ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Sports OT: Official 2024 Summer Olympics Thread (with LIVE UPDATES)

Huh? I watched it all. You're the idiot that doesn't think the world has caught up. This isn't 2000 anymore.
You are so dramatic. The world is getting better but if the US team plays like they normally do, would not have been close. Look at the rest of the results. Credit France for actually having a coach do their job.

Also enjoyed H.E.R.'s national anthem (she's an incredible artist) and the Tom Cruise thing was fun, if a bit over-the-top, and I enjoyed the RHCP, Billie Eilish and Snoop/Dre. Very LA.

Reactions: RUforJERSEY
You are so dramatic. The world is getting better but if the US team plays like they normally do, would not have been close. Look at the rest of the results. Credit France for actually having a coach do their job.
Actually you are the dramatic clown ignoring that it's 2024. You think they should have won in a blowout. Wake up stupid.

Yes a Euro site was half way to a home game and had a good vibe.
People didn't have to wake-up at 3AM to see live action half a world away.
In stadium crowds knew English and French
Lots of youngs watch stuff on their phones (even when a 65" tv is in the house) so streaming worked.
The NBC hosts were good and the athletes were mostly respectable.
In a day of mediocre $50m QBs, unwatchable events and goofball athletes, the Olympics were a throwback.
One non US diver ranked 3rd in world spoke of living on 35k a year .
Most athletes seemed genuinely friendly with each other.
A photo of two US athletes celebrating a foreign winner over them would have been a scandal not long ago

yVujcR8.jpeg
Very well said. At the end of the day the competition was fierce and amazing, but for the most part the camaraderie and respect were beautiful to see. I just love the Olympic spirit of celebrating the accomplishments from athletes from every part of the globe.

Talk about dramatic! You're crying about a Gold Medal win. It's obvious you think that every US team has to win by big numbers ! Must be a sexist thing for you. The Men's team struggled in multiple games and actually have lost in previous years

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the Paris games were the best Olympics, maybe ever. I’m sure it’s been the best and most entertaining in the last 20+ years. For a few cycles, the Olympics seemed to matter less, but the French really deserve a lot of credit for putting on a great show. Plus, all the great US athletes.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the Paris games were the best Olympics, maybe ever. I’m sure it’s been the best and most entertaining in the last 20+ years. For a few cycles, the Olympics seemed to matter less, but the French really deserve a lot of credit for putting on a great show. Plus, all the great US athletes.
Said the same earlier - best Olympics I can recall.

Will be interesting to see how they do things in LA four years from now. Most of the track finals are held at night when the heat of the day has dissipated some with sundown. Will they hold the running finals at 7-9 Pacific time when it will be pushing midnight on the East coast? Same with the closing ceremony which is another always after dark event. I can't recall how things were setup the last time the games were held in LA.

Will be interesting to see how they do things in LA four years from now. Most of the track finals are held at night when the heat of the day has dissipated some with sundown. Will they hold the running finals at 7-9 Pacific time when it will be pushing midnight on the East coast? Same with the closing ceremony which is another always after dark event. I can't recall how things were setup the last time the games were held in LA.

It's hard to imagine the track and field events being held at night in 2028. I can't even begin to recall what times these events were held in 1984, but I do recall that for the 1994 World Cup, the West Coast games started at noon. I think that most events will be held during the day for ratings purposes.

Break fans will be disappointed to learn this sport will not be contested in 2028. But these sports are being added:

What new sports will be at the 2028 Olympics?

The Los Angeles Games will feature a few new Olympic sports and several that haven’t been played at the Olympics for quite some time.

Most notably, men’s and women’s flag football will make its debut for the first time in 2028. It’s unclear who will make up the United States men’s team or if NFL players will participate, though several — including Kansas City Chiefs star Patrick Mahomes — have said they are interested. Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts is the official ambassador for the new Olympic sport, too.

Squash will also make its debut as an official Olympic sport in 2028 after four previous attempts at entering the Games. Baseball and softball will return to the Olympics. Neither were played in Paris despite returning to the rotation in Tokyo.

Both lacrosse and cricket will return to the Olympics in Southern California for the first time in more than a century. Cricket has been played just once in the Olympics, back in 1900, and lacrosse was last contested in 1908.

And while breaking was added to the Olympics this summer in France, it won’t return in Los Angeles in 2028.

Talk about dramatic! You're crying about a Gold Medal win. It's obvious you think that every US team has to win by big numbers ! Must be a sexist thing for you. The Men's team struggled in multiple games and actually have lost in previous years
Really? You throwing out the "sexist" comment? Just take the L already. No need to get personal with bad takes.

I think the production got much better and all the announcers were good at dramatizing everything. Love the WWE style intro to all the athletes.

Reactions: 93RUDoc
Break fans will be disappointed to learn this sport will not be contested in 2028. But these sports are being added:

What new sports will be at the 2028 Olympics?

The Los Angeles Games will feature a few new Olympic sports and several that haven’t been played at the Olympics for quite some time.

Most notably, men’s and women’s flag football will make its debut for the first time in 2028. It’s unclear who will make up the United States men’s team or if NFL players will participate, though several — including Kansas City Chiefs star Patrick Mahomes — have said they are interested. Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts is the official ambassador for the new Olympic sport, too.

Squash will also make its debut as an official Olympic sport in 2028 after four previous attempts at entering the Games. Baseball and softball will return to the Olympics. Neither were played in Paris despite returning to the rotation in Tokyo.

Both lacrosse and cricket will return to the Olympics in Southern California for the first time in more than a century. Cricket has been played just once in the Olympics, back in 1900, and lacrosse was last contested in 1908.

And while breaking was added to the Olympics this summer in France, it won’t return in Los Angeles in 2028.

I use to break when I was a teenagr. I tried to watch it a couple of times but thought it was awful.

I enjoy women's hoops and still go to a game or two when we're good (and used to go to more when we were really good). If you used to go to games that means you must have liked it some - to call it awful and unwatchable is just over the top.
That game yesterday sucked. I’m THRILLED we won, don’t get me wrung, but was sitting there with my mom watching the game (her 80th) and even she thought it was awful.

Reactions: Section124
picking-up where the former Iron Curtain "women" weightlifters left off
"...nothing to see here." -Xi Jinping

China names 11 doping scandal swimmers in its Paris Olympics team​

China is sending 11 swimmers embroiled in a doping scandal to the Paris 2024 Olympics.

Among the 31-member swim roster it released Tuesday, the Chinese Swimming Association named almost a dozen swimmers who tested positive for the banned heart drug trimetazidine in 2021.

"...nothing to see here." -Xi Jinping

China names 11 doping scandal swimmers in its Paris Olympics team​

China is sending 11 swimmers embroiled in a doping scandal to the Paris 2024 Olympics.

Among the 31-member swim roster it released Tuesday, the Chinese Swimming Association named almost a dozen swimmers who tested positive for the banned heart drug trimetazidine in 2021.
It's STUNNING to me that these dopers were actually ALLOWED to compete (or will b in the future).

While not as deep in talent as the US, the French women were not without talent - 4 former WNBA players. Only one i am familiar with is Williams, since I don’t follow WNBA. She played on two National Championship teams with UConn and was first round WNBA draft pick.
US played poorly, it happens. Look at some of RU head scratching loses and near loses, or Purdue versus St Peters

Latest news that I found in the issue
The USA claims the ruling that their appeal was made late was wrong and have a time stamped video
to prove the appeal was made before the deadline.
Its weird, the Men's competition allowed for dual Bronze medals but the Women's one did not.

Even before the Chiles thing, both Romanian women tied in points, but one was given the tiebreaker due to difficulty (which means the other had better execution, no?).

At this point, just hit Chiles with a 0.10 point deduction for the late appeal by a few seconds and give them all a bronze. Its just so stupid and all of it is subjective. All 3 women have a case for the bronze, and the subjective nature of judging is the reason why we have this, so might as well just have them all get it for a 3-way tie.

Time to "grade" Team USA....and I'll start with "Beach Volleyball:"

Round of 16 Women USA 2 Italy 0
Round of 16 Men Norway 2 USA 0
Round of 16 Men USA 2 Italy 0
Round of 16 Women Canada 2 USA 0

...so we own Italy.....BUT.....get swiped twice by CANADA and NORWAY???!!! I'm gonna let those 2 results soak in for a minute.

Quarterfinals

Women Switzerland 2 USA 0
Men's Qatar 2 USA 0

.....I'm gonna let THESE TWO results "soak" as well.

NOT A SINGLE DUO (OF 4) REACH THE SEMIS and quite honestly, the WAY each team bowed out (8-0 total match scores of losses) was, in a word, EMBARRASSING. Really should be an "F" but I'm only going to give 1 of those out so we'll go with a D---.

Been called worse, lol. I'd have no problem telling them that. Let me ask you this - do you think a gold in a single track, swimming, cycling, archery, rowing, etc. gold medal in basketball is worth more, event is as important to you, as a fan, as a gold in basketball or soccer? Not for me and I'd be surprised if it is for you.
BTW - sorry just one more response to this thought process:

You’re gonna tell me the gold medal in basketball is worth/means/should count for more than a gold medal to the person who just crossed the finish line 1st after running over 26 miles?

Okay that’s it I promise lol!!!

BTW - sorry just one more response to this thought process:

You’re gonna tell me the gold medal in basketball is worth/means/should count for more than a gold medal to the person who just crossed the finish line 1st after running over 26 miles?

Okay that’s it I promise lol!!!
Maybe since there are 12 (?) players on the basketball roster maybe they should each get 1/12th of a medal

• Haha
Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Second-best USA basketball team, IMO. The Serbia and France games were so entertaining. Steph and LeBron together. Awesome.

Ranking USA men's Olympic teams in the NBA era: Does the original Dream Team still check in at No. 1?​

1. 1992

Record: 8-0

Average margin: 43.8 points

Leading scorer: Charles Barkley, 18.0

Closest victory: Final vs. Croatia, 32 points

Medal: Gold

This wasn’t a foregone conclusion just because it was the original Dream Team. But here’s how amazing this group was: Larry Bird basically played his final competitive games here because of his back issues, and Magic Johnson had been inactive all year after testing positive for HIV – and still you had the reigning NBA MVP and eight others who ranked among the top dozen in votes. (And there was Duke product Christian Laettner, who’d swept the college player of the year trophies).

Nearly the entire team is in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame individually (and Laettner should be, for his college achievements). And of course they are enshrined as a group.

I’ll admit to still wondering how close a full Yugoslavia team would have been able to come to challenging this group; their squad began to fracture even before Yugoslavia eventually divided into multiple countries, as detailed in the brilliant ESPN documentary, “Once Brothers”. It probably would have been closer than the 32 points Croatia managed alone, but no international team was ready to beat this bunch.

5. 2024

Record: 6-0

Average margin: 22

Leading scorer: Stephen Curry, 14.8

Closest victory: SF vs. Serbia, 4 points

Only three top-10 MVP choices were on this team, but some of that was because others were scattered among their competition: Serbia’s Nikola Jokic, Canada’s Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Greece’s Giannis Antetokounmpo. The only highly ranked American on that list who was missing was Jalen Brunson, whom USA Basketball chose not to include.

The other major NBA star absent from this squad was Kawhi Leonard, who arrived at the July training camp but was sent home because of concerns about his knee.

A team with Durant, James and Curry – even with each one moving toward the end of his career – has a lot going for it. The U.S. excelled in pool play, winning their three games by an average of more than 20 points, but they nearly missed the chance to play for a medal as their reliance on center Joel Embiid – despite massive defensive deficiencies – got them into all kinds of trouble early in the game against Serbia. They had to recover from a 13-point deficit in the fourth quarter. Embiid helped with that by finally committing to defend shooters, but James’ four assists and Curry’s five points in the final 2:30 were the greatest difference.

Ranking USA men's Olympic teams in the NBA era: Does the original Dream Team still check in at No. 1?​

1. 1992

Record: 8-0

Average margin: 43.8 points

Leading scorer: Charles Barkley, 18.0

Closest victory: Final vs. Croatia, 32 points

This wasn’t a foregone conclusion just because it was the original Dream Team. But here’s how amazing this group was: Larry Bird basically played his final competitive games here because of his back issues, and Magic Johnson had been inactive all year after testing positive for HIV – and still you had the reigning NBA MVP and eight others who ranked among the top dozen in votes. (And there was Duke product Christian Laettner, who’d swept the college player of the year trophies).

Nearly the entire team is in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame individually (and Laettner should be, for his college achievements). And of course they are enshrined as a group.

I’ll admit to still wondering how close a full Yugoslavia team would have been able to come to challenging this group; their squad began to fracture even before Yugoslavia eventually divided into multiple countries, as detailed in the brilliant ESPN documentary, “Once Brothers”. It probably would have been closer than the 32 points Croatia managed alone, but no international team was ready to beat this bunch.

5. 2024

Record: 6-0

Average margin: 22

Leading scorer: Stephen Curry, 14.8

Closest victory: SF vs. Serbia, 4 points

Only three top-10 MVP choices were on this team, but some of that was because others were scattered among their competition: Serbia’s Nikola Jokic, Canada’s Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Greece’s Giannis Antetokounmpo. The only highly ranked American on that list who was missing was Jalen Brunson, whom USA Basketball chose not to include.

The other major NBA star absent from this squad was Kawhi Leonard, who arrived at the July training camp but was sent home because of concerns about his knee.

A team with Durant, James and Curry – even with each one moving toward the end of his career – has a lot going for it. The U.S. excelled in pool play, winning their three games by an average of more than 20 points, but they nearly missed the chance to play for a medal as their reliance on center Joel Embiid – despite massive defensive deficiencies – got them into all kinds of trouble early in the game against Serbia. They had to recover from a 13-point deficit in the fourth quarter. Embiid helped with that by finally committing to defend shooters, but James’ four assists and Curry’s five points in the final 2:30 were the greatest difference.

I enjoyed Michael Jordan's response when asked who would win between the 92 and 24 teams. His answer was probably the 24 team by a couple points because everyone from 92 team are now in their 60's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT