ADVERTISEMENT

OT: oh oh oh Ozempic !

Activity. You can do those things like weeding, gardening and other household chores for more time than you do exercise.

The doing more movement for chores is in comparison to the exercise program the majority of people do. For example 3 or 4 days a week for an hour each session.

I am not comparing it to the time I ran 30-35 miles a week.

I should add it replaces sitting and watching television
I realize staying active throughout the day is very beneficial to overall health. I was responding to your statement that household chores are better than actual exercise. There was no mention of duration of the chores. Of course you could engage for longer periods if the activity isn't as strenuous and the benefits are worthwhile. I was also thinking that after my exercise, I still have my damn household chores to complete anyway, so I get double the fun.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I realize staying active throughout the day is very beneficial to overall health. I was responding to your statement that household chores are better than actual exercise. There was no mention of duration of the chores. Of course you could engage for longer periods if the activity isn't as strenuous and the benefits are worthwhile. I was also thinking that after my exercise, I still have my damn household chores to complete anyway, so I get double the fun.
My wife’s point to her clients and me is 3 days of exercise for an hour and then sitting and watching hours of tv is not the answer.

I type this as my wife is upstairs cleaning and I’m in the basement watching 6+ hours of football in the basement

Activity. You can do those things like weeding, gardening and other household chores for more time than you do exercise.

The doing more movement for chores is in comparison to the exercise program the majority of people do. For example 3 or 4 days a week for an hour each session.

I am not comparing it to the time I ran 30-35 miles a week.

I should add it replaces sitting and watching television
Yea it’s like those “blue zones” around the world. I’ve read about it before and Netflix released a series on it recently. People in those areas aren’t going to the gym or what not but just going about their daily activities and being active in that manner.

Personally I’m less about intensity and more about consistency and accessibility which is why I like brisk walking. I want to push but not overly so and it’s easier on the joints (especially knees) and accessible to do just about daily.

With wearables, I’ve become a step counter too. Used to do 15-20K steps a day between walks and regular activity which translated to about 1000 or so calories (not that I cared much since I’m not overweight at all) according to the watch. In the last year or so, I’ve pulled back because I was losing weight unintentionally so now it’s about 7500-10000 steps which is about 600 calories or so. Now my weight has come back up to a place where I want it.

I think strength exercises are important too because you lose muscle mass as you get older. I don’t need to be Mr Universe but just to stay functionally strong with age.

Whatever it is an individual does,, just finding ways that work for him/her to build consistency is the important thing imo.

Nice! I need to get back into mountain biking. I used to race back in the day.
I'm not a racer, but I find hills and challenges. 1.5 hours of the ride is at 80% max heart rate or higher. The exercise gurus say that one should spend more time in zone 2, but I enjoy "sprinting" up the hills. We have a great trail system that I can hit from my house without putting the bike in the truck. The things I like more about mountain biking than road riding are not having to deal with motor vehicles and the twists, turns, jumps, bridges, etc that make it more challenging and fun than on a road.

Yea it’s like those “blue zones” around the world. I’ve read about it before and Netflix released a series on it recently. People in those areas aren’t going to the gym or what not but just going about their daily activities and being active in that manner.

Personally I’m less about intensity and more about consistency and accessibility which is why I like brisk walking. I want to push but not overly so and it’s easier on the joints (especially knees) and accessible to do just about daily.

With wearables, I’ve become a step counter too. Used to do 15-20K steps a day between walks and regular activity which translated to about 1000 or so calories (not that I cared much since I’m not overweight at all) according to the watch. In the last year or so, I’ve pulled back because I was losing weight unintentionally so now it’s about 7500-10000 steps which is about 600 calories or so. Now my weight has come back up to a place where I want it.

I think strength exercises are important too because you lose muscle mass as you get older. I don’t need to be Mr Universe but just to stay functionally strong with age.

Whatever it is an individual does,, just finding ways that work for him/her to build consistency is the important thing imo.
Body weight exercises are completely fine. Air squats, wall squats for legs, pullups/chinups, push ups and hand stand pushup ups will hit all of the muscle groups you would hit with barbells/dumbells, maybe not as isolated, but still fine for most people not looking to be Mr. Universe, but to maintain/build a reasonable amount of strength.

I just started a 5/3/1 program that was developed by power lifter Jim Wendler. The basic 5/3/1 is 3 days per week, 2 exercises per day.
Monday is Squat/Bench Press; Wednesday is Dead LIft/Overhead Press; Friday is Bench Press/Squat. The only thing missing with body weight exercise is dead lift. If someone wanted to get creative, they could do sets of lifting a box full of textbooks to and from the floor in sets.

The biggest thing is consistency, which is the enemy of most people. It killed my regimen at the end of November, and it took me 2 weeks of dogging strength training to develop a new plan with a different set of goals. Onward/upward.

I'm not a racer, but I find hills and challenges. 1.5 hours of the ride is at 80% max heart rate or higher. The exercise gurus say that one should spend more time in zone 2, but I enjoy "sprinting" up the hills. We have a great trail system that I can hit from my house without putting the bike in the truck. The things I like more about mountain biking than road riding are not having to deal with motor vehicles and the twists, turns, jumps, bridges, etc that make it more challenging and fun than on a road.
Nice. I have been debating about getting back on my retro 26" Factory Homegrown and hitting the trails. That vs. buying a new 29er. I wouldn't even mind getting back into racing a little. That's great you have trails right near the house. The trail system I ran today is the closest to me and is about 2 miles from my house. I can either ride there as a warmup or throw it in the back of the car.

Nice. I have been debating about getting back on my retro 26" Factory Homegrown and hitting the trails. That vs. buying a new 29er. I wouldn't even mind getting back into racing a little. That's great you have trails right near the house. The trail system I ran today is the closest to me and is about 2 miles from my house. I can either ride there as a warmup or throw it in the back of the car.
I started on a 26er (LOL)-it was a gift from a neighbor when I found running too messed up after a nephrectomy surgery 10 years ago. After that, never turned back because riding was much more fun and seems less like work/exercise. Been blessed with great trail systems close by when we lived in mid-Monmouth (Hartshorne Woods) and now in South Monmouth (Allaire Trails).
About 7 years ago bought a 27.5er and have stuck with that here. We go to Sedona several times a year for hiking and mountain biking and I finally caved and bought a nice Marin 29er, and it makes a huge difference going over rocky trails. Out here, not a big deal, except for the infrequent logs to go over. I'd have no hesitation going back to my 26er, a Specialized Stump Jumper full suspension. My 27.5er is not even full suspension, as I don't feel the need to have the full suspension because the trails are not that bumpy.

family guy vomit GIF

Reactions: bac2therac

I rode a 26" for twelve years.
They are ok for tight turns on cramped trails.
Once I got a 29" it was like magic.
They really roll fast and go over things.
I ride on the road a lot (Serfas Drifter tires are amazing - no knobs for me - too unstable at velocity) and the local roads are worse than the trails.

Totally random, but game, set match? Or is it because he is a snake himself? 🤔

Yikes - Rattlesnake bites can cost 200k+

RFK Jr was a local for a long time.

He was working on Hudson River clean-up without being one of the ninnies saying Indian Point nuke was killing a billion fish a year ( but nobody even saw a dead fish anywhere).

I just listened to a podcast of his on Saturday and it was pretty amazing
He described the DC anthrax cases where pols pot the real poison and not the "white substance."
Those events came during Patriot Act hearings
He said it was latter learned the Anthrax was a US agency version.

His guest explained that 50k poisoned ticks were inserted into Cuban farms after the failed Bay of Pigs.
They guy (Willy Burgdorfer) who discovered Lyme was a an expert who did bio-weapon research for US.
I always wondered why agencies like CDC go nuts over measles while basically ignoring Lyme.
I can see why now,

RFK Jr Podcast with Kris Newby (article of hers linked below)

You are becoming NewJerseyGuy 2.0. Now just posting random tweets and messages. LOL!

Funniest thing is Mr. Nuance posted a definitive tweet regarding "Walking away from Big Pharma for good and not looking back!"

My question is....do they culture their own penicillin or do they just wait for an infection to turn gangrenous and have it cut out? Perhaps leeches and blood letting?

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Corporate fraud shills shilling for Big Food and Big Pharma in MSM. Thought they worried about misinformation?

Unfortunately people buy the purported "science" crap propagated by garbage publications like the NYT and WaPoop--the one from the NYT Apoorva is just dreadful-but this is about the WaPoop one:

Corporate fraud shills shilling for Big Food and Big Pharma in MSM. Thought they worried about misinformation?

Unfortunately people buy the purported "science" crap propagated by garbage publications like the NYT and WaPoop--the one from the NYT Apoorva is just dreadful-but this is about the WaPoop one:

As bad as all that is - I'm learning its worse - much worse.
Tucker had on a fellow who is former State Dept and an expert on the cyber-sphere freedoms/threats.
The media, socials, academics, IC, NGOs et al have all been sucked down a black hole of mass control.
They have their own collective agenda and are making sure "the people" don't get in the way.
They were running "Weapons of Mass Deletion" to censor millions.
Nobody with a brain will see life in US the same after hearing this guy.
Tucker said his mind was blown (and his emails were hacked a second time last week).
Certainly a lot of "science" has been garbage

30 million views on twitter in a few days

Last edited:

I've harped on here for years about how evil Monsanto is. Who in the US Government thought it was a good idea to give a company that got its start making Agent Orange control over our food supply? People you are eating Round Up, and no one can stop them, because they now own the Government.

I wouldn't have a lot of faith in what Frame Game has to say!

Nothing new in that - same old defamation salad meant to counter a truth teller. Most people are keen to this game now. "Alt right" just means someone who sees McConnell almost as bad as the crash test dummy. "Racist" means real borders to keep the destroyers out. Even former immigrants want that. Calling a Jew 'antisemitic" is a new one though.

OTGO1mw.jpeg

I've harped on here for years about how evil Monsanto is. Who in the US Government thought it was a good idea to give a company that got its start making Agent Orange control over our food supply? People you are eating Round Up, and no one can stop them, because they now own the Government.

I've read that the huge population of people who struggle with gluten are really reacting to the chemicals used to grow some crops. I've read Round Up is good for keeping weeds down when crops are short in height. Once above a certain level the weeds dont matter

Yes, you got it right. I'm glad you did not come back at me hot. This is a topic that I am heavily vested in, and I have read an extensive amount of scientific papers on the importance of diet as a root cause in addressing conditions. However, for something serious such as DVT, pharma may be the first line approach. Obesity and diabetes? I am confident that proper diet and exercise would cure a large majority of the cases. But big pharma is pushing a shiny new toy, and it is an expensive one that generates lots of revenue for pharma and docs. Diet and exercise does nothing for them, so for many docs, it is a last line defense .

Gary Taubes just released a new book called Rethinking Diabetes, and this is a good place to start. Dr Jason Fung has published several books on the benefits of diet and fasting on the effects of disease.

I don’t know. Is it Pharmas fault? They create products that people need or want. Exercise and diet have been cures for these issues for decades yet people just don’t do it. Either they are lazy, have mental or physical issues that preclude them from doing what’s necessary. So the drug companies fix a switch that isn’t and hasn’t been working in forever. I would certainly prefer people hit the gym and eat healthy but American obesity has been a problem for decades.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
I don’t know. Is it Pharmas fault? They create products that people need or want. Exercise and diet have been cures for these issues for decades yet people just don’t do it. Either they are lazy, have mental or physical issues that preclude them from doing what’s necessary. So the drug companies fix a switch that isn’t and hasn’t been working in forever. I would certainly prefer people hit the gym and eat healthy but American obesity has been a problem for decades.
Fair questions, and IMO, it's a combination of source of fault- the medical profession, big pharma and big food. Processed food is a huge contributor to obesity. The foods are chemically formulated so that many people will overeat and become obese. There's one jackass who I have on ignore who says it's the individual's fault for getting obese. But IMO (and a lot of others), it's not that simple. Similar to alcohol and drugs, some can not consume drugs/alcohol at all, and some can drink in moderation without developing a problem. Same thing for processed food.

In years of going to family doctors, not one gave concrete and useful advice on how to eat to maintain or lose weight. The media (magazines, newspapers, TV, social media) puts out a lot of misinformation. Government agencies and major universities are funded by big Food companies, and they have no incentive to promote healthy eating.

There are functional medicine doctors (a rare bunch) who promote healthy eating and lifestyle through a focus on eating the proper amount of protein (about 1 g of protein per pound of body weight) and a reasonable amount of healthy vegetables, while minimizing (preferably eliminating) highly processed foods (pastas, breads, chips, etc) and sugar-laden garbage "food". This is 80% of the battle. Add in a moderate amount of exercise, and obesity is not an issue. Sounds easy in principle, but finding that answer and adhering to this is not simple for most people because the quick and easy foods are often the least healthy.

So the medical profession throws ups their hands, and start writing scripts for things like Ozempic when the side effects and long term issues of taking these drugs are unknown. The system is broken, and big food and big pharma have no incentive to fix it.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Fair questions, and IMO, it's a combination of source of fault- the medical profession, big pharma and big food. Processed food is a huge contributor to obesity. The foods are chemically formulated so that many people will overeat and become obese. There's one jackass who I have on ignore who says it's the individual's fault for getting obese. But IMO (and a lot of others), it's not that simple. Similar to alcohol and drugs, some can not consume drugs/alcohol at all, and some can drink in moderation without developing a problem. Same thing for processed food.

In years of going to family doctors, not one gave concrete and useful advice on how to eat to maintain or lose weight. The media (magazines, newspapers, TV, social media) puts out a lot of misinformation. Government agencies and major universities are funded by big Food companies, and they have no incentive to promote healthy eating.

There are functional medicine doctors (a rare bunch) who promote healthy eating and lifestyle through a focus on eating the proper amount of protein (about 1 g of protein per pound of body weight) and a reasonable amount of healthy vegetables, while minimizing (preferably eliminating) highly processed foods (pastas, breads, chips, etc) and sugar-laden garbage "food". This is 80% of the battle. Add in a moderate amount of exercise, and obesity is not an issue. Sounds easy in principle, but finding that answer and adhering to this is not simple for most people because the quick and easy foods are often the least healthy.

So the medical profession throws ups their hands, and start writing scripts for things like Ozempic when the side effects and long term issues of taking these drugs are unknown. The system is broken, and big food and big pharma have no incentive to fix it.

That should say 1 g of protein per Kg of body weight.

That should say 1 g of protein per Kg of body weight.
No. That's too low for older people. More crap government advice. That protein target was set during WW 2 and is outdated.

I should have specified for those 40 and older. Higher protein intake and resistance exercise counteracts sarcopenia. YMMV.

LOL. Like clockwork these med schools with their "theories"-great thread on new Nature Metabolism article indicating too much protein may increase cardiovascular risk.

Either they are lazy, have mental or physical issues that preclude them from doing what’s necessary.

That's a big part of it. The fact that there's a market for "easy" exercise equipment (much of it hawked on TV) says it all. Exercise is not easy: anything that's easy is not giving you the workout you need.

And as alluded to numerous times above, diet also plays a role (that's a gluten free roll) in all of this. And the willingness to limit or change what you eat.

I'm in my late 60's and I lift weights in a gym 5 days per week and I also take 5 spin classes (45 minutes) per week. My wife is a clinical dietitian and mostly prepares healthy and balanced meals. My weight lifting is mostly old school bodybuilding training designed for increasing and /or maintaining muscle size rather than for functional strenght, as opposed to someone who does cross-fit training. I am also in my basement every night hitting golf balls into a net for a bout 45 minutes. Yet, I'm 20lbs overweight because of the shear quantity of food I eat. At least I know what I need to work on to lose weight. LOL

Some good points but you are basically railing against a capitalist system that places monetary incentives for everything. FDA and other agencies attempt to regulate etc. question then becomes are public plans better. Some would say yes with less ingenuity. So no perfect system yet life spans continue to go up. Well except for the US.

But I totally agree that we can solve a lot with diet and exercise which again comes back to the individual.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT