ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official PGA Championship thread. At Bethpage Black

WhiteBus

Hall of Famer
Oct 4, 2011
One of my favorite courses to see the pros play. Public course. Jazzed up for a major. Fun to play on an occasional basis. Can't imagine walking that 4 days in a row in competition plus practice rounds. Yikes.

Justin Thomas is out with a wrist injury.

Anyone going? Weather looks to be good so far.

Who you got? Who are you betting on?

Reactions: soundcrib
One of my favorite courses to see the pros play. Public course. Jazzed up for a major. Fun to play on an occasional basis. Can't imagine walking that 4 days in a row in competition plus practice rounds. Yikes.

Love when the pros play there as well, especially a major. Only course I’ve played that hosts a major.

I’m going with Koepka, just think the course suits his game.

Reactions: WhiteBus
I’ll watch every shot from my TV and/or laptop this time around, Was there in 2002 and had a blast. It's long and a bit hilly ! And if it's wet it will play longer still, but today I heard on The Golf Channel it's been draining well, and the cool weather is keeping the rough down a bit. Also , other than a few holes, the greens are relatively flat. If Tiger had played just one competitive tourney since The Mastorws I'd say he'd be right in contention on Sunday, but 5 weeks off not playing is not good. Heard he's been practicing there a lot there the last 2 weeks, though. I expect the usual leaderboard that favors the longer hitters like Koepka, Johnson and Rory. If Tiger is within 5 strokes and 5 players teeing off on Sunday morning, it's going to be Bedlam there.

Reactions: beaced and WhiteBus
I was also there in 2002...think I just dried off from that recently. That was one WET tournament.

Agree with others...this is one fun course to watch the pros tackle. I’m all in on Koepka as well.

I’ll watch every shot from my TV and/or laptop this time around, Was there in 2002 and had a blast. It's long and a bit hilly ! And if it's wet it will play longer still, but today I heard on The Golf Channel it's been draining well, and the cool weather is keeping the rough down a bit. Also , other than a few holes, the greens are relatively flat. If Tiger had played just one competitive tourney since The Mastorws I'd say he'd be right in contention on Sunday, but 5 weeks off not playing is not good. Heard he's been practicing there a lot there the last 2 weeks, though. I expect the usual leaderboard that favors the longer hitters like Koepka, Johnson and Rory. If Tiger is within 5 strokes and 5 players teeing off on Sunday morning, it's going to be Bedlam there.
It's not a bit hilly. It is a monster of a course

Reactions: RutgHoops
Love when the pros play there as well, especially a major. Only course I’ve played that hosts a major.

I’m going with Koepka, just think the course suits his game.

Koepka as good a pick as any.

I think the old guys will struggle. Course is a bear.

And as I correctly predicted Tiger would finish top 10 at Augusta I have credibility here :)

Great coverage by the Golf Channel talking about one of the greatest US golf courses ever near Bethpage. And it hasn't existed since WWII. Lido Golf Course on LI

Completely awful comment by Tiger about John Daly. He thought it was funny. It wasn't.

My only question:
How much will Tiger win by?
:)

I was there yesterday. All the caddies were complaining how long it was playing. But from playing there last June; my thoughts are the rough is not up as much although it is very thick and wet at this point but I think it dries out, the fescue is only half way up and the greens are soft and not terribly fast. I think the long powerful hitters are going to go low this week. Like a -double digit score will win. Which is crazy because -3 and -4 won in 2002 and 2009. I got home and immediately played the Tiger props and took him to finish below -5 and -7 on draft kings.

He won't win.

Agreed, unless he finds more accuracy off the tee - this is not Augusta, where missing the fairway isn't usually much of a penalty. I think we might see him put the driver away on a lot of holes and take his chances with the 3-wood and more long/mid-irons, which he's great with. But if he does that, he'll be at a disadvantage against some of the guys who hit it long and straight and will be playing shorter irons into the elevated greens.

Obviously, Koepka and DJ are the kind of players, who, if they have good driving weeks, will be in contention and could win. But I'm going to go with Xander Schauffele, who came really close in the Masters and has played well in a bunch of majors lately. While he's a minor "dark horse" pick, my actual dark horse surprise pick would be Adam Scott.

Also, the weather really shouldn't be an issue. Maybe a few light showers Thursday morning, but no t-storms (i.e., no delays) and some more showers possible Friday afternoon, which is the only time that t-storms are possible, although they're not likely (and it won't be an all-afternoon series of storms - more of a hit or miss scenario, so any delays should be short). The weekend looks great.

It's also not expected to be particularly windy throughout the tournament - maybe a bit breezy on Friday afternoon. Course should definitely dry out over the 4 days with the weekend likely being drier/faster than the first two days (unless more rain falls Friday afternoon/evening than currently forecast - <1/4" is forecast now).

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.743&lon=-73.4776#.XNwp-Y5Kjs0

Daly has bad arthritis and was using a cart during practice rounds. Asked about it Tiger responded "Well I played with a broken leg so..."

I had no problem with his comment. Also, he did say it in a way that evoked humor and not smugness, which for Tiger, is saying a lot.

Agreed, unless he finds more accuracy off the tee - this is not Augusta, where missing the fairway isn't usually much of a penalty. I think we might see him put the driver away on a lot of holes and take his chances with the 3-wood and more long/mid-irons, which he's great with. But if he does that, he'll be at a disadvantage against some of the guys who hit it long and straight and will be playing shorter irons into the elevated greens.

Obviously, Koepka and DJ are the kind of players, who, if they have good driving weeks, will be in contention and could win. But I'm going to go with Xander Schauffele, who came really close in the Masters and has played well in a bunch of majors lately. While he's a minor "dark horse" pick, my actual dark horse surprise pick would be Adam Scott.
I'm going with my heart and picking Tony Finau. Love his game. Going with my wallet to at 20 to 1.

I'm going with McIlroy. Reason? Driving accuracy and GIR from 175 out. From what I understand the greens are not as difficult as many other venues which could help him. At least the first couple days the course should still be soft. Guys who aren't blasters off the tee will be looking at long 2nd shots on many Par 4's. Also like his threesome (Phil and Day) and late Thu, early Fri tee times.

I had no problem with his comment. Also, he did say it in a way that evoked humor and not smugness, which for Tiger, is saying a lot.
For a guy who missed years of golf because of injuries and addictions you shouldn't mock another golfer and act like your a tough guy.

Daly has bad arthritis and was using a cart during practice rounds. Asked about it Tiger responded "Well I played with a broken leg so..."
That's a little funny. Not feeling bad for Daly. I get why PGA gave Martin the exemption but I don't think they should've gave Daly one. He has bad knees because he is out of shape.

Reactions: soundcrib
For a guy who missed years of golf because of injuries and addictions you shouldn't mock another golfer and act like your a tough guy.

My impression was not that it was neither mocking or a tough guy act. He was asked what he thought of it and gave an honest answer. When he was injured he stayed home and did not ask for special consideration.
It reminded me more the attitude when a former MLB star (might have been Mantle) was asked about the 30 home run/30 stolen base stat and replied "If I knew it would become such a big deal, I would have done it myself".
In the end, a fan of Tiger laughs off his comments and others would see it as being overly critical.

My impression was not that it was neither mocking or a tough guy act. He was asked what he thought of it and gave an honest answer. When he was injured he stayed home and did not ask for special consideration.
It reminded me more the attitude when a former MLB star (might have been Mantle) was asked about the 30 home run/30 stolen base stat and replied "If I knew it would become such a big deal, I would have done it myself".
In the end, a fan of Tiger laughs off his comments and others would see it as being overly critical.
I think it's a great locker room joke but not a press conference room comment. Especially when Tiger was the biggest advocate for Casey Martin.
Watch the video. It was definitely a shot at Daly and a tough guy comment.

I think it's a great locker room joke but not a press conference room comment. Especially when Tiger was the biggest advocate for Casey Martin.
Watch the video. It was definitely a shot at Daly and a tough guy comment.

Casey Martin and John Daly are very different situations. Kudos to Tiger for supporting Martin and for making fun of Daly. I would have more sympathy if Daly made some effort to get in shape.

Casey Martin and John Daly are very different situations. Kudos to Tiger for supporting Martin and for making fun of Daly. I would have more sympathy if Daly made some effort to get in shape.
What does arthritis have to do with being in shape??

What does arthritis have to do with being in shape??
Daly has osteoarthritis in one of his knee. It was caused by a torn meniscus. Being in shape help alleviate stress to your cartilage and ligaments. Daly is very proud of his lifestyle choices. He has to live with the consequences.

Fat Slob Daly should be ashamed of himself riding in a cart. Wonder if he'll park his winnebego in Hooters parking lot off the LIE and sign autographs for gas money after he badly misses the cut?

I get why people like the guy but if you can't walk you shouldn't be out there. Tiger was answering the question that was asked...pointing out that he feels so strongly about it that despite being the best player in the world who the USGA would have bent over backwards to accommodate, he gutted it out rather than ask for an advantage over everyone else.

Wouldn't it be awesome if both were in a playoff? lol. Daly was great to the fans at Baltursrol, when they had the US Open or PGA about 20 years ago.
I always rooted for him, for Tiger too. Both very flawed men with very immense talent. Daly wasted most his, but still got 2 Majors. Tiger should have a few more as well.
I'll root for both this weekend, but doubt Daly makes it to Saturday. FYI- I didn't Tiger was being snarky either, just answered a question truthfully.
Funny thing is, I think Tiger is friendly with both Daly and Casey Martin.

Hope we can watch Tiger tomorrow morning on line without having to pay extra for the site.

looks like the guy who won 1.2 million on Tiger winning the masters is giving back 100k.

Great first round. That course is a bear but players love the conditions of the greens and are hitting bombs. Koepka drove the ball well but his irons to the green where meh. Made up for it by hitting some great long putts.

Koepka made a lot of long putts. Will be interesting to see if he can keep that up today. If he does, he may not be touched although it's not easy to go wire to wire in a Major.

Daly has osteoarthritis in one of his knee. It was caused by a torn meniscus. Being in shape help alleviate stress to your cartilage and ligaments. Daly is very proud of his lifestyle choices. He has to live with the consequences.

Daly is clean and sober now. Maybe a little bit heavy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT