ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Post different types of beer you've tried, and how it was.

18 Pliny the Younger expected to be at Russian River in the first or second week of February. Which by my calculations should put it in Philly around the third or fourth week of February.

I've tried thousands of beers, that Sip of Sunshine was really good, had it last week. Kane's Holy Nights was one of the best beers I've ever had, it's only a seasonal though, it's tapped out now. Was just down in North Carolina and Natty Greene's Mt Mitchell IPA was awesome.

All of the Natty Greene beers that I’ve had are really good. When I moved to Charlotte 11 years ago there were no craft breweries here. Olde Mecklenburg Brewery was the first and now there are several. All of the ones I’ve tried are good. If you like IPAs try NoDa Hop Drop and Roll. Asheville is a beer town and has lots of great breweries there: Highland, Catawba, Wicked Weed, Blowing Rock, etc. Some west coast breweries also now brew there as well (New Belgium, Sierra Nevada). NC has some other great brews (Lonerider in Raleigh, Duck Rabbit, etc.) but I’ve no idea whether any of these are available outside NC.

All of the Natty Greene beers that I’ve had are really good. When I moved to Charlotte 11 years ago there were no craft breweries here. Olde Mecklenburg Brewery was the first and now there are several. All of the ones I’ve tried are good. If you like IPAs try NoDa Hop Drop and Roll. Asheville is a beer town and has lots of great breweries there: Highland, Catawba, Wicked Weed, Blowing Rock, etc. Some west coast breweries also now brew there as well (New Belgium, Sierra Nevada). NC has some other great brews (Lonerider in Raleigh, Duck Rabbit, etc.) but I’ve no idea whether any of these are available outside NC.

Also can’t go wrong with anything from Founder’s, Ballast Point, Southern Tier, San Smith or anything brewed in Belgium! Also had a Brazilian black beer called Xingu which was really tasty and Belizean stout called Belikin which was really good, but may not be available in the US. Cheers!

2 of my favorite beers:

uplander-field-shotgun.png

31ZI4YVF45L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Reactions: WhiteBus
Had Steamworks Heroica a solid red ale, Ellicottville Chocolate Cherry Bomb was delicious, Jersey Girl Gold Rush was good ipa

Prairie vanilla noir is excellent
Nearly every Imperial Stout by Prairie is world class. Any luck finding 18 Sump yet? I scored some more BA Victory at Sea and Willettized in the meantime. Also got a few bottles of Flying Fish Exit 17...RIS aged in Dad's Hat Rye Whiskey Barrels.

From Poland: Tatra 6%, Lomza Wyborowe 6%, & Kopernik 5.6% all were good nice flavor and smooth.

Nearly every Imperial Stout by Prairie is world class. Any luck finding 18 Sump yet? I scored some more BA Victory at Sea and Willettized in the meantime. Also got a few bottles of Flying Fish Exit 17...RIS aged in Dad's Hat Rye Whiskey Barrels.
I heard NY may start getting 18 Sump next week or the following week, but it could be a week or 2 later.

Last time I was in Charlotte (about 2 years ago) I made a visit to Triple C and most of the bars and restaurants offered a good selection of other locals like OMB, NoDa, Birdsong, and Sycamore.

I lived Charlotte from 98 to 02 and the areas where these breweries are located have changed tremendously. Although NoDa was a hipter-like spot back then, it was maybe a block with the surrounding area not very safe.

evil twin maple bourbon barrel aged imperial mexican biscotti cake break is good...sweet maple and bourbon

Anyone in the Philly area should hit up Stout Bowl at U-Bahn in Center City on 1/28. Check Philly Tap Finder. Bomb, 2SP BA The Russian, Abraxas, BA Old Rasputin. Also Cider Bowl at Cinder that same day has Vanilla Abraxas on draft.

Reactions: Leonard23
Just picked up some Troegs Nugget Nectar and Lagunitas Undercover Shut-Down Ale. I had the Nugget Nectar before its very good never the Lagunitas though

Troon Expert Witness is good. Nice ginger spice, great holiday beer.

Two from Neshaminy Creek Brewing that I am really enjoying are Fade to Dopplebock (fairly new) and Misadventures and Missteps Belgian Strong Ale (brand new). The Belgian Strong is so tasty, like Duvel on steriods at 10%.

So a week away from the Super Bowl. Whats everyone having? Im working till kickoff so that will keep me out of troule all day. Off Monday so I could have some big hitters but still haven't decided.

So a week away from the Super Bowl. Whats everyone having? Im working till kickoff so that will keep me out of troule all day. Off Monday so I could have some big hitters but still haven't decided.
Managed to find a bottle of BA Old Rasputin. Gonna crack that open at some point.

South Jersey getting Westbrook now. First time I've seen them in the Philly metro area. Also Omnipollo, Evil Twin and Against the Grain. Twelve Percent handles distro for those breweries, and am thrilled to finally get Key Lime Gose and Mexican Cake locally. Found them at Wegmans in Mount Laurel today.

Managed to try Westbrook for the first time last night. Their IPA was decent, nothing special but LOVED their Gose. Might be a new go to Summer beer for me. Can't wait to get Key Lime Gose and Mexican Cake Imperial Stout.

South Jersey getting Westbrook now. First time I've seen them in the Philly metro area. Also Omnipollo, Evil Twin and Against the Grain. Twelve Percent handles distro for those breweries, and am thrilled to finally get Key Lime Gose and Mexican Cake locally. Found them at Wegmans in Mount Laurel today.
Thanks big. Good to know I can get these at wegmans. Sure you're tracking your beer selection. How many have you tried?

Two from Neshaminy Creek Brewing that I am really enjoying are Fade to Dopplebock (fairly new) and Misadventures and Missteps Belgian Strong Ale (brand new). The Belgian Strong is so tasty, like Duvel on steriods at 10%.

Are these brews available in bottles at the brewery?

Managed to try Westbrook for the first time last night. Their IPA was decent, nothing special but LOVED their Gose. Might be a new go to Summer beer for me. Can't wait to get Key Lime Gose and Mexican Cake Imperial Stout.
Mexican Cake is highly overrated.

A few places in Philly managed to get cans of Focal Banger and Heady Topper this week. 18 Sump and 18 Hop Juju here this week as well.

Just has Avery Tweak, an incredible Imperial Stout, one of the best I've had, The Alchemist Sterk Wit was a tasty Witbier, Demented's Redrum was a decent rye beer as was Demented's Won't Bock Down, an ok Doppelbock. Blue Point's Citrus Plunge was juicy ipa goodness and Evil Twin's Soul Made IPA was delicious.

Reactions: bigmatt718
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT