ADVERTISEMENT

OT: So criticizing WBB is against the law?

RU4Real

Legend
Jul 25, 2001
RUChip started a thread about CViv that was immediately moved to the WBB board. In a fit of fascism, the WBB moderator (who I gather allows NO dissent) moved it back here and had it locked.

So what gives? If someone thinks that the WBB is a fiscal black hole, that can't be discussed?

That seems wrong.

Chip was trolling as usual & it did not end well for him

I'm not sure you could define it as "trolling".

The WBB program's balance sheet seems to fly in the face of everything that Barchi has said with regard to expectations of the sports programs. We sink WAY more money into it than we get out of it. So I think that the conversation about whether or not Stringer's contract provides a good ROI is an entirely reasonable one.

Maybe Chip didn't phrase the question in the most diplomatic manner, but that doesn't render the question invalid.

The tolerance for dissent is low on the wbb. They are very protective of cvs.

Right? I mean, I don't go there, because the reputation for drowning dissent is pretty well-known... but why? Everyone who supports Rutgers Athletics, financially, is on the hook for a piece of a program that may have more red ink than any other. Unless the denizens of the WBB board are willing to fund the program on their own, this conversation is wide open.

They seem like a weird group. Often any criticism will result in the Cviv supports attacking/denigrating MBB and/or other sports.

Those advocating cutting funding to WBB are under surveillance:

Watching_zps1r3qf1br.jpg

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
TitleIX is a sham. The general idea is democratic enough.. but not to have a set-aside for football is ridiculous. As is having to pay CVS the same as the mens coach. No way should the 85 football schollies have to be mirrored on the womens side. Sports where men and women play the same sport should be good enough.

I find it fascinating that all the people who rail against the subsidy never mention women's basketball.

In 2014, football showed revenue in excess of expenses of $1,996,036.

Men's hoops showed revenue in excess of expenses of $1,202,291.

Women's hoops showed revenue in excess of expenses of $0, but required $909,000 worth of Direct Institutional Support to do it. Neither of the other two sports received any Direct Institutional Support.

Women's basketball is the next program that needs fixing. Who would believe the day when women's seton hall Bball is relivant and making the ncaa tournament and we are struggling to get into the NIT. We can get a much better coach for less money.

CVS got a pass this year due to MBB and FB being raging dumpster fires. Yes she has some great PAST achievements, but she is way overcompensated for now the third WNIT bid in the past few years.

There is no reason we should not be a top B1G program and frankly we have such history in WBB we could likely lure a p5 coach to replace her if we wanted to.

In 2014, football showed revenue in excess of expenses of $1,996,036.

Men's hoops showed revenue in excess of expenses of $1,202,291.

Women's hoops showed revenue in excess of expenses of $0, but required $909,000 worth of Direct Institutional Support to do it. Neither of the other two sports received any Direct Institutional Support.
I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish by knocking WBB, the real drain on the athletic department starts with non revenue sports. Why not start there? Also it's easy to pick on the WBB program now due to recent struggles, but where was most of the b*cthing when they were winning? It almost seems like some people intentionally undermine support to the women's program because the male equivalent sport s*cks. Hate can be a dangerous force that clouds one's ability to judge situations without being bias. It's a shame at the height of WBB success the fan support didn't equal it. It was one of the few sports that had respect on a national level and gave the school a source of pride. I think the average Rutgers fan is out of step and touch with reality. We are great at knocking down our own without any remorse. Why not offer support be it money or going to games, then being critical of the program has valid meaning.

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish by knocking WBB, the real drain on the athletic department starts with non revenue sports. Why not start there? Also it's easy to pick on the WBB program now due to recent struggles, but where was most of the b*cthing when they were winning? It almost seems like some people intentionally undermine support to the women's program because the male equivalent sport s*cks. Hate can be a dangerous force that clouds one's ability to judge situations without being bias. It's a shame at the height of WBB success the fan support didn't equal it. It was one of the few sports that had respect on a national level and gave the school a source of pride. I think the average Rutgers fan is out of step and touch with reality. We are great at knocking down our own without any remorse. Why not offer support be it money or going to games, then being critical of the program has valid meaning.

That was an impressive wall of text.

Also irrelevant.

The other sports are certainly up for discussion, but you can't eliminate all of them because of the Title IX restrictions. If you want to create another incomprehensible wall of text about Title IX, I'd be happy to participate in that thread.

WBB is at issue here because in 2014 the program cost $3.7 million and sold $290,000 worth of tickets.

Coaching compensation for the year was $1.7 million.

For a team that had $290,000 in ticket sales.

TitleIX is a sham. The general idea is democratic enough.. but not to have a set-aside for football is ridiculous. As is having to pay CVS the same as the mens coach. No way should the 85 football schollies have to be mirrored on the womens side. Sports where men and women play the same sport should be good enough.

Title IX has nothing to do with how much we pay CVS.

Reactions: Underdogs88
If the numbers in this thread are accurate, women's basketball is a major problem.

C Viv is currently a few games short of 1000 wins, I can't find her 2015-16 compensation.
This season 18-14 NIT
Last season: 23-10 NCAA

2013-14 28-9 NIT champs (w that record surprised they didn't get in NCAA

copy and pasted from wiki;
2004-05 Rutgers 28-7 14–2 1st NCAA Elite Eight
2005-06 Rutgers 27-5 16–0 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2006-07 Rutgers 27-9 12–4 2nd NCAA Runner-up
2007-08 Rutgers 27-7 14–2 3rd NCAA Elite Eight
2008-09 Rutgers 21-13 9–7 7th NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2009-10 Rutgers 18-15 9–7 T-6th NCAA First round
2010-11 Rutgers 20-13 11–5 4th NCAA Second Round
2011-12 Rutgers 20-13 10–6 6th NCAA First round
2012-13 Rutgers 16–14 7–9 T-9th
Rutgers Scarlet Knights (American Athletic Conference) (2013–2014)
2013-14 Rutgers 28–9 12–6 4th WNIT Champions
Rutgers Scarlet Knights (Big Ten Conference) (2014–present)
2014-15 Rutgers 23-10 12-6 5th

Simply it is time to turn the page on CVS. Her lamp has dimmed. She doesn't have her past success on the court or in recruiting.
You can applaud all her past accomplishments but it is still time to go.

Not sure what the OP is talking about. The women's board has always been a place for fair and balanced discussion . No poster would ever be targeted or anything for saying something with a hint of skepticism . It's truly a great board .

Being only a few games short of 1000 wins, I doubt Hobbs pulls the trigger on a legendary coach who was 23-10 last year, still over .500 this year , and missed some time caring for her dying mother. Just not going to happen.
She'll get another year, IMO, to get the team back to the NCAA.

Being only a few games short of 1000 wins, I doubt Hobbs pulls the trigger on a legendary coach who was 23-10 last year, still over .500 this year , and missed some time caring for her dying mother. Just not going to happen.
She'll get another year, IMO, to get the team back to the NCAA.
A great AD can't worry about her personal record. She can get her 1000th at any school. Hobbs needs to be concerned about Rutgers. Plus he didn't hire her so he has no quilt getting rid of her.

Can't you guys leave VivPa alone? Don't you know that this university would be NOTHING without her? Who the heck would coach in the Big Ten and get most of their games exposure on a national network for $400,000?

It's time for the rational mods to start issuing some bannings.

Can't you guys leave VivPa alone? Don't you know that this university would be NOTHING without her? Who the heck would coach in the Big Ten and get most of their games exposure on a national network for $400,000?

I totally just pissed in your mailbox.

A great AD can't worry about her personal record. She can get her 1000th at any school. Hobbs needs to be concerned about Rutgers. Plus he didn't hire her so he has no quilt getting rid of her.

If you seriously think Hobbs will fire her this year, after going 23-10 last year and falling 1 win short of the NCAA this year (and she missed a few games to be w her dying mother), and being a few games short of 1000 which will sell tickets and get pres exposure this coming season, I honestly don't know what to say. I would say you are just playing 'devil's advocate' and you have a losing hand.
Hey, I'll bet you a case of beer for you (max value of $50) vs a 6 pack for me (max value of 12.50) payable at the first home football game, that C Viv is coaching the team this season . What say u ? :-)

Reactions: Scarletwoman
She's 30 wins away from 1000.

That will take one hell of a year next year for her to get it.

I wonder if the administration would go into convulsions like they did over Foold if we set up a gofundme to buy her a gold watch as a retirement gift?

#RetireVivPa

If you seriously think Hobbs will fire her this year, after going 23-10 last year and falling 1 win short of the NCAA this year (and she missed a few games to be w her dying mother), and being a few games short of 1000 which will sell tickets and get pres exposure this coming season, I honestly don't know what to say. I would say you are just playing 'devil's advocate' and you have a losing hand.
Hey, I'll bet you a case of beer for you (max value of $50) vs a 6 pack for me (max value of 12.50) payable at the first home football game, that C Viv is coaching the team this season . What say u ? :)
I think she will be coaching but to say she she must be kept around for her 1000th win is dumb. That a bad reason to keep any coach around when the game has begun to pass her by. She makes a lot of money to be playing in the NIT.
And Abro I'd buy you a beer anytime. You need to start joining the craft/great Euro beers tastings with us. Time to expand your beer palete :)

I think she will be coaching but to say she she must be kept around for her 1000th win is dumb. That a bad reason to keep any coach around when the game has begun to pass her by. She makes a lot of money to be playing in the NIT.
And Abro I'd buy you a beer anytime. You need to start joining the craft/great Euro beers tastings with us. Time to expand your beer palete :)

Me likey beer ! Have you been going to Monk's with Ken M for Pliny the Elder and Younger? I'm 2 hours from Phil. so it's hard to make it down there. I"ll be in NYC Friday and Saturday for the NCAA Wrestling Championships, and NYC is a craft beer wasteland compared to Phil. Why is that?

Me likey beer ! Have you been going to Monk's with Ken M for Pliny the Elder and Younger? I'm 2 hours from Phil. so it's hard to make it down there. I"ll be in NYC Friday and Saturday for the NCAA Wrestling Championships, and NYC is a craft beer wasteland compared to Phil. Why is that?
I mentioned that in rara's post. NYC is nothing compared to Philly. So many places have the terrible corporate lineup of Bud, Miller Lite, Heineken and Amstel. However Brooklyn is very comparable to Philly.

I think she'll be coaching next year, too. That's not what this is about.

Nor is it an insurgency launched against Stringer's notable accomplishments. She is, in fact, a very accomplished coach with a record that transcends gender and sport.

But in a way, her accomplishments rather support my argument.

We have a very good WBB program.

And in spite of its success, it's still a pretty large net drain on the bottom line - a drain that wouldn't get any bigger with a coach that made a third of her money. The team sold $290,000 worth of tickets in a season when they were 28-9 and won the NIT.

Clearly, people aren't going to support the team with their wallets. If that's the case, if we accept it as an assumption, then we have to consider whether or not the program is worth a considerable investment. If we knock a million a year off of expenses, revenue wouldn't drop by anywhere that amount - it couldn't, even if NOBODY showed up.

The math is actually pretty compelling.

Reactions: WhiteBus

I'm sure for 400k you can get a coach that gets them to the NIT

Reactions: Underdogs88
So if you have something bad to say about the WBB coach on the WBB board the thread quickly gets sent over to the football board? A lesson out of the Tom McAndrew school for message board mods.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT