ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Outdoor dining

We will be heading to BPG soon! WG still isn't open for outdoor dining yet. By the way, is Salt the place that took over the old Panico location?
Yes, I believe so. Went there for drinks and apps, really liked it. Looking forward to going back.

How was the outdoor dining set-up?

It was good. We were on the street level on the corner facing Pine. On Nassau they had more tables and then had the big windows open with tables in there also. Seemed like they had stuff upstairs as well. Any news on what's going in Montgomery Place/CVS plaza?They put up a new building quick I saw.

We will be heading to BPG soon! WG still isn't open for outdoor dining yet. By the way, is Salt the place that took over the old Panico location?

Yes it is. Heard very good things about it.

It was good. We were on the street level on the corner facing Pine. On Nassau they had more tables and then had the big windows open with tables in there also. Seemed like they had stuff upstairs as well. Any news on what's going in Montgomery Place/CVS plaza?They put up a new building quick I saw.

Yes it is. Heard very good things about it.
Were the sidewalks on Pine closed? Or was there enough room for people to walk by and keep a distance?

As for Monty Place, I spoke to the developer last week. He said the commercial rental process is dead in the water for now. However, I've heard indirectly that Panera is considering this location now (yes, the Promenade is on hold again. D'oh!). Monty Place has approval for another pad site with a drive thru. FYI, that new building is a 10,000 daycare center. Great location with so many families within walking distance!

Reactions: Zak57
Were the sidewalks on Pine closed? Or was there enough room for people to walk by and keep a distance?

As for Monty Place, I spoke to the developer last week. He said the commercial rental process is dead in the water for now. However, I've heard indirectly that Panera is considering this location now (yes, the Promenade is on hold again. D'oh!). Monty Place has approval for another pad site with a drive thru. FYI, that new building is a 10,000 daycare center. Great location with so many families within walking distance!

Sidewalk wasn't closed. Our table was tucked into the window so I felt fine but I had the inside seat. They did a good job.

Makes sense on the daycare! For the promenade I saw they got rid of the construction trailer so figured that was done again.

Now that we are "allowed" to participate in outdoor dining has anyone partaken yet? For those into "science" how does the virus not effect anyone eating? The tables are 6 feet apart and masks are down. Is there an invisible barrier that prevents the wind from blowing beyond 6 feet? And why when you stand up and use the restroom or leave you have to put your mask on? I'll pass on outdoor dining for now and just stick to going to work and heading to Shop Rite. Some days I am daring and head into the Belle Mead Co-Op for supplies. And Sunday....wait for it.... I was allowed to attend church.

being separated by 6 feet or so will cause any virus particles to dissipate. You need a large number of them to be effectively spread to others. So its not impossible to catch it from someone 6 feet away, but it's unlikely.

Im for helping small businesses and all but...

Other towns/cities are probably doing this as well. But Jersey City closing down streets and taking up parking spaces downtown so that restaurants can have outdoor parking is idiotic. Traffic is bad enough already but closing more streets up is going to be bad for traffic. Even worse is parking, which is like Platinum Gold in that area. But hey... NYers must have their mimosas and onion omelettes in the sun, eh?

Reactions: bac2therac

Other towns/cities are probably doing this as well. But Jersey City closing down streets and taking up parking spaces downtown so that restaurants can have outdoor parking is idiotic. Traffic is bad enough already but closing more streets up is going to be bad for traffic. Even worse is parking, which is like Platinum Gold in that area. But hey... NYers must have their mimosas and onion omelettes in the sun, eh?
I agree if it messes things up and makes them worse.

Hopefully this kind of idea was really thought through by the municipalities that plan to do this.

Quick question. We are planning a weekday day trip to Spring Lake beach and their daily beach badges are broken into 6 sections. Section 1 is next to Sea Girt, Section 6 is next to Belmar. Facilities are in sections 2 and 5. Any recommendation? Not sure if this link will work:
https://d1wc0xwfo04ccn.cloudfront.net/SpringLake/assets/doc_mgr/4363555.pdf?ts=20200609053356

I'm thinking section 1?
As of now you are still allowed to eat on the beach. A concession because of COVID-19. Normally that is forbidden and while you could bring a cooler you had to eat on the boardwalk...there are picnic tables at both pavilions.

This could have changed as of today since the pools at of the pavilions are now open. Those require a special badge and are not open to the public. Hopefully the upstairs (which is open to the public) at each of them are open too...great place to eat with a spectacular view.

Both pavilions have a snack bar that offers hot food and sells stuff you might have forgotten to bring (lotion, chairs, umbrellas, sunglasses, t-shirts, etc.). Obviously expensive. If you’re going to buy her one thing and they have them in stock get her a Spring Lake Junior Guard rash guard. Very cute.

I would pick Zone 5 since that puts you in close proximity to the North Pavilion which was rebuilt a few years ago. Newer, nicer and much bigger bathrooms.

You are also a little closer to Belmar if you guys wanted something to eat before you go home.

Parking shouldn’t really be that much of an issue and is free.

And if you have never been, make sure you drive around town. The North End is the older part of town with more established landscapes. The South End (particularly close to the Ocean) is where the old and very grand beach front hotels used to be. They are all gone except for the Essex and Sussex which has transformed into a 55 and over place. The business district is on Third Avenue. Nice little downtown. Make sure you check out St. Catherine’s Church. Which is actually on Spring Lake. Hopefully it’s open and you can peek inside.

Any other questions, let me know.

Last edited:
As of now you are still allowed to eat on the beach. A concession because of COVID-19. Normally that is forbidden and while you could bring a cooler you had to eat on the boardwalk...there are picnic tables at both pavilions.

This could have changed as of today since the pools at of the pavilions are now open. Those require a special badge and are not open to the public. Hopefully the upstairs (which is open to the public) at each of them are open too...great place to eat with a spectacular view.

Both pavilions have a snack bar that offers hot food and sells stuff you might have forgotten to bring (lotion, chairs, umbrellas, sunglasses, t-shirts, etc.). Obviously expensive. If you’re going to buy her one thing and they have them in stock get her a Spring Lake Junior Guard rash guard. Very cute.

I would pick Zone 5 since that puts you in close proximity to the North Pavilion which was rebuilt a few years ago. Newer, nicer and much bigger bathrooms.

You are also a little closer to Belmar if you guys wanted something to eat before you go home.

And if you have never been, make sure you drive around town. The North End is the older part of town with more established landscapes. The South End (particularly close to the Ocean) is where the old and very grand beach front hotels used to be. They are all gone except for the Essex and Sussex which has transformed into a 55 and over place. The business district is on Third Avenue. Nice little downtown. Make sure you check out St. Catherine’s Church. Which is actually on Spring Lake. Hopefully it’s open and you can peek inside.

Great info, thanks so much!

Great info, thanks so much!
As of today, after a quick dip in both the ocean and pool, upstairs is still not accessible to the public.

The North End pavilion concession stand just has food (hot and cold) but isn’t selling any of the stuff I mentioned earlier.

I still recommend Zone 5 for the reasons I said before.

Again, any questions feel free to PM me or ask in the thread.

Last edited:
As of today, after a quick dip in both the ocean and pool, upstairs is still not accessible to the public. lol

The North End pavilion concession stand just has food (hot and cold) but isn’t selling any of the stuff I mentioned earlier.

I still recommend Zone 5 for the reasons I said before.

Again, any questions feel free to PM me or ask in the thread.
How is the Monday/weekday crowd?

Don't get me started about not buying real estate in Spring Lake.
Estate sale with the really 'little old lady with cats' and the kids just wanted to sell for 38,000. Or the BIG one with a garage apt for 85,000. My know it all BIL talked me out of both and another home in Sea Girt with water damage for 42,000.

Location, Location, Location.

Two Troopers asked me where to look when they wanted to move to the Shore, every Trooper was telling them Brick or Lacey Twsp. I said Sea Girt or Spring Lane. One bought in each, years later I saw them at different times and they both bought us dinner at Rod's. "Thanks, Big Will.".

Reactions: knightfan7
IMO the best seafood restaurant in NJ. Good seafood places are few and far between especially down the shore. Had reservations for Salt in New Brunswick on my wife’s birthday March 13, but that was the day after all he’ll broke loose, lol. Hope to get back there sometime soon.

Sounds like one of those places where they give you tiny portions with fancy garnish and change you an arm and a leg for the “upscale” experience. Went to frog and peach a couple years back. What a rip off. I’d rather cook my own food and save the money.

Sounds like one of those places where they give you tiny portions with fancy garnish and change you an arm and a leg for the “upscale” experience. Went to frog and peach a couple years back. What a rip off. I’d rather cook my own food and save the money.
Haven’t had dinner there yet but intend to, so we shall see.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Estate sale with the really 'little old lady with cats' and the kids just wanted to sell for 38,000. Or the BIG one with a garage apt for 85,000. My know it all BIL talked me out of both and another home in Sea Girt with water damage for 42,000.

Two Troopers asked me where to look when they wanted to move to the Shore, every Trooper was telling them Brick or Lacey Twsp. I said Sea Girt or Spring Lane. One bought in each, years later I saw them at different times and they both bought us dinner at Rod's. "Thanks, Big Will.".
How old are you, 100? Real estate hasn’t been that cheap in Spring Lake since the 50’s.

I don’t see bars mentioned there or music?

I thought the same thing, but when I was down the shore this weekend a few bartenders I know believe that if they have food you will be able to sit at the bar with 6' in between the stools. Approximately 2 empty stools between people.

I drove past The Landing on Amwell Rd. last night. There was a decent crowd on the patio and additional tables on the grass but they were scattering because of rain. For some reason, I'm really looking forward to just having a few beers while sitting at a bar.

grabbed a beer at the landing friday around 5 as was there to get take out. felt fantastic. even had live soccer on tv. early = less crowded so didnt feel overwhelmed

Reactions: T2Kplus10

Is this serious or are you making a joke? Haha

How old are you, 100? Real estate hasn’t been that cheap in Spring Lake since the 50’s.
Why does anyone doubt me ?

The little old lady had multiple cats and wall to wall carpeting. Every corner that faced out, the cats had used as scratching posts. So the whole house needed to be re-sheet rocked, all carpet and subflooring replaced and it was on Third Ave (high traffic). But it DID sell for 38K.
The Big one for 85, was behind a B & B and was HUGE, last time I went thru was under new construction. Gil McDougal's house in the Spanish style sold for 85. The one in Sea Girt had been a summer rental with a third floor sink that had leaked thru the plaster walls and ceilings below and make the hard wood floor in the first floor, under the wall to wall to warp into 2 foot waves under the carpet. Sold for 42. But a total gut job.
We bought our home on River Rd in Wall on spec from local builder for 42, brand new and a 2 k tax credit at the time.

Here's another story about speed, that will get one here in particular;
I am the only person I know that has flown a F-4 Phantom at Mach 2.0.

Why does anyone doubt me ?

The little old lady had multiple cats and wall to wall carpeting. Every corner that faced out, the cats had used as scratching posts. So the whole house needed to be re-sheet rocked, all carpet and subflooring replaced and it was on Third Ave (high traffic). But it DID sell for 38K.
The Big one for 85, was behind a B & B and was HUGE, last time I went thru was under new construction. Gil McDougal's house in the Spanish style sold for 85. The one in Sea Girt had been a summer rental with a third floor sink that had leaked thru the plaster walls and ceilings below and make the hard wood floor in the first floor, under the wall to wall to warp into 2 foot waves under the carpet. Sold for 42. But a total gut job.
We bought our home on River Rd in Wall on spec from local builder for 42, brand new and a 2 k tax credit at the time.

Here's another story about speed, that will get one here in particular;
I am the only person I know that has flown a F-4 Phantom at Mach 2.0.

I remember when you could get oceanfront here for not much more than $35-40k, cheaper away from the beach.

Then American Timber decided to unload the land and some folks couldn't afford the price and had to walk away.

Reactions: BigWill
I'm convinced @BigWill 's alter ego is this guy.

giphy.gif

Just busting chops BigWill. :Wink:

The parking they are taking up is the parking right in front of their stores/restaurants. It makes complete sense to use that space to try and keep those places in business. What would be the point of preserving parking and good traffic flow to an area that now has no open stores because everything went out of business?

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I agree if it messes things up and makes them worse.

What is it making worse? Traffic? I live in JC traffic is fine. Parking is also fine as those spaces were rarely used by residents and no one is driving in.

The alternative is a whole bunch of out of business signs.

Everyone always seems to think parking and through traffic is critical, and yet the most vibrant places never have parking and are mostly closed to through traffic.

What is it making worse? Traffic? I live in JC traffic is fine. Parking is also fine as those spaces were rarely used by residents and no one is driving in.

The alternative is a whole bunch of out of business signs.

Everyone always seems to think parking and through traffic is critical, and yet the most vibrant places never have parking and are mostly closed to through traffic.
Dealing with traffic and changes because of it is a very important part of my job.

As long as the left hand is talking to the right, we can adapt. It’s the disconnect that causes the problems, sometimes big ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUsSKii
The parking they are taking up is the parking right in front of their stores/restaurants. It makes complete sense to use that space to try and keep those places in business. What would be the point of preserving parking and good traffic flow to an area that now has no open stores because everything went out of business?
What if the residents live in the same neighborhood? Where are they supposed to park?

What if the residents live in the same neighborhood? Where are they supposed to park?
It's Grove St and Newark Ave, very few actual residents on those streets. Also, cities all over the world close streets for all sorts of reasons and somehow survive. I'm sure JC can figure out a way to survive losing .001 of their parking spaces.

JC opened parking in school lots when this all started. And most people in that area don't have a car or park off street. Before this happened you would be circling for a spot in that area for sometime.

Most people going to the restaurants are walking, ubering or taking the PATH in.

My daughter insists on going there whenever she's in town. More often these days she picks up the tab.

Win-Win lol.

A long time ago I was in Rods with a group of people. We were talking football when 1 guy points to a gentleman and says if I like talking CFB I should talk to that guy. Says he played for Cuse and has a son at Illinois. From the board I knew it was you. I thought of walking over and say Hi but you looked busy with your own conversation so I passed.

So many years later Hey Will lol.
My daughter insists on going there whenever she's in town. More often these days she picks up the tab.

Win-Win lol.

A long time ago I was in Rods with a group of people. We were talking football when 1 guy points to a gentleman and says if I like talking CFB I should talk to that guy. Says he played for Cuse and has a son at Illinois. From the board I knew it was you. I thought of walking over and say Hi but you looked busy with your own conversation so I passed.

So many years later Hey Will lol.
Rod's acquired by Chef's International. That group is growing. Tagging @e5fdny

https://starnewsgroup.com/2020/06/25/chefs-international-acquires-rods-olde-irish-tavern/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT