ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

TSLA failed to break the downward trend with the most recent run to $220. Could not set a new higher high.

Currently at $163ish.

Can it break it's string of lower lows.

I own TSLQ, still slightly in the red on it, though I've been selling calls, so probably in the green all told.

"Overly efficient".

lol......... i love it..
Not accurate?

Just in time inventory?

Overly dependent on China/overseas is a factor too.

Supply chains were fine prior to Covid, and then a complete mess once Covid, and the lockdowns hit. Not sure how one could argue otherwise.

T down 9% on earnings VZ down 3% in sympathy.

T back near 30 year lows. VZ merely back to 10 year lows.

Good div's, and maybe trades at this level, but man, what dud's.
Yeah I’m holding a bunch of T. Days like this make me wonder WTF I was thinking. Even worse, makes you wonder WTF the T BOD is thinking. They are either the most corrupt BOD in corporate America or the dumbest. I gotta dump this POS next time it closes in on $20.

Reactions: T2Kplus20 and RU-05
Yeah I’m holding a bunch of T. Days like this make me wonder WTF I was thinking. Even worse, makes you wonder WTF the T BOD is thinking. They are either the most corrupt BOD in corporate America or the dumbest. I gotta dump this POS next time it closes in on $20.
Ya, I wouldn't dump here, but up near $20 is probably a good time to moveon.org.

Not accurate?

Just in time inventory?

Overly dependent on China/overseas is a factor too.

Supply chains were fine prior to Covid, and then a complete mess once Covid, and the lockdowns hit. Not sure how one could argue otherwise.
You're arguing two totally different things...
Yes, covid EXPOSED a weak supply chain (JITD worked... it was NEVER "fine") it was fragile because it IS antiquated and inefficient and overly-regulated and controlled by absurdist union rules. I'll argue all day the Jones Act is garbage... not sure how anyone could argue otherwise...

My original point stands -- COVID merely EXPOSED a fragile system that was always on the edge of breaking. To the point that those issues caused some of the inflationary pressures we initially saw - they have long since been pushed out of the system - we can agree on that. But, to say "inflation is over" because the supply chain is back to being fragile but running is laughable...

US ports are the LEAST efficient in the world...this was barely supply/demand inflation --- or else eggs and toilet paper would be back down to 2019 level... and they ain't....

it's the $4Trillion printed money...

i'm kinda stunned to see smart people here still arguing inflation was simple Supply vs Demand disequilibrium

Reactions: RUDead
Has MMM bottomed? At 10 year lows right now.

10xPE, 5.6% div. That PE expected to go up due to 2023 earnings coming down, but 2023 is expected to be the trough.
I brought it before but never really moved much but keeping an eye just in case it starts moving upward. I basically broke even.

Reactions: RU-05
You're arguing two totally different things...
Yes, covid EXPOSED a weak supply chain (JITD worked... it was NEVER "fine") it was fragile because it IS antiquated and inefficient and overly-regulated and controlled by absurdist union rules. I'll argue all day the Jones Act is garbage... not sure how anyone could argue otherwise...

My original point stands -- COVID merely EXPOSED a fragile system that was always on the edge of breaking. To the point that those issues caused some of the inflationary pressures we initially saw - they have long since been pushed out of the system - we can agree on that. But, to say "inflation is over" because the supply chain is back to being fragile but running is laughable...

US ports are the LEAST efficient in the world...this was barely supply/demand inflation --- or else eggs and toilet paper would be back down to 2019 level... and they ain't....

it's the $4Trillion printed money...

i'm kinda stunned to see smart people here still arguing inflation was simple Supply vs Demand disequilibrium
Maybe supply chains were antiquated, and maybe they were fragile, but they were working. If you wanted something, you ordered it, and then you got it. Then Covid happened and that was no longer the case.

Covid, and the shutdowns, broke those supply chains. That's the point of the discussion here.

You can argue as to why those supply chains were fragile, I can see those points, but not your point that Covid and the shutdowns didn't break those supply chains, and thus feed inflation.

You can dump it now and put it in something better to make your money back. Don't hold a lemon stock for psychological reasons.

T down 9% on earnings VZ down 3% in sympathy.

T back near 30 year lows. VZ merely back to 10 year lows.

Good div's, and maybe trades at this level, but man, what dud's.
I recently sold my VZ since it actually was going up a few points and when it was break even I sold it because I was holding it too long, a couple of months. I only recovered by buying more at the lower price. If it hits the 52 week low I might buy it again but would have to buy a huge quantity because it only moves a few points,

Last edited:
Maybe supply chains were antiquated, and maybe they were fragile, but they were working. If you wanted something, you ordered it, and then you got it. Then Covid happened and that was no longer the case.

Covid, and the shutdowns, broke those supply chains. That's the point of the discussion here.

You can argue as to why those supply chains were fragile, I can see those points, but not your point that Covid and the shutdowns didn't break those supply chains, and thus feed inflation.
so, now it's "fed" inflation.... not the main/only cause?

glad you agree with everything i wrote... we'll move on.......

More than a few of the moire reliable experts don't expect a kinetic military attack as much as a blockade. China has run the blockage drill a few times already. That can be a tactic to condition opponents to not be desensitized when they do it for real (I recall ISIS victims often looked very calm before being killed. ISIS used to put victims through dry runs). So we could get the economic impact without the fireworks. Personally I'm not in favor of US getting in a war over TSMC. Be nice if Intel could get its act together

Don't want to go OT in this thread so most likely last comment for me on this but if China executes a naval blockade of Taiwan, Taiwan is going to start sinking ships (just got a big delivery of shiny new anti-shipping missiles) and we're off to the races. And the west will be forced to cut China off of the global economy ala Russia whether it's a naval blockade or a kinetic invasion/airstrikes, cutting China off is what ends the world economy as we knew it.

+1
I need a translation for that post. :)
don't ask me... he wrote ", "and thus feed inflation."
I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt...

both of you keep assigning price-inflation to Demand disequilibrium inflation because the ports were closed.... which means we should now be well under way to DEflation..... which is absurd... we'll NEVER see deflation....... just disinflation.

don't ask me... he wrote ", "and thus feed inflation."
I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt...

both of you keep assigning price-inflation to Demand disequilibrium inflation because the ports were closed.... which means we should now be well under way to DEflation..... which is absurd... we'll NEVER see deflation....... just disinflation.
If this was your point from the get go then i missed it and good point.

Now i think that would have played into the transitory argument because at the time it was absolutely a factor.

And while overall we won’t see deflation, in certain sectors we do. Commodities being an obvious one. Lumber, copper, cotton all way off their highs.

Tesla lowering prices is another example. Other auto makes likely to follow suit. Used car prices are coming down as well.

Also not sure if we can say we will never see disinflation given there have been disinflationary periods in this country. Great Depression being a big one but also looks like 2009 was a deflationary year.

Obviously we don’t want the fed to crash the economy to the extent that we will see deflation again but by raising rates and slowing the economy they do want disinflation.

I know they change the math - so it's far from perfect.......... but, it's what we have....

I'll give you 2009..... ah, the good olde days!

cpijune-graph-071322.png

Reactions: RU-05
Also not sure if we can say we will never see disinflation given there have been disinflationary periods in this country. Great Depression being a big one but also looks like 2009 was a deflationary year.

Obviously we don’t want the fed to crash the economy to the extent that we will see deflation again but by raising rates and slowing the economy they do want disinflation.
I think you mixed up terms in the first paragraph

My guess is that question will be answered next month when TSLA reports its earnings. I expect an increase in sales but margin deterioration. Will the market forgive lower margins for higher sales? My guess is "no" in the short term, but long term, the more Tesla cars that are out there, the higher the profit.

The price drop was short lived. Tesla increase the prices as soon as they qualified for the tax credit. Plus, they’ll just book more tax credit to boost margin. I think they will have a decent quarter unless China comes in super weak.

TSLA earnings went exactly as predicted. Margin pressures caused lowering of stock price. As Tesla sells more cars, they will have a chance to monetize on their software which is the next step in the progression of this company. We own 2 of their cars and pay $99 per year for each for premium connectivity and everyone I know does the same. The yearly subscription is similar to Amazon, Costco, Netflix. Just pay it and forget about it. If Tesla makes a deal to put some live content like CNBC, podcasts by making deals with XM or Spotify then they could gradually raise prices. The FSD stuff can be another add on as well.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
TSLA earnings went exactly as predicted. Margin pressures caused lowering of stock price. As Tesla sells more cars, they will have a chance to monetize on their software which is the next step in the progression of this company. We own 2 of their cars and pay $99 per year for each for premium connectivity and everyone I know does the same. The yearly subscription is similar to Amazon, Costco, Netflix. Just pay it and forget about it. If Tesla makes a deal to put some live content like CNBC, podcasts by making deals with XM or Spotify then they could gradually raise prices. The FSD stuff can be another add on as well.
+1
TSLA seems to be trading in margin for share and higher volume. Service margin will make up for this and the move really hurts other EV companies. Definitely a long play.

Bought more TSLA today. Also RIVN and Solid Power to maintain allocation levels in my Fidelity custom ETF.

What do you get for the prem connectivities?

+1
TSLA seems to be trading in margin for share and higher volume. Service margin will make up for this and the move really hurts other EV companies. Definitely a long play.

Bought more TSLA today. Also RIVN and Solid Power to maintain allocation levels in my Fidelity custom ETF.
When you dollar cost average do you buy the same share amount or do you buy the same dollar amount? If you buy the same share amount then you are doing it incorrectly.

When you dollar cost average do you buy the same share amount or do you buy the same dollar amount? If you buy the same share amount then you are doing it incorrectly.
This buy was just an allocation rebalance, so different amounts. Normal buying for this custom ETF is the same every 2 weeks and a set dollar amount (across all 18 holdings).

Reactions: Morrischiano
What do you get for the prem connectivities?
For now, you get traffic, access to Tesla's version of music channels and podcasts, sentry mode, internet browser, etc. I certainly think they should expand the offerings. One way to increase recurring revenue.

For now, you get traffic, access to Tesla's version of music channels and podcasts, sentry mode, internet browser, etc. I certainly think they should expand the offerings. One way to increase recurring revenue.

There goes your gas savings. Does any of those features you can’t get through other 3rd parties?

There goes your gas savings. Does any of those features you can’t get through other 3rd parties?
You can get most of that from third parties, but you are paying for the seamlessness of the tech and the experience. It's sort of like saying why get home internet over using your phone as a hotspot?

Debt ceiling stuff is really starting to hit the bond market...
~30day bond returns are dropping......
go out 4M and returns over 5%.......

it's not so much any risk of actual full-default... it's firms cant risk any delay in cash flows....

The opportunities are there... for those watching...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT