ADVERTISEMENT

OT: California moves closer to becoming first state to ban tackle football for kids under 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
To you because you never played and don’t love football. To people who do it matters because there is ZERO evidence. Again, it’s fourth or fifth in concussions. So ban the others first.
I did play and I do love football !!’ It is not the end of the world if California adopts this law

I did play and I do love football !!’ It is not the end of the world if California adopts this law
I won't take sides , but I feel of someone disagreeing with you (or anyone) brings up something that supposedly makes you look like you haven't clue about the issue, they should have made sure they knew what they claimed was true.
Especially since you posted about your involvement in this thread .

Too often accusations are based on assumptions without knowing (caring) the facts are there that prove that accusation untrue.

And to all the equally uninformed people saying coaches don’t know what they are doing. Every football league I’ve ever been involved with requires coaches training. Some require both NFL heads up and Rutgers also offers a program.

Pop Warner went unweighted a few years ago, but age groups younger than 12U have rules in place to ensure safety including no kickoffs (start at the 35, thus eliminating onside kicks) and no 3/4 point stances for both sides of the line. Coaches in Pop Warner also have to go thru many hours of training and be certified by USA Football. I’m not sure if other leagues, such as AYF and UYFL have similar rules.

There is more spring football now and some of the travel/national programs in the tri state area competing at the higher levels are starting up early in the Summer with pre-season games/tournaments happening later in July and then ending in December with nationals, so the risk of injury can be higher. Son played close to 30 games throughout last year!

Cripes- we have all been around, what, maybe thousands of years between us here on the board. Who here knows an adult that has continued head trauma issues from playing under 12 sports? Crickets
Who knows adults with head trauma that played HS/College/pro sports

Now- the one sport I do say it is concerning with is youth Hockey. I don’t know anyone that didn’t have mult concussions as a youth when they played.
Gymnastics and skating are also more dangerous than youth football.

And to all the equally uninformed people saying coaches don’t know what they are doing. Every football league I’ve ever been involved with requires coaches training. Some require both NFL heads up and Rutgers also offers a program.
That was bob that posted that

Lol. Are you really comparing gender changing treatments on minors to football?
Why the need to always bring your sexuality into threads.
Your gay
Your dad hates you
Nobody cares.

Now try to explain why youth football should be banned
Yes I'm comparing because of the usual right wing hypocrisy about protecting children. Try to stay focused, gramps. It's not about me.

Yes I'm comparing because of the usual right wing hypocrisy about protecting children. Try to stay focused, gramps. It's not about me.
You’re a smart guy. There is zero chance you actually think those things are equal.
Gramps? I’m probably 10 years older than you.

• Haha
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Buddy of mine officiates youth soccer in a league a few towns over

Told me they were seriously contemplating banning head balls until the kids were teenagers

Upon hearing this ridiculous drivel, I immediately felt hundreds of brain cells depart my body, never to return (insert joke about not having many to begin with)

I understand concussions are serious and head injuries are not to be taken lightly, coupled with new data being invaluable

But unless they’re replacing leather soccer balls with bricks or wet logs, that literally could be the craziest thing I’ve ever heard

Lol. In your analysis make sure you eliminate anyone who played other sports, rode bikes, played outside or had siblings.
vk…again, all the other activities you mention are irrelevant. This isn’t about concussions. CTE isn’t a result of a few concussions. It’s from hundreds or thousands of head-jarring collisions over many years. No other sports involve so many collisions like this, not hockey, motorcross, not even boxing.

So get your facts straight or stay out of this discussion.

There is no reason to start this clock on pre-teens whose cognitive functions are still developing. They can wait, and if it drives them into other sports instead, so what.

Buddy of mine officiates youth soccer in a league a few towns over

Told me they were seriously contemplating banning head balls until the kids were teenagers

Upon hearing this ridiculous drivel, I immediately felt hundreds of brain cells depart my body, never to return (insert joke about not having many to begin with)

I understand concussions are serious and head injuries are not to be taken lightly, coupled with new data being invaluable

But unless they’re replacing leather soccer balls with bricks or wet logs, that literally could be the craziest thing I’ve ever heard
The whole you can’t head the ball until your are 12 is so stupid. Kids aren’t heading the ball at 8. They don’t even have the coordination besides the fact the ball never gets off of the ground. And before the usual suspects say I’m wrong with zero evidence. I have two daughters who play at the highest level in this country and are both D1.

The whole you can’t head the ball until your are 12 is so stupid. Kids aren’t heading the ball at 8. They don’t even have the coordination besides the fact the ball never gets off of the ground. And before the usual suspects say I’m wrong with zero evidence. I have two daughters who play at the highest level in this country and are both D1.
I’m waiting until the ban two hand touch for fear of breaking fingers

Reactions: Caliknight
When I was growing up the earliest form of organized football began with Pop Warner in 7th grade.
My Montclair Cobras experience was tremendous and worth the wait.
We played kill the man with the ball, and even tackle football with no pads in 5th and 6th grade… but we obviously learned to protect ourselves and with no helmets we never led with our heads.
Personally, when I drive by the park and see all these parents lined up in folding chairs watching tiny little kids in 3rd grade line up in full equipment I think it’s a joke

You’re a smart guy. There is zero chance you actually think those things are equal.
Gramps? I’m probably 10 years older than you.
They're not equal. Gender reassignment treatment is sanctioned by professionals. Head injuries are not. Republicans are "protecting" kids from something they want that might improve their mental health. Nanny state liberals are protecting kids from head injuries, which nobody wants or thinks aren't serious. My personal feeling is that parents and kids should decide in both cases and nosy voters and blow-dried politicians should butt the f out, as they should in many things where pushy people on both sides today think their opinion matters. For all the talk of freedom and libertarianism I've never seen more people trying to tell others what to do, say and think in my life.

They're not equal. Gender reassignment treatment is sanctioned by professionals. Head injuries are not. Republicans are "protecting" kids from something they want that might improve their mental health. Nanny state liberals are protecting kids from head injuries, which nobody wants or thinks aren't serious. My personal feeling is that parents and kids should decide in both cases and nosy voters and blow-dried politicians should butt the f out, as they should in many things where pushy people on both sides today think their opinion matters. For all the talk of freedom and libertarianism I've never seen more people trying to tell others what to do, say and think in my life.
What % of kids regret gender reassignment
What % of people regret playing youth football?
Guess we are back to stats not mattering

Reactions: Caliknight
When I was growing up the earliest form of organized football began with Pop Warner in 7th grade.
My Montclair Cobras experience was tremendous and worth the wait.
We played kill the man with the ball, and even tackle football with no pads in 5th and 6th grade… but we obviously learned to protect ourselves and with no helmets we never led with our heads.
Personally, when I drive by the park and see all these parents lined up in folding chairs watching tiny little kids in 3rd grade line up in full equipment I think it’s a joke
What age did you start playing baseball

What age did you start playing baseball
Little league is way younger, broken noses and getting your teeth knocked out by ground balls was normal on the shit fields we played on, but you can wear masks today.
Let’s face it VK, there’s really no threat of brain injuries in baseball from a cumulative standpoint… you take the chance of a one time event unfortunate beaning that leads to a horrible outcome… but that happens in every sport.
It’s the cumulative hitting heads that’s bad for little kids

vk…again, all the other activities you mention are irrelevant. This isn’t about concussions. CTE isn’t a result of a few concussions. It’s from hundreds or thousands of head-jarring collisions over many years. No other sports involve so many collisions like this, not hockey, motorcross, not even boxing.

So get your facts straight or stay out of this discussion.

There is no reason to start this clock on pre-teens whose cognitive functions are still developing. They can wait, and if it drives them into other sports instead, so what.
I actually agree that it is the multiple hammer blows that are causing it and not some single or 2-3 hits to the head.
But, this is not happening with kids that are under 12. Two 10 y/o kids at 85 lbs run into each other full speed- neither of them are capable of driving their helmets into each other and more likely to both fall back with the impact.
The real injuries are from the biggest most violent men you have ever seen doing this, not kids.

I actually agree that it is the multiple hammer blows that are causing it and not some single or 2-3 hits to the head.
But, this is not happening with kids that are under 12. Two 10 y/o kids at 85 lbs run into each other full speed- neither of them are capable of driving their helmets into each other and more likely to both fall back with the impact.
The real injuries are from the biggest most violent men you have ever seen doing this, not kids.
Yes.
You don’t think the initial thud and contact at the snap of the ball between linemen jars Brain fluid, you don’t even need to hit heads.

Reactions: Shelby65
You’re almost there. Smoking half of each cigarette has less impact. A cue ball striking another with less force mutes the impact. T boning another car at 20 mph is different than at 40. And younger, smaller kids don’t hit as hard, sure. But there is still energy transfer and brain affect.

So, enough with the uneducated comparisons to concussions in other sports or activities. Concussions have nothing to do with this.

This is sensible legislation protecting preteens from the beginnings of brain damage.

You’re almost there. Smoking half of each cigarette has less impact. A cue ball striking another with less force mutes the impact. T boning another car at 20 mph is different than at 40. And younger, smaller kids don’t hit as hard, sure. But there is still energy transfer and brain affect.

So, enough with the uneducated comparisons to concussions in other sports or activities. Concussions have nothing to do with this.

This is sensible legislation protecting preteens from the beginnings of brain damage.
Now we aren’t concerned about concussions
Have you ever actually watched an 8 year old football game? There is nothing sensible about this. We need to ban nerf guns, bike riding, horsing around in the school yard, and snowballs. And definitely skiing

Little league is way younger, broken noses and getting your teeth knocked out by ground balls was normal on the shit fields we played on, but you can wear masks today.
Let’s face it VK, there’s really no threat of brain injuries in baseball from a cumulative standpoint… you take the chance of a one time event unfortunate beaning that leads to a horrible outcome… but that happens in every sport.
It’s the cumulative hitting heads that’s bad for little kids
This fall let’s go watch the little guys in my football club. There is zero cumulative damage. They are like puppies running into each other.

This fall let’s go watch the little guys in my football club. There is zero cumulative damage. They are like puppies running into each other.
In 5th grade at my Montclair multi cultural middle school, we were far from puppies hitting each other.
So in 3rd grade maybe there’s not much going on, but in 5th and 6th grade bigger and stronger kids are hitting

In 5th grade at my Montclair multi cultural middle school, we were far from puppies hitting each other.
So in 3rd grade maybe there’s not much going on, but in 5th and 6th grade bigger and stronger kids are hitting
And that’s when they should be learning proper technique. Most of the kids I’ve seen get hurt over the years are the ones who join at older ages. Much easier to learn to tackle at six then at 14

It’s also the impact to the ground that concerns me. Not a great decision here by our kid to make an unnecessary crack back during an interception, but he also took a hard blow to the head from the landing. He was 11 years old last Spring playing DL at 195 lbs. Definitely learned his lesson here.

And that’s when they should be learning proper technique. Most of the kids I’ve seen get hurt over the years are the ones who join at older ages. Much easier to learn to tackle at six then at 14
Parents, refs, organization, rules….no fun but that’s all kids know today.
I’ll take 10 kids on bikes and a football in the basket…. Line up and play your own game… you’ll learn how to tackle 😊

Reactions: ruinac
Yes.
You don’t think the initial thud and contact at the snap of the ball between linemen jars Brain fluid, you don’t even need to hit heads.
Yes, those hits along with all the others that go on mess tge guys up more than any single hit.

WHO and WEF are who’s pulling the strings of the Uniparty puppets
Its a global problem
Saw a huge farmer protest in Germany this week.
The sociopaths want to control food, energy, health and currency
They dont actually believe cow toots are destroying planet - its an excuse to hijack farming etc.
People are super gullible these days

I didn’t and won’t let my boys play tackle under 12. Flag is/was fine.

Same - I wish our town offered flag after grade 1. We don’t. My guys aren’t heavy contact sport kids and therefore never showed much of an interest in playing travel football until this year. they are 9 and the boys started playing at recess.

So now one of my guys has been saying he want to play next season. I hope he changes before the season and fear of injury has very little to do with why. Once tackle became the only option - Totally turned my guys off to the sport at age 6. And now fast forward 3 seasons later I feel that they are so far behind and removed from the sport that they don’t even realize what they would be signing up for. It would be 5 practices a week. Nothing like what they are doing at recess. My son is a basketball kid - but not terribly fast - would likely be a blocker in the game is my guess and probably never touch the ball. We don’t allow our kids to sign up for things and quit. They have to see it through. I guess where I’m coming from is our town decided under 6 is too young for tackle. Every town probably has a cutoff. Maybe other places it’s 7 or 8. California is saying it should be 12 and that seems extreme but every town does have an age where the sport transitions. California is just centralizing that and bumping the age up significantly from what a lot of towns are likely doing. Selfishly I think our town shifted too young and believe my kids can’t be the only kids turned off by it that might of otherwise taken an interest.

Same - I wish our town offered flag after grade 1. We don’t. My guys aren’t heavy contact sport kids and therefore never showed much of an interest in playing travel football until this year. they are 9 and the boys started playing at recess.

So now one of my guys has been saying he want to play next season. I hope he changes before the season and fear of injury has very little to do with why. Once tackle became the only option - Totally turned my guys off to the sport at age 6. And now fast forward 3 seasons later I feel that they are so far behind and removed from the sport that they don’t even realize what they would be signing up for. It would be 5 practices a week. Nothing like what they are doing at recess. My son is a basketball kid - but not terribly fast - would likely be a blocker in the game is my guess and probably never touch the ball. We don’t allow our kids to sign up for things and quit. They have to see it through. I guess where I’m coming from is our town decided under 6 is too young for tackle. Every town probably has a cutoff. Maybe other places it’s 7 or 8. California is saying it should be 12 and that seems extreme but every town does have an age where the sport transitions. California is just centralizing that and bumping the age up significantly from what a lot of towns are likely doing. Selfishly I think our town shifted too young and believe my kids can’t be the only kids turned off by it that might of otherwise taken an interest.
There’s more flag leagues in NJ than I thought. The model is usually once a week- practice before the game and then the game, so a little more travel than usual isn’t so bad. Not sure if there’s one near you…

There’s more flag leagues in NJ than I thought. The model is usually once a week- practice before the game and then the game, so a little more travel than usual isn’t so bad. Not sure if there’s one near you…

Yes sure - you can find a place to play anything. The local Ys offer everything of course.

I’m talking about sports officially offered through the town where the kids compete and play sports with their peers.

Yes sure - you can find a place to play anything. The local Ys offer everything of course.

I’m talking about sports officially offered through the town where the kids compete and play sports with their peers.
Gotcha. My kid was similar to yours, tackle wasn’t for him. Took him a few towns over to play flag and some of his peers ended up coming over too. We would have had a team from our town in that league this year if I hadn’t moved.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
Its a global problem
Saw a huge farmer protest in Germany this week.
The sociopaths want to control food, energy, health and currency
They dont actually believe cow toots are destroying planet - its an excuse to hijack farming etc.
People are super gullible these days

People are super gullible these days. Oh the irony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT