ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Replacing water heater Tank vs. Tankless

I would think the boilers lifespan/durability would definitely be affected by being used 12 months a year instead of 5 in addition to the additional workload of heating water year round.
Typical boiler will make heat only for winter months then it’s rest time compared to hot water in addition to heat in winter then continue making hot water rest of the year.

Tankless is more expensive and requires yearly maintenance to keep it running well. If you have 3 people in the house a standard tank works just fine, you can always get a larger tank if you all like long showers back to back.

I would think the boilers lifespan/durability would definitely be affected by being used 12 months a year instead of 5 in addition to the additional workload of heating water year round.
Typical boiler will make heat only for winter months then it’s rest time compared to hot water in addition to heat in winter then continue making hot water rest of the year.
An indirect water heater doesn't affect a boilers lifespan. It heats the water practically for free in winter, and only runs a few times a day to heat the water in the summer. In the summer only the circulator for the tank runs, the rest of the heating system to the house stays cold. Most people have furnaces so they can't get an indirect water heater.

I have a 65 year old tankless water coil in my boiler. For two people it is fine, but forget trying to fill a bathtub full of hot water.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT