ADVERTISEMENT

OT: oh oh oh Ozempic !

That's the same garbage lawsuits any new drug has. And the article calls out TENS of them.
I'm not sure if you were refuting the GI side effect claims for GLP-1 agonists, but they are legit.
It’s just all about discipline. Meal prepping will help you big time, and get to the gym 3-4 times per week minimum.

Taking a pill isn’t going to solve the issue, it’s just going to provide you with a temporary bandaid.

Or are people planning on staying on this drug for the rest of their lives?
^^^^Bingo!!! Discipline and hard work go a long way, provide numerous other health benefits and are safer. Too many people opt for the easiest solution.

Reactions: 93RUDoc
^^^^Bingo!!! Discipline and hard work go a long way, provide numerous other health benefits and are safer. Too many people opt for the easiest solution.
I mean this thread is proof alone, “it’s so hard to say no when all the options are in the pantry”

And I’m not talking shit because I’m working on this currently myself.

Neglected my health for years, but the past 6 months or so I’ve been grinding it out.

If you’re really concerned about your health and want to make a change, here are some tips:

-drink more water, you don’t need the other crap
-make sure you’re getting in 7-8 hours of sleep
-hit the gym, and don’t worry about looking bad. You’ve made the jump to get in there, you’re stronger than most for that.
-I meal prep because it’s easier for me, but high protein

I hired a PT that I meet with every Monday. What it’s done has set my Monday as my reset day. Even if I have a shitty week, I know next Monday is my bounce back day to reset for the following week.

I’d be happy to share my workout routine for anyone interested. I’m down 20lbs with an additional 20 to go.

I’ve done keto in the past and it’s great because it works, but it doesn’t build good habits and the weight will always come back.

It’s about a lifestyle change.

Mealprepmanual.com is my bible now

I mean this thread is proof alone, “it’s so hard to say no when all the options are in the pantry”

Neglected my health for years, but the past 6 months or so I’ve been grinding it out.

If you’re really concerned about your health and want to make a change, here are some tips:

-hit the gym, and don’t worry about looking bad. You’ve made the jump to get in there, you’re stronger than most for that.

I hired a PT that I meet with every Monday. What it’s done has set my Monday as my reset day. Even if I have a shitty week, I know next Monday is my bounce back day to reset for the following week.

I’d be happy to share my workout routine for anyone interested. I’m down 20lbs with an additional 20 to go.

I’ve done keto in the past and it’s great because it works, but it doesn’t build good habits and the weight will always come back.

Well done. Keep up the dedication and make sure it's a lifelong endeavor. Your mind and body will thank you many times over in the future.

Reactions: The RUT
Well done. Keep up the dedication and make sure it's a lifelong endeavor. Your mind and body will thank you many times over in the future.
Absolutely. Mind over matter.

It’s honestly just a matter of eating healthy for me. If I meal prep I don’t fall of the rails.

Every bad week in the gym generally starts with poor food choices.

For me it's been three weeks and I'm down 10 pounds here is what I'm trying :

1) As people said above : keep the bad foods out of the house. This is easier with the holidays over and an empty nest.
2) Scott Adams (the Dilbert creator) had a good piece of advice, he said that he eats as much as he wants and doesn't gain weight. He just changed the food he likes. So I'm only eating lean meats, beans, some nuts, fruits and vegetables and right now I'm eating when ever I feel hungry, no restrictions, but instead of something "bad" I grab fruit vegetables or some prepared meal.
3) Plan. Plan shopping and prepare meals. When cooking cook extra so it's there for you to grab.
4) Get my ass to the Gym. (still working to be consistent on this)

This for me is not a diet but I want to change the way I go about eating and what I eat. I'm not going to worry about losing weight, I'm concentrating on creating a system, get the system correct and the weight will follow.

If that works for you that's great. Like I said above, everyone should know their own psychology and do what works for them.

I've never had trouble with weight during my life but I've tried to be healthier as I get older. 95% of what I drink is water (make sure it's enough) and eat tons of fruits, fibers (also make sure it's enough), veggies, beans etc.. but I will eat junk if I feel like it at times but will also try and keep it out of the house at times too by saying no at the grocery store.

If your psychology works with mind over matter, discipline etc..that's great for you. Me I don't want to think of anything as a "battle," mind over matter or discipline or will power etc... for me I just have made it to a point that it's a habit (good habits are hard to break, not just bad ones) so it just is. I don't feel restricted or am fighting anything, it's just how things are and no feeling of struggle or what not.

I'm not a big gym person either. I'll just do some simple body weight stuff and weights at home but nothing crazy. I also go out for brisk walks very often (almost daily) while listening to music or podcasts. It's easy and accessible for me to do and keep up. I just want to be functionally strong as I get older.

This has all become habit and hard to break. In my mind, all the "good" stuff I do far outweighs any "bad" stuff I might do here and there and I never feel restricted or in a battle for whatever. It works for me. Everyone should do whatever works for them.

If that works for you that's great. Like I said above, everyone should know their own psychology and do what works for them.

I've never had trouble with weight during my life but I've tried to be healthier as I get older. 95% of what I drink is water (make sure it's enough) and eat tons of fruits, fibers (also make sure it's enough), veggies, beans etc.. but I will eat junk if I feel like it at times but will also try and keep it out of the house at times too by saying no at the grocery store.

If your psychology works with mind over matter, discipline etc..that's great for you. Me I don't want to think of anything as a "battle," mind over matter or discipline or will power etc... for me I just have made it to a point that it's a habit (good habits are hard to break, not just bad ones) so it just is. I don't feel restricted or am fighting anything, it's just how things are and no feeling of struggle or what not.

I'm not a big gym person either. I'll just do some simple body weight stuff and weights at home but nothing crazy. I also go out for brisk walks very often (almost daily) while listening to music or podcasts. It's easy and accessible for me to do and keep up. I just want to be functionally strong as I get older.

This has all become habit and hard to break. In my mind, all the "good" stuff I do far outweighs any "bad" stuff I might do here and there and I never feel restricted or in a battle for whatever. It works for me. Everyone should do whatever works for them.
Well I think the general recipe is still there!

Make smart decisions about what you’re putting in your body
Move!
Hydrate.

Don’t get me wrong, I still eat comfort food occasionally, but it’s become the exception lately and not the norm.

But yes, I am a psycho so I enjoy the “battle” aspect lol

I developed a DVT last year and was diagnosed with a Factor 5 Blood disorder which has no cure is genetically inherited. I guess you and Bac and Proud are recommending that rather than turn to a potential pharma treatment I should just take my chances with a potential deadly lung clot which % significantly increases with age.
I got the same diagnosis about 12 years ago after my second DVT. Apparently, the genetic mutation that causes Factor 5 occurred somewhere in Norway, which is how I found out that I am part Norwegion. Unfortunately for me, the new generation of blood thinners do not work for me and I'm back to good old Warfarin. The good news is that the disorder and Warfarin have not prevented me from living a very active life style. Best of luck to you going forward.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I got the same diagnosis about 12 years ago after my second DVT. Apparently, the genetic mutation that causes Factor 5 occurred somewhere in Norway, which is how I found out that I am part Norwegion. Unfortunately for me, the new generation of blood thinners do not work for me and I'm back to good old Warfarin. The good news is that the disorder and Warfarin have not prevented me from living a very active life style. Best of luck to you going forward.

Best to you as well. My lead in was a 2-3 bouts of superficial clotting (just in my right lower leg) over the last 15 years or so. More recently moved up to my thigh area and then finally a formal DVT. I'm on a low dose of Eliquis (2.5mg) which seem to be working ok - at least based on last ultrasound and bloodwork.

Reactions: 93RUDoc
Best to you as well. My lead in was a 2-3 bouts of superficial clotting (just in my right lower leg) over the last 15 years or so. More recently moved up to my thigh area and then finally a formal DVT. I'm on a low dose of Eliquis (2.5mg) which seem to be working ok - at least based on last ultrasound and bloodwork.
Eliquis is a fantastic product. Good luck and stay compliant with the BID dosing!

An Eloquis failure is very rare so you should be okay. Just be vigilent in checking for any swelling or unexplained pain in your feet and lower leg areas.

Reactions: RUInsanity
A lot of F bombs in that, but Goggins makes you want to run through brick walls and believe you can do it. Amazing individual. Huberman has some really outstanding content. He, Peter Attia, Jason Fung, Ted Naiman, and a couple of others are leading the way to live a long, healthy life through proper diet, sleep, exercise, and if needed, medical intervention.

Reactions: 93RUDoc and Jm0513

You sound like you have it figured out pretty well. Walking is highly underrated and unappreciated. Just getting outside and away from the screens is worthwhile.

You might enjoy following Ted Naiman, MD on Twitter. He only does body weight exercise and is ripped. He is a proponent of leveraging protein and eating foods that have high satiety. Also, not an MD, but Jerry Texeira is a bodyweight exercises strength guy who is worth following. He has a YouTube channel with a lot of training videos, etc.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
You sound like you have it figured out pretty well. Walking is highly underrated and unappreciated. Just getting outside and away from the screens is worthwhile.

You might enjoy following Ted Naiman, MD on Twitter. He only does body weight exercise and is ripped. He is a proponent of leveraging protein and eating foods that have high satiety. Also, not an MD, but Jerry Texeira is a bodyweight exercises strength guy who is worth following. He has a YouTube channel with a lot of training videos, etc.

I like walking because it’s easier on the joints as I get older and I can do it frequently without too much issue. Just step out my door and go.

I’m not racing or anything but I try to push myself to whatever I can handle. Over the years just organically I’ve worked up to between 4-4.5mph walking and I’ve likely plateaued there. That’s fine for me though, my HR is up and I’m sweating quite a bit etc…so the exercise is doing its job in my mind. I try to push myself but not kill myself lol.

Oxford PhD/Harvard Med guy experiments on himself.
The vid is packed full of health stuff

Oreo Cookie Treatment Lowers LDL Cholesterol More Than High-Intensity Statin therapy in a Lean Mass Hyper-Responder on a Ketogenic Diet: A Curious Crossover Experiment​

Not the greatest source, but this story confirms the regimen/prescription if multiple MDs, dieticians, exercise physiologists, and scientific studies on aging well. 70% low intensity cardio, mix with bursts of high intensity cardio, and 2-3 days per week of strength training to failure. Consume 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight to preserve muscle mass.

Lol, Dr. Tro likes to rage against the system but this is hilarious and not far from being correct. Government guidelines are corrupt and crap. And funded by Big Food.

Reactions: ashokan
The article linked in this post on X nails it down. It was written by a UW gastroenterologist. Discusses how eating a healthy diet does same thing in gut microbiome as Ozempic, Wegovy, etc

Last edited:
I think people need to know what their goals are with respect to weight and health, and find what works for them, and stick with it. I know many people who go to the gym or a personal trainer very frequently and it works for so many of them. My preference is to work out at home. I spend 1-3 hours each day six days a week. In my basement I have free weights, resistance bands, a treadmill, and rowing machine. I also walk outside in good weather. My diet is poor by most standards (love pizza, pasta, all carbs) but I don’t eat anywhere near what I did years ago. I generally consume about 2100 calories a day with 80-90 grams protein. Full disclose, alcohol can be a wildcard for me in terms of caloric intake. . I lost 35 pounds over the past three years and I’m within 5 pounds of what I weighted when I graduated RU. Of course, it’s a lot easier being retired…

I think people need to know what their goals are with respect to weight and health, and find what works for them, and stick with it. I know many people who go to the gym or a personal trainer very frequently and it works for so many of them. My preference is to work out at home. I spend 1-3 hours each day six days a week. In my basement I have free weights, resistance bands, a treadmill, and rowing machine. I also walk outside in good weather. My diet is poor by most standards (love pizza, pasta, all carbs) but I don’t eat anywhere near what I did years ago. I generally consume about 2100 calories a day with 80-90 grams protein. Full disclose, alcohol can be a wildcard for me in terms of caloric intake. . I lost 35 pounds over the past three years and I’m within 5 pounds of what I weighted when I graduated RU. Of course, it’s a lot easier being retired…
You are way ahead of the curve than probably more than 90% of the population. And you have a terrific lawn! One of my favorite forms of exercise is yard maintenance, chopping and hauling firewood, etc.

I would not stress out over your diet and alcohol. My father had a saying- he would rather eat what he likes and die happy instead of eating like a bird and being miserable. He died less than 2 months after he turned 70. He never exercised, and his diet was extremely poor, leading to T2 diabetes. I don't want to go out like that. I have more people to torture with my existence, and I won't be able to accomplish that if I die at 70. 😂

You are way ahead of the curve than probably more than 90% of the population. And you have a terrific lawn! One of my favorite forms of exercise is yard maintenance, chopping and hauling firewood, etc.

I would not stress out over your diet and alcohol. My father had a saying- he would rather eat what he likes and die happy instead of eating like a bird and being miserable. He died less than 2 months after he turned 70. He never exercised, and his diet was extremely poor, leading to T2 diabetes. I don't want to go out like that. I have more people to torture with my existence, and I won't be able to accomplish that if I die at 70. 😂
Thanks. It definitely helps to enjoy both working out and yard work!

I don't "exercise" per say, but love being active: walking, hiking, biking. Calisthenics from time to time, but no weights or exercise equipment. I got back to my college weight about 6 years ago and have maintained + or - 2lbs since then. If I go under 2 lbs I treat myself a bit. If I go over 2 lbs I cut back. I don't calorie count, but make choices that minimize calories and keep me full for as long as possible.

In general, I have a very good diet and set eating routine. My one vice is potato chips. I still enjoy them every other day or so, but in moderation. 95% of my liquid intake is water (with various high quality fruit juices being the rest). No alcohol, no soda, no coffee, no caffeine, etc. Just don't like these things.

Something for folks to keep in mind is that as you age, you require less and less calories. I eat 2 less items a day now than I did 6 years ago after getting to my current weight. You need to be conscious of this and adjust as needed.

For me it's been three weeks and I'm down 10 pounds here is what I'm trying :

1) As people said above : keep the bad foods out of the house. This is easier with the holidays over and an empty nest.
2) Scott Adams (the Dilbert creator) had a good piece of advice, he said that he eats as much as he wants and doesn't gain weight. He just changed the food he likes. So I'm only eating lean meats, beans, some nuts, fruits and vegetables and right now I'm eating when ever I feel hungry, no restrictions, but instead of something "bad" I grab fruit vegetables or some prepared meal.
3) Plan. Plan shopping and prepare meals. When cooking cook extra so it's there for you to grab.
4) Get my ass to the Gym. (still working to be consistent on this)

This for me is not a diet but I want to change the way I go about eating and what I eat. I'm not going to worry about losing weight, I'm concentrating on creating a system, get the system correct and the weight will follow.
Be careful with the nuts. I can keep almonds around because I limit the intake but if we have cashews or pistachios in the house all bets are off. Nuts are great but they are high in calories.

Not the greatest source, but this story confirms the regimen/prescription if multiple MDs, dieticians, exercise physiologists, and scientific studies on aging well. 70% low intensity cardio, mix with bursts of high intensity cardio, and 2-3 days per week of strength training to failure. Consume 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight to preserve muscle mass.

My wife is an exercise physiologist and she reminds me when I tip the scales that weeding and other household chores are better than actual exercise and that watching tv is worse than everything else.

My wife is an exercise physiologist and she reminds me when I tip the scales that weeding and other household chores are better than actual exercise and that watching tv is worse than everything else.
Wait. Weeding is better for you (talking cardiovascular component here) than the five mile trail run I just completed?

Wait. Weeding is better for you (talking cardiovascular component here) than the five mile trail run I just completed?
Are you familiar with zone 2 exercise. Depending on how large @tom1944 's weeds are and how he does his weeding (maybe he does burpees in between pulls?), you can get some zone 2 cardio and stretching/stability/core work in by weeding.
I take it you are not in NJ? It's pouring rain today.

Are you familiar with zone 2 exercise. Depending on how large @tom1944 's weeds are and how he does his weeding (maybe he does burpees in between pulls?), you can get some zone 2 cardio and stretching/stability/core work in by weeding.
I take it you are not in NJ? It's pouring rain today.
I highly doubt he's doing burpees to get zone 2 cardio or he would have stated that. I am north NJ. Five miles in 36 degree weather, rain, mud, and wet leaves coating the trail.

I highly doubt he's doing burpees to get zone 2 cardio or he would have stated that. I am north NJ. Five miles in 36 degree weather, rain, mud, and wet leaves coating the trail.
The burpees was a joke. Kudos to you. I slogged 2 hours in the mud and slippery trails on my mountain bike yesterday for 20 miles.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Activity. You can do those things like weeding, gardening and other household chores for more time than you do exercise.

The doing more movement for chores is in comparison to the exercise program the majority of people do. For example 3 or 4 days a week for an hour each session.

I am not comparing it to the time I ran 30-35 miles a week.

I should add it replaces sitting and watching television

Last edited:
I hear a lot about "Zone 2" and parts of it make sense.
I always heard hard training creates cortisol and walking doesn't and that's a good point.
It still sounds a little trendy though
I know lot of hard labor guys with guts
I also think weights are a must
Burns more cals/carbs and creates growth hormone, testosterone etc.
Being strong is amazing

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT