ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Pats vs Eagles Who Do You Root For?

Getting coffee this morning, I saw the New York Post sports headline.... "worst Super Bowl ever..."

I checked, but there has never been a Super Bowl where the stadium fell into a black hole and took both teams with it. But hey, anything's possible.

If you are looking for a reason:

Rutgers Representatives in this year's Super Bowl:

Devin McCourty - going for his 3rd Super Bowl ring
Duron Harmon - going for his 3rd Super Bowl ring
Kenny Britt - cut by the Browns 12/8/2017 and signed by the Patriots five days later. He is currently on the inactive list.

And remember:

On January 22, 2017, the New England Patriots defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers 36 to 15 and the Atlanta Falcons defeated the Green Bay Packers 44 to 21 to win the AFC and NFC Championships, respectively, and to meet in Super Bowl LI in Houston, Texas on February 4, 2017. Four former Rutgers players were in the game that tied Alabama, Stanford and LSU with the most of any college. Receiver Mohammed Sanu was on Atlanta and safeties Devin McCourty, Duron Harmon and cornerback Logan Ryan was on New England. Patriots linebacker Dwight Freeney was also from Rutgers but was on the injured reserve list during the Super Bowl.

Fun fact: The Eagles could become the first team to lose to the Patriots in the Super Bowl twice. In 2004 they had home field throughout and beat the Vikings and the Falcons to get to the Super Bowl. This year they had home field throughout and beat the Falcons and the Vikings to get to the Super Bowl.

Reactions: redking
which team has the most Super Bowl losses? It's a tie between the Denver Broncos, Minnesota Vikings and Buffalo Bills, who all have four losses each.

Eagles going for #3

1980: The Eagles traveled to New Orleans for Super Bowl XV and were heavy favorites to knock off the Oakland Raiders, who were merely a wild card team. Things did not go the Eagles' way, beginning with the disastrous decision by Tose to bring comedian Don Rickles into the pregame locker room to lighten the mood. Jaworski's first pass was intercepted by Rod Martin, setting up an Oakland touchdown. Later in the first quarter, a potential game-tying 40-yard touchdown pass to Rodney Parker was nullified by an illegal motion penalty. The final score was 27-10. Veteran journeyman quarterback Jim Plunkett was named the game's MVP.

2004: With two Super Bowl wins under their belt, the defending champion New England Patriots were heavily favored. McNabb had a great game with 357 yards and three touchdowns, but he also threw three interceptions. Terell Owens returned despite his injury, and caught 122 yards on 9 catches. The game was a defensive struggle through the third quarter, but in the fourth, the Patriots took the lead, with the Eagles trailing ten points. The early game struggle left everyone exhausted, and for his best efforts, McNabb scored one touchdown, but could not get the team within field goal range on the final drive. He was picked off in the closing seconds of the game. The final score was 24-21, and the Patriots had won their third Super Bowl in four years.

Fun fact: The Eagles could become the first team to lose to the Patriots in the Super Bowl twice. In 2004 they had home field throughout and beat the Vikings and the Falcons to get to the Super Bowl. This year they had home field throughout and beat the Falcons and the Vikings to get to the Super Bowl.

And who was the lone former Rutgers player on that 2004 Super Bowl bound Philadelphia Eagles team?

which team has the most Super Bowl losses? It's a tie between the Denver Broncos, Minnesota Vikings and Buffalo Bills, who all have four losses each.

Eagles going for #3

1980: The Eagles traveled to New Orleans for Super Bowl XV and were heavy favorites to knock off the Oakland Raiders, who were merely a wild card team. Things did not go the Eagles' way, beginning with the disastrous decision by Tose to bring comedian Don Rickles into the pregame locker room to lighten the mood. Jaworski's first pass was intercepted by Rod Martin, setting up an Oakland touchdown. Later in the first quarter, a potential game-tying 40-yard touchdown pass to Rodney Parker was nullified by an illegal motion penalty. The final score was 27-10. Veteran journeyman quarterback Jim Plunkett was named the game's MVP.

2004: With two Super Bowl wins under their belt, the defending champion New England Patriots were heavily favored. McNabb had a great game with 357 yards and three touchdowns, but he also threw three interceptions. Terell Owens returned despite his injury, and caught 122 yards on 9 catches. The game was a defensive struggle through the third quarter, but in the fourth, the Patriots took the lead, with the Eagles trailing ten points. The early game struggle left everyone exhausted, and for his best efforts, McNabb scored one touchdown, but could not get the team within field goal range on the final drive. He was picked off in the closing seconds of the game. The final score was 24-21, and the Patriots had won their third Super Bowl in four years.

Patriots have also lost 4 SB's (5-4).

Nah. Giants beat NE twice. I’m secure enough to root for them. Would be pretty sweet if the only 2 major blemishes on Brady/Belichek dynasty were SB losses to Big Blue.

Eagles fans...who would you root for if Cowboys were playing NE?

Yeah that would be NE but only a teeny bit. I might even skip the game.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
I've bought a few other shirts from them. They make really nice shirts and mine are three or four years old- they have held up well with pretty regular wear.

Agree. I think I have two - the obligatory 3 wolf shirt (LOL) and the American Eagle in a flight suit with AF jets fling in the background. 'murica!

Getting coffee this morning, I saw the New York Post sports headline.... "worst Super Bowl ever..."

I checked, but there has never been a Super Bowl where the stadium fell into a black hole and took both teams with it. But hey, anything's possible.

If you are looking for a reason:

Rutgers Representatives in this year's Super Bowl:

Devin McCourty - going for his 3rd Super Bowl ring
Duron Harmon - going for his 3rd Super Bowl ring
Kenny Britt - cut by the Browns 12/8/2017 and signed by the Patriots five days later. He is currently on the inactive list.

And remember:

On January 22, 2017, the New England Patriots defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers 36 to 15 and the Atlanta Falcons defeated the Green Bay Packers 44 to 21 to win the AFC and NFC Championships, respectively, and to meet in Super Bowl LI in Houston, Texas on February 4, 2017. Four former Rutgers players were in the game that tied Alabama, Stanford and LSU with the most of any college. Receiver Mohammed Sanu was on Atlanta and safeties Devin McCourty, Duron Harmon and cornerback Logan Ryan was on New England. Patriots linebacker Dwight Freeney was also from Rutgers but was on the injured reserve list during the Super Bowl.

Remember there are going to be a lot of innocent neutral fans there. LOL

Those facts are not helpful. LOL.

Reactions: megadrone
It's like choosing between Hillary or Donald. I'll feel dirty rooting for either.

Yeah I can see how this would be the worst Super Bowl ever. You have the team with the best record in the NFL, going up against The Perennial Champions the New England Patriots.

Reactions: RUDead
Well done sir. Congrats!
Although kind of obvious, no? Only because LJ is the only RU guy I can ever recall being on the Eagles - have there been others? Was always a big fan of LJ's, being a local kid from HP, who chose RU when many might not have...

Although kind of obvious, no? Only because LJ is the only RU guy I can ever recall being on the Eagles - have there been others? Was always a big fan of LJ's, being a local kid from HP, who chose RU when many might not have...

Frank Burns was drafted overall at #19 by the Philadelphia Eagles in the 1949 NFL Draft. But he never played for them, returning to coach the Rutgers freshman football team instead. But I'm not aware of any other Rutgers player that played for the Eagles.

Note: See post below. Mike McMahon played for the Eagles in 2005.

Last edited:
There weren't many. Pratt was on the practice squad I think.

zak57,

Good catch! Former Rutgers player Mike McMahon quarterbacked the Philadelphia Eagles in 2005.

He was the QB after McNabb went down with a groin and sports hernia injuries just after midseason. I'm not sure that he actually did any quarterbacking though. Didn't have a good year on a team that fell apart after McNabb's injury and Terrell Owen's driveway sit-ups.

LJ Smith actually caught a TD in that game, which I think is the only TD by an RU player in a Superbowl.

As mentioned above Pratt and also Q Gause spent some time on the Eagles practice squad, but never made it into a regular season game with them.

Gonna have to go with these guys...

philadelphia_eagles_by_graffitimaster.jpg
I thought you were boycotting the NFL? I guess that stopped when your team started winning

I thought you were boycotting the NFL? I guess that stopped when your team started winning

No I'm boycotting every game my team is not involved in. Further I am recording the game and skipping all commercials. You guess incorrectly. Smartass.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT