ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Rangers fans

Why do so many Devils fans hate the Rangers? I grew up going to Rangers and Knicks games and can say without a doubt that there is no place like the garden for sports and concerts but why the hate? The Devils had a great run and as a Jersey guy I was happy for them. Didn’t follow closely but rooted for them all the way when not playing the Rangers. I go to Devils games here and there with friends and still go to the Garden as well. Night and day environment so is that the reason?
I don't know why, but yeah I hate 'em. HATE 'EM!!!!!!! GAH...the RANGERS!

Case in point... I saw this yesterday and immediately thought: 'wait, the Ranger's fans are throwing themselves on the ice?'

OK I'll show myself out.

Reactions: NickRU714
He played seven more years after signing with Vancouver, so that's half of his time as captain and about a third of his time wearing a letter, but either way it being towards the end of his career isn't an excuse for being a locker room cancer. If we're talking about his numbers dropping off, I'm not holding that against him because of course physical skills fade with age, but that's not what we're talking about. We can dismiss the fans if you want, but his teammates had a problem with him too. Keenan wasn't going to get rid of Messier since he was the reason he was brought in, so the only way he could address it was to trade away a bunch of key guys like Linden, McLean, Odjick, etc.

I mentioned before that he was obviously a tremendous captain for the Rangers, and of course a great leader for Edmonton too, but I think there should be some scrutiny before calling someone the "greatest leader of all-time," and turning your own team against you should rightfully count against that. It's not even that he just didn't succeed there, he tore the team apart.

Part of the "mystique" is borne from the fact Messier won 2 Cups without Gretzky, and Gretzky never won without Mess.

Obviously it goes deeper than that, but it does say something. Remember, Gretzky's Kings had a lot of talent at the time.

Reactions: Section124
Part of the "mystique" is borne from the fact Messier won 2 Cups without Gretzky, and Gretzky never won without Mess.

Obviously it goes deeper than that, but it does say something. Remember, Gretzky's Kings had a lot of talent at the time.
True but whether you like him (or the Devils) or not this is on the money…
One thing Messier and the Devils Cup teams had in common, they knew, EXACTLY, what it took to win a championship.

Last edited:
As good as the Meadowlands Arena was, the Prudential Center is a world class facility with great public transportation options from NJ, something that ConAir never had. It’s too bad that Bergen County politics forced the Nets to move to Brooklyn by denying any money to go to any Newark arena. Sharpe James, or all people, put up the money won from the Port Authority lawsuit to star building Prudential Center. Nets was perfect for Newark but..:

If you think the Prudential Center is a world class facility, you need to go visit some other NHL Rinks. Its a dump in a shitty city. Why they didn't build that rink in lets say Woodbridge (Central Jersey), is beyond me!

And no, I do not hate the Devils. A good Devils Team is great for hockey in NJ.

• Haha
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
If you think the Prudential Center is a world class facility, you need to go visit some other NHL Rinks. Its a dump in a shitty city. Why they didn't build that rink in lets say Woodbridge (Central Jersey), is beyond me!

You and mostly everyone else that says Prudential Center is a dump only because it’s in Newark, which is horsesh**.

And maybe Woodbridge OR BERGEN COUNTY FOR THAT MATTER should’ve came up with the money to build Prudential Center.

“The city of Newark pledged to contribute $210 million to the construction of the arena, using settlement money from its lease dispute over underpaid rent for use of Newark Liberty International Airport with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. The Devils paid for the remainder of the cost. Thus, no new direct taxpayer funding was required for the construction of the arena.”

Who cares
Yeah, it’s starting to get beyond creepy, lol.

When you have to edit your posts to add more “evidence” to back your “facts” about something that is almost entirely ethereal like leadership, you‘ve truly lost your way.

Whats next? Change the name of the Art Ross because he didnt score enough for some people that didn’t like him? Lol.

You and mostly everyone else that says Prudential Center is a dump only because it’s in Newark, which is horsesh**.

And maybe Woodbridge OR BERGEN COUNTY FOR THAT MATTER should’ve came up with the money to build Prudential Center.

“The city of Newark pledged to contribute $210 million to the construction of the arena, using settlement money from its lease dispute over underpaid rent for use of Newark Liberty International Airport with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. The Devils paid for the remainder of the cost. Thus, no new direct taxpayer funding was required for the construction of the arena.”

Like the venue better than Meadowlands, but did find traffic slightly better in East Rutherford. Once on the highway Pru is fine, but the surface roads in Newark get congested (for my liking). Truth be told I prefer to use PATH from Harrison; probably takes longer ,but less crowded.

Reactions: tico brown
Yeah, I’ve been there a lot and it’s not close to a dump. The nosebleeds are too steep for me, but it’s like that in a lot of arenas.

I‘ve only been back once to the “new” MSG and not a fan. Way too sterile. They squeezed all the character out of the place. Just seems like any other arena now. The last thing the so-called ”World‘s Most Famous Arena” (careful - don’t want to trigger anyone, lol) should be, is dull.

Reactions: goru1869
Public transportation to the Meadowlands was almost non existent unless you go through Hackensack, Patterson or the Port Authority. And I do recall leaving games from the stadium or arena was a delayed pain in the arse. Although you had the state troopers at the Meadowlands, Newark have damm near all of their PD Downtown. Along with NJ Transit PD inside Newark Penn, there shouldn’t be any issues that would add to stereotypical NEWARK SUCKS rants.

Still can’t get over someone saying Prudential Center is a dump: 😂😂😂

Yeah, I’ve been there a lot and it’s not close to a dump. The nosebleeds are too steep for me, but it’s like that in a lot of arenas.

I‘ve only been back once to the “new” MSG and not a fan. Way too sterile. They squeezed all the character out of the place. Just seems like any other arena now. The last thing the so-called ”World‘s Most Famous Arena” (careful - don’t want to trigger anyone, lol) should be, is dull.
What pissed me off about new MSG is how they make the “affordable seats” claustrophobic-like. You can’t see the scoreboard If you sit in the 200s anywhere above 15th row thanks to the Chase Bridge. You can see the scoreboard or a corner of the ice if you sit above 3rd row in the 400s. And people are paying at least $90 for those seats on stubhub lol.

And good luck getting out of there after the game.

Public transportation to the Meadowlands was almost non existent unless you go through Hackensack, Patterson or the Port Authority. And I do recall leaving games from the stadium or arena was a delayed pain in the arse. Although you had the state troopers at the Meadowlands, Newark have damm near all of their PD Downtown. Along with NJ Transit PD inside Newark Penn, there shouldn’t be any issues that would add to stereotypical NEWARK SUCKS rants.

Still can’t get over someone saying Prudential Center is a dump: 😂😂😂

The only benefit I see of the old BBA/CAA/Izod Center is the ability to "hang out" by your car before to tailgate or after a game to let traffic clear out.
Definitely bigger impact for concerts than Nets/Devils games.

Can't really do that in Newark.
However, I haven't found it overly burdensome though driving - getting in or out.
We usually show up pretty early for events though.

It was definitely easier when we lived in JC apartment and could just take the PATH then walk through the Gateway buildings to Prudential Center.

I'll be driving into the Devils game again tonight and hoping to get their around 6:15pm.
Not looking forward to driving through the streets with all the snow piled up on the sides though.

The only benefit I see of the old BBA/CAA/Izod Center is the ability to "hang out" by your car before to tailgate or after a game to let traffic clear out.
Definitely bigger impact for concerts than Nets/Devils games.

Can't really do that in Newark.
However, I haven't found it overly burdensome though driving - getting in or out.
We usually show up pretty early for events though.

It was definitely easier when we lived in JC apartment and could just take the PATH then walk through the Gateway buildings to Prudential Center.

I'll be driving into the Devils game again tonight and hoping to get their around 6:15pm.
Not looking forward to driving through the streets with all the snow piled up on the sides though.
The hang out part I get.

Tailgating in January and February? No thanks. 👎 LOL

I understand your opinion on this. Messier had run out more than one coach and probably numerous players.

Where I disagree is where you call him a locker room cancer. Was that because players mutinied against him and didn't buy in; maybe to probably. But those were the players that were left after Mess was dealt. So, he probably had a point about their commitment level.

One thing Messier and the Devils Cup teams had in common, they knew, EXACTLY, what it took to win a championship.
That may be a valid counterargument, but the guys who were dealt were key guys from the Canucks' 94 Cup run, so they had what it takes to reach the Cup. When the dust settled and those guys were sent packing, the Canucks went from being a middle of the pack team before the Messier signing to ending up with the 3rd worst record in the league and were not much better the next couple years.

I have been to plenty of other NHL arenas and the Prudential Center certainly is pretty nice. Newark sucks but they were willing to spend the money. I used to live in Iselin and would have loved for the team to move right there in Woodbridge, but that was never going to happen. Newark is much more accessible via mass transportation. There's only one NJ Transit line that goes to Woodbridge.

Yeah, it’s starting to get beyond creepy, lol.

When you have to edit your posts to add more “evidence” to back your “facts” about something that is almost entirely ethereal like leadership, you‘ve truly lost your way.

Whats next? Change the name of the Art Ross because he didnt score enough for some people that didn’t like him? Lol.
I don't see what the problem is, I enjoy talking about hockey history and I think this is an interesting discussion. At least miker has a feasible rebuttal that isn't just "LOL," "He has his own trophy," or "most people disagree."

That may be a valid counterargument, but the guys who were dealt were key guys from the Canucks' 94 Cup run, so they had what it takes to reach the Cup. When the dust settled and those guys were sent packing, the Canucks went from being a middle of the pack team before the Messier signing to ending up with the 3rd worst record in the league and were not much better the next couple years.

I have been to plenty of other NHL arenas and the Prudential Center certainly is pretty nice. Newark sucks but they were willing to spend the money. I used to live in Iselin and would have loved for the team to move right there in Woodbridge, but that was never going to happen. Newark is much more accessible via mass transportation. There's only NJ Transit line that goes to Woodbridge.

I don't see what the problem is, I enjoy talking about hockey history and I think this is an interesting discussion. At least miker has a feasible rebuttal that isn't just "LOL," "He has his own trophy," or "most people disagree."
What‘s the point? This is all opinion and your mind is made up. Unfortunately, so is the majority of the hockey world’s.

What‘s the point? This is all opinion and your mind is made up. Unfortunately, so is the majority of the hockey world’s.
So? Of course it's opinion, that's why we can have a debate over it. Most of the time people disagree on here about any topic, people's minds are already made up, doesn't mean the people with the minority opinion shouldn't be able to chime in.

So? Of course it's opinion, that's why we can have a debate over it. Most of the time people disagree on here about any topic, people's minds are already made up, doesn't mean the people with the minority opinion shouldn't be able to chime in.
Well, at least we can agree, you are in the minority opinion. Can’t believe it took this long to get here. Better late than never! But, don’t let that stop you, as if it could, haha. Keep your windmill tilt going. And maybe…just maybe. Maybe…one day…by GOD, one day…they will have the GUTS to change the name on that damn trophy!!

Well, at least we can agree, you are in the minority opinion. Can’t believe it took this long to get here. Better late than never! But, don’t let that stop you, as if it could, haha. Keep your windmill tilt going. And maybe…just maybe. Maybe…one day…by GOD, one day…they will have the GUTS to change the name on that damn trophy!!
??? I never disagreed that I was the minority opinion. However, just being the majority doesn't automatically make you correct. I also never took issue with the trophy being named after him, my point about the trophy was that its existence shouldn't be used as some sort of trump card on him being the best leader because the reason it's named after him is because he created it and named it after himself. Same reason why the Art Ross Trophy is named that way, except nobody uses that to say that Art Ross was the best point-scorer.

He played seven more years after signing with Vancouver, so that's half of his time as captain and about a third of his time wearing a letter, but either way it being towards the end of his career isn't an excuse for being a locker room cancer. If we're talking about his numbers dropping off, I'm not holding that against him because of course physical skills fade with age, but that's not what we're talking about. We can dismiss the fans if you want, but his teammates had a problem with him too. Keenan wasn't going to get rid of Messier since he was the reason he was brought in, so the only way he could address it was to trade away a bunch of key guys like Linden, McLean, Odjick, etc.

I mentioned before that he was obviously a tremendous captain for the Rangers, and of course a great leader for Edmonton too, but I think there should be some scrutiny before calling someone the "greatest leader of all-time," and turning your own team against you should rightfully count against that. It's not even that he just didn't succeed there, he tore the team apart.
All fair points. As much as I loved Messier, it was time for him to go when he went to Vancouver. I don't recall what was going on in his personal life at the time (I seem to recall him and his father trying to take control of a lot of things), but he was way past his prime when he got there. I'll remember him for his Oiler days even more than with the Rangers.

??? I never disagreed that I was the minority opinion. However, just being the majority doesn't automatically make you correct. I also never took issue with the trophy being named after him, my point about the trophy was that its existence shouldn't be used as some sort of trump card on him being the best leader because the reason it's named after him is because he created it and named it after himself. Same reason why the Art Ross Trophy is named that way, except nobody uses that to say that Art Ross was the best point-scorer.
Well, it’s obviously very important to you. I‘m rooting for ya, kid! Good luck.

What pissed me off about new MSG is how they make the “affordable seats” claustrophobic-like. You can’t see the scoreboard If you sit in the 200s anywhere above 15th row thanks to the Chase Bridge. You can see the scoreboard or a corner of the ice if you sit above 3rd row in the 400s. And people are paying at least $90 for those seats on stubhub lol.

One other thing about the Pru Center. The boards are too damned high. I played a charity police/fire tournament a few years back, went over the boards expecting my feet to land at a certain point; DIDN'T and fell flat on my face.
Perhaps it's that I'm vertically challenged. LOL.

Either way, even though at my expense, I had a story to tell.

Reactions: hankee18
I was actually physically ill after game 7 in '74. It was not a rout, by the way. Flyers won 4-3 and the refs called a bogus too many men on the ice call late, to end any chance. The Parise game the next year was the end of that version of the Rangers.
Thanks. Remember score being 4-3 but I recall game not being that close as score would indicate. Think it was on a Sunday afternoon if I recall. Though the Islander playoff round the following season doomed this core to ever win a Cup, it was actually the Flyers in 74 in my opinion that made me realize that this core was done. The good ole days for sure….::

Reactions: rutger80

One game I went to at MSG sometime in the late 2000s, I got tickets for the 400s near center ice, thinking I should be able to see everything from there. Instead, there was a press box or something in a walled off section next to me, preventing me from seeing one of the nets. However, the absolute worst was when I got a standing room only ticket for a game in Chicago. You have to stand behind the last row, but the floor of the last row is higher than the floor behind it, so unless you're 7 feet tall, the only way to see anything was to find an empty seat to stand behind, which was almost impossible.

As much as I loved Messier, it was time for him to go when he went to Vancouver.
I like to needle my buddy @robcac26 with his unhealthy obsession about all things Messier and NYR, but there are points to be made about the above. IMWO, that NYR team was done. They sold their souls for that 94 cup (probably rightly given what’s happened before and since). Yes, they had a nice run in 97 (I believe another OT series ending wrap around against the GOAT), but there were so many better teams around that time. PHI and NJD arrived. COL/DAL/DET were dominant. NYR were doomed to a one and done.

But. Still curious about the team decisions here. If you recall, MSG was literally raking in money at this time. Both home teams were flying high for 6-7 years at that point. I don‘t think a few extra million would have made much of a difference to them. I believe that after Messioer left, Neil smith said something to the effect - we can’t keep paying for the cup. Not sure if he really meant money here, lol. I think there was a bit of Messier strong arming on player acquisitions. No doubt the guy had a massive ego, hard not too when you’ve had that much success. And obviously he left a great void in the team when he left, the bottom literally dropped out immediately. But a great leader and player on the ice doesn’t guarantee a great coach or GM. I wonder if Neil Smith had a bit more backbone (trading Zubov, really?), opened up the purse more (resign Verbeek as well Messier), and not made horrible trades for draft picks (Marc Savard and serviceable pros for dreck in 1999) what would have happened? Still doubt a cup. But it probably would have saved NYR fans years of complete crap. Funny thing is that, once again, the doom of the NYR - they never completely tanked at that time, or any time in the last 60 years. Never the worst, almost never the best. Just…mediocrity.

Reactions: Section124
I like to needle my buddy @robcac26 with his unhealthy obsession about all things Messier and NYR, but there are points to be made about the above. IMWO, that NYR team was done. They sold their souls for that 94 cup (probably rightly given what’s happened before and since). Yes, they had a nice run in 97 (I believe another OT series ending wrap around against the GOAT), but there were so many better teams around that time. PHI and NJD arrived. COL/DAL/DET were dominant. NYR were doomed to a one and done.

But. Still curious about the team decisions here. If you recall, MSG was literally raking in money at this time. Both home teams were flying high for 6-7 years at that point. I don‘t think a few extra million would have made much of a difference to them. I believe that after Messioer left, Neil smith said something to the effect - we can’t keep paying for the cup. Not sure if he really meant money here, lol. I think there was a bit of Messier strong arming on player acquisitions. No doubt the guy had a massive ego, hard not too when you’ve had that much success. And obviously he left a great void in the team when he left, the bottom literally dropped out immediately. But a great leader and player on the ice doesn’t guarantee a great coach or GM. I wonder if Neil Smith had a bit more backbone (trading Zubov, really?), opened up the purse more (resign Verbeek as well Messier), and not made horrible trades for draft picks (Marc Savard and serviceable pros for dreck in 1999) what would have happened? Still doubt a cup. But it probably would have saved NYR fans years of complete crap. Funny thing is that, once again, the doom of the NYR - they never completely tanked at that time, or any time in the last 60 years. Never the worst, almost never the best. Just…mediocrity.
I seem to recall the issue was a power struggle between Messier and Smith. Smith won, but we lost because the team went downhill as you mentioned above. I could (and probably am) wrong about that. Memory fading in my old age. Not sure Messier as a player / GM would have done any better though.

One game I went to at MSG sometime in the late 2000s, I got tickets for the 400s near center ice, thinking I should be able to see everything from there. Instead, there was a press box or something in a walled off section next to me, preventing me from seeing one of the nets. However, the absolute worst was when I got a standing room only ticket for a game in Chicago. You have to stand behind the last row, but the floor of the last row is higher than the floor behind it, so unless you're 7 feet tall, the only way to see anything was to find an empty seat to stand behind, which was almost impossible.
There’s a lot of spots in the current Garden where you can lean against a wall in the middle of a section.

Speaking of the 400s, this is from the 5th row: no scoreboard and a corner of the rink. This was before I figured out to get front row only in the 400s… And this was STILL $90 on Stubhub.

I like to needle my buddy @robcac26 with his unhealthy obsession about all things Messier and NYR, but there are points to be made about the above. IMWO, that NYR team was done. They sold their souls for that 94 cup (probably rightly given what’s happened before and since). Yes, they had a nice run in 97 (I believe another OT series ending wrap around against the GOAT),
Yep, this time it was Adam Graves in Game 5. I was at that one, lower level at that end of the ice, happened right in front of me. I think it was the ensuing offseason that I finally decided I needed to pick one team or the other.

The problem with the Rangers in the early 2000s was that they tried to fix their team by throwing money at aging players. Fleury, Bure, Lindros, Jagr, and a returning Messier were the notable stars they tried to center the team around, but even beyond them, instead of developing prospects, they had some older guys like MacLean, Holik, Donato, etc. taking up roster spots. It wasn't until the salary cap was implemented that they had to adjust their roster-building strategy which opened the door for guys like Prucha, Tyutin, Dubinsky, Girardi, Callahan to get some experience and eventually become key contributors. It also helped that Weekes got injured, giving Lundqvist his opportunity.

I remember in the 2001 offseason finding it very interesting that the Red Wings seemed to employ the same strategy, bringing in old-timers like Hull, Robitaille, Hasek, and Olausson. At the time, I thought they would regret those moves, but they ended up winning the Presidents Trophy and Stanley Cup. I guess I was missing a key difference in that the Red Wings were already a contender and the Rangers were due for a true rebuild.

There’s a lot of spots in the current Garden where you can lean against a wall in the middle of a section.

Speaking of the 400s, this is from the 5th row: no scoreboard and a corner of the rink. This was before I figured out to get front row only in the 400s… And this was STILL $90 on Stubhub.

Wow yeah that would drive me nuts.

Many of the great players, leaders and captains of every sport in history are cancers in a clubhouse late in their careers.
Constantly lamenting the past and how they used to do it gets old.
MM was a perfect candidate for that.
I hate to bring up a storied name from the past, but Willie Mays in the Mets clubhouse in 1973 is perfect example….I’ll leave it that.
By the same token, a 40 year old Willie Stargell was the greatest leader I’ve ever seen.
Just my 2 cents.
All time greats generally make lousy managers and coaches as well….lol

Last edited:

My uncle is a Yankee fan and somehow got tickets to Game 2 of the 1998 WS.
We were down the right field line - literally 3 rows from the top of the stadium.
It was row XX or something.

We couldn't see the RF at all.
There was a jumping catch at the wall and we had no idea what happened.

We were down the right field line - literally 3 rows from the top of the stadium.

I used to go to Yankees games often because my dad was a huge fan. We were actually at Game 1 of that series and had the same problem in the upper deck on the left field side.

That was the old ball orchard

and now for something completely different from Duguay, Hedberg, Esposito and Maloney.......looking back, kind of douche chilly but I still love my Rangers anyway....

Yep, this time it was Adam Graves in Game 5. I was at that one, lower level at that end of the ice, happened right in front of me. I think it was the ensuing offseason that I finally decided I needed to pick one team or the other.

The problem with the Rangers in the early 2000s was that they tried to fix their team by throwing money at aging players. Fleury, Bure, Lindros, Jagr, and a returning Messier were the notable stars they tried to center the team around, but even beyond them, instead of developing prospects, they had some older guys like MacLean, Holik, Donato, etc. taking up roster spots. It wasn't until the salary cap was implemented that they had to adjust their roster-building strategy which opened the door for guys like Prucha, Tyutin, Dubinsky, Girardi, Callahan to get some experience and eventually become key contributors. It also helped that Weekes got injured, giving Lundqvist his opportunity.

I remember in the 2001 offseason finding it very interesting that the Red Wings seemed to employ the same strategy, bringing in old-timers like Hull, Robitaille, Hasek, and Olausson. At the time, I thought they would regret those moves, but they ended up winning the Presidents Trophy and Stanley Cup. I guess I was missing a key difference in that the Red Wings were already a contender and the Rangers were due for a true rebuild.
Really great points. The root of the NYR 2000s spending sprees - gutting picks/young players from 93-99. By the turn of the millennium, there was no one left. But they had literal boatloads of cash. So, they spent. Spent just enough to not tank and not make the playoffs for like 6 years in a row. The definition of spinning tires. Hard to see how NYR fans would have survived if they were not gifted Jagr and lucked out in with a 7th rounder HOF goalie.

The weird part about that “rebuild”, they never tanked to get any top players. Same for this current rebuild. They completely lucked into a 1 and 2 (both seem thoroughly average so far), but they never LOST to get those high picks.

Red wings were a plug and play machine at that point. I think they helped give Bowman more rings than he has fingers. But they did rebuild “Classic”. They had some all time horrid years in late 70s and 80s. The picks they got for those tough years set the stage for years of dominance. Others like our own NJD and PIT (twice) have employed the same strategy and it worked out. Also worked out fabulous the first time for our NYI, second time not so much (so far, but that book might be closing soon. If they only had that damn secondary scorer they might have won it all over the past few years). And don’t get me started on EDM, lol. What a basket case of an org. No one has ever done less with more.

Reactions: robcac26
Many of the great players, leaders and captains of every sport in history are cancers in a clubhouse late in their careers.
Constantly lamenting the past and how they used to do it gets old.
MM was a perfect candidate for that.
I hate to bring up a storied name from the past, but Willie Mays in the Mets clubhouse in 1973 is perfect example….I’ll leave it that.
By the same token, a 40 year old Willie Stargell was the greatest leader I’ve ever seen.
Just my 2 cents.
All time greats generally make lousy managers and coaches as well….lol
Yeah, not sure why the rest of us blabber on here about stuff we just barely know ourselves. We have an ACTUAL pro in the family! Thanks for the insight buddy!

Reactions: zappaa
Yeah, not sure why the rest of us blabber on here about stuff we just barely know ourselves. We have an ACTUAL pro in the family! Thanks for the insight buddy!
Well a lot of us are (maybe by age?) are familiar with the things mentioned already.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT