ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Paul Mulcahy PAC 12 Stats

To be fair, on Washington he no longer has the ball in his hands, as he’s been playing the three. Watching last night, he looks totally lost at that position. A huge adjustment after 8 years as a PG. its proof that change is not always good.

Yeah I’m not sure if lost is the right word since he’s still directing traffic and leading the huddles but they have a true PG so Paul did. It get many touches last night at all. One nice assist that I saw….to the PG.

He had a weird and bad Stat line last night. Was he hurt or sick? Other four starters in double figures so appears his presence helped.

He had a weird and bad Stat line last night. Was he hurt or sick? Other four starters in double figures so appears his presence helped.
It’s been like that the last few games. Prior to that he had a game or two with a lot of turnovers. So not sure if that’s why they shifted him.

He definitely played well earlier in the season against some good teams. So OP’s agenda is clearly shown with the cherry picked games.

Reactions: RAC93 and Fat Koko
Pretty much from what I have heard, he did try to come back when those rumors surfaced and Pike told him no before we filled up. Wouldn't surprise me if he continues to be unhappy in Washington causing the poor play on the court.

He played 16 minutes but he rarely touched the ball. Stands in the corner (by design I believe) and his teammates don’t look for him. Believe it or not, our offense was better for him than theirs, but in fairness, he was playing the point here. He’s not really a PG at this level and he’s not a 2 or a 3, however, he’s serviceable at all of these position. That’s always been his problem. Kind of a poor-man’s Swiss Army knife and perfect for a bench role.

Last edited:
Let’s be grateful for the 4 years that Paul gave us for which 3 of the years should have been in the tourney ( counting 2020) and a near miss last year.

And yes he unfortunately looks like a fish out of water in the Washington system.

No need to rag on a loyal son who gave it all he had for 4 years for us!

I’ve watched a lot of Washington, I’m a hoops junkie. Early in the year he was much more involved and played nearly 35 min a game. He recorded a double double vs San Diego St. and played quite well against Colorado state, and Gonzaga. He started to have multiple turnover games and his minutes have been cut since Koren Johnson a better scoring guard started to play more.

still think he would’ve ended up having a big role here with us.

I’ve watched a lot of Washington, I’m a hoops junkie. Early in the year he was much more involved and played nearly 35 min a game. He recorded a double double vs San Diego St. and played quite well against Colorado state, and Gonzaga. He started to have multiple turnover games and his minutes have been cut since Koren Johnson a better scoring guard started to play more.

still think he would’ve ended up having a big role here with us.
Thank you, I thought I remembered that when I was checking on him (which I know is weird)...

With Sahvir Wheeler, it was obvious Mulcahy wasn't going to be the PG at UW.

In 2021-22 at Kentucky, Wheeler was a Bob Cousy Award finalist for the nation’s best point guard… All-SEC Second Team by both the league’s coaches and the media … Third in the nation and first in the SEC for the second straight season with an average of 6.9 assists per game … Finished with 207 assists on the season (fourth most in a single season in UK history).

Reactions: Groz and Scangg
Right or wrong Paul reminds me of that guy who was on your HS baseball and spring of his senior year rather than trying to have his best year ever was focused on the summer break, moving on to college, etc.

Let’s be grateful for the 4 years that Paul gave us for which 3 of the years should have been in the tourney ( counting 2020) and a near miss last year.

And yes he unfortunately looks like a fish out of water in the Washington system.

No question, Phil. Mulcahy was a key cog in one of the best 4-year stretches in program history. I almost wish he didn't have a Covid season to play an extra year. We wouldn't have to hear so much negativity. Most would agree RU should have been in the Big Dance each of his four seasons on the banks.

It’s been like that the last few games. Prior to that he had a game or two with a lot of turnovers. So not sure if that’s why they shifted him.

He definitely played well earlier in the season against some good teams. So OP’s agenda is clearly shown with the cherry picked games.
Cherry picked lol. Those are the 5 conference games. Ain’t nothing cherry picked about it. Paul has sucked in conference play.

Reactions: mugrat86
Cherry picked lol. Those are the 5 conference games. Ain’t nothing cherry picked about it. Paul has sucked in conference play.
Right and you ignore all the OOC against good competition. They played a much better schedule than RU which included SDSU and Gonzaga.

But you just choose to highlight the couple of games where Paul is in a different position and not putting up the numbers he did earlier. So they are cherry picked whether you want to admit it or not.

Let me know when any RU guard hits double digit assists in one game this year. Most nights lately you can take Simpson, Davis & Fernandes and they don’t come close combined.

Right and you ignore all the OOC against good competition. They played a much better schedule than RU which included SDSU and Gonzaga.

But you just choose to highlight the couple of games where Paul is in a different position and not putting up the numbers he did earlier. So they are cherry picked whether you want to admit it or not.

Let me know when any RU guard hits double digit assists in one game this year. Most nights lately you can take Simpson, Davis & Fernandes and they don’t come close combined.
You’re in your feelings because you thought Paul was good and were proven wrong. If I included his 8 points and 5 turnovers against Gonzaga in a game where he got benched in the second half would that make you happy? He had two good games in losses agajnst csu and sdsu 2 months ago and has been in the dog house ever since. Just admit you were wrong.

Reactions: mugrat86

Not to get in the middle but Paul hardly plays. He starts both halves and has been taken out before the under 16 timeout and almost never goes back in the game. Same pattern last 2-3 games I have watched.
He did play well earlier and they relied upon him more and he was feeding Brooks and his 3 point shooter Wood pretty well. They have either a freshman or sophomore that is going to take over next year when Wheeler and him leave , so he is getting the majority of the minutes.
He doesn’t even look to shoot when he is in there, which was a huge part of the problem when he was here but he was very functional for us for almost all of 4 years ( except after his MSU game at MSG ) and knew how to feed Cliff , which we are sorely missing now.
He is a Loyal Son. No need to trash him.

Yea that near miss had a lot to do with him

In 5 PAC 12 games he’s averaging 3.2 points, 1.6 assists, 1.4 rebounds, 1.4 turnovers, 40% from the field (6-15), 0% from 3 (0-8), 20.2 mpg. Also has 1 total steal and zero blocks.

As bad as Noah has been this year, Paul ain’t any better. He stinks.
He had 18 points tonight in a win over Utah and 11 points in their last PAC 12 game. That's 29 points in his last two PAC 12 games. He also still starts for a team that is probably better than we are. Noah isn't in his world.

He had 18 points tonight in a win over Utah and 11 points in their last PAC 12 game. That's 29 points in his last two PAC 12 games. He also still starts for a team that is probably better than we are. Noah isn't in his world.

It's too bad the announcer didn't have a clue. He said Mulcahy's career-high of 31 points came against Rutgers.

We all know it occurred at Northwestern.

423133446_10228430584922761_8349305503411827814_n.jpg

To add to what RutgersChow pointed out in his post above:
Stats for Paul's last 3 games:

1/20 Stanford- 26min, 10pts, 4-6FG, 2-4 3PT, 0-0FT, 2AST, 1STL
1/24 Colorado- 24min, 11pts, 4-6FG, 0-1 3PT, 3-3FT, 1AST, 3STL
1/27 Utah- 31min, 18pts, 7-9FG, 2-3 3PT, 2-2FT, 3AST, 1STL

Now that his finger injury has finally healed maybe he'll be able to continue playing/shooting better.

Watched last nights game, he had some great drives and finishes at the rim. Something our guards can’t do. Such a glue guy as well. Team sorely misses him, and Cam. Nothing We can do. But I firmly Believe wed have a couple more wins and would be looking at a top 8 finish in this way down big ten, and being in a position for tourney.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Now that his finger injury has finally healed maybe he'll be able to continue playing/shooting better.
Had a feeling his lack of recent playing time and the turnovers was due to some sort of injury. Just couldn’t find anything when I searched the web a few weeks ago.

Lot of people should be lining up for a plate of crow.

Watched the game as well. While I was upset with him for leaving so late when he did, I'll admit I miss him. He was big last night. Stats don't always show the whole picture. He made his teammates around him better. He was and is an exceptional passer. Some can deny or agree but Cliff misses those passes in the paint. Big miss not taking him back when he wanted to if that rumor was true.

Fans love player.
Player voluntarily leaves.
Some fans move on and focus on who’s here.
Other fans lament what could have been if he stayed.
Rather than just admitting that you’re frustrated with the player for leaving, those same fans direct their emotions at other fans who chose to move on.

Sadly, this is a big story for our season given the results thus far

I don't see anyone here directing emotions at other fans - only statements of opinions and statistics. Nor do I see anyone necessarily focused on the past - just discussing it. It's not one or the other. You can be focused on the future and still discuss the past.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
The facts
Noah was a one year rental for Jalen Miller until 24-25.
Cam Spencer waited until after the portal closed to grad transfer.
Paul Mulcahy waited until Cliff came back to grad transfer.
Those two left our backcourt, our guards, very inexperienced playing together and chemistry wise going into this year, not Pike. Pike did the best he could to find fits into his system with what was left in the portal. END OF STORY.

In 5 PAC 12 games he’s averaging 3.2 points, 1.6 assists, 1.4 rebounds, 1.4 turnovers, 40% from the field (6-15), 0% from 3 (0-8), 20.2 mpg. Also has 1 total steal and zero blocks.

As bad as Noah has been this year, Paul ain’t any better. He stinks.
Get real. You can't tell anything about what he's doing there relative to what he might have done here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT