ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

That is probably the most difficult thing to do in the market especially after doing research on a stock, it goes the other way than expected. It’s all about the ego.

10% is random but I see your point.
Or discipline?

Wouldn't any % loss be random?

This was a topic discussed on the compound recently, and it was along the lines of, if you buy a stock, it should be one you are willing to add to if it drops 10%. Batnik bought HD with this in mind.

I'm not asserting a position here in either direction, I just know I've bought some stocks, they drop, sometimes I add, they continue to suck, and two years later I'm owning Disney down 20%.

That is probably the most difficult thing to do in the market especially after doing research on a stock, it goes the other way than expected. It’s all about the ego.

10% is random but I see your point.
Yes, no science on the 10%. Can be whatever someone prefers. But it’s been a good level to get me to stop and think about the position.

Or discipline?

This was a topic discussed on the compound recently, and it was along the lines of, if you buy a stock, it should be one you are willing to add to if it drops 10%. Batnik bought HD with this in mind.

I'm not asserting a position here in either direction, I just know I've bought some stocks, they drop, sometimes I add, they continue to suck, and two years later I'm owning Disney down 20%.

Yes, no science on the 10%. Can be whatever someone prefers. But it’s been a good level to get me to stop and think about the position.

That all depends on the volatility of that stock. You can be whipsawed out on stocks at a 10% stop loss

When to sell should be dependent on various factors that use fundamentals, technicals, volatility and of course personal comfort level. I generally avoid using stop loss unless I am confident of a level. I definitely don't use a level like 5% or 10% for all stocks. That is not to say it is necessarily the wrong thing to do because doing so does help a trader maintain discipline. But deciding when to sell a stock is where the science and psychology of trading meet.

Reactions: RU-05
Or discipline?

Discipline for sure, but no one like to be wrong.

Reactions: RU-05
That all depends on the volatility of that stock. You can be whipsawed out on stocks at a 10% stop loss
Just wanted to make sure I described this accurately. My sell order/stop loss is for a 10% decrease of the original price at purchase. So, if I buy a $100 stock, I set a sell order for if it hits $90. I don't sell the stock with any 10% decline.

Now, if the stock goes NVDA and skyrockets, I will likely reset the order at a higher price to ensure profit. Hope this makes sense! :)

I can see a pullback of 3-5% in the upcoming weeks, but not enough to start pulling a lot of money out of the market. I used this time to sell some losers and match trimming some winners to create cash that can be deployed elsewhere. Definitely no mass selling, but trimming around the edges.
Very reasonable. I have trimmed some of my high-flying growth/tech funds and ETFs. Put the money back into my value holdings to maintain allocation ranges. Last week, I sold a little FDGRX so I can beef up DODGX. Trying to stay disciplined.

FYI - still hold some QLD, CURE, and UWM. Up crazy on QLD (over 100%).
😁

If MSFT can stay above 440 until Wednesday a new higher floor might have been formed based on weekly price action. It’s been among the stonkiest of stonks for sure.
A dollar rally wouldn’t be great for MSFT nor would a surprise long-end inflation-driven yields-go-higher blowup.
Stonks!

Stop losses are your friend. I normally set a 10% max decline before automatically selling. I very well may restart the position, but if it falls a quick 10%, the trend may continue a bit longer than I expected.

Is there any top tech stock that has not had a brief 10% decline? That is a bad week for many high flyers.

This year alone that strategy would have sold Aapl, msft, amzn, and Nvda, and then missed large run ups and possibly triggered taxes.

PS. If you restart the position then what did you gain?

Last edited:
Analysts have revised….
MSFT 12 mo price targets getting upgraded to mid 5 hundy range up to 600.
Stonks!
MSFT + AI =

618f40af05652a6be107d4ba60f7b39c.gif

Can a Roth contribution for one year be split between different institutions?

The total would be under the limit.

Stop losses are your friend. I normally set a 10% max decline before automatically selling. I very well may restart the position, but if it falls a quick 10%, the trend may continue a bit longer than I expected.
Ended up taking about a 42% loss on IDRV today. I finally cut ties with it. I should’ve a long time ago tbh. It’s one of my only losers thankfully. Ended up putting the amount from the sale into Nvidia. Not sure if it’s smart or not but figured I’d make more on that than what it was in previously. Plus Tom Lee has it in his Granny Shots. Can’t go wrong with Mr Lees picks

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Is there any top tech stock that has not had a brief 10% decline? That is a bad week for many high flyers.

This year alone that strategy would have sold Aapl, msft, amzn, and Nvda, and then missed large run ups and possibly triggered taxes.

PS. If you restart the position then what did you gain?
If you sell a stock at 10% loss and then buy it back before 30 days, you would generate a wash sale and couldn’t use the original 10% loss to offset any gains until you sold off your new position.

Case in point would be DELL. Selling it after earnings would have resulted in missing out on the current run up. I expect it to go back up to $175-180 soon

Case in point would be DELL. Selling it after earnings would have resulted in missing out on the current run up. I expect it to go back up to $175-180 soon
As I mentioned before, the 10% is based on my original purchase price. Not selling due to any 10% drop.

I got stopped out yesterday on one of my small-cap biotech plays. Bought it back today after another 5% drop, so that worked out.

As I mentioned before, the 10% is based on my original purchase price. Not selling due to any 10% drop.

I got stopped out yesterday on one of my small-cap biotech plays. Bought it back today after another 5% drop, so that worked out.

Did you have a gain on the 1st sale? If so, no worries. If you had a loss you've got a wash sale

But you created a wash sale

What does TurboTax have to do with it? Wash sale hurts your overall tax situation.
Just saying the forms are automated, so it's not like I need to deal with it directly on my taxes. As for my overall tax situation, these positions are relatively small. If I need to make major moves (say with our brokerage ETFs), these smaller moves won't make much of a difference.

And of course, I can always just sell the entire position if I needed the offset (and it's still underwater).

Just saying the forms are automated, so it's not like I need to deal with it directly on my taxes. As for my overall tax situation, these positions are relatively small. If I need to make major moves (say with our brokerage ETFs), these smaller moves won't make much of a difference.

And of course, I can always just sell the entire position if I needed the offset (and it's still underwater).
Got it. These trades must only be a few bucks. If I did what you did, my CPA would tell me to quit my partnership.

Reactions: RUBlackout
Do you care about los
No, not necessarily. Why would I care about a loss if I believe there is something better to do with the money? I would rather dump and move on instead of hold on to a loser in attempts to prove myself right.

No, not necessarily. Why would I care about a loss if I believe there is something better to do with the money? I would rather dump and move on instead of hold on to a loser in attempts to prove myself right.
Losses are important to offset gains. I use them to reduce tax burden in the short and long term.

Got it. These trades must only be a few bucks. If I did what you did, my CPA would tell me to quit my partnership.
My personal account is about $150k. Nothing crazy, but legit money. Half of it is in FS Insights stock list and QLD (which I'm up 2x). This rest is for stocks and other fun plays. Started this account with only $20k, so I'm doing well! :)

Our real investment wealth remains in funds and ETFs.

Losses are important to offset gains. I use them to reduce tax burden in the short and long term.
Understand and agree. I had a huge gain in TQQQ last year and I used the October 2023 dip to swap some newer ETF positions that were underwater. I was able to offset that entire gain! That saved us a lot of money.

Understand and agree. I had a huge gain in TQQQ last year and I used the October 2023 dip to swap some newer ETF positions that were underwater. I was able to offset that entire gain! That saved us a lot of money.
Good move. That’s why it is important to use capital loss and gains appropriately. If the account is like 10% of your entire portfolio then wash sales likely won’t matter much. Otherwise, you should use losses and gains appropriately. I have spreadsheets that I constantly update to keep track of my gains and losses across my entire portfolio.

The SEC quietly closed their case against Ethereum with no charges. Their head of Crypto Enforcement resigned. I see very little chance that they don’t lose their case against Coinbase. $coin looks primed for the next leg up.

The SEC quietly closed their case against Ethereum with no charges. Their head of Crypto Enforcement resigned. I see very little chance that they don’t lose their case against Coinbase. $coin looks primed for the next leg up.
The political winds regarding crypto have changed. DC is figuring out that 50 million Americans own crypto and our voice is growing.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
GILD has gotten a couple good headlines recently.

@T2Kplus20 thoughts?
GILD is a great company that recently dipped due to its transition in focus - diversifying away from HCV and one big clinical fail several months ago. Regardless, it still has a robust and promising pipeline. Today's data announcement is big. The preliminary data was so positive, they stopped the trial to give the new product to all participants (which is inline with ethical and moral guidelines).

The company is likely undervalued.

Gilead’s Twice-Yearly Lenacapavir Demonstrated 100% Efficacy and Superiority to Daily Truvada® for HIV Prevention

PURPOSE 1 met its key efficacy endpoints of superiority of twice-yearly lenacapavir to once-daily oral Truvada® (emtricitabine 200mg and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate 300mg; F/TDF) and background HIV incidence (bHIV). Based on these results, the independent Data Monitoring Committee (DMC) recommended that Gilead stop the blinded phase of the trial and offer open-label lenacapavir to all participants.

“With zero infections and 100% efficacy, twice-yearly lenacapavir has demonstrated its potential as an important new tool to help prevent HIV infections,” said Merdad Parsey, MD, PhD, Chief Medical Officer, Gilead Sciences. “We look forward to additional results from the ongoing PURPOSE clinical program and continuing toward our goal of helping to end the HIV epidemic for everyone, everywhere.”

Reactions: redking and RU-05
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT