ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Peacock

Didn't say it was good (or bad). Its just the evolution of broadcast media. With the growing trend towards streaming the NFL is exploring and prepping for a different revenue stream. Some may not like it (as expressed here) but its a smart business move to continue to test market and then tweak as needed. Ultimately the public market will decide, but the younger population is much more in on streaming than GenX and Boomers.
Well, if it's bad, why wouldn't you complain about it? I can give you reasons why it's bad.

True story ...

In the mid-1990s, I lived in the Davidson Dorms, the ones that were like single story converted army barracks (I have no idea if they are still there or not). Whatever they were made of (steel?) did not allow for television reception through an antenna. All you got was static. And this was before the dorms got cable TV. So I tied about 30 feet of speaker wire to the antenna-connection on the back of the TV, snaked it out the window, and then I tied it to a branch at the top of the tallest tree right outside the window. So we were the only room in the doom that could get crystal-clear CBS, NBC and ABC - it meant we could watch Letterman, Saturday Night Live and Monday Night Football - which was a minor miracle. Each channel meant you had to slightly pull on the wire (and move the branch) to get reception and sometimes someone had to hold the wire the entire show or it would get static ... but it was the best we could do.

Once every two weeks or so, the fire department would come by and cut our wire and post a note on our door threatening to fine us, but they never did. I'd just climb back up the tree with new wire the next day.

As an aside, we had a TV in the lounge/common area of the dorm, too. But this one could only get PBS. Which meant at 3 PM every day you had fifteen 18 year old guys piled in the dorm lounge watching the Muppet Show because they were so deprived of TV they'd watch anything.
The Davidson dorms are still there. Shocking to me as I was there as a freshman in '65-'66 and we all thought they were temporary! Back then nobody had a tv in their room. There was one in the common area and that year the Batman show was a big deal. It was the only show I remember people watching.

Tonight's Rams-Lions games is also airing on Peacock.

So instead of spending hundreds to getting a cable subscription and watching on NBC, you could watch for a couple bucks with a Peacock subscription.
Brilliant . Demise year round watching for one or two playoff scam games with Peacock.
Sure ratings were wrong for streaming but peanuts compared to regular broadcasted playoff games.

Brilliant . Demise year round watching for one or two playoff scam games with Peacock.
Sure ratings were wrong for streaming but peanuts compared to regular broadcasted playoff games.
Every Sunday night football game was on Peacock as well. Services like Peacock/Paramount/Disney+/ESPN are meant to replace your cable box. The negative is multiple apps but younger generations like my kids don't care. They don't watch traditional cable anyway. That is why services like Hulu, YouTubeTV, FUBO & DirectTV Stream exist (like standard cable).

Reactions: thegock
It actually outperformed by a little the wildcard game in the same slot last year that was on NBC broadcast channel.

From the article:

While streaming accounted for the lion’s share of the primetime Wild Card game’s viewership, the preliminary estimate also includes impressions served up via the NBC affiliates in Miami (WTVJ-6) and Kansas City (KSHB-41). Per Nielsen, Saturday night’s game was up 6% versus the analogous Chargers-Jaguars broadcast on NBC last year (20.6 million linear-TV viewers, plus another 1.2 streamers).

Held in subzero conditions, the Chiefs’ 26-7 victory now stands as the fifth-coldest NFL playoff game on record. As it happens, the Peacock deliveries were in keeping with a major media shift from nearly a decade ago; when ESPN kicked off cable’s first postseason game on Jan. 3, 2015, that Cardinals-Panthers Wild Card averaged 21.7 million viewers.

The official figures for the Peacock Wild Card game, including a breakdown of the number of fans who watched one of NBC’s local TV feeds, will be available on Friday. That said, the home-market turnout should be substantial, as the game averaged a 45.1 household rating in Kansas City—where 74% of the TVs in use were tuned to KSHB—and a 14.5 in Miami (41%). All told, approximately 710,000 homes tuned in across the NBC affiliates.

Reactions: thegock
Anyone notice that our great OT win last night forced the Maryland-Northwestern game to first be delayed and then forced their fans to shuffle around to find the game at the last minute?

Games on streaming have no issues.
It always starts on time and where it's supposed to be.

We had that on the roof of my mom’s house with an old school remote that made it rotate. The 80s were something else.

I had to take that thing off the roof a few years ago and illegally dispose of it before selling the house.
We had the antenna on the roof local channels & Wometko home theater for movies. Probably late 70s tho. Wometko must have gone through the antenna now that I think about it

Reactions: MulletCork
Not about Peacock, but all streaming services. They continue to push into live programming and sports.....and "sports entertainment". :)

Cable is on life support similar to 8 tracks when cassettes came out. Just a matter of time. Is there a major cable company that does also have Internet?

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Only one problem that might arise until other alternatives come aboard is cable companies that you get internet from can limit how much data you stream. I think some already do at exorbitant amounts but they can lower those and charge you to go over.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT