoffs or not at all this season. Terrible for him

To all my Ranger fan friends.
This formula doesn’t work in the playoffs.
Elephant in the room and a continuing theme when we play against strong forechecking and no space allowing teams.
That 5-1 victory turns into losing in 6 in a series.

Very physical, very difficult team to play against coming into MSG tonight.

Has this board become a Devils only sight

Last edited:
Reactions: miker183
Very physical, very difficult team to play against coming into MSG tonight.

What I've liked from this season (so far) is, the Rangers are seeming to take these challenges personally. Whether it's games against top teams or responding after "no-show" losses, they seem to button down their game.

Of course, we all know it's a long season and trends like this will be tested, and at times, broken.

I expect them to be ready; don't know if they'll win.

What I've liked from this season (so far) is, the Rangers are seeming to take these challenges personally. Whether it's games against top teams or responding after "no-show" losses, they seem to button down their game.

Of course, we all know it's a long season and trends like this will be tested, and at times, broken.

I expect them to be ready; don't know if they'll win.
You have to understand I thought Tampa Bay was the better more dangerous team in a game they lost 5-1.
Im not sure if that makes me a nut case ot not, but I did say the exact same thing after going up 2-0 on the Devils in the playoffs last year…. Devils were the better 5 on 5 team in lobsided losses to them.
Everyone saw what happened.😊

You have to understand I thought Tampa Bay was the better more dangerous team in a game they lost 5-1.
Im not sure if that makes me a nut case ot not, but I did say the exact same thing after going up 2-0 on the Devils in the playoffs last year…. Devils were the better 5 on 5 team in lobsided losses to them.
Everyone saw what happened.😊

I think the way they approached Game 3 changed, and when they let the Devils up it cost them. I can't blame coaching entirely for a loss, but cannot understand how Gallant conceded certain things; line matching at home in particular. As a coach, I'm sure you want to believe that all your players CAN get the job done, but the simple fact is, some players are better suited for a given responsibility.

I think Shesty made the TBL game appear lopsided; played very well.

Time to shelf the passive PK against this team.
Can’t just leave the points uncontested and uncovered

Time to shelf the passive PK against this team.
Can’t just leave the points uncontested and uncovered

Really good teams utilize aggressive penalty killing. You need the right people obviously, but, agree, if you're outnumbered waiting for something to happen . . .it will. But usually not good.

Elephant in the room rears its head again tonight.
Passive Rangers overwhelmed by tight checking team
The only nuance is that they've at least show flashes, although earlier in the year, the ability to play a more complete, tight checking game. Am I confident they'll be able to do that consistently down the stretch and into playoffs? No. But do they have a structure in place that makes it a possibility (vs. no chance in last couple years)? Yes.

And I'm already dreading the massive overpayment Drury will make for a right-winger before the deadline.

These deals are terrible asset management, don't solve the problem, and are basically never worth it.

Assuming this video doesn’t disappear…lol.
This is the play that has sidelined Chytil for months with no end in sight.
Obviously suffering from multiple concussions previously, you can’t play hockey for a living anymore if this collision takes you out.

Last edited:
USA wins the gold in the world juniors thanks to these guys…

6-2 over Sweden. IN Sweden. The Swedes (fans and players) weren’t too happy with the loss.

Kakko scores in 2nd game returning from injury.
Good to see. He needs to be a fairly consistent secondary scoring option, but the team definitely missed his defensive game.

Rangers suffering from “Igor is a head case”
I’ve spoken with numerous hockey people connected to the Rangers who agree….After the Ranger strong start against the Knights, a mere competent Igor results in a win for the Rangers.
He’s two years deep into wild and crazy unreliable and inconsistent play.
Igor is in our players heads.

Take note when Igor is so out of sorts he uses his waffle pad to bat an easily handled puck directly infront of him into traffic.
3 of the next 6 or 7 shots are going in

I’ve spoken with numerous hockey people connected to the Rangers who agree….After the Ranger strong start against the Knights, a mere competent Igor results in a win for the Rangers.
markstrom-calgary-flames.gif

Take note when Igor is so out of sorts he uses his waffle pad to bat an easily handled puck directly infront of him into traffic.
3 of the next 6 or 7 shots are going in
He's the exact opposite of Henrik in that regard - he's not mentally strong and has been sub mediocre for a while now

He's the exact opposite of Henrik in that regard - he's not mentally strong and has been sub mediocre for a while now
He’s either fabulous or awful.
There’s not much in between.
He either pretty much shuts you out or gives up 5 runs in the first inning.

Not the definition of a stopper.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU Cheese
Team definitely dealing with a rather large bump in the road, but gutsy win nonetheless.

Game they should have won, but back end of back to back, I'll take it. Cullye playing really well for a rookie. Playing within himself and minding all 200 feet of ice.

Thankfully we came back against a putrid Anaheim team. But lots of things look wrong with this group…again. Zibanejad and Kreider disappear for long stretches. Wheeler, Goodrow, Brodzinsky add very little. And Shesterkin has been just average (below average of late) for the better part of 2 years now.

Thankfully we came back against a putrid Anaheim team. But lots of things look wrong with this group…again. Zibanejad and Kreider disappear for long stretches. Wheeler, Goodrow, Brodzinsky add very little. And Shesterkin has been just average (below average of late) for the better part of 2 years now.

All true. Major issues, some can be addressed by a hard look in the mirror, others are a bit more difficult to solve.

I'm glad that they are dealing with some adversity though. Before the playoffs they need to know EXACTLY who they want to be.

Last year, gave the Devils a solid punch in the mouth in first two games, coasted, and then the Devils took them to the woodshed. Each round gets harder, need to be able to up your own game.

And you can add their uniform in the putrid category.

Awful.👎

Augh - Chytil back skating with the team today and suffers a major setback. Post calling it a frightening scene and sources saying it's related to upper body injury that had sidelined him.

Terrible for the kid. People were speculating he could be one hit away from being done but he actually might be done.

EDIT: Sseems reports mixed and it could be non contact injury. Same impact to team but I suppose different impact for him.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT