ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP Bill Verdon

rudad02

All American
Nov 7, 2010
Excellent Buc center fielder on their great 1960 championship team & in his 11 year playing career, mostly with the Bucs. Was 1955 rookie of the year with the Cards. Also longtime Big League manager.

Bill Virdon was an excellent player for Pittsburgh on some good teams. Another childhood memory gone.RIP

Reactions: MADHAT1
I remember him well. I grew up a Pirates fan with Clemente my favorite player of all time. Forbes Field was a great ballpark with character, not like the cookie-cutter parks that emerged.

Reactions: MADHAT1
RIP Bill-
Worked on his forearms with the weight attached to a rope and handle every day.
Old school guy who managed Doc Ellis and Richie Hebner in the early 70s…
Talk about an incredible dynamic of two polar opposites….it’s what made sports and the 70s so great.
Hebner didn’t have to apologize for being a white grave digger from Boston, and Doc didn’t have to apologize for being a black radical from LA… they both ended up loving and completely supporting each other, and neither one of them ever changed.

I remember him well. I grew up a Pirates fan with Clemente my favorite player of all time. Forbes Field was a great ballpark with character, not like the cookie-cutter parks that emerged.
Great ballpark. Clemente my second favorite after Jackie Robinson. Clemente, Verdon, & Bob "dog" Skinner a great outfield.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
RIP Bill-
Worked on his forearms with the weight attached to a rope and handle every day.
Old school guy who managed Doc Ellis and Richie Hebner in the early 70s…
Talk about an incredible dynamic of two polar opposites….it’s what made sports and the 70s so great.
Hebner didn’t have to apologize for being a white grave digger from Boston, and Doc didn’t have to apologize for being a black radical from LA… they both ended up loving and completely supporting each other, and neither one of them ever changed.
Hebner was a pretty good lefty stick.

Great ballpark. Clemente my second favorite after Jackie Robinson. Clemente, Verdon, & Bob "dog" Skinner a great outfield.
People say Clemente was always hurt but he won 4 batting titles so he had the 502 ABs. The thing was he would run into the wall on a foul ball in the ninth inning up or down 8 runs. He just played all out. And his throws from right center to the plate or behind the runner on a single we’re something I’ve never seen. I know Zap says Stargell made fun of Clemente for missing games due to injury but the total ABs seem to suggest otherwise. Plus, I’ve seen so many players dog it since the ‘70s, Clemente played 100% all of the time—at least whenever I saw him. I’d rather see someone play all out 150 games than dog it and play 162 (not referring to Zap or Yogi).

People say Clemente was always hurt but he won 4 batting titles so he had the 502 ABs. The thing was he would run into the wall on a foul ball in the ninth inning up or down 8 runs. He just played all out. And his throws from right center to the plate or behind the runner on a single we’re something I’ve never seen. I know Zap says Stargell made fun of Clemente for missing games due to injury but the total ABs seem to suggest otherwise. Plus, I’ve seen so many players dog it since the ‘70s, Clemente played 100% all of the time—at least whenever I saw him. I’d rather see someone play all out 150 games than dog it and play 162 (not referring to Zap or Yogi).
No, Pops had nothing but reverence for Roberto and took over his leadership roll after his tragic death.
In good Pirate taste, he was kidded about his being a hypochondriac, he came to the ball park every day with a bad neck and complaining of fatigue, but played all out anyway.
Incidentally, Clemente swore all his power came from his neck…lol

By the way, you saw a guy play 100% everyday, every time he stepped onto the field, and have a hall of fame career….Dave Winfield.
No one hustled or played the game harder.
Please enjoy Big Aaron Judge while you can, he’s the greatest example of how the game should be played alive today

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT